Start by marking “Make More Noise!: New Stories in Honour of the 100th Anniversary of Women's Suffrage” as Want to Read:

Each story, written by a star-studded list of contributors, including well-known, award-winning and new voices in children’s literature, celebrates strong female characters, with subjects ranging from the ’43 Group to modern ghost stories.

A donation of £1 from the sale of each copy will be given to Camfed, an international charity which tackles poverty and inequality by su
Published February 1st 2018 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about Make More Noise!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make More Noise!

Impossible Saints by Clarissa HarwoodA Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary WollstonecraftA Time For Courage by Kathryn LaskyThe Woman's Hour by Elaine F. WeissVotes for Women! by Winifred Conkling
Women's Suffrage
338 books — 82 voters
The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura StevenI Was Born for This by Alice OsemanClean by Juno DawsonGoodbye, Perfect by Sara  BarnardI Am Thunder by Muhammad    Khan
UKYA in 2018
63 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsty
Make More Noise is a brilliant collection of short stories of girls standing up for themselves and generally being awesome. The list of contributors is a stellar line up and I thoroughly enjoyed every inspiring story.

My favourite story in the book was focused on the suffragette cenus boycott of 1911 by Sally Nichols which I really loved because it was a snippet of history I'd not really ever heard about before. I also loved Emma Carroll's World War Two story focusing on land girls and Katherine
Nicki
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this collection of short stories, especially the ones by Sally Nicholls, Kiran Millwood Hargrave, and Catherine Johnson. They were all good though - some set in the past, some in modern day, a ghost story and a fantasy tale. Well worth reading and inspirational for girls young and old!
Sigourney
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
“You have to make more noise than anybody else, you have to make yourself more obtrusive than anybody else, you have to fill all the papers more than anybody else, in fact you have to be there all the time and see that they do not snow you under.” – Emmeline Pankhurst

Make More Noise! has been published to coincide with the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage – when some women were finally able to vote in Britain. The stories have been written by established and new voices within children’s l
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2018 is currently reading it
I like to read short story anthologies slowly over time to really savor them, so I'm going to update this review as I read the different stories.

I actually skipped to the end of the book to read Catherine Johnson's story first (because I love her writing so much). And I'm so glad I did! "Discuss, Decide, Do" is set in London after World War II, with a Jewish teenage heroine whose dad died fighting the Nazis - but who's now faced with fascists much like the ones he fought actually marching openly
Robin Stevens
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of stories about brave, smart, interesting and funny girls, from ten brilliant British authors. (8+)

Laura Noakes
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here’s why I think books like this one is so important:

Firstly, this is aimed towards kids and young adults. It is so, so important to make the history of the suffrage movement widely accessible to the public at large, and particularly important to do this in the case of young people. This book, that celebrates women, does this.

Secondly, whilst every one of the short stories has a common thread of feminism running through it, the diversity of this collection is LOVELY. Yes, there are great stori
Kelly
I am always quite wary about reading anthologies as there are always stories I really dislike but Make More Noise was a really pleasant surprise because it delivered in so many different ways. These stories all have their own special moment within them and although I liked some more than others, on the whole I thought the whole collection was brilliant and the stories complimented each other too.

I love that this anthology was created to celebrate 100 years of woman’s suffrage because young reade
Nia Talbot
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really important topic explored through this book. As with short stories, some I preferred more than others and some I thought were more relevant to the suffrage movement than others but an enjoyable and thought-provoking read.
Rachel
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
• A celebration of 100 years of suffrage
• Wonderful stories about inspiring women (real and fictional)
• Each author adds their own stamp to the book
• Entertaining and educational
• Appeals to a wide audience
Danni Jervis
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really nice little collection of short stories about famous and ordinary, but most of all inspiring women. All written by a group of fabulously talented female authors. Wonderful!
Kathryn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read for a younger YA audience - some of these stories I’d love to read as a full novel!
Charlotte Burns
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I've always had a complicated relationship with short stories and anthologies in general, but I was pleasantly surprised by this collection, which had more stories in that I enjoyed than not.

My favourite was Kiran Millwood-Hargrave's The Green Hearted Girl, which was a beautifully told fantasy story about a girl who is ultimately trying to bring different groups of people together for a common good. I also loved M. G. Leonard's The Bug Hunters, which tells the story of Sofia who loves bugs and f
Tiadeets
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The stories are diverse and there is something for everyone. I really enjoyed this little book. And any book that finishes with a story about punching nazis has my vote.
Julie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of short stories featuring girls standing up for themselves and their beliefs. Something for everyone.
Fiona
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
With these collaborative short-story collections, there's always a potential for them to be hit-or-miss. In this one, most of them were hits. The age of the protagonists trends towards the preteen age bracket - the oldest woman featured is 24. Because of this, it would make a wonderful addition to any school library, but absolutely readable by all ages. Most of them feature girls in ordinary or ordinary-for-their-time situations, most of them not having much to do with the Suffragettes.

The first
Alyce Hunt
The Make More Noise! anthology was released to celebrate the 100th anniversary of (some) women getting the right to vote, but that doesn’t mean that all of the stories are politically focused.
In fact, it’s a rather conflicting collection: some of the stories are set in the present day, while some are set many years ago; some of them are set in England, while some of them are set in different countries (and one is set in a mystical realm). The settings are often ambiguous, making it impossible to
Aoife
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a2, nosy-crow, 2018
A fairly quick read book of short stories. From the description, I expected all the stories to be about suffragettes or suffrage, but in fact most of them aren't; they're just about girls standing up and doing things. It's probably the better way to have it.

My favourite story was The Green Hearted Girl, followed by The Otter Path. I wish more of the stories had explanatory notes like Discuss, Decide, Do, which talks about the 43 group in a short note. For instance, The Otter Path has two charact
Stephen Connor
Ten short stories that celebrate females overcoming the ignorance of their male counterparts.

Featuring authors such as Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Emma Carroll, M.G. Leonard and many more, the stories show female characters battling against others in their quest for what is right - whether to be treated equally to men in competition, or in interests, or in strength (physical and emotional).

Lots to enjoy here - my favourites were Emma Carroll’s story about otter hunting, and Ella Risbridger’s ghos
Steph
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of short stories celebrating women in all walks of life, of all ages. There’s some stories in here based on real people from history, and some purely fictitious. They’re all brilliant. I’m so glad this book exists to show girls that we need to stand up for ourselves and make noise if we see an injustice!
Lisa
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Lovely collection of short stories
Capnniknak
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an uplifting, bright and kickass collection of stories by imaginative talented writers. A must for young readers and adults.
Vonprice
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful anthology of short stories celebrating girls and women, written by ten leading writers of MG fiction. A thoroughly enjoyable and inspiring book, perfect for upper KS2 children.
T
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books18
Some fantastic short stories. Lots that I found throughly engaging. Others not so much, but I can see how they would appeal to a wide range of audiences with differing reading preferences.
Helen
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the sort of anthology that should be put into the hands of children and read by their adults too - just really fresh, but without any annoying false naivety.
Emily
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of short stories by amazing female authors to mark 100 years of suffrage
Erin
Mar 03, 2018
oscar smith
Nov 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes To Midnight, #2)
  • The Secret Hen House Theatre (The Secret Hen House Theatre, #1)
  • Le secret de Louise (Les Colombes du Roi Soleil, #2)
  • Olivia's First Term
  • The Polar Bear Explorers' Club
  • Little Bits of Sky
  • Dear Scarlett
  • My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord (My Brother is a Superhero, #2)
  • Bootleg
  • Los tres mosqueteros, 2
  • Sky Song
  • Brightstorm
  • The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories
  • Un prince sans royaume (Vango, #2)
  • Houseboat Girl
  • Dawn (Dusk, #2)

After years of teaching English to secondary school students, Emma now writes full time. She graduated with distinction from Bath Spa University’s MA in Writing For Young People. In another life Emma wishes she’d written ‘Rebecca’ by Daphne Du Maurier. She lives in the Somerset hills with her husband and three terriers.