Start by marking “How to Trade in Stocks” as Want to Read:
How to Trade in Stocks

How to Trade in Stocks

The Success Secrets of a Stock Market Legend Jesse Livermore was a loner, an individualist-and the most successful stock trader who ever lived. Written shortly before his death in 1940, How to Trade Stocks offered traders their first account of that famously tight-lipped operator's trading system. Written in Livermore's inimitable, no-nonsense style, it interweaves fascina ...more
Published March 10th 2006 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about How to Trade in Stocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Trade in Stocks

Start your review of How to Trade in Stocks
Duffy Pratt
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: trading
I would have rated this higher if I had not already read Reminisences of a Stock Operator. There's very little in this book that is not presented there, and I think the presentation there is more vivid. The main thing that is new is some actual detail about approaching Livermore's pivot points, including some actual examples. Unforturnately, however, these examples derived from data charts that were basically unreadable on my Kindle. Still, I got the basic idea of how he used them. The specifics ...more
Phil Toop
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
David
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for any trader attempting to make it big. Jesse Livermore, in many ways, is the complete opposite of financial role models like Warren Buffet. His take on the stock market is like no other. After reading the book, you realize it wasn't luck that was on Livermore's side but his self-discipline to be a better trader.

This book gives deep thoughtful insight I have yet to come across in any other book. There is more to this book than just the financial advice as Livermore pro
Ethan
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I find it fascinating that a book on trading written in 1940 still applies today. To quote Jesse Livermore, "There is nothing new on Wall Street or in stock speculation. What has happened in the past will happen again, and again, and again. This is because human nature does not change, and it is human emotion, solidly built into human nature, that always gets in the way of human intelligence." This book takes a peek at how one might ride the many human emotion waves in the stock market right bef ...more
Harold Citron
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: investments
Interesting book, centered around Livemore's trading system. The system focuses purely on a momentum based strategy revolving around charting techniques. Little to do with Ghaham / Dodd style investment analysis (Livemore actually discourages this style of investing). Since I prefer financial statement analysis to charting (sorry, voodoo in my mind) I wasn't pulled in by the various tops, bottoms, shoulders, and breakout points.

That said, the understanding of momentum, both in terms of industri
Ed Ball
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investing
A Classic! Jesse Livermore's contribution to investors the world over was "The Pivotal Point." The point in the chart where a confirmation for a new trend has begun. Jesse stated: "I never benefited much from a move if I did not get in at somewhere near the beginning of that move."
Maria Rinehart-Henderson
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Growth Trader's bible, and easy to recognize who Influenced Bill O'Neil of IBD.
Chloe Chong
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Jesse Livermore is like a wonder to me, but this book clearly shows that he was best talented in Trading stocks.
J Sha
See my review here: How to Trade in Stocks ...more
Girish Nayyar
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: trading
Nowhere near reminiscences of a stock operator - much much superior book.
Jason Lamarche
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Learn the golden rules of stock trading, but don't forget them when you start to sweat! Another must read!
John Richards
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read reminisces of a stock operator way back 88 or 89. this is a great review. like the pivot points myself.
Rutger
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
About a year ago, I kept seeing twitter traders mentioning Jesse Livermore (JL). I have this personal heuristic that, when I hear two independent source, mention some issue or person, I’ll look into it immediately, because there’s usually something worth investigating. Same with JL. My heuristic got validated, because JL really is a guy worth looking into.

JL was an early 20th century Wall Street speculator who was wildly successful in his field, and his field only. This book tries to uncover hi
Chew Zai
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like psychology study of a trader book to me.

JL mentioned alot tips that are still relevant until today, and his pivotal theory is important as well.

His advanced method is quite outdated in modern era, as charts are updated every sec and flash crash can happen anytime esp volatile asset like bitcoin and cryptos.
Chuck
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still relevant

Though Jesse Livermore died in 1940, his stock trading advice is still relevant. Follow the lessons he learned from his decades of trading stocks through the recession of 1907 and the depression of 1929, as well as, insights learned from his study of human psychology.
Ryon Calhoun
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the classics

this man lived such an interesting life and laid out the financial planning groundwork for generations to come. This book is worth the read and will give you new ideas on stock speculation
Utsav Parashar
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Few quotes and invaluable. He provides practical insight of viewing the price trend, natural reaction of stock, natural rally.
One line which I liked the most was "Markets are never wrong — opinions often are."
Rahul Jana
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classic
David
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Classic. Much of the advice given in this book still remains relevant today, especially for those who wish to trade Big Mo, as was Livermore's style.
Hass Khalife
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic book that is a must-read for anyone in the financial markets. Doesn't teach you much but the way of technical analysis but Livermore didn't chart in his day.
Radoslaw Radoslawski
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
interesting story written by one of the most successful stock market speculant - Jesse Livermore. Important insights over his trading philosophy and techniques.
Nicky Billou
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Jesse Livermore is a stock trading legen, and learning how he invested and traded in stocks is worth millions!
Jess Kang
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poise, patience, silence are the virtues successful Traders have.

Take no tips.

Alan Bevan
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating to read how the 'old timers' traded. The fundamentals are basically unchanged.

I was also interested at the hints of Livermore's sub-story which is to be found in the brief notes accompanying the photos in the book. For example, he was depressive and finally suicided. His wife shot his son. He went bankrupt a number of times. He was a womaniser. None of these things are related to his trading system (other than the bankruptcy perhaps) but they certainly add colour.

The book is badly st
Gary
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
I enjoyed reading this simple book about the trading methods of Jesse Livermore, written by one of the most famous traders Jesse Livermore. To be sure, I never heard of him before either except for the books I have been reading often referenced his "famous book". Jesse was a trader in the Turn of the Century and up into the '40s, and so you know, trading in the 1929 Crash he walked away with 100 million in cash, 1929 dollars! Interestingly I have become more curious to his biography and his trag ...more
Louis III
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Printed in 1940, Jessie Livermore detailed his method of trading stocks that made him one of, if not the best, trader in the 1930’s. His method of trading stocks is not what makes this book so special, it’s his subtle comments about the “way it used to be”. The markets changed so much from the “traders market” of the 1930s that he actually committed suicide very shortly after the book was printed. Jessie Livermore’s method of trading no longer worked when he wrote this book because markets where ...more
Yuchen
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very short book by Mr. Livermore himself. Technical analysis/Trend Following is much much more developed today than his time. Still, we can read the shine of his intelligence from this only book written by himself.
Tim Duggan
This is an inside look to Jessie Livermore’s method. It’s kind of still good given that he’s simply reading tape, tracking absorption. I’m not much of an equities trader but it was a nice follow on book to the classic Remineessance of a stock operator. Worth a quick light read.
Nicky Lim
Aug 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: econs-finance
Recommended by Dr Michael Leong

Good book for speculators. Talks about timing and pivotal points

• How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Market Wizards
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Trade Like a Stock Market Wizard: How to Achieve Super Performance in Stocks in Any Market
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • Stock Market Wizards: Interviews with America's Top Stock Traders
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
  • Come Into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Think & Trade Like a Champion: The Secrets, Rules & Blunt Truths of a Stock Market Wizard
  • Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets
  • Hedge Fund Market Wizards
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“if you are successful, most people are envious and they covet your success” 3 likes
“set your own rules and stick to them; never argue with the market; never make a play you can’t afford; never give way to irrational exuberance. Above all, don’t be a sucker.” 3 likes