Start by marking “No Fourth River. A Novel Based on a True Story. A profoundly moving read about a woman's fight for survival.” as Want to Read:

Novel based on a true story. Electroshock therapy, child abuse and modern-day slavery… just another day in Christine’s life.

Take a heart-wrenching yet inspiring ride through one woman’s incredible journey that is so compelling that you are simultaneously trying to look away and unable to stop yourself from reading on.

Christine’s father is a wealthy, tyrannical man renown
Published November 22nd 2017 by RASC Publishing KDP

Be the first to ask a question about No Fourth River. A Novel Based on a True Story. A profoundly moving read about a woman's fight for survival.

Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

No Fourth River is a very powerful story about swimming up to surface, when the world is against you. A story about child abuse unlike anything else, and one very determined woman.
This is the second Audiobook I have listened to, with the first being Ready Player One. Two completely different experiences. It was disturbing listening to such a painful story for a while, and it took me a long time to finish it.

The story of Christine is so sad and so
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
When I was asked to review this title, I was both captivated, and also a little apprehensive – captivated, because all the reviews seem to be SO GOOD! If you look at the Goodreads or Amazon pages for No Fourth River? It all seems to be 4-5 stars. Why apprehensive then? Because this book talks about a very sensitive topic – domestic abuse. And I come from a family with some of that history – and I myself have a history of being quite badly bullied. So reading a book that talks in detail abo ...more
Lisa Doherty (Rambling Lisa's Book Reviews)
I found No Fourth River is an exceptionally gut-wrenchingly painful story to read, there is no denying it. Being that it was the life of Christine Clayfield herself is likely why this was so difficult to read. I love autobiographical/biographical books but autobiographies affect me in an exceptionally intimate way.

No Fourth River starts out with Christine receiving a call regarding her mum’s health and while travelling and sitting with her mum she is reliving the past. We see a young girl living
K.T. Munson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall

Since this is based on a true story it is a little difficult to cover "characters" and "plot." Instead I'll speak to the book a whole. It was touching and inspirational. There were parts that were difficult to read because of their content. I could tell the author was pouring directly from her soul as she recalled her childhood trauma. Her family was vividly detailed. When I read the part about why she named the book "The Fourth River" I was totally sucked in.

Following Christine on her t
Karen Mace
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a novel based on a true story, this often made for harrowing reading with shocking levels of abuse within a family, but the determination and spirit of Christine as she tries to overcome her past and find her own strength was truly inspiring and one that many of us can learn from in our own battles, no matter what they are.

The story begins with Christine at the bedside of her mother who is very poorly, and as she sits there watching over she begins to look back at her childhood and how she h
Meggy
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Faint-hearted darlings, pass your way.

No Fourth River is a raw testimony of a life of abuse. But this is putting it in a nutshell. The author makes sure you can feel every inch of pain, every sting of humiliation, every scar of psychological abuse. Through a split storyline, we follow Christine growing up, enduring an endless string of events which will shape her future, her vision of herself and of the world.

I will admit I had to take breaks reading this story. There is so much you can take bef

Wyborn Senna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
An Insightful Look At Being Raised By A Narcissist

Written from the heart, “No Fourth River” made me feel as though Christine was sitting beside me for several hours, telling me the most intimate details of her dramatic life story. What I appreciated most was that it was such an insightful look at being raised by a narcissist. You might think coming from a wealthy family might help in such circumstances, but being raised by someone who no only lacks the ability to care for others but seeks to ann
Betty
May 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018-arcs
Review and rating to come on June 4th-my stop on the blog tour.
Michelle Ryles
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
No Fourth River is an exceptional true story that manages to be both devastatingly heartbreaking and powerfully inspirational. I loved the way that it was written with Christine reflecting on her life after returning to Belgium in 2016 to be at her mother's hospital bedside.

As Christine talks through her life, my heart went out to her. She has been brought up in a house with four brothers and I felt like her family didn't know how to cope with a girl. Perhaps her mother was exhausted after havi
J.P. Willson
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Leigh
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brutally honest and lathered with encouragement.

Reading this book was a shocking yet heart-warming experience. The first half focuses on the author's traumatic upbringing and her, frankly terrifying, first marriage. The second charts her recovery and the construction of a succesful family life. I'll be honest and say that when I reached the turning point around the middle of the book, it felt very much like an ending to me, yet the story kept going. Even after a couple more chapters I found myse
Fanna
No Fourth River is a novel based on a true story that would not just tug at your heart but yank it off and twist it to the last force.

I love reading autobiographies or memoirs, though you won’t find many if you sift through my ‘read’ titles, so I was instantly interested in grasping an opportunity to take part in a blog tour for this real story.

This is an honest recounting which is why it can resonate with people who have gone through the same, but this review is from the viewpoint of someon
Jennifer Gilmour
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book I had the view that I couldn’t be shocked by abuse anymore, especially as I read and talk about it every day. BUT this book stirred up shock, upset, anger and toward the end I was excited, amazed and motivated.

No Fourth River takes you through Christine’s life, right up to last year- 2017. Discovering the abuse she suffered with as a child within her family into her teens and adulthood with relationships.

I found No Fourth River difficult to read in the beginning, in fact
Robin Austin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
By all accounts the author should be a drug addict, sitting in a prison cell, or both and more. Of all things, she should not be a successful business woman, beloved wife, and doting mother.
Yes, this is a story of bitter cruelty by a power-crazed father and others. It's also about repeating patterns of abuse to self and seeking out users and abusers. Far too many grow up to repeat that story over and over. They make the headlines every day.

The author did not wallow in her wounds but crafted he
C.F. Rabbiosi
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful novel

I enjoyed this book very much. The first half of this story details the cold and abusive childhood she faced growing up at the hands of her father, the nuns at her boarding school, and even her first husband. It's a page turner, being very unique and interesting, and it's definitely stuff that nightmares are made of.

The second half is uplifting as the author speaks of how she has cried a river for three different injustices but there will not be a fourth. I enjoyed reading about h
Robin Morgan
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
This is not the first time I’ve read a true story of a woman’s triumph over the baggage she’s been forced to endure, and it probably won’t be the last.

It took me longer for me to read this book than I’d anticipated. Why? Because with the strings of my heart being pulled because of this author’s writing, I could somehow sense she wants someone’s hand to hold as she endures the horrors of what has been her life. For some reason I wish I could turn off the picture running in my mind, but I kept on
Zahreen Sharp
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographie
The harrowing tale of a woman’s journey surviving shocking abuse.

On my bookshelf to read again.
I finished this book within 2 days, simply because I needed to know how it all ends for Christine!

It is one of those books that sucks you in and you live through Christine’s story along with her. The writing is immaculate.

I will not include any spoilers, but let me tell you that although what happens in the beginning riles up negative emotions, like anger and shock, it gives the 2nd half of the book ev
Book Inspector
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this read was an absolute emotional rollercoaster, sometimes shattering my heart into million pieces and making me angry for all the injustice author had to suffer, and sometimes making me feel so proud for all the achievements Christine was able to conquer.

This book is a memoir of Christine Clayfield, where she is sharing her life story. The story begins when she was five years old, and it continues throughout her life, including rebellious teenage years, until the present, when she is 58
CarolineS
Heart wrenching at first but, you soon learn that little Christine grows into a woman with an iron will.

Quite effectively this book is divided into two, the first section follows Christine's childhood and early teens, while the second half focuses on the adult.

Some of the things she shares, seem unreal, and it brings out anger and a desire to protect an innocent child.

What is encouraging and unlike other books in the same genre is how the author, Christine herself uses this book and the story
Joy Corkery
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally published here: https://joyfulantidotes.com/2018/03/1...

No Fourth River by Christine Clayfield is a deeply shocking portrayal of electroshock therapy, child abuse and modern-day slavery. From very early on in life, Christine is tortured by her father, a wealthy, tyrannical man renowned in the diamond business. This abuse continues with the awful nuns and classmates she endures when she is shipped off to boarding school aged 5. This horror culminates into a falling out between f
Sheena Macleod
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. From the moment I started reading this novel, I became engrossed in Christine Clayfield’s story. I found it hard to put this book down and finished it in three sittings. Although the content of the early years recounts a painful time, Christine is no victim of her past. Indeed, with fortitude and extreme courage she fights back to reclaim her life as an independent and strong woman. I couldn’t help but admire her inner-strength as she battled, sometimes against the odds, to survive and grow ...more
Douglas Debelak
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Fourth River

By Christine Clayfield

No Fourth River, by Christine Clayfield, is a powerful, intense and compelling story of a woman’s life, from a childhood and until the recent present. Her early life was filled with crushing verbal and psychological abuse at the hands of her father, then the nuns and her classmates at school, leaving her with nothing upon which to build any self-esteem. It is a miracle that she didn’t end up as another teenage suicide. This is tough reading and not for the fa
Carolee Croft
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a candid memoir in which Christine confronts all her demons and inspires readers to do the same. Her family life was an open secret in the small town where she lived, yet she received little to no help from the outside world. Her father's extremely strict and abusive ways made the whole family, including Christine's mother and brothers, live in fear. The punishments he invented for them ranged from beatings to being forced to kneel for hours on end.
The boarding school Christine attended
Claire Lyons
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: via-mrs-average
YouTube review on Mrs A website, this is a painfully honest and open account of a childhood of emotional neglect - leading inevitably to an adulthood in desperate need of affection and poor choices. What is wonderful is that there is a happy ending, and a strong sense of control after such a poor start in life.
Sandra
This book was recommended to me, I have to say when I read the synopsis I was quite intrigued, mostly by how does this story ends; does Christine (the protagonist) really escape this life? What happens to her?

I was not disappointed as the story certainly delivered, approximately half of the novel is about Christine's life as a young woman where she finds her courage, created financial stability and most importantly for soppy hearts like me- she found love.
Camillea
Have you ever read a book so emotionally heavy that you want to take a break from it and yet you can’t convince yourself to do so?

That is how I would described my experience reading No Fourth River. Before I even began reading I was filled with a trepidation. Was I really up for reading a true story on abuse? As someone who has been in the throes of relationship abuse, Christine’s story scared me.

Even knowing No Fourth River is non-fiction, I was still very surprised with how honest Christine na
Linda
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Fourth River is an inspiration to all and a must read for anyone who is suffering from abuse or seemingly insurmountable hardships. The book is a novel based on the life of Christine Clayfield. As a child, Christine suffered unimaginable abuse at the hands of a dogmatic, disturbed father, the nuns who were her teachers, and other children. As an adult, the pattern continued with physically and emotionally abusive relationships. Despite her horrific past, following one particularly brutal beat ...more
Toni Burnley
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspirational life story

No Fourth River is not a novel. It is an autobiography which may or may not have altered names, places and situations to create some sense of fiction. Having said that, it is a heart warming and uplifting story which shows how a badly abused child and young adult can put the brakes on their downward trajectory and, through determination and hard work, create a better life for themselves.

Christine suffers terribly at the hands of her father, the nuns at her boarding school
J.A. Kalis
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A personal story of a woman who grew up in a rich household with an authoritarian, controlling father, a weak and almost inexistent mother and four brothers. Her father, a successful businessman was strongly motivated by success and achievement in all his actions and didn’t tolerate any sign of weakness in any of his children what caused a lot of suffering to them and left wounds for the rest of their lives. He had unrealistic expectations and punished his children when they didn’t live up to th ...more
Joan Carney
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sitting beside her mother’s hospital bed, Christine reflects on her life. As she recounts her story we learn that her childhood and early adult ears sucked. There’s no other way to describe it. Physically and emotionally beaten down from infancy, she’s sent off to boarding school at the age of five as a punishment for being “useless.” Life there was no better as Christine had to endure ridicule and abuse from the nuns because of her bedwetting.

As she reached her teens, the constant pressure erup
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Christine Clayfield is a best-selling author, Internet marketer, Entrepreneur, Infopreneur, Public Speaker and Book Publisher.

After many years of being a successful business woman and mentor she took one step further to empower and inspire the world, with the release of ‘No Fourth River’ a novel based on her life.

Christine’s past holds much pain and abuse, but it did not stop her from being the w