Start by marking “Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep” as Want to Read:
Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep

In his previous collection, Not Quite so Stories, David S. Atkinson twisted reality with small absurdities. Roses are Red, Violets are Stealing Loose Change from my Pockets While I Sleep leaves sanity completely behind, pondering modern life through surreal humorous flash fiction involving Margaret Thatcher, jam appearing in boxers overnight, Gene Roddenberry, and more.
Published July 1st 2018 by Literary Wanderlust

Be the first to ask a question about Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep

Start your review of Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep
Danger
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy and blurb this bad boy. Here it is:

"Brace yourselves, fair readers, because [Roses are Red, Violets are Stealing Loose Change from my Pockets While I Sleep] is one weird ride. David S. Atkinson’s stories don’t just walk the fine line between satire and surrealism, they dance on top of it while juggling knives. From the hilarious titles, to their far-out premises, to the noodle-like leaps of logic that dictates how each of these micro-universes function:
Bryce Allen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet, scatological and superlative - David S. Atkinson’s collection of flash fiction stories offers a reading experience like no other. Incorporating a vast array of pop culture references from throughly the high/low brow spectrum and drawing from an impressively eclectic imagination that blends absurdism with astute observational humor, this is a fun and entertaining book that showcases the flash format very well!

Mark Stevens
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shake it up, stir it up, mix it up … go ahead and hit that button all the way over there on the right. The one past grind and blend. Yes, puree. Toss all those words and ideas in the glass container, make sure the rubber lid is snugly secured, and lean on that power button with all you’ve got.

The stories in "Roses are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep" give you that feeling that anything goes. No, it’s not a feeling. It’s a fact. Anything does, indeed, go. The
Ches Smith
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absurd delight!
Michael Kilman
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's one of those that you can pick up and read any piece of flash fiction and chuckle to yourself. I am pretty sure I am going to read this one through quite a few times. The author is just hilarious and some of the weird stuff he comes up with made me laugh all throughout the day when something would remind me of the passage. I look forward to reading more of this guys work.
Valentina
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short stories are always tricky beasts, with how tough they are to write in direct proportion to their length. That is why it can be so great to read a collection of very short stories that offers up laughter, great prose, and wild absurdities that bring into focus the very real ones we live with every day.

There are lots of laugh-out-loud moments. There are some sentences that you will not expect to see, such as "The elephants threatened to post pictures of the shoes naked online for everyone t
Ben Arzate
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
Full Review

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep is an entertaining and hilarious collection of totally absurd short fiction. Atkinson shows what the form of flash fiction really is capable of. He fits more substance in one page than many writers can fit in ten. This book will upend many people's expectations of what fiction is supposed to be, but that's all the more reason to recommend it.
Timothy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flash fiction which covered surreal, real and otherwise
Nancy Stohlman
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David S. Atkinson’s imagination is a beast unleashed! The stories in Roses are Red, Violets are Stealing Loose Change from My Pockets While I Sleep are bizarre and hilarious, taking us into a highly peculiar landscape with scenarios that leave me wondering: Where does he come up with this stuff? Narrated with his signature intellectual deadpan (think “straight man”) and featuring labyrinthian titles that unroll all the way to near slapstick, Atkinson leads us from one outlandish situation to the ...more
Susan Brooks
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny. Evil. Funny.
Len Joy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are addictive. I think it’s the titles. How can you resist reading “Extreme Couponing Can Yield a Month’s Worth of Existential Dread for Less than Three Dollars Canadian”? Or “Deliberately Missing Henry Kissinger.”

The stories are all short, but packed with calories so you need to pace yourself.

Excellent work.
Emmett Grogan
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection of absurd “flash fiction” reminds me of both MAD magazine and the “Letters from the Editors” section in the National Lampoon of the late 1970s: weird; funny; mixing obscure pop culture references with the intelligence of high literary allusions; great creative energy. Like stand-up comedy or spoken word poetry, these are the type of pieces I would like to see read out loud in a crowded room. Good fun in short doses.
Nick
Toph
Loise Wanjiku
akalla
Sep 07, 2018
David S. Atkinson is the author of books such as "Roses are Red, Violets are Stealing Loose Change from my Pockets While I Sleep" (forthcoming July 1, 2018), "Apocalypse All the Time," and the Nebraska book award winning "Not Quite so Stories." He is a Staff Reader for "Digging Through The Fat" and his writing appears in "Spelk," "Jellyfish Review," "Thrice Fiction," "Literary Orphans," and more. ...more

News & Interviews