Start by marking “Missing: The Morris Mysteries #1” as Want to Read:
Missing: The Morris Mysteries #1

Missing: The Morris Mysteries #1

The idea of becoming a legal guardian wasn't easy for Cecil Morris to swallow because of his profession as a traveling private investigator. However, that didn't stop him from adopting his nephew, Evan, shortly after his parents were killed in an automobile accident. Together, they uncover what happened to a wealthy businessman's missing son in a small desert community.
Published January 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing

Start your review of Missing: The Morris Mysteries #1
Jolie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I like mysteries. But I don’t like it when a mystery leaves you hanging at the end. Or it was poorly executed. Which is what happened in this short story.

This book is 34 pages. It starts off strongly. Evan was taken in by his uncle Cecil after his parents were killed in a car accident. Cecil is a PI and he has taken on a kidnapping case in the desert. Evan meets him there. While waiting for his uncle, Evan is befriended by a strange girl, Janine. Evan becomes involved in the case and helps Cecil
Tina Fritchley
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, so, where to start....

I received this book for free, in exchange for an honest review. And I'm glad I didn't pay for it, because at less than 30 pages (PDF file), I would have been very annoyed with the length!

The Good Bits:
1. The writing style. Strong, easy to read style, I really liked the way the book was written - which is why I wish it was longer and more filled out. I feel like it wouldn't have taken much effort for this author to have added more to this. It reads well - give me more o
Tony Parsons
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Evan Morris’ parents died when he was 15.
Uncle Cecil (investigator) introduced himself to Jeanne & Evan (amateur investigator).
Room # 118, Paul Paz (son) is missing.
Mr. Paz & Mrs. Paz are genuinely concerned.
They hired Uncle Cecil, Jeanne & Evan to find him.
Will Paul be found safe/sound?
What did Jeanne reveal to Evan?

I do not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing free books from publishers & authors. Therefore, I am under no obligation to write a positive review, only an
CJ Burton-Fox
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the Old West....and the mystery begins for the first in the Morris Mysteries Series Book # 1 MISSING. Will there be a shot out in the middle of town?

I would like to start off by saying I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voraciousreadersonly.

Missing brings a boy Evan together with his uncle Cecil Morris and they met for the first time after Evan travels by train to an old sleepy town out west. Both the nephew and the uncle are reluctant to trust each other.
Carol
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this copy for review from Voracious Readers. This was a quick read that left me wanting to dive into the next in the series. The author has a great eye for pacing, scene setting and propulsion of the storyline forward. The scene he set and the atmosphere felt very easy to visualize and I found myself transported to this middle of nowhere small town environment in anywhere America. I didn’t expect the read to be as short as it was...I think I was done in about forty minutes! If that... ...more
Deb Threadgill
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts with both of Evan (age15) being killed. He is then sent to the only relative anyone knew about Uncle Cecil who is Evan’s dad’s brother. When Evan arrives at the train station, no one is there to meet him. The a girl, named Jeanne, who is probably close to his age comes to the train station and I am sure you are hungry, let’s go to the diner next door. Evan says I am waiting on my uncle. Jeanne says he will know where to find you. His uncle does come in and says when he is done co ...more
Christie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given a complimentary copy of Missing by the author and Voracious Readers Only. I really enjoyed this novel. I liked the main characters of the Evan and his Uncle Cecil. I also liked the character of Jeanne and I hope that in future novels she is explained a little more. She always seems to pop up randomly and it would be interesting to know why she was so fascinated with Evan. The story is well written and keeps you interested in what was going to happen next. I loved it so much that I wi ...more
Cair-Paravel De Loulay
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first picked it up, it seemed like it was a shortened version. It took me a moment to realise it was the whole story.

A young fellow goes to stay with an eccentric uncle. There is more than meets the eye with this uncle. He seems to know everything and the anticipate everyone's next moved. Turns out, the uncle is a detective of the private nature and he is in the middle of a case.

The book is very short and yet a whole lot is packed into 32 pages. A very quick read and rather enjoyable, I
karin whitehead
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missing

A quick bedtime read.I received this novella for an honest review. As I was saying, a quick read, the author pulled me into the story with his characters, and am ready for more. I realized this is a young adult book, and I am 70years old, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, I found it to be interesting, it wasn't filled with swearing, or violence, just a charming story that I loved.
Pat Eroh
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is part 1 of a mystery series where Evan is a young boy who has lost his parents now finds himself as part of a crime-solving team with his uncle. Well-written and extremely compelling, I could not put the book down! Seems everything is a mystery in Evan's life. I will immediately read part 2 because I am impatient!

Leigh Farina
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from voracious readers. It’s a quick and simple read, not much to the characters unfortunately. There is a spark there though, and I could have found myself really enjoying the characters of the story had been just a little longer with a little bit more development. I will say this though, the author does have the spark and I would love to read more of his work.

Carol Peace
I enjoyed this short story but if I am honest it was a little too short for me. Evan has been orphaned and is sent to his uncle who he has never heard of, I liked Evan and the plot was quite clever it had me hooked but I would have really have liked more from the book. I realise there are going to be more so hopefully the series will improve.
Kara
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from voracious readers only. I thought this book was well written and fast paced. Even though it was a rather quick read, the story didn’t suffer. The writing style was good. You aren’t given many clues to help solve the case but I thought it wrapped up well. The ending does make me want to continue reading the series.
Kate
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missing: The Morris Mysteries #1 by Shawn Jolley is a quick story that will have you turning pages to the end. This is a short story, but well worth reading. I enjoyed reading this story in which the plot and characters are well developed.

I look forward to reading more stories in this series by this author. I recommend this one.
Max
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the premise of this book, I just wish it had been fleshed out a bit more. The characters were interesting but I don’t feel like we found out enough about them. Just because it’s YA doesn’t mean it can’t be more detailed. Overall though I did enjoy it even though it was very short, I’m interested in what happens next.
Jeannine Wickliffe
Quick and easy read

Missing is a quick straight forward read. It's short with no surprises but does leave you with another mystery. I wish was longer and have more information on characters. Was enjoyable
Carrie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
This was an awesome fast read, I loved it, about to start the next book. So teenage Evan loses his parents in a train wreck and the uncle he never knew takes over taking care of him Evan knows nothing about him but is thrown in to his uncle's world as a private investigator.
Kathy Carroll
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Voracious Readers for an
honest review. I enjoyed this book very much. The characters were great. Was a quick read. Look forward to
reading more from this author.
Kim
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! A short read but a great story. I look forward to reading the next story.
Kim
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and quick to read

I enjoyed the story and the ending makes me want to read.more ! I'm not quite sure about the Uncle yet......
Denise Whelan
interesting but somewhat of a preteen book. solid writing.
Sarah Rowin
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, sometimes I want something short but great and this fit the bill.

Louise Reynolds
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received a complimentary copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only. Would have liked it to be longer as the story was really good. Am looking forward to reading more from this author
Patricia Harris
Ok, so this has the potential to be a really good book. However, it took me about 15 minutes to read it, a very very short story. So it left me wanting more, a lot more.
Bethany
I enjoyed this! It was a fun short read, because of it's length, it moved very quickly and left me a bit confused and unsure what was going on sometimes. For it's length, it was an enjoyable read!
K.D. Bissonette
Book received from Voracious Readers Only. I liked it, it was an interesting story. The ending makes me curious and I may continue to read!
Claudete Takahashi
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This turned out to be a good surprise. The story mixes romance and mystery and the plot only becomes clear near the end. It´s interesting to follow who the main characters grow and can surpass their fears and difficulties. It´s a very entertaining and easy to read story.
Maddy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this mystery book. It was nice to read a mystery that I didn’t guess the ending too
Elaine Mayo
Mar 21, 2020
Connie Levesque
Oct 08, 2019

• Outrunning the Devil: A tale of mystery and suspense (Secret Haven Book 1)
  • The House of Twelve (The Houses of Penance, #1)
  • Free Falling
  • The Final Stand
  • Friction (Written By Blood: Book Two)
  • When You Make It Home
  • The Harvesting
  • Blackout (Still Surviving #1)
  • Conviction (Written By Blood: Book One)
  • A Reason to Live (Marty Singer #1)
  • Katie (The Cattleman's Daughters #1)
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • Past Due (Det. Thomas Clipper Mysteries Book 1)
  • Grain of Truth (Innocence Unit, #1)
  • Last Mayor Box Set: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series - Books 1-9
  • Survive the Conflict (Small Town EMP #3)
  • Survive the Aftermath (Small Town EMP #2)
  • A Rancher’s Honor (The Texas Riders Western) (A Western Frontier Fiction)

Shawn Jolley was born and raised in northern Utah near the Wasatch Mountain Range, a place now called Silicon Slopes by tech enthusiasts and hipsters. He grew up in a small suburban home in a small suburban neighborhood situated between two large farms and a miniature ranch. His first job was working as a farmhand for an excessively rich horse breeder.

Once housing developments cannibalized the sur