Start by marking “Pragmatic Version Control Using Git” as Want to Read:
Pragmatic Version Control Using Git

Pragmatic Version Control Using Git

There's a change in the air. High-profile projects such as the Linux Kernel, Mozilla, Gnome, and Ruby on Rails are now using Distributed Version Control Systems (DVCS) instead of the old stand-bys of CVS or Subversion.

Git is a modern, fast, DVCS. But understanding how it fits into your development can be a daunting task without an introduction to the new concepts. Whether
Published January 4th 2009 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published September 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pragmatic Version Control Using Git, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pragmatic Version Control Using Git

Pat
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: n00bs
Shelves: geek, non-fiction
This book is pretty basic. It's not a bad start if you're coming from CVS or SVN with zero DVCS experience (git, bzr, hg, bk, ...). A book on Git should either be for the user who wants to maintain their CVS/SVN workflow but with Git or it should be for the whacked out uber coder who wants to get crazy wid it (like moi). Sadly, this book tries to be both without really being either. If you're interested in reading it, see if you can bum it off a friend.
Steve
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Tried other books on Git but this one worked for me. Made a lot of things more clear, and added some finer points that the others didn't.
Frank
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: git, programming, tech
익히 알고 있었지만 그래도 한번 책으로 읽어봤다. git submodule 정도가 유용했다.
Dana Robinson
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a bad intro for someone getting started.
Shahin
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It was awesome, fast and detail full. I didn't read the last chapters that covers administrative topics. It helped me a lot to understand git philosophy. And specially in last chapters writer was putted some topics that was hard to bear and has very simple examples. It is obvious that I don't need a lot of those things, but it would be helpful if I had better examples about them (I'll search them specially using git help command ;-)).
David Workman
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it
A good book, well written and a well rounded introduction to the Git version control and SCM practices in general.

This does cover much the same ground as Pro Git though, and Pro Git goes into more details about the workings of git. If you are looking for an introduction to git then this book is perfect. If you are thinking you may want to delve deeper then Pro Git is probably a better choice as it provides both introduction and deeper understanding.
Joshua
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved the hands on approach. You need to read this book next to a terminal and following along -- by the end you'll be very familiar with all the fundamentals that make git powerful. Especially glad it included a section on git-svn to cooperate with subversion repositories, as we haven't switched over yet at work.
Nathan Glenn
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another quick read. I have to say that after reading it, I am thoroughly sold on both distributed version control and on Git. I've always used SVN, but Git seems much more "pragmatic". I'm using it now to keep track of work and school projects.
Some of the info in this book is outdated, like the bit about not having a Git distribution for Windows.
Evan Dower
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
It's important to note that on the cover "Pragmatic Version Control" is in large type and "Using Git" is much smaller, so the focus is really on explaining the basics of version control, and it just happens to use Git. I was looking for some more in-depth coverage of Git.
J. Pablo
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I've been using Git for quite some time already and I wanted to understand things a little bit better. This book was straightforward, easy to follow and went deep enough for my taste. I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning Git.
Miguel Alho
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book is a pretty good intro to GIT and will get you into the BASIC commands and workflow. might be a little outdated but non the less will give you a good foundation to try it out and then search for a deeper dive. easy read.
Jonathan
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book is a pretty good introduction to git. It covered a lot of advanced features which I liked. It did a good job of explaining how git did things differently then subversion. Worth reading if you know nothing about git and would like to find out.
Harri Kauhanen
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: git, webdev
Git is very powerful but sometimes awkward syntax of commands gets you confused. This book is a great help to get the basics but especially useful if you need to accomplish something advanced. Well written (short enough) and good sense of (dry) humor towards some git oddities makes it a good read.
Eric Hogue
This is the first pragmatic book to disappoint me. To many cross references that don't add anything new. Every section finishes with the description of the next section, then the next section begin with the same summary in different words. This book could have had half the page it has.
Johnny
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
A quick overview on how you can use version control in a pragmatic way. Git is used to illustrate the ideas, but you are not limited to it. Good when you want a refresh of the capabilities of Git, but otherwise it has too few interesting things to boos productivity.
Seth Crosby
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great starters guide, but some big features are hard to find in this guide.
Sukanta Hazra
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty good introduction to git. Easy for beginners. Generally found it useful and a good introduction.
Demian
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it
The subject matter isn't the easiest so this book probably deserves another star. It's a tough topic to give instruction on, the book does a good job. I recommend it.
Cody
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very simple. Easy to follow. One might call it Pragmatic
Josh Hamacher
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: programming
Very chatty and conversational. Lots of good information; not sure there's much here that couldn't be found online, but it's a convenient book to have by your side.
Aeischeid
Aniket
Aug 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »