Start by marking “Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel” as Want to Read:
Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel

Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  5,380 ratings  ·  1,170 reviews
Hocus Pocus is beloved by Halloween enthusiasts all over the world. Diving once more into the world of witches, this electrifying two-part young adult novel, released on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the 1993 film, marks a new era of Hocus Pocus. Fans will be spellbound by a fresh retelling of the original film, followed by the all-new sequel that continues the story wit ...more
Published July 10th 2018 by Freeform

To ask other readers questions about Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel, please sign up.
Ellsworth Villard The fact that so many people are pressed at the fact that the book includes an LGBT romance and two black characters just goes to show that inclusion…moreThe fact that so many people are pressed at the fact that the book includes an LGBT romance and two black characters just goes to show that inclusion is necessary. Literally nobody ever complains about being force fed hetero romances or Caucasian leads but god forbid we have a lesbian and an interracial romance in one book. It's suddenly too much for the unsuspecting (white) audience.

Y'all don't even try to hide your bigotry anymore.(less)
Bailey yes this book would be appropriate for kids its a thrilling and exciting book with adventure always right around the corner!

·  5,380 ratings  ·  1,170 reviews

Emma Giordano
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This ain’t it, folks.

I really did not enjoy this book. While the novelization of the movie was fine for the most part, the sequel destroyed my reading experience. (Most of my rating/review is based on the sequel as the first portion of the story is the same as the film. I gave it two stars because the novelization deserves a three for still being part of the novel, but the sequel deserves one.)

As for the first part of the story which is basically just a novelization of the film
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Read this for the Fiction Faction book club this month! Liveshow will be Sunday October 21st at 5pm EST on Tashapolis' channel!
Caitlin Bronson
A mess, a mess, a mess!

Oh my. How I've longed for and dreaded this day.

"Hocus Pocus" is such a lightning-in-a-bottle film. Like other cult movies, it was panned on release but managed to gain a wide base of loyal fans...including me! I can't think of another film that manages to capture the joy of the holiday quite as well: the beautiful aesthetic; the nostalgia; the ba
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
You guys are kidding me!!! This is not going to be a book… Wait it is? In that case... AHHHH!!!!! That was a sequel of delight!!!! Hocus Pocus is one of my all time favorite movies!! The Sanderson sisters crack me up!

Nani i had guess we had better have that heart attack together son because this book is bound to give me one… Remember we said that if we croak then we croak together… Hahaha

I cannot wait for this to hit the library and i cannot wait to check it out!!!!
Sh3lly
This is the first time Disney has "granted my wish" through Netgalley! Release date: July 10, 2018

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Sep 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) by: Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
I NEED THIS YESTERDAY
Ashley
You know those TV shows that continue past their prime and loyal viewers want to pretend the last few seasons never happened because it destroys the magic of the earlier seasons? That's what this book is. I love Hocus Pocus and watch it every Halloween, but this book almost ruins it for me. Just a warning before you read further. I'm ranting here, so there may be some mild spoilers.

The first third or so is just the movie in novel form. It's done pretty well and was exactly what I exp
Ashley Daviau
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally squealed with delight when I saw this had been made into a book. Hocus Pocus is my favourite movie of ALL time and to see it in book form is a dream come true! And I’m glad to say it did not disappoint, it was absolutely perfect in fact! It was like I was seeing the movie in my head while I was reading and it was such a wonderful feeling. And then getting to see my favourite characters all grown up in the sequel was equally as enjoyable. I loved the new story and I thought it was hil ...more
Kristen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5

Part 1 (the retelling of Hocus Pocus) - 5 perfect stars

Part 2 (the all new sequel) - 2.5 fanfictiony stars

Overall this was a fun waste of time. If you love Hocus Pocus, you should enjoy this. I recommend reading it closer to Halloween though. :)
TheYALibrarian
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read, meh
✨The Reading
Okay guys I really wanted to like this book. But here's my take on it...
the entire first half of the book is the novelization of the film. the second half of the book as to where the sequel is. I found the writing to be tedious in areas. I'm talking completely over descriptive where it is not necessary. And then in other parts she left out things like little jokes here and there that made the movie funny.
I understand having to rewrite some things in order to set up for the sequel (because
Cheyenne  Happy Halloween
Where do I begin?! The first part of the book was word for word the movie and I LOVE the movie and was so happy I could imagine the scenes in my head as I was reading along. Now I was never one for a sequel to this movie but the sequel written I really want it made into a movie but I want all the original cast in it lol. This book made me smile. I loved every single minute of it and highly suggest it if you love the Halloween Classic movie!!!!
alana ♡
Sep 06, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling
This really hurts to include on my DNF shelf but I refuse to let my view of the Hocus Pocus movie be tainted. The retelling was a blast to read but the new sequel was way too fan fiction-y for my liking.

HOWEVER

I may try to do a reread of this in October, it's a big maybe though.
Rissa
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hocus Pocus 3.5 ⭐

Everything is going wrong again when Max and Allisons (stupid) daughter Poppy summons the sisters (trying to be brave) and ends up with her parents in hell and all of salem at the sisters wicked command. Elizabeth though the misunderstood sanderson sister is here to help Poppy and her friends in hopes to save Salem and her parents

The writing was fine but the story was really good. Because i love the story of hocus pocus i didnt need the details of how the characters
Brittany
This was a fun read. The first part was Hocus Pocus and felt a lot like watching the movie, I could visualize it in my head. Loved seeing the Sanderson sisters back.

Part 2 was 25 years later and featuring Max and Allison's seventeen-year-old daughter, Poppy. I did think it was very forward of Disney to have Poppy's character have a crush on a girl. I love that they did this, even if it was unexpected from the normally uber conservative Disney name. The adventure was fun and this time
Gigi H
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall 2.5 stars
This was my most anticipated read for October and of 2018!

Part 1: 4 ☆'s

The first part did not disappoint. It was pretty much like the movie.

Part 2: 2 ☆'s

The sequel on the other hand was a disaster for me. The story read like a middle grade book and it just kept dragging..the narration was nothing like the first part.
As for the diversity..while I appreciate the effort, it felt very forced..as if this book were trying to
Amelia Sandoval
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a 90’s kid, the story of Hocus Pocus has been a favorite of mine. I completely devoured this book from beginning to end and I loved the retelling of the original film. It gave readers a more in depth detail of the original story and first person point of view. And I enjoyed the small details from the movie that were included in the retelling story.
I thought the sequel was great! With the majority of the original characters returning 25 years later with their children and friends. Poppy, M
jana [ bookishwiccan ]
****REVIEW HAS BEEN POSTED ON BOTH BLOGSPOT & WORDPRESS ***
Find both links here : www.linktr.ee/bookishwiccan

I can't even handle this book, and I ESPECIALLY cannot handle the ending.

It's just a bunch of hocus pocus, and I absolutely adored it.

Stay tuned into my blog for an upcoming review!
Patty (IheartYA)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I'm abandoning the sequel for now. It feels like the author is trying too hard to relate to the differences in the new time period instead of focusing on the story. I'm rather disappointed. I did have high expectations though, and I guess there are just some things that shouldn't be touched.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Hocus Pocus is one of my all-time favorite movies and I was equal parts excited to revisit the beloved characters with a continuation 25 years later and terrified that it wouldn't live up to the nostalgia I feel for the film. As such I went into this with very low expectations and overall found this to be an enjoyable read.

Full disclosure: I skipped the first 196 pages as I wasn't interested in reading a novelized account of the movie. Which was a good choice for me personally, 10/10 would recommend to others looking for
Brenda A
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yallwest-2018
The novelization of Hocus Pocus is exactly what you’d expect, no surprise there.

The sequel is.....cute. It’s a trio of characters again, it’s the Dennison kid trying to impress their crush again, it’s an animal transformation again. Much of it was recycled into newer forms, but not necessarily better. I found Poppy a bit insufferable and Isabella’s convenient appearance annoying, even if I liked their blooming romance.

The rest gets a bit silly. The Sanderson sisters themselves basic
TheYALibrarian
Feb 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
I legit got a little woozy from the shock of finding out about this novel. I never thought there would be an actual book on my favorite movie ever and a sequel to go with it. It also comes out less than a week after my birthday so happy birthday to me but July has never felt so far away.

Sara (sarabara081)

Sigh. I wanted to love this so much. I've always loved the the Hocus Pocus movie and was excited to be back in that world with a new familiar faces. I didn't really pay attention to the blurb heading in so I didn't realize the first like 1/3 of the novel would basically be Hocus Pocus, in book form. It's extremely accurate to the movie and was fun to read. Could it have dived deeper into the plot and characters? Perhaps but obviously it was setting up the main sequel portion that takes
Katie.dorny
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is one of the few occasions that I’m hoping the movie is far better than the book.

This book didn’t really have a lot of substance.
It didn’t have amazing moments, there were plenty of potential ones but every time the writing was so lacklustre that everything in the story just fell flat.

The re-telling of the film was better than the second book.

Props for making the protagonist in the second book lgbtq. But we’re not a token one off character to throw in there to mak
Kimberly
I don't have much to say about this one that hasn't already been mentioned in other reviews. The first half of the book was the novelization of the movie HOCUS POCUS that many of us grew up loving. Translating a movie into book form is seldom as successful as when making a movie from the book, first. There was so much "missing" that made the movie what it is.

On to the sequel, which is the real reason I purchased this book.

The teenaged characters were likable, Poppy, her b
lyss
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like pretty much everyone who read this book, I'm a big fan of Hocus Pocus, so I was really sad when I was having trouble getting through it. Even though I love the movie, I wasn't down to read the whole novelization of it. That made it a little boring for me considering I know the story already. The sequel had great representation in it, which I loved, plus all of the cool nods at the original movie, as well as the witches discovering the era of technology. Those parts made it great, but I stil ...more
Dennis
This will not be a long review, because I am disappointed that this book didn't live up to my expectations. I just think retellings aren't my thing, and this is the second time I've been disappointed by one. Last year, I read Heartless and I was bored stiff. This time around, Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel was just not for me, in the slightest.

The book is broken into multiple parts, and Part I is the strongest. It is a complete retelling of the original movie that we've all come to know and love, however I didn
Cindy Mooney
Oct 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book actually ruined one of my favorite movies for me. I don't even want to watch Hocus Pocus on Halloween this year. That's how bad this was.
This is why I never purchase books full price before reading them first from the library. What a waste of money.
This book is so stupid I feel like I've lost brain cells.

"Isabella turns around and smiles at me . 'Gumption. I like it.'
'Oh, gum? I'd like a piece, please!' says Travis."

This is the kind of dumb fuckery I paid to rea
Teresa
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 (4 For Original, 3 For Sequel)

And I'm rounding down because the sequel is 3/5 of the book, so yeah.

So much for finishing this by Halloween! I loved the film-to-movie adaptation of Hocus Pocus. I could really envision the characters and events. There were very few things from the movie that didn't make it into the book (because they really aren't necessary), and the book actually added some insight to internal thoughts and ideas of the characters.

I was extr
Kelly-Marie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed both stories. Love the atmosphere that was created. Can’t wait to re read it next October for Halloween 🎃
The Sapphic Squad: Buddy Read: Hocus Pocus Sequel 3 51 Oct 10, 2018 11:28AM
HopelessBookAddicts: Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel 1 2 Oct 04, 2018 03:00PM

• Santa's Little Helper (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #5)
  • All You Need Is a Love Spell (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #7)
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
  • Lotsa Luck (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #10)
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Harvest Moon (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #15)
  • Good Switch, Bad Switch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #3)
  • The XYZs of Being Wicked
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • The Witches' Supermarket
  • The Lost Coast
  • Prom Time (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #21)
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • Witchtown
  • Looking for Mr. Good Witch (Retired Witches Mystery, #2)
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • The Power of Poppy Pendle