Start by marking “The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You” as Want to Read:
The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You

The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You

Instant Wall Street Journal Bestseller!

Congratulations, you're a manager! After you pop the champagne, accept the shiny new title, and step into this thrilling next chapter of your career, the truth descends like a fog: you don't really know what you're doing.

That's exactly how Julie Zhuo felt when she became a rookie manager at the age of 25. She stared at a long list of
Published March 19th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Manager

Start your review of The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
Carol
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new managers
The management book I've been looking for! Whereas most management books are written by CEOs and sometimes stuffy authoritarian types, Julie Zhou writes this for the newbie manager with an accessible, conversational tone. Practical advice you can immediately put to use is peppered with anecdotes from Julie's baby steps in management.

I'd recommend this for new managers and anyone looking to see if management is for them or not.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review
Elvina Zafril
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pansing
description

Really love this book!

The Making of a Manager by Julie Zhuo is my first book about business management.

I’ve read one article by Julie Zhuo but I didn’t realize it was really her until my colleague told me that this is the same person.

I really am glad that I got the chance to read this book. The author has become a manager when she was 25 and had no idea what to do and where she should start with. Just imagine a lot of experiences she gained from the start, especially her mistakes.

This book reall
Anton
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent new release! Clear and succinct delivery, undoubtedly useful for the target audience. I would look at it as a remastered High Output Management by Andy Grove aimed a the modern age new managers.

The downside is that is premised on a setting that is hardly universal. Most examples would resonate if you are working in a (for the lack of better term) ‘white-collar’ job, possibly in tech sector. But if you are exposed to managing teams in a ‘blue-collar’ environment some of the advice may r
Carol (Bookaria)
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone in a managerial position or aspiring to fulfill one. It is also great for anyone working in a team or collaborative environment, which is almost anyone.

I found the advice practical and down to earth. The author did not use structured terms but rather kept the tone conversational and approachable.

Highly recommend it for anyone working in fast paced, dynamic environment who wishes to be a good leader and team member.
Abbey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! While I’m new to the world of management books, I really enjoyed this and tabbed it like crazy. I know I’ll be returning to this over the next several months, if not years. It’s inspiring and honest, motivational and exciting. Let’s do something great - after all, as Zhuo ends with, the journey is only 1% done.
Steven Ritchie
This was a 3.5 book. There were a couple chapters I felt were quite valuable, and many that I had 0 notes for.
Jeffrey
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really tried with this book, but for every good idea there was one that doesn’t apply to the service fields. And no matter what she was saying I kept thinking, “You work for Facebook. You’re okay with working for Facebook.” And she’d lose all credibility with me.
Lynn
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
20% company values & the People Portal, 30% internal training like Fast Feedback & Situational Leadership, 30% various Workplace notes on "This is how you X at Facebook", 10% company PR, plus 10% or less of her personal experience.
The book feels very Facebook and a little less personal, probably because Julie helped to shape its culture but was still at the company when she wrote it. Managers new to Facebook will probably find this very helpful.
Samantha
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admit I wasn't aware of Julie Zhuo before hearing about this book but now I am her biggest fan! Zhuo is the VP, Product Design at Facebook, having successfully worked her way up the ranks. She first became a manager at 25 and wasn't sure where to start, what she should be doing and what she should NOT be doing! As you can imagine, she has learned a huge amount from this experience, especially her own mistakes. This book is a really approachable guide for managers, whether you are new or experi ...more
Jonathan Mckay
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Julie Zhuo had a great career at Facebook starting from managing people at 25 to becoming the de-facto head of design for the entire company.

Making of a Manager covers both the autobiographical aspects of how she started as a manager at Facebook, and adds in a few frameworks, learnings and anecdotes from the journey. Like the rest of Silicon Valley, Zhuo assumes a given set of cultural norms, and much of her advice ends up being applicable only to flatter tech-centric organizations. Books like
Manuela Barcenas
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd highly recommend reading Julie Zhuo's The Making of a Manager. It's the perfect resource for new managers and experienced managers looking to improve their leadership skills.

Julie's style is clear, fun, and extremely relatable. I loved the examples she provides and the illustrations that go with them.

The book covers topics such as:
-The true definition of management
-What to do during your first few months in the job
-How to develop trust with your direct reports
-How to prepare for meetings (an
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Because I am in digital technology management, I tend to read mostly management books by Silicon Valley authors. However, I am in the Midwest, and the issues I regularly face are not really acknowledged in most of these books. This is no exception. I wish I worked in a world where my biggest issues were filling all my headcount needs and nurturing overly ambitious employees. Try writing a book about working with what you have when it is not nearly enough, or finding an internal backfill outside ...more
Michał Węgrzyn
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Julie does not go deep into topics, but rather provides a solid checklist build on her long experience as a manager in Facebook.

70% or more is about people skills and process of building a team.
There are some interesting ideas that could be implemented.

Overall a solid book targeted to junior to mid-level managers.
Sharry Lu
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Learned a lot from the book. Feels like having a personal mentor. The author is frank and humble in her writing, allowing me to learn from failures and mistakes.

Notes:
- a manager: get better outcome of a group of people thru influencing purpose people and process
-to measure a manager: 1/2 is on teams results did u achieve goals (present outcome). 1/2 is on strength and satisfaction of team (future outcome) -
- 3 things managers think about all day:
- 1) purpose (the why) - everyone should belie
Elina
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could find lot of advices in this book for myself. Enjoyed book simpliest way how to talk about important things.
Aksel Nooitgedagt
Sep 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Very good book for me on my current career stage. Gives a lot of guidance on how to deal with different management topic coming up in a tech company as ours. I found the book to be pretty practical as it gives concrete advices on topics like: hiring, staffing, what should be the main goal of a manager, feedback, 1:1, how to organize meetings and more.

Highly recommendable if you are a manager in a tech company. However, the book is mostly intended for middle managers - there is nothing about CEO
Anitajt
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then I read a book that inspires me, this book is written in a very readable, honest and frank way. The paragraph I will take away with me is;
‘Learning how to be a great leader means learning about your superpowers and flaws, learning how to navigate the obstacles in your head, and learning how to learn. With these tools comes the confidence that you’re meant to be just as you are - no masks or pretences needed and that you are ready for whatever challenges lie ahead’.
A must for e
Simão Freitas
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and I have an urge to start it all over again. If I ended up taking notes, it would probably amount to the same number of pages as the book itself such are the great insights contained in it. One of the, if not The, most valuable management books I’ve read so far, given from the perspective of a person that grew and learned on the job. I’ve identified with so many situations of the book that it serves almost as a tutorial for my case. I won’t take all of it as is of cou ...more
Dmitriy Rozhkov
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As you read more books it's hard giving them a rating. One should always drop back to a beginners mind when giving stars.

The book has certainly a fair amount of knowledge I've read before. Yet it provides a good gradual introduction step by step into a managerial role. It's not a comprehensive book, but rather an outline of milestones with some must know pieces of advice.
Sagar Chamoli
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
One of my friends recommended me this book and I'm so glad that he did. This book is authored by Julie Zhuo who was the first intern at Facebook and was assigned a manager role at the rookie age of 25. Very nicely she have narrated how her experience was and what are the real time feelings and challenges one goes through it. She have given the practical tips and suggestions which will be helpful to new as well as an experienced manager. 3 biggest take away from this book-

1. A MANAGER’S JOB IS TO
Christina
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book serves well for someone who's never been a manager, or for someone who's a manager but feels like they're floundering. It covers the priorities and focuses of a manager well, in a holistic manner. In this respect, it's also a great book for someone who's trying to manage up, or trying to understand their manager's focuses better.

However, this book does get a bit confused and confusing. Some parts, such as "managing yourself," reads like any general employee self-help book without any "
Swapnil Agarwal
Aug 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Your report should never be left wondering: What does my manager think of me? If you think she is the epitome of awesome, tell her. If you don’t think she is operating at the level you’d like to see, she should know that too, and precisely why you feel that way. This hit me hard because I felt restless wondering about the same question frequently a few years back. I'm now consciously bringing this up in my weekly 1:1s. Other learnings were around delegation and caring for your team. Your job as ...more
Joshua Hynes
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a new manager, I find Julie’s book was exactly what I needed. Thoughtful, insightful, and amazingly practical, Julie not only lays out the what and why of managing, but also the how-to as well. Rich with relatable examples and an approachable writing style, “The Making of a Manager” is required reading for managers–new or old–in my opinion.
sherry
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good book for first time managers. It was fine. Some chapters were better than others -- I particularly liked how Zhuo starts off asking why the reader wants to be a manager (is it just the path of promotion vs. wanting to be a truly good manager/mentor) and the chapter on feedback.
Erin
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is one of the best books I've read on management - both realistic and helpful. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking down the barrel of a new promotion or job transition. ...more
Aimee
Sep 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I haven't even finished this book and already it has been incredibly insightful and helpful. Told in an accessible, conversational tone, this book gets to the human element of being a manager: how to be the best you, so that you can be the best you for your team. I can tell this book is going to accompany me along the rest of my career. ...more
Matthias
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very practical advice and fluently written.
Becky
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful dive into the realities of being a first time manager. I wish I would have found this sooner!
May (a novel reader)
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like a lot of books on management and leadership come from long-time leaders who are kind of disassociated from what it's like to first start out-- which, let's be honest, is going to be the majority of the people who look toward a book on how to be a manager. So I enjoyed the hell out of Zhuo's candid, often funny, very insightful words on how weird it is to go from a peer to a manager, how to inspire people, how to gain trust, etc. I highly recommend this book for any new leader and I'm ...more
Angelos Karagkiozidis
I found the book rather bland. Julie's prose is definitely not my cup of tea. Some too perfect examples with perfect outcomes and advice that only make sense in a specific type of environment. ...more

• The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

“This is the crux of management: It is the belief that a team of people can achieve more than a single person going it alone. It is the realization that you don’t have to do everything yourself, be the best at everything yourself, or even know how to do everything yourself. Your job, as a manager, is to get better outcomes from a group of people working together.” 8 likes
“Your role as a manager is not to do the work yourself, even if you are the best at it, because that will only take you so far. Your role is to improve the purpose, people, and process of your team to get as high a multiplier effect on your collective outcome as you can.” 6 likes