Start by marking “Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm” as Want to Read:
Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm

Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm

In a moment of racial tension, have you ever tried to simply “shrug o?” your outrage? Or put on a pleasant face so that others wouldn’t feel uncomfortable? Or dared to take a stand—only to find that it in?amed the situation? With Mindful of Race, Ruth King offers another option:

To tend first to our suffering, listen to what it is trying to teach us, and direct its energies
Paperback
Published June 1st 2018 by Sounds True Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm

Reading Badger
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started this book with a documentation on its subject. What I really expected from this lecture was to learn to be a better person. And Ruth King, this amazing world traveler succeeded on teaching her readers about racism and the cruel racial inequality.

A gifted teacher to learn from so many about this world

The book itself talks about many aspects, but its central message is how you can clean yourself of the negativity caused by racial conflicts. The greatest thing about this book is Ruth King
Breakaway Reviewers
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading Mindful of Race is a life changing experience leading to positive transformation.

Ruth King’s Mindful of Race will take you to a deeper level of understanding racism and oppression. It does not stop there however, if you are open she leads you to a new place and a new mindful life. Yet, it is absolutely not easy to read her book Mindful of Race because you have to be prepared for a deep and critical self awareness journey. Sometimes it is not pleasant to critically look at your own prejud
Sue
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read !
Analouise Keating
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A much-needed book. King doesn't jump into mindfulness discussions but first sets the stage by offering a succinct history of race in the U.S. and a realistic discussion of a few key differences between how people of color and white people experience identity (especially individual v. collective identity). She offers useful mindfulness strategies that can assist us in addressing and healing from racism. I look forward to assigning this book to my students!
Lance Eaton
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many of us are enmeshed in this discussion of racism that sits at the heart of American culture and sit with so much pain and frustration about how to reconcile it, how do we heal, and how do we move forward. In this context, King's book is a Godsend! She breaks the book into three parts which she frames around the metaphor of diagnosis (of heart problems), heart surgery, and recovery. It's a useful framing device that allows her to help readers to first identify the problem of racism and its ...more
Michael-David Sasson
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This and Larry Yang's recent book on building multi-racial and diverse spiritual community (based in part on his leadership experience at the East Bay Meditation Center) are serious offerings in how to actually practice spiritual maturity and social justice as intimately aligned without either one being merely instrumental as aids to achieving the other.
Nathan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s stated in the book that “when we are unconscious of how we affect each other, we are likely to cause more harm.” As a white Christian male, I want to continue to work to be compassionate toward others and their situations in every way possible, and King’s book is a fantastic stepping stone to ensure progress. From detailed meditation instructions to some statements of truth wherein she doesn’t mince words, I have to admit that this wasn’t the easiest read in the world for me, but some of th ...more
Bookworm
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had this book for awhile and finally got to it. Author King takes the reader through mindfulness and race relations and how to use meditation techniques surrounding them: how to sit with uncomfortable emotions, how to work through them, *what* they are and how the United States got to this point, as well as some personal anecdotes and experiences.

It's an interesting look at how and why white people do not see race in the context of non-white people do in the United States and how and why they do
Theresa
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm (Paperback)
by Ruth King
I had hoped that reading this book i would come to a broader understanding of Race and changing my own habits, but this book is biased, not a negative thing, but it looks at Race from the African American view point, although it shows some White view points it seems to lump things together making me cringe as it details how we can never understand other Races or people from diverse groups, which is a sad conce
Ginae B.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Ruth King says what needs to be said. If we continue to give the very word race the power and the fear that it's had thus far, then we choose to let it pull at the American tapestry. This country was not born in a vacuum.

Unless we mention certain explorers, then we have to know that we were born of different races and we have grown in that direction. In fact, one of psychic Sylvia Browne's predictions was that one day, we would all have skin a lovely mocha color because of the mixing of
Nildene
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, non-fiction, history
As someone who has tried transcendental meditation during my mother’s diagnosis with cancer, this book really brought that back to me. I think a little bit of bias in the fact that I disliked doing that meditation kind of came in here – but the entire premise of racism being a heart condition that could be cured was really interesting to me.

I enjoyed the short history points, as I’m Australian I don’t really learn about American history as much so it was interesting to read.

The writing itself wa
Laura Greenfield
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A good book and successful in achieving its aims. My worry is that I know white people who would read this book as an excuse to avoid addressing systemic racism and instead boil it down to mastering their individual feelings of compassion without attention to the structural changes needed to dismantle racism independent of their good intentions. It would be great if there were a bit more contextual framing to ward of that misreading.
Lauren
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I’m always looking for new books on mindfulness or race, and then BOOM: I find this gem that combines the two! Ruth King writes with equal parts wisdom, heart, and fire, and has shown me a new path to processing white supremacy while also practicing self-care. If you find yourself regularly raging against the machine - regardless of your racial identity - King has valuable advice to help you keep breathing and in touch with your humanity. I can’t recommend this book enough.
G
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for folks who haven't given a lot of thought to mindfullness and/or race. I appreciated the unique look at the blending of the two topics, thought I'm not convinced they go together more than any other troublesome topic. My main takeaway is that mindfullness is useful for a variety of issues, including dealing with racial issues.
Marina
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is required reading for all humans 💜
Jess
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great insight - very informative!
Cassandra G
Jori Hume
Apr 07, 2019
Mar 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Ruth King is an international teacher in the Insight Meditation tradition, and an emotional wisdom author and life coach. She is on the Teacher's Council at Insight Meditation Community of Washington and Spirit Rock Meditation Center, and is the founder of Mindful Members Insight Meditation Community in Charlotte, NC.

In former years, King managed training and organizational development divisions a