Start by marking “The Hummingbird Dagger” as Want to Read:
The Hummingbird Dagger

The Hummingbird Dagger

1833. After young Lord James Ellerby witnesses a near-fatal carriage accident on the outskirts of his estate, he doesn't think twice about bringing the young woman injured in the wreck to his family's manor to recuperate. But then she finally regains consciousness only to find that she has no memory of who she is or where she belongs.

Beth, as she takes to calling herself,
Published April 16th 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Hummingbird Dagger, please sign up.
BRT I read somewhere that it is but there is quite a bit of murder, cruelty, and violence, so perhaps for older Young adults.

Start your review of The Hummingbird Dagger
Stacee
I’ve enjoyed all of the Cindy’s previous books and considering the murder aspect of this one, I was all in. Sadly, I’m wondering if 3 stars is too high of a rating.

I liked Beth and James well enough. It’s an interesting set up and I enjoyed seeing their relationship grow as they leaned on each other. Caroline was a lovely friend and I liked how supportive and accepting she was. The characters were easy to root for, yet also a little flat.

Plot wise it was a struggle. It was quite boring and
Alyssa
Yaaaasss, OF COURSE I want to read Cindy Anstey's next book???? DUHHHH???? ...more
Jessie_Book
This book starts with a bang and the rest is basically a whimper. If your into flat characters sitting around talking to each other the way I imagine robots do this is the book for you. There is no emotion on a single page. None of the characters have chemistry together making every conversation painfully boring to read. The brother of the main guy in the book was the only interesting one but thats not saying much, I can't even remember his name. There is a mystery element that is kind on ...more
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Cindy Anstey's latest novel The Hummingbird Daggercaught my attention when I saw it described as Regency literature for YA. You all may remember I decided to give the YA genre a fair shot last year and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

So when I saw a book written in the style of Jane Austen full of mystery, mistaken identity, and an MC in grave danger who has lost her memory, I was all in.

The new Lord James Ellerby is stunned to witness his young brother Walter racing carelessly into the
Kayla Brunson
I have been “reading” this book for about three weeks now. I have dropped and picked this book up quite a few times. I think it’s about time to call it quits and DNF. I read up to about 48% of the book and NOTHING was happening. It was just a ton of dialogue.

I did like the idea of the book and love a good Regency novel, but the execution wasn’t very good for me.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Amy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, and-a-half
1.5 Stars
Probably closer to 1 star than 2 stars but yesterday I rated a book I absolutely loathed one star and it seems super extreme to lump them together. I didn't hate this book.
I just felt sooooooooooooooooooo bored by it.
The thing is, I generally like Cindy Anstey's books and was super excited when Michelle found an ARC for me. I expected something fluffy and cute.
Instead I got...murder.
Which I would normally be totally down for but somehow I just could not get into it. I never felt the
Rebecca
After seeing the cover and synopsis on NetGalley, I couldn't request the book fast enough. Despite the interesting beginning, the rest of the book fell flat. The storyline itself was slow paced and uneventful. Furthermore, I found myself mostly unattached to any of the characters. The constant abrupt changes in scene/time was never denoted and proved confusing and eventually frustrating. (Even if this was due to early review status, it should not have been presented this way.)

Sadly, this isn't
Jill Williamson
I'm always game for a sweet Regency romance novel, and the Hummingbird Dagger didn't disappoint. The premise of a mysterious young houseguest with amnesia was a fun twist on the genre. I enjoyed the characters. James was practically flawless, though. It would have been nice to see him a little more rounded. I liked Beth and Caroline. Both were strong female characters in a time when strength wasn't of much value. I think I enjoyed James's little brother Walter's character most of all, even when ...more
Bitchin' Reads
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, I finished this days ago and forgot to update the status. It was an interesting story. Reads like a murder mystery written in the same style as Austen, Bronte, and their contemporaries. It was slow to start, but by the halfway mark it really picked up.
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Whenever I hear an announcement for a new Cindy Anstey book, I get excited. She usually has the perfect blend of mystery, intrigue, and YA regency romance. Unfortunately, The Hummingbird Dagger missed the mark for me.

Plot-wise, this book was kind of all over the place. The first half seemed to drag on, alternating between Beth being in danger and the characters trying to conduct a surreptitious search to figure out her identity. Overall, it felt repetitive. The ending was my favorite part,
Becca | Pages & Postcards
I don't know much about this book but that cover *gasp*
Sophie
I think this is my favourite of Cindy’s! Review to come.
Tien
I just adored Anstey's debut, Love, Lies and Spies which is a bit like an Austenesque romp. It was just a fun easy read so I didn't hesitate to pick this one up. The Hummingbird Dagger though sounds a little more gothic and even the cover hinted at something more sinister than her other books. Then again, I just lurve mysteries! This is a win-win for me :)

One of my favourite tropes is a protagonist suffering amnesia at the beginning of the novel and having to slowly regain their memories and
Isabel Ibañez
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, entertaining read! Spooky of course, and different from the author’s other books. I am such a sucker for mysteries, anything remotely English or resembling a Jane Austen novel. And really, that’s what this book felt like: a blend of Jane Austen, Jack the Ripper, and your favorite cozy mystery. While the cast is large, everyone felt realized and fully drawn, and I enjoyed the different POV shifts.

The romance was lovely, and sweet and a perfect subplot to the darker tones of murder,
Sami
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart-racing Regency mystery with memory loss, kidnappings, and, of course, a breathtaking romance. Anstey has hit her stride in the Regency rom-com genre, so this change of pace into the slightly macabre was a pleasant and welcome surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed every twist, turn, and scandalous forehead kiss in this daring addition to Antsey's repertoire.
Maggie
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 Stars!

I loved The Hummingbird Dagger! It was filled with mystery and intrigue with great characters, and the eerie dark depths of Beth's past. This novel was not the non stop action and death like other books, but I liked that about it. The setting felt so real and true. Some reviewers thought the characters were dull, flat, and sat around in a boring way throughout the middle of the novel. I, on the other hand, did not think that at all. I found myself constantly amused and curious about the
Victoria
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
I think my rating for this one is more of a 2.5 stars.
I was excited to get this as a GR giveaway. I was looking forward to a fun Victorian England mystery.
I loved the title.
The cover is gorgeous.

Turns out, those are my only favorite things about this book.

The story starts off with the proverbial bang.
Then slows down.
Maybe speeds up... but doesn't.
Maybe speeds up again... nope.

It's not until about chapters 22 & 23 do things get going... (there are 24 chapters with a prologue & an
Elevetha
First off, absolutely incredible cover!! Sadly, the contents within failed to live up to the promises that the cover made.

While there was a mystery, I felt like it was trying to be far more mysterious and chilling than it ever remotely accomplished. The writing was not a bit different than Anstey's other books, which have cute covers and don't involve as much blood and possible murders as this. Something just did not work for me here. The writing needed a different tone for me to really get
Paige Green
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this book from Swoon Reads and Netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 1.5/5

Publication Date: April 16, 2019

Genre: Mystery Romance

Recommended Age: 15+ (lots of dialogue and a murder)

Publisher: Swoon Reads

Pages: 352

Amazon Link

Synopsis: 1833. After young Lord James Ellerby witnesses a near-fatal carriage accident on the outskirts of his estate, he doesn't think twice about bringing the young woman injured in the wreck to his family's manor
Morrisa
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve ready two of Cindy Anstey’s books before, and I’m absolutely ADDICTED. I love her writing style and her choice of time period. This novel had much more mystery and brutal-ness to it than her other novels. I also flew through reading this, it took me like two or three days. When books have mysteries in them I tend to fly through like no tomorrow to try and figure everything out.

My only critique regarding the plot was that there were way too many names and characters involved in the plot.
Samantha Hastings
A young woman is injured in a carriage accident and has amnesia. She’s taken in by Lord James Ellerby and his sister Caroline. At first, they think she’s a servant, but they realize that she’s educated. Who is she really? And why was she covered with cuts and bruises?

What I loved :
1. The plot moves very quickly, starting with the carriage crash. The mystery unfurls piece by piece with several red herrings and false identities.
2. Beth (the name the young woman chooses) has terrible nightmares
Briana
I may need to stop reading Cindy Anstey books. I enjoyed her debut novel, but I think each of her books has been worse than the one before it, finally leading me to give this, book 5, two stars. (And, weirdly, the Goodreads ratings seem to agree. Normally authors' later books are rated higher than their earlier books, as people who dislike their work stop reading and fans continue, making the ratings higher. The fact that there is a clear downward rating trend with each of Anstey's books makes ...more
Kate
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read this book because of its setting: 1800s England. I’m all for the industrial revolution/steam punk/etc. vibes. However, this book just fell super flat for me.
I wasn’t even remotely invested in the book until around the last 50 pages, and even then I wasn’t too attached to the characters.
All the characters seemed flat, and I didn’t really have any sort of draw to them. The plot seemed boring, and I solved the mystery very quickly and saw what was coming.
Also, I feel like
Lauren - SERIESous Books
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is a voluntary review; all opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I was really excited to see what Cindy Anstey would do with a slightly darker novel...and I was certainly NOT disappointed! It has all the charm of her previous novels with the right dash of suspense and mystery to keep you hooked.

It is very reminiscent of Victorian era murder mysteries. It's a lot of dialogue at times but I enjoyed the banter
Received advance reader’s copy from publisher through Baker & Taylor book supplier. Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Lord James Ellerby witnesses a carriage accident and brings a severely injured young girl to his manor to heal. As she recovers and finds she has lost her memory, her behaviors offer the only clue to her identity as it shows her to be a woman of education and good upbringing. As James and his sister Caroline work to help the woman who calls herself Beth recover her memory, more and
Dayle (the literary llama)
An entertaining read with a nice plot that became better and better as the book went on, though the beginning was a little slow.

The only standout character, however, was the younger brother, Walter. The rest of the main characters were just average and bland. They didn’t have any unique characteristics or mannerisms, leaving an underdeveloped feeling to them. Any quirks of speech or appearance all went to the secondary characters.

The mysteries were compelling, though, and kept me reading and
Camille
Sep 02, 2019 marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-soon
Despite The Hummingbird Dagger having a unique and intriguing premise, the plot is moving too slowly for me; there's been very little development of both the mystery and the romance, even after a third of the book. Although I'm interested in seeing how everything plays out, I'm not engaged enough to continue reading. I hope I’m in the mood to return to it at a different time, but for now I’m setting it aside.
Jenny
More of a mystery, and much less light hearted than her other stuff. It feels like it was a rushed writing - characters were sometimes inconsistent. (For example, Caroline is described as unconventional and odd but we never really see that) Mostly it went fairly slowly, although overall an interesting mystery.
3 stars
Elysia
I finally finished it. This book was definitely not for me. I think it's just too young, I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had read it quite a few years ago, but I've definitely aged out of this kind of young adult.

I'm sure there will be people who enjoy reading this book, even if you just want a bucketful of cringe-induced laughs
Aly
description

I seriously almost considered DNFing this multiple times. I just wasn't a fan, and the payoff at the end just wasn't worth it. Sad because I really was looking forward to this one! I even ended up holding off on finishing this and reading other books instead...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Lady Rogue
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • All Is Fair
  • The Memory Thief
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Soul of Stars (Heart of Iron, #2)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • Romanov
  • The Sword and the Dagger
  • The Raven's Tale
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • To Best the Boys
  • Smoke and Key
Whenever she is not sitting at the computer, painting, gardening or reading, Cindy can be found--actually, not found--adventuring around the province with her hubby.

She has lived on three continents, had a monkey in her yard and a scorpion under her sink, dwelt among castles and canals and enjoyed the jazz of Beale St.

Cindy loves history, mystery and... a chocolate Labrador called Chester. The