Start by marking “A Hint of Hydra (Lailu Loganberry #2)” as Want to Read:
A Hint of Hydra (Lailu Loganberry #2)

A Hint of Hydra

(Lailu Loganberry #2)

Thirteen-year-old chef Lailu Loganberry must stop a war between the elves and scientists in this follow-up to A Dash of Dragon, which Kirkus Reviews calls “a recipe for success.”

It’s the Week of Masks, a festival held to chase away evil spirits. But Lailu doesn’t have time to worry about demons. She has bigger fish to fry—or rather, griffons, now that she’s been asked to p
Published July 10th 2018 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about A Hint of Hydra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hint of Hydra

Start your review of A Hint of Hydra (Lailu Loganberry #2)
Briana
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't review A Dash of Dragon for the blog, but I enjoyed the characters, world building, and even the crazy plot line enough that I jumped at the chance to read the sequel when I saw it at the library. While the motivations and actions of the characters are still a bit unclear in this installment, a criticism Krysta leveled at A Dash of Dragon, I couldn't help but find that all the craziness really made me think.

Basically, although I read the book because I think it's entertaining and like t
Becky B
Lailu is hard at work preparing food for each night of the Week of Masks. Hannah has found herself a job with the chief scientist, and Lailu's afraid she's going to lose her. Slipshod is also acting very strange and keeping something from her. She and Greg go hydra hunting and fall over the dead body of a scientist in the swamp. The scientists immediately start pointing fingers at the elves. Meanwhile the scientists have these new automaton things they've created that keep going haywire. It feel ...more
Tooley
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
-Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book— all opinions are my own-

A Hint of Hydra by Heidi Lang & Kati Barkowski is an unique, fun filled fantasy adventure! In the story, a talented cook called Lailu, who also hunts magical beasts for recipes, is faced with challenges as the scientists, led by Starling, create new automatons and inventions, and the elves living in the city threaten war. When a scientist ends up dead, the truth of what may be going on begins to come
Katie Nelson
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling sequel!

After freeing herself, and her restaurant, from the clutches of the evil loan shark Mr. Boss, Lailu thought she could focus on her restaurant and friends. But when she discovers a dead body in the forest while hunting, she realizes that the feud between the elves and the scientists isn't over, and she might be caught in the middle of it.

I adored everything about this action packed story! Lailu is fierce and determined, but also a sympathetic character who tries to be brave but
Kimberlee
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Lailu Loganberry is back! Since her last adventure hunting dragons and making deadly deals with elves, Lailu has continued to keep delicious monster cuisine at her very own restaurant. But hostilities between the Scientists and the Elves haven't simmered down! The scientists have unveiled a brand new invention that might be more dangerous than people expect, the elves are DEFINITELY up to something, and people are turning up dead. Lailu and her friends once again get pulled into a situation to h ...more
Meg
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sizzling sequel! I’d been looking forward to more of Lailu’s adventures ever since A Dash of Dragon, and A Hint of Hydra delivers.

The world-building is creative and unique, the plot is zippy and full of surprises, and the characters are as charming as ever. I was especially happy to see more of Ryon; he’s fast becoming my favorite (after Lailu, of course). The combination of magic and steampunk is delightful too.

I’d recommend this fun fantasy series to readers of all ages. Can’t wait to
Alexandra Ott
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved A Dash of Dragon, so I had high expectations going into A Hint of Hydra, and it didn't disappoint! There's just as much adventure, magic, and humor here as in the first book. Lailu continues to be an amazing heroine, and some of my favorite characters from the first book--Greg! Ryon!--make appearances here as well. Readers who love adventure fantasy should make sure not to miss this series!
Julianne Dunn
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another quality installation in the Lailu Loganberry story - full of intrigue, magic, and just sheer pluck (courtesy of Lailu). I love her reactions to situations and how willing she is to just fling herself into danger for her friends and, more importantly, ingredients for her recipes.

The only thing that bums me out about this book is that there is only one more in this series.
Tara Goedjen
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's got a little bit of everything -- dragons, chefs, elves, scientists -- and it all comes together in a hugely satisfying way. A Hint of Hydra is imaginative, funny, charming, and set in an all-around utterly delectable world. I'll be recommending it and A Dash of Dragon to all the MG readers in my life!
Alyssa
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved A Dash of Dragon, so I had high expectations going into A Hint of Hydra, and the sequel didn't disappoint! A HInt of Hydra had just as much adventure, magic, and humor here as the first book. Readers who love adventure fantasy should make sure not to miss this series!
Allison
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love the continuation of Lailu's story, and how the world of the series deepens and grows. The magic in the cooking, but especially the characters, connects me to the story, and I can't wait to read more!
Meggan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. I liked it a little more than the first one. Interesting ideas and interesting magic
PWRL
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Tiffiny
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd give this one 4.5 stars - can't wait for the next in the series!
Amy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At least 4.5. I loved it! And there's a nice moment with Greg towards the end that made my heart so happy!
Wendy MacKnight
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
Lailu Loganberry is back! Heidi has another winner here, as our intrepid heroine is forced to deal with automatons, griffons, demons, elves, and scientists running amok! The whole shebang!

I loved this book! Heidi's storytelling is clever and heartwarming and smart! A worthy follow-up to a Dash of Dragon, which I also loved!
Hannah
Jenny
Aug 04, 2019
C.
Mar 29, 2020

• Rise of the Wolf (Mark of the Thief, #2)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • Last in a Long Line of Rebels
  • Escape from Warsaw
  • As Brave As You
  • Power Play (Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls, #2)
  • The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1)
  • Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, #1)
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • Seventh Grade vs. the Galaxy
  • Me & Jack
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Across the Dark Water (Riders of the Realm #1)
  • Other Words for Home
  • The Bridge Home
  • The Secrets of Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #2)
  • Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (Dog Man, #3)
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
Heidi Lang believes that the next Grand Adventure is always just around the corner. She has chased her love of judo from the East to the West Coast, run ultramarathons, started her own dog-walking business, and converted a Sprinter van into a tiny home so she could experience #vanlife. Currently she lives in eastern Washington with her husband, daughter, and two dogs.

Lailu Loganberry (3 books)
  • A Dash of Dragon (Lailu Loganberry #1)
  • A Pinch of Phoenix