Start by marking “The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships” as Want to Read:
The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships

The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships

Most of us have no idea how others see or process their experiences. And that can make relationships hard, whether with intimate partners, with friends, or in our professional lives. Understanding the motivations and dynamics of these different personality types can be the key that unlocks sometimes mystifying behavior in others—and in ourselves.

This book from Suzanne Stab
Published April 10th 2018 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about The Path Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path Between Us

Start your review of The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I find the enneagram to be problematic in some ways, but I set that aside, and am reviewing this book on its own merits, apart from the merits of the enneagram itself.

There are certainly some good things to glean from this book. Ms. Stabile very quickly cuts to the heart of what drive each enneagram type--and beautifully illustrates this with very accessible and relatable anecdotal stories for each type. I also really appreciated that she showed the positive and negative issues
Rachel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Certainly a helpful supplement, but not the place to start if you've never heard of the Enneagram. There's a lot of great stuff here, though I would have liked a little more information in each chapter. When you only have a brief description for each, I think it starts to become more of a stereotypical picture of each number. Even so, it certainly offers help for each number in relationships by identifying warning signs, potential pitfalls, and the like. A handy resource to supplement anyone's E ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
3.5 stars. I, like many others (I assume), focused on my number's chapter and got bored for the other one's. review to come

- - - - - -

This is probably gonna be like the zodiac book but more scientific (hopefully)

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Heidi
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Stabile's new book, The Path Between Us, is a much needed followup to her joint book with Ian Cron, The Road Back to You. Stabile's, The Path Between Us, helps readers authentically apply the enneagram to the complex relationships in their lives-- whether personal or professional. Her writing continues to be easily accessible and yet this easy style never compromises the intellectual content or depth of her observations. Stabile confidently draws on her own life's work and practice with ...more
Adam Shields
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Review: This is the third book I have read on the Enneagram this year. I have been skeptical about the enneagram, but I can see the value of it as a mental descriptive model. No personality test is perfect. Any type of people into a limited set of categories, no matter how many there are will be inadequate to describing everyone. But system that give descriptions that people find helpful are helpful to the extent that they give a language to help people both understand themselves and other ...more
James
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Suzanne Stabile is a master enneagram teacher that I encountered with her previous book and podcast, The Road Back to You, co-authored with Ian Cron. While that book was an introductory text, and her and Cron seem to have gone their separate ways (they now have dueling enneagram podcasts), this book is a level 2 look at the enneagram relational styles. Stabile is wise guide, and in the process of leading workshops around the world on the enneagram, has lots of friends from every enneagram to dra ...more
Bethany
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If The Road Back to You (Cron and Stabile) is Enneagram 101, this book, its companion, is Enneagram 201. It’s a good next-level guide to navigating relationships as you get to know your number.

The catch-22 is that you’re not supposed to type others. Even so, as I operated on my best guess, this book illuminated the keys to successful and problematic relationships in my life and gave me practical tips on how better to relate to (and confront and go deeper with) those who matter to me.

The book wa
Nikki Peterson
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great, clearly written guide on enneagram relationships. Very very helpful for my perspective on other people.
Rachel Bennett
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed furthering my knowledge of the enneagram through this book. While I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone new to the enneagram (check out The Road Back to You) it was helpful for me in learning how I can be better in relationship with all of the different numbers in my life. It also corrected some misinformation that I previously held about stress and security numbers. I enjoy continuing to learn about this personality system, and Suzanne Stabile is a trusted voice for me to listen to in b ...more
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after The Road Back To You. I found it helpful, concise, and very practical. All personality types can learn how to better understand themselves in an effort improve and relate more effectively with others.
Mackayla Gubbrud
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great follow up to The Road to You. I really liked the specific examples from the different enneagram numbers and how they interact with each other! Helpful for family, friend, significant other, and work related relationships. I enjoyed continuing to learn about my number and how I can best interact with the other enneagram numbers in my life.
McKayla
Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oops I read another enneagram book and now I’m questioning who I am. This was insightful, but if you’ve read The Road Back to You, you may find this book unnecessary. I found it interesting though that Stabile tends to focus on the positive attributes that someone takes on when they go to another number in stress. This reframed my thinking to allow for growth and “goodness” in stress. (My 1 showing). The author also seems to be a little harder and fours and sevens than the other numbers.
Heidi
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon!
Amber
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic survey of our relationships to each type. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to explore the enneagram and learn more about how to relate to those around them.
Stefanie
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Enneagram is an ancient fluid personality framework. The Path Between Us shows how the Enneagram can help us to improve our relationships through self acceptance and empathy. I'd recommend this as a level 2 book in your Enneagram study, only once you have a good handle on the basics and feel confident in knowing your number.
I have already read a number of basic Enneagram studies over the last few years and feel a solid handle on my identification with Enneagram 5. I had been asking myself "w
Iman  Dirige
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“An Eight can have a fascinating relationship with a Nine when both are mature and in a healthy space. Nines need to have their own energy, agenda, and understanding of what is theirs to do; when Eights willingly and intentionally follow Nines, that can be a beautiful thing.”

The epitome of my own beautiful marriage to the love of my life who is an 8w9.

My love & I have optimistically embraced personal growth together for the past decade. For our beautiful marriage. For our amazing motherhood. Fo
Kenzie | kenzienoelle.reads
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
•I few years ago I was introduced to the concept of the enneagram and read the precursor to this book “The Road Back to You.” At first I was intrigued just because I love learning about personality types and that whole world.

•However, when I sobbed (and I mean SOBBED) through the chapter (in “The Road Back to You) about type ones, I know this was more than just personality typing.

•This book is an even deeper dive into the enneagram. It goes beyond describing each type to looking at what each n
Bob
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary: Using the tool of the Enneagram, this explores how each "number" interacts with the other numbers, how each number relates in stress, and security, and what is helpful for other "numbers" to understand about relating to a person with this number.

In The Road Back to You, (review) Suzanne Stabile and her co-author Ian Cron give one of the most accessible explanations of the Enneagram that I have read. In this sequel, Suzanne Stabile builds on the insights of how each of the nine "numbers"
Rene Lancaster
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, it was good. Helpful to understanding the people around me and why the do the things they do.
But, it also went very deep. As in this book went straight to the root of behavior, much deeper than what you would actually see in people so it wasn’t super practical or applicable.
After every chapter I was like “ok now I know why so-and-so does this....but how does this play out in what I see in them?” Does that make sense?
Also I would’ve liked to see more information on specific relationships, l
Susy C. *MotherLambReads*
Great in depth book about personalities. It's a good follow up and gets deeper than her first book. I made my husband listen to several chapters on our recent road trip. I love learning more about this topic and applying this tool in all my relationships. It's a good mix of personal stories and academic content. Not a book for beginners though. It makes me want to dive in deeper. Isn't that a good mark of a book? ...more
Hannah Comerford
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Enneagram is worthless unless you use it as it's intended--as a tool for seeing your own strengths and weakness and building your relationships with others. This book leads the reader in both of these aspects, focusing on interpersonal relationships. I found it very helpful in cultivating empathy in me for those who don't see the way I do, and I finished feeling that I better know how to relate to and love those around me. I highly recommend it as a follow-up to The Road Back to You. ...more
Daniel
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been following the work of Suzanne Stabile and Ian Cron for a couple of years now. I've read The Road Back to You, and I was an avid listener of their podcast by the same name. I've continued to follow Ian's podcast, Typology, but I've kind of lost touch with Suzanne.

Until this book.

Suzanne Stabile has a way of understanding relationship dynamics better than the vast majority of people. This book, The Path Between Us, is going to be a helpful reference guide for years to come. The Enneagram
Allison
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.75 stars.
I felt I better understood the enneagram after reading this one, and found it more detailed in a way I could relate it to daily life. Also, my number made more sense to me with her explanations than I got in the Millenneagram book I recently read. I’ll definitely be reading up a bit more on the subject!
Chattynatty Van Waning
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The type of book that is just so full of words of wisdom that I’ll likely pick it up and reread in book form in the near future. I love learning about personality types and have fallen back in love with learning about the enneagram.
Kayla
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource to understand the enneagram and how different numbers interact. It was mind opening and I really liked the synopsis at the end of each chapter that summarized key points for relationships as that number or with that number.
Samantha Pfab
Aug 11, 2021 rated it liked it
This is actually a 3.5.
Alex
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is extremely helpful once you know your number and the common numbers of those you work/live with. The focus here is on how numbers relate with others and how they behave. I had lots of marginal comments for my number!
Benjamin Shurance
Too vague, too broad, entirely unexceptional.
Kristin Bernazard
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have a lot of people in my life who know and prescribe enneagram numbers. My hope with this book is that it would help make sense of what I've learned through others and web searches, and it did! My husband and I had some interesting conversations as we helped each other figure out our numbers, wings, and areas we can grow in within our number (personality). As a 1, wing 2, I'm making a list of people in my life who I know their # so I can be more thoughtful in my interactions. ...more
Brooke Fradd
Jan 07, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the first Enneagram books I read, I chose to focus on my type. As I begin to understand more about those around me and their types, I enjoy learning about others. This book helped me understand what I'm doing wrong in relationships with my difficult people, and what I can change to make those relationship just a bit easier. ...more
InterVarsity Pres...: The Path Between Us Giveaway 1 12 Apr 11, 2019 09:33AM
InterVarsity Pres...: 2018 Goodreads Choice Awards 2 25 Nov 06, 2018 09:37AM
The Grounds' Book...: "The Path Between Us" 1 4 Jul 24, 2018 01:28PM

• Fierce Love: Creating a Love that Lasts—One Conversation at a Time
  • I Want This to Work: An Inclusive Guide to Navigating the Most Difficult Relationship Issues We Face in the Modern Age
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Getting the Love You Want : A Guide for Couples
  • The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict
  • Eight Dates: Essential Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs
  • One Summer Sunrise
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery