Start by marking “The Chaos Function” as Want to Read:
The Chaos Function

The Chaos Function

For readers of the best‑selling novels Sleeping Giants and Dark Matter, an intense, high‑stakes thriller with a science‑fiction twist that asks: If technology enabled you to save the life of someone you love, would you do so even if it might doom millions?

Olivia Nikitas, a hardened journalist whose specialty is war zones, has been reporting from the front lines of the c
Published March 19th 2019 by John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos Function, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chaos Function

Theresa
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In compliance with FTC guidelines------I received this book free from a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. The content of this review is not influenced by that fact. The feelings expressed are solely mine. I sincerely appreciate the chance to read and review this book.

4 1/2 stars!!

This was a fun book to read. Not a fun subject but exciting, a real edge-of-your-seat thrill ride. The funny thing is -- as a movie genre this is one my favorites but it certainly is not a genre I reg
Danny Tyran
I won't summarize this novel, others have done it before me. I'll only give my impressions. This is not the first time travel or apocalyptic novel I read, far from it. We can say that I have some bases on which to build my expectations.

We could say that this novel is more a road book (literary equivalent of a "road movie"), because the story takes place mainly on the road. I don't understand the usefulness of all this travelling, given that Olivia (or Liv for his friends), the main character, ca
Kitten Kisser
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining & Forgettable

While this book moved at a decent pace & was entertaining, it lacked enough depth for me to really care about it one way or the other once I was finished.

First, it was totally unbelievable that the main character, Olivia was so in love with Brian that she would potentially risk the lives of millions just to keep him alive. The only way you really know Olivia loves Brian is because she says she let him "get his foot in the door". There is no passion whatsoever b
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Olivia is a hardened journalist in Aleppo, Syria when something earth shattering happens. She’s not exactly sure WHAT happened, but it literally changed reality. What follows is a gripping novel that is part thriller, part science fiction. Perfect for fans of Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter.
Marlene
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

There’s a quote from The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam that goes,

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

This is a story about what happens when someone has the power to lure that Moving Finger back to cancel more than half a line – but does not – as no human does – have the wisdom to determine whether that cancellation was, or was not, the ri
Scott
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this book, but I couldn’t put it down and finished it in just two days.

The story moves along at a very quick pace with no “wasted scenes” — every scene propels the action forward. There were some choices that I couldn’t quite get behind, but nothing that was out of character or felt like the invisible hand of the author guiding the plot, so I chalk the illogical choices up to the characters making rash decisions in a high-stakes scenario.

This book is high-
Brenda Cooper
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Chaos Function is a scary-good mix of physics, politics, and fear. I took it with me for a weekend at the beach and it kept me up late at night by the fire, reading far longer than I intended to. Not only did the story feel plausible, the characters felt real, and I found myself rooting for the main character, Olivia, hoping she would find a way out of a diabolical dilemma.
I got my copy as an ARC, which let me read give it an advance reading.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
**I received this ARC from the publisher at NYCC**

There were only two things that kept this from being a 4 star book for me. 1) sometimes I had a hard time liking Olivia and 2) it dragged a bit at the end - there's a big build up to what she needs to do and a sense of urgency that seems to get forgotten in the last 30 pages. Other than that I thought this was a really original and interesting story. It was also a good take on the philosophical debate about sacrificing some to save many.
Jackie Rogers
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book i thought here we go again with another war novel. After getting into it I could not put it down. Is a most interesting read about a journalist in Syria and her new love. Is science fiction when a bug is transferred from one dying person to a live one. Thus the begin a journey that faces the end of the world and only one person can fix it. Will cost her everything. Loved this book. Thanks to Goodreads
Joe Crowe
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one is a political thriller. It's also a relationship drama. It's also an old-school sci-fi story, the kind that asks, "If you could do (insert crazy sci-fi thing here) would you? And if you did (insert crazy sci-fi thing here) what would happen?"

The author seamlessly combines all three things, deftly balancing each thing. The story alternates between gripping, heart-wrenching, and compellingly emotional.

(review from an advance copy.)
Maudaevee
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This just may not of been my thing, it was a little hard for me to get into.
Carol
  • The Municipalists
  • Wanderers
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Headspace
  • Helen (The Administration, #4.5)
  • The Razor
  • The Tabernacle of Legion
  • Soulflowing Fire
  • Gyrfalcon (Taking Shield, #1)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Magic for Liars