Start by marking “The Wicked Deep” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Deep

The Wicked Deep

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  9,772 Ratings  ·  2,648 Reviews
Welcome to the cursed town of Sparrow…

Two centuries ago, in the small, isolated town, three sisters were sentenced to death for witchery. Stones were tied to their ankles and they were drowned in the deep waters surrounding the town. Now, for a brief time each summer, the sisters return from the depths, stealing the bodies of three weak-hearted girls so that they may seek
Published March 8th 2018 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published March 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Deep, please sign up.
Vicky Who Reads I would probably say in between PG & PG-13, depending on how "the movie" was made. I think it's definitely suitable for readers 13+, and probably…moreI would probably say in between PG & PG-13, depending on how "the movie" was made. I think it's definitely suitable for readers 13+, and probably a few 12 year olds too.

There's a non-explicit, fade to black-ish sex scene as well as some darker themes about hanging accused witches, etc. etc. If a teen's able to handle the Salem Witch Trials, I think this would novel would be suitable for them. (less)

Emma Giordano
2.5 Stars. Unfortunately, I did not love this book as much as I wanted to.

CW: murder, drowning, suicide

There is one thing I absolutely loved about this book: the atmosphere. I made a fantastic choice in listening to the audiobook – the narrator added to the story in the best way. The chilling, spooky setting of this recluse town with a magical history kept me engaged even when I did not care for the characters and plot. This book was pitched as similar to “Hocus Pocus” and while the storylines d
Melanie

“It starts as a low croon that rolls in with the tide, a sound so faint it might just be the wind blowing through the clapboard shutters, through the portholes of docked fishing boats, and into narrow cracks along sagging doorways. But after the first night, the harmony of voices become undeniable. An enchanting hymn sailing over the water’s surface, cool and soft and alluring. The Swan sisters have awakened.”

Friends, if you’re looking for something atmospheric, spooky, and completely captiv
Lola
3.5 stars. This is the story of three long-dead witches who come back every summer in the bodies of Sparrow girls to drown boys and the only girl in town who may be able to lift the curse.

This is an exquisitely atmospheric book. The subject matter is, of course, dark, but the way the author presents the town and its curse feels almost magical.

Even though such a curse pertains to the fantasy world and is therefore not a realistic element, I believed everything inside this story. Not once did I
Julie Zantopoulos
Two centuries ago three sisters were drowned in the harbor off Sparrow Island after being charged with witchcraft. Ever since then during the Swan Season, a period of time between June 1st and the end of the month, the three sisters return to the island by claiming the body of three young girls. With those bodies, the sisters each lure a boy to their death, exacting revenge on the town that murdered them.

The town has become a tourist destination for those twisted enough to want to join the witc
Katerina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melancholic, eerie and deeply atmospheric!

Sparrow, Oregon.
1823.
The Lady Astor arrives in the gloomy town of Sparrow, carrying the Swan sisters. Exotic, elegant and sensual, Marguerite, Aurora and Hazel Swan rattle the foundations of the close-knit society with their numerous dalliances and scandalous affairs with men that are not available. Whispers about potions and hexes become cries and screams, and the town of Sparrow finds them guilty of witchcraft in a desperate attempt to defend all thos
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
So I’ve been tossing back and forth all day between a 4 and a 5 over this one, so I think I’m just gonna be that guy and go with a 4.5. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. This was the most beautiful and atmospheric book I’ve read in ages. The setting of this book was PERFECTION and I want 383738251929 books set here, STAT. I will say though, the reason that I was hmmmming so much over my rating is because I saw everything coming in this one. Nothing surprised me at all, but I still loved it and enjoyed ...more
Sabrina The Trash Queen
“This is how they do it—how the sisters are freed from their brackish grave. They steal three bodies and make them their own. And this season, they do it swiftly.”

3.5/5 ★

I was in a mood for a book that had witches and a good plot and this book was exactly it.
The story was so original!

It starts a bit slow but after the first 4 chapter the story begins and awesome things starts to happen.

For me the best part of the book was the writing, I’m in love with it.
“Love is an enchantress—devious and w
Samantha
3.5 stars! You want a nice Halloween books that’s not too spooky and reminiscent of Hocus Pocus? This is your jam.
Alana • thebookishchick

This book was SO much fun.

First of all, you need to understand if you say the word witches I am sold. No questions asked, I want the book. Now, add three sisters accused of witchcraft who come back for revenge *ahem, Hocus Pocus vibes anyone?* and I am so sold there is no possible way I could dislike this book. Yet somehow, I still managed to be blown away by this. Al
megs_bookrack
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Wicked Deep is by far the most eerily beautiful book I have read in a long, long time. I finished this over a week ago and I have been trying to come up with a way to express how this book made me feel. I still can't quite put my finger on it but damn, whatever it is, I likey and I want more. This will probably be a story I revisit in October for years to come. I'm like...

This book has received a lot of buzz. In this case, I feel it is well deserved. Going in, I wanted one thing out of it =

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Do not be fooled by the quotes people are using in their reviews for this book. Those quotes will make you think that you are going to get a dark and twisted and impactful story about magic and revenge. I think this book wanted to be about those things, but what THE WICKED DEEP actually ended up being was on par with what you'd get if you'd asked Stephenie Meyer to rewrite The Craft.

The Swan sisters (see, TWILIGHT) were three beautiful, sca
Kayla Dawn
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
The love story was a bit too much for me and it happened too fast but other than that I really enjoyed it. The story itself is quite unique. And especially the atmosphere was on point!
There were a few to many metaphors for my taste that made it feel a bit pretentious but that's just something I personally don't like.

The twist was kind of obvious but that didn't bug me that much. It was still really interesting and it didn't feel any less intriguing.

I'm torn about the ending though. I technica
Carrie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Two centuries ago in the small town of Sparrow three sisters were accused of being witches and put to death. The residents of the town tied stones to their ankles and drowned them in the deep waters that surrounded the town. Each years since their deaths the sisters have returned to the small town for a period of a couple of weeks to seek their revenge upon the town by inhabiting the bodies of local young women to tempt the young men of the town to their own death.

Seventeen year old Penny Talbo
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
3.5 stars. This was quite a fun book and I'm always up for a witchy tale. But parts of it really annoyed me (like the insta love). Still, I definitely think it's worth the read. It's quite atmospheric and I enjoyed the writing style a lot. There were a few twists I didn't see coming which kept me wanting to read to the end.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
This read like a wicked sort of fairy tale - beautifully gruesome and so atmospheric it's almost like you're there in the small island town. I was changing my mind about this up until the very end because every time I was sure about something there would be another reveal that changed everything - 100% unique. Full review to come.
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I can't believe I read this whole thing in one afternoon!
This is the first time in a long time that I've read a whole book in a day and it feels amazing!

I honestly enjoyed this more than I thought I was going to

It was so interesting, imaginative, enchanting, atmospheric and spooky and I was hooked from the start. It was so addictive to read, and I just didn't want to do anything else until I'd finished it

It was such a marvellous book, and I think it might be going on a list of my favouri
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Wicked Deep is a young adult fantasy written by Shea Ernshaw. It will be published on 3/6/18 by Simon Pulse, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, 320 pages. The genres are young adult, fantasy, paranormal, witches, and fiction. This book is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up.

My Experience: I started reading The Wicked Deep on 11/10/17 and finished it on 11/15/17. This book has a fantastic love story! I like the mystery to the legend. I like the cover and the art at e
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
--4.5 stars--

I deadass just finished this book in one sitting. It was a short and very addictive read, thoroughly enjoyable. I really loved the concept and the atmospheric nature of the setting.

I also noticed a lot of interesting commentary in this book, like how the "witches" were basically unfortunate victims of slut-shaming, and how this curse that was tied with their deaths became pretty much a spectacle for the town. Like, the citizens, as well as tourists, would throw celebrations and fes
Ronak Gajjar
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Love is an enchantress—devious and wild.
It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat."

This wasn’t much wicked though! I beg to differ certainly. Well, what are the chances? Of course another love story! *Sighs* I thought for once it will be all witchy juju which will allure me off but this love story:
description
Okay, beyond sarcasm it was awful!
Concept: 1.50/5.0
Writing Style:
Nasom
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review

“Love is an enchantress — devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat”

Plot : Three sisters accused of being witches centuries ago, for their ability to easily seduce married men, were drowned in a town called sparrow. Because of what was done to them, every year for three weeks starting in June 1st until the summer solstice, they possess three bodies of girls in the town, seduce young men and then drown them.

The book is
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
Love is an enchantress-- devious and wild.

Well goddamn this book took me by surprise. I read and finished this book roughly a week ago. I was so conflicted on how I felt about it, that I couldn't formulate a proper review or even rate it. But now, sitting on these thoughts and how this book made me feel, I don't think I'll ever come to a concrete conclusion.

But boy oh fucking boy.

This book was so slow, deli
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

OMG OMG, I'm not sure how to start with this review, this book is INCREDIBLE.
So long ago I didn't read a book that made me feel that way, as full of feelings, I feel like my heart is going to explode or something like that lol. I'm certainly in love with this book, it's so atmospheric that you can really feel yourself inside it, I'm impressed

5/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

The book focuses on the story of a curse that began with three sisters
Kristen
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10/2/18 - You can download this book for free from Riveted until October 31st! If you have any inkling of interest in this gorgeous debut, do not pass this opportunity up!!

I cannot believe how good this was! I feel like the wind was just knocked out of me. I'm speechless! Please let this become a movie! Please let this become a movie! Please let this become a movie! *clicks my ruby slippers together as many times as it takes*

I'm going to try to settle down here for a second so that I can try to
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
The witches are back. And there's hell to pay.
description

Although Marguerite, Aurora, and Hazel Swan were drowned many moons ago, these wicked sisters still come back every summer to haunt the little town of Sparrow. A town where their souls will forever be rooted because this is the town that took their lives.

These young women were accused of practicing witchcraft and drowned to death, and as long as their souls still haunt the waters surrounding Sparrow: the Swan sisters will come back every year, in
Riley
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-tbr
3.5
Anja
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4 ATMOSPHERIC STARS*

The writing was excuisite, the story was unique, the ending was beautiful. I loved it all!
BUT! I saw most of the plot twists coming from a mile away. That however was not my biggest turnoff because everything was really well executed until the very end and managed to keep me invested.
It was the insta-love that made me lower my score... We all kn
Bitchin' Reads
I am sitting at work, having just finished the final pages of The Wicked Deep, and I'm having a hard time mentally slipping back into reality. My mind is stuck in this book, this wonderful and mysterious book. I cannot escape fictional Sparrow, Oregon.

I think I'm bewitched by the Swan sisters' tale, Bo, and Penny. SOS.
Sepani
I loved the book from its beginning to the end. The writing skills are so perfect and captivating. This book is a real page turner; I didn’t have a single thought about where Hazel was all this time.

Simply, both the story line and the cover are gorgeous.
Emer
This book has offended me on so many levels.

Bland AF.
Insipid characters. I mean did the author actually forget to give anyone a uniquely identifying personality because she was so obsessed with creating this mysterious spooky atmosphere?? Well the atmosphere was bland AF too. I'm sorry, but where was the tension????

The plot was utterly predictable, practically signposted to each plot development.

Also casually offensive.

First up was the let's just insinuate that all Irish people are ugly...
Amy Leigh
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! It did have a Hocus Pocus vibe but without all the humor. You can feel the magic radiating when you first start reading. It focuses more around Penny and Bo and wondering how to stop the sisters. I thought the author did a great job of keeping the reader on your toes. I also loved that the backstory of the Swan Sisters is included a little bit at a time at the beginning of each chapter or two. Very enjoyable read!

Penny is seventeen and it's the end of her junior year. Tomo

Shea Ernshaw is the New York Times Bestselling author of THE WICKED DEEP.
She is an Oregon native and YA author. She often writes late, late, late into the night, enjoys dark woods, scary stories and moonlight on lakes.

You can connect with her here:
www.sheaernshaw.com.
www.twitter.com/SheaErnshaw
www.instagram.com/sheaernshaw/
“Love is an enchantress—devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat.” 45 likes
“This town was built on revenge,” I say. “And it’s never made anything better or right.” 23 likes