Start by marking “Running on Empty (Thicker Than Blood #4)” as Want to Read:
Running on Empty (Thicker Than Blood #4)

Running on Empty

(Thicker Than Blood #4)

Alt Cover: ASIN B01959QOF6

When you’re running on empty, sometimes you do things you later regret.

Del Mangini is a lonely, down-on-her-luck young woman who can barely afford her next meal. When a private investigator blindsides her with the revelation that she was adopted and has a birth mother named Natalie he is looking for, she doesn’t know whether to believe him. How c
ebook
Published 2015 by Mountainview Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Running on Empty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running on Empty

Start your review of Running on Empty (Thicker Than Blood #4)
Carol
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I have read every book, starting with Thicker Than Blood. This one has new characters that I cared about. And, of course, a dog. The idea of finding a sister on your doorstep was intriguing. Especially when you didn't know you even had a sister. That is the part of the story I liked the most, the relationship between the sisters.
Sierra Faith
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
4.5 stars. Was a little disappointed the characters from the previous books weren't in it much but I still really liked it!
Lisa Johnson
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Running on Empty
Author: C. J. Darlington
Pages: 348
Year: 2015
Publisher: Mountainview Books
My rating is 5+ stars.
C. J. Darlington just keeps getting better! I have read her other books Jupiter Winds, Thicker than Blood, Bound by Guilt, Ties that Bind and her newest Running on Empty. Each novel contains a story that will stir your blood, set your imagination running, and leave you wanting more of her stories. Running on Empty seems like a great candidate for a sequel because I would love to
Denise Hershberger
Running on Empty is the fourth book in the Thicker than Blood series by CJ Darlington. While this book really can be read as a standalone I did take the time to read the first three books before I read it and was glad I did because they were all really good too!

I think one of my favorite parts about this book were the examples of childlike faith. Little Callie in this book is so young but she finds a Bible for free and starts reading it and has a vague memory of a preacher and she begins to pray
Amy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Running on Empty kept me turning pages from the very beginning! Throughout the book, CJ weaves together the storylines of several characters from seemingly different walks of life. The book opens with the main character, Del, struggling to make ends meet after losing her job through no fault of her own. With unsympathetic landlords hounding her for late rent, a growling stomach, and a gas gauge on empty, Del needs to figure out something fast. But that night, young Callie shows up on her doorste ...more
Gophergirl58
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and read through it quickly because I was anxious to see how it ended. I love that Darlington keeps this series in the State of Colorado: I have only been there twice, but it is a beautiful state. And that the author includes horses in the story, even for just a bit, and a young woman who loves them made me happy as that was me when I was growing up.

The reason for four instead of five stars, however, hinged upon the fact that, if I were not a Christian, I would be a bit conf
Paula
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys clean fiction
Recommended to Paula by: C.J. Darlington - because I have read everything else she has written
Excellent way to start the year - thoroughly enjoyed this story, and like so many in this series, I felt like it left a big open space at the end to continue Del and Callie's stories. Glad to see my favorite character Christy reappear.

4 out of 5 for a few plot holes at the end, but overall a great story that I would recommend to others. This story certainly can stand alone, but I think it is so much richer if you have read the first three books first so you know who Christy and Abby are, and ho
Lydia Howe
C.J. Darlington is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of her Thicker Than Blood books as soon as I find them, so when I saw there was a #4 in the series, I bought it right away and read it over the next couple of days.

Once again Miss C.J. has created realistic characters who drew me into the story and made me want to find out what was going on with them. It amused me how well a young character was portrayed - even though I liked her, I found myself getting frustrated right along with the
Connie Williams
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this seies

I have absolutely enjoyed the Thicker than Blood series and am disappointed I can't just jump into book 5. I read all of them back to back and enjoyed the development of so many characters. New characters were introduced in this one that could be expanded upon in another book so I really hope there will be Book #5.
C.M.
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope this one gets a sequel, because it desperately needs one. Things were left hanging and (Spoiler alert!!!) the villains get away with everything. I found it rather disappointing compared to the others in the series.
Karen Jenkins
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the suspense!

I enjoyed the “Thicker Blood Series.” However, “Running On Empty” was the best! I loved the new characters and the suspense! This book was less predictable, and I loved the story line. Will there be a No. 5 in the series?
Diane K
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

I read the three book series and enjoyed each one. They were full of suspense, danger and Christian values. If you are looking for smut or explicit love scenes this isn't for you. If you're looking for a well written story try this series.
Mary Manson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved the Series

I just finished this the fourth book in the Series. Awesome book just like the three previous books. The Series has realistic and very likeable characters dealing with life issues - parents, siblings, death of family members, divorce, etc.
Brenda C. McAllister
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

This book is so fantastic, amazing, incredible....et,cera.There re so many words to describe this book. Like sad, heartbreaking, outrageous, unfair... But there was some light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Trish
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenish
My least favorite of the series, especially as there was very little tie-in to the previous characters (frankly, this could have even been #2 or 3, there was that little detail). Premise with Natalie did not seem believable, and the ending didn't really tie things up.
Patricia Thompson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

You cannot put these books once you are in and involved. This book develops a story of relationships...anticipation of what happens next.
Sally
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Right from the start it held my attention and never left to the end. I felt badly for the young woman's circumstances, all the trials while trying to survive. It was actually educational! And when she suddenly found out she had a sister with whom was now her responsibility, oh my goodness! I liked the personalities of the sisters, they seemed very realistic, not too perfect by a long shot. The non-stop adventures were excellently (is that even a word) written and ...more
Nenette
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A life that is all roses is not what the Lord promises to those who believe in Him. The opposite is actually true. I guess this is what makes the stories in this series really good. It shows by example and very seldom quote verses from the bible.

In this fourth book, sisters Del and Callie were brought together and have to face homelessness, hunger, and the threat of death. I wish it were longer!

There will probably be a fifth book...I hope so, as I'd like to see how these sisters will turn out, a
Melissa
This is the fourth book in a series, but it easily stands alone. I have personally not read the first three and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Overall, it's a good suspense novel with a great deal of action and a fast moving plot. Some of the storylines could have been fleshed out more and a great deal is left hanging at the end. The thing I appreciated most was the realistic portrayal of Del's situation and the role that trusting God played in her life.

J.E. Grace
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting book. Characters were very easy to relate to. I felt that I was right there living the story with them. It was a hard book to put down. This book was as good as all her others in this series. My favorite character was Callie. Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Nancy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Running on Empty. The characters and their situation drew me in from the first. I appreciated the real difficulties portrayed. Some bad choices were made for good reasons, but the outcome was well done.
T. Darlington
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! Pick up your copy today. :)
Tracy Walsh
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story and well written.
dorothy fredrickson
Very good

This one was as good as the first 3 were." I have enjoyed them all can hardly lay the book down.
STARLA ROSE
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christian Book Gi...: Free paperback giveaway 1 23 Dec 19, 2015 08:07AM
Faithful Fiction ...: Signed Paperback Giveaway! 2 7 Dec 19, 2015 07:54AM

• The Malvern Murders (Inspector Ravenscroft, #1)
  • First Wave (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #1)
  • Lost Memories and New Beginnings (The Men of Fire Beach #2)
  • Never Forget the Past (The Men of Fire Beach #3)
  • Wyatt's Pretend Pledge (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #5)
  • The Priority Unit (Maine Justice #1)
  • Fire Games (The Men of Fire Beach #1)
  • YOU² ( squaring your results )
  • On the Lookout (Lantern Beach P.D. #1)
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • The Perfect Block (Jessie Hunt #2)
  • Fatal Homecoming
  • The One You Love (Emma Holden Suspense Mystery, #1)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • The Bad Mother's Boxset Collection
  • Micah's Mock Matrimony (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #7)
  • Return to Me (The Restoration Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wedding Kiss
C. J.'s love of reading began when she was a kid dragging home bags of books from the library. When she was twelve she started dreaming about becoming a published author. That dream came true when her first novel Thicker than Blood won a national writing contest. It became the first book in the Thicker than Blood series, which also includes Bound by Guilt, Ties that Bind, and Running on Empty. She ...more

Thicker Than Blood (4 books)
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood #1)
  • Bound by Guilt (Thicker Than Blood #2)
  • Ties that Bind (Thicker Than Blood #3)

News & Interviews