Start by marking “New Game, Start” as Want to Read:
New Game, Start

New Game, Start

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2017 Advent Calendar collection Stocking Stuffers.

Reclusive medieval scholar, Edgar Royal, has a crush. On a guy. Not a big deal, except that said guy, Walter Chase, is a famous online gamer who has no idea Edgar even exists. Edgar has harbored these feelings for nearly a year, and when Walter announces on Twitter that he’ll be visiting
Published December 1st 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about New Game, Start, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Game, Start

Start your review of New Game, Start
Meags
4.5 Stars

In my opinion, this hardly constitutes as a holiday story, with nary a Christmas celebration in sight, but I've decided I DO NOT CARE, because this precious little gem of a story, with its gaming geeks seeking online romantic pursuits, engrossed me to the max and made my heart happy.

New Game, Start tells the story of Edgar Royal, a geeky, shy scholar, who works from home as a freelance translator of rare texts, and who harbors a crush on popular online gaming personality Walter Chase.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
A gamer geek + an awkward scholar =
a whirlwind courtship culminating in a very public kiss.

I had so much fun with this story!

The relationship develops via Skype, and the MCs barely meet before they say "I do" (to being the Big Spoon and Little Spoon that is), but this quirky story felt like the real deal.

An epilogue would have been nice, but we get a steamy scene, so I won't complain. Much.

P.S. This really isn't a holiday story. There's mention of a Christmas market, but that's about it.
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Hearts!

Absolutely adorkable!!!

This truly appealed to my soft spot for awkward geeky nerds who just want to be loved like everyone else, and of course, rightly deserve their happy ending.

Edgar knows he’s socially inept, but when he sees his gamer crush Walter announcing he’s coming to New York for a video game con, he impulsively tweets him to meet up for a drink. He never would have done it if he thought he’d get a response, but a response is what he gets. Surely he’s being punked right?
Jewel
3.5 Stars

New Game, Start is my favorite of the five stories I read from Stocking Stuffers. I'm a gamer and a geek and I love that the MC's were both geeks.

Walter is a professional gamer with a whole lot of subscribers to watch him stream his games. Nice gig, if you can get it. Edgar is a medieval scholar and translator and he is crushing hard on Walter. A spur of the moment tweet and then meeting on Skype is the start to something meaningful.

Walter did come on a bit strong, truth be told, and
Eugenia
Oh my gods! This short was beyond adorable!!! I think I have a geeky intellectual fetish. What is it about hot geeks who have no idea they're hot? Ya, I know it's tropey, but it does it for me. Anyway, this short was that....a classic geek and a gamer geek hit it off online and come together IRL. So fun!
Chris, the Dalek King
For once I’m glad to go first because we start out this year’s Dreamspinner Advent Calendar with on hell of an adorable story.

C.S. Poe–who is quickly becoming a favorite of mine–gifts us this year with the story of Edgar Royal and Walter Chase. Edgar, a medieval scholar and translator, is a bit of a loner. Which works for him most of the time. That is until he, on a whim, replies to a tweet from one of his favorite online gamers, Walter, and ends up in a flirtation that seems more fantasy than
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

First of all, Edgar, the main character is a MEDIEVAL SCHOLAR. I repeat, MEDIEVAL SCHOLAR. How cool is that?!? I haven’t encountered a lot of characters with such a job description before so this fact alone makes me happy. Then Edgar also recites Beowulf in Old English …

Of course, Edgar’s crush towards Walter (and fanboy-ing at him!) is adorable to read. I read this in an afternoon while drinking a Piccolo Latte at a nearby café and all the time I was smiling with how cute
Nerea
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awwww So lovely (and sadly short) xmas story xD !!!!

Is so cute how the meet by tweeter and ends together !

I really would love this was longerr !
Alisa
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was adorkable. It was sweet & funny & I enjoyed every page of it. I've read 8 of the stories in this anthology so far & this is by far my favorite.
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 stars.

C.S. Poe is a new-to-me author, and New Game, Start was the perfect introduction to get a feel for the author's writing style. This short story packed punch, reading as a complete story, with a start/middle/finish, leaving me completely satisfied. Even though it didn't take me much time to read, I was fully immersed, time not even on my radar while inside the story.

The awkward, undateable Edgar is a fan of an online
Bitchie
This was just adorkable! I love the gamers theme, and this is everything I want in a holiday read: cute, fluffy, no angst, and fun. Yes, it was short, and yes, “I love you” was said in a week, and it’s probably not believable for an internet celebrity to message a random fan out of nowhere, but I didn’t really mind it at all.

The only thing I really felt was lacking was really, anything about Walter. We know he's a popular game streamer, and that's it. We learned much more about Edgar, that he's
Shandra
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Week 1 Completion Post: New Game, Start by C.S. Poe, 38 pgs/GR

Rating: 4 Stars

Game On!

C.S. Poe stole my heart with all the pop culture/game references. I loved everything from Die Hard being the perfect Christmas movie to the classic Addams Family's unison finger-snap.

As a person who grew up a "nerd" in addition to being a rabid reader, I was able to connect to Edgar right off. He feels boring "as drying paint" -in his own words- alongside the likes of an internet personality like "Waldere"
Melissa
Cute! Short, no real story. Just an adorable read about a guy who is awkward and likes a celeb, who it turns out is a kind guy. ...more
Leaundra
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! She's becoming one of my favorite authors to read. They were both so sweet.
Tess
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-romance
4 stars
C.S. Poe
Feb 03, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Les Joseph
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

Talk about big things coming in small packages! Quirky, sweet, and SO swoony, New Game, Start by C.S. Poe was an absolute delight! Walter Chase and Edgar Royal are two of the most endearing characters I've read in some time and I completely fell in love with them from page one. If you're looking for a story full of Santa, stockings, and snow you won't find that here, but what you will find is a perfect gem that will leave you with the biggest smile on your face and feeling all warm
Lisa The Novel Approach
4.5 Stars

I’ve been toiling over this review for three days. Whyyy are some reviews so difficult to write? Even more so, for me anyway, for books that I loved. And, I LOVED this book!! I’ve read it three times in those three days! New Game, Start is an adorable, funny, romantic story about an online gamer and a bookworm who fall in love. I just had a huge smile on my face when I typed that. These two were So. Freaking. Adorable, you guys. I literally smiled through the entire story.

Walter Chase—
Annie
4.5 stars- Adorable gamer/online romance perfect for anytime of the year

Although I’ve heard a lot of praise about this author, I had yet to read anything by Miss Poe. New Game, Start was an incredibly cute story that had me smiling all the way through. I really liked the characters, enjoyed the fresh dialogue, and loved the humor interspersed throughout the story. Miss Poe’s style was smooth with a rhythmic pacing that kept the story moving and made it hard to put this short down.

New Game,
Liam Elliot
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of the first advent ones I read that I really liked. It was very light and very fluffy and very short, and honestly just what I needed this week. When life is rough, you can always count on happy fluffy books to take your mind off, and this one succeeded marvelously.

It's super insta-love, but I didn't mind so much. With a story this short, it's either insta-love, starts in the middle where you feel like you're missing half the story, or second chance and second chance always manages
Melanie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit https://wp.me/p220KL-cyn on 12/29

From that review: " I enjoy stories about gamer nerds so combining that with a holiday theme is a definite draw. C.S. Poe gets the gaming aspects spot on while creating a sweet romance for Edgar and Walter, two gamers looking for love at a convention in NYC."

For all our reviews, author interviews and such, visit us at http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
Lelyana
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is so freaking adorable, and cute! With a holiday spirit and insta-love and the gamers!
I'm so enjoying this, laughing so much, and I never really often seeing myself happy while I'm reading. And Walter and Edgar made me happy! Because there so right for each other.
I can't recommend you enough to pick this one!
Courtney Bassett
I’m on an adorable geek kick in my reading, and this definitely fit the bill. It’s a short story, so it’s all very whirlwind, but it’s about as feel-good as you can get.
Alison
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute. I enjoyed this. It's easy and pleasant and cheerful.
Dee Wy
Maybe you could call this story a bit too sweet or too predictable, but I sure didn't care. I loved it. Great romance!
Melanie~~
Cute, cute, cute!!! Scholarly fanboy meets gamer geek. The fanboy is shy and a little insecure but comes into his own; the gamer geek is super sweet and charming. [Swoon!]
Julesmarie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, m-m
Completely adorable and just wonderfully fun to read.

Some Favorite Quotes:
I'd never had a Twitter notification before, on account of not being someone worth notifying, so I didn't even realize what the alert meant

"I haven't heard anyone describe my intense awkwardness as adorable. But thanks."

I wanted to find the same safety in someone's arms that I found in books.
CrabbyPatty
How else would a medieval scholar (who translates text from home) meet a world-famous gamer other than on the internet? When Edgar Royal learns that Walter Chase is coming to a gamers convention in NYC, he decides to take a chance a reply and reply to his Tweet. The two men start an unlikely friendship and learn about one another – “Dogs or cats, big spoon or little spoon, warrior or mage. You know, the biggies.”

When they meet, their chemistry is combustible, and bonus points for Edgar’s
Ann
Well, this was freakin’ adorable. Normally I would say the relationship progressed too fast to be believable, but it totally worked for me here. Walter is a character that made me believe his love for Edgar and Edgar’s unassuming charm made me love him from the first page. The odds that these two should even connect over Twitter given Walter’s fame are pretty slim, but I was more than happy to throw that niggle out the window, because I wanted them to be a thing. It’s not the most Christmas-sy ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mature Man's Guide to Surviving Change
  • Dear Ruth
  • The Holly Groweth Green
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • Desperately Seeking Santa
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • The Peppermint Schnapps Predicament
  • Not Just for Christmas
  • Eight Nights in December
  • Hope Is the Thing with Feathers
C.S. Poe is a Lambda Literary and two-time EPIC award finalist, and a FAPA award-winning author of gay mystery, romance, and speculative fiction.
She is a reluctant mover and has called many places home in her lifetime. C.S. has lived in New York City, Key West, and Ibaraki, Japan, to name a few. She misses the cleanliness, convenience, and limited-edition gachapon of Japan, but she was never very