Start by marking “Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel” as Want to Read:
Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel

Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  3,154 Ratings  ·  768 Reviews
Hocus Pocus is beloved by Halloween enthusiasts all over the world. Diving once more into the world of witches, this electrifying two-part young adult novel, released on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the 1993 film, marks a new era of Hocus Pocus. Fans will be spellbound by a fresh retelling of the original film, followed by the all-new sequel that continues the story wit ...more
Published July 10th 2018 by Freeform

To ask other readers questions about Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel, please sign up.
Katarina Martinez Similar to the romance level of the movie, the relationship is LGBT and interracial in the sequel.
Meiley I haven't read the second part first but the first part (the movie part) is fine. I watch the movie when I was like 6

Emma Giordano
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
This ain’t it, folks.

I really did not enjoy this book. While the novelization of the movie was fine for the most part, the sequel destroyed my reading experience. (Most of my rating/review is based on the sequel as the first portion of the story is the same as the film. I gave it two stars because the novelization deserves a three for still being part of the novel, but the sequel deserves one.)

As for the first part of the story which is basically just a novelization of the film Hocus Pocus, I en
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Read this for the Fiction Faction book club this month! Liveshow will be Sunday October 21st at 5pm EST on Tashapolis' channel!
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
You guys are kidding me!!! This is not going to be a book… Wait it is? In that case... AHHHH!!!!! That was a sequel of delight!!!! Hocus Pocus is one of my all time favorite movies!! The Sanderson sisters crack me up!

Nani i had guess we had better have that heart attack together son because this book is bound to give me one… Remember we said that if we croak then we croak together… Hahaha

I cannot wait for this to hit the library and i cannot wait to check it out!!!!
Caitlin Bronson
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
A mess, a mess, a mess!

Oh my. How I've longed for and dreaded this day.

"Hocus Pocus" is such a lightning-in-a-bottle film. Like other cult movies, it was panned on release but managed to gain a wide base of loyal fans...including me! I can't think of another film that manages to capture the joy of the holiday quite as well: the beautiful aesthetic; the nostalgia; the barely restrained sense of adventure; and the big, over-the-top goofiness that's tempered by just the right amount of danger.

I've
Sh3llraiser
This is the first time Disney has "granted my wish" through Netgalley! Release date: July 10, 2018

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Sep 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) by: Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
I NEED THIS YESTERDAY
Kristen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/5

Part 1 (the retelling of Hocus Pocus) - 5 perfect stars

Part 2 (the all new sequel) - 2.5 fanfictiony stars

Overall this was a fun waste of time. If you love Hocus Pocus, you should enjoy this. I recommend reading it closer to Halloween though. :)
TheYALibrarian
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read, meh
Natasha
Jul 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
I was told there's lesbians so I have to read it now
Ashley
You know those TV shows that continue past their prime and loyal viewers want to pretend the last few seasons never happened because it destroys the magic of the earlier seasons? That's what this book is. I love Hocus Pocus and watch it every Halloween, but this book almost ruins it for me. Just a warning before you read further. I'm ranting here, so there may be some mild spoilers.

The first third or so is just the movie in novel form. It's done pretty well and was exactly what I expected. It wa
Alana • thebookishchick
This really hurts to include on my DNF shelf but I refuse to let my view of the Hocus Pocus movie be tainted. The retelling was a blast to read but the new sequel was way too fan fiction-y for my liking.

HOWEVER

I may try to do a reread of this in October, it's a big maybe though.
Rissa
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Hocus Pocus 3.5 ⭐

Everything is going wrong again when Max and Allisons (stupid) daughter Poppy summons the sisters (trying to be brave) and ends up with her parents in hell and all of salem at the sisters wicked command. Elizabeth though the misunderstood sanderson sister is here to help Poppy and her friends in hopes to save Salem and her parents

The writing was fine but the story was really good. Because i love the story of hocus pocus i didnt need the details of how the characters acted or wha
Ashley Daviau
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I literally squealed with delight when I saw this has been made into a book. Hocus Pocus is my favourite movie of ALL time and to see it in book form is a dream come true! And I’m glad to say it did not disappoint, it was absolutely perfect in fact! It was like I was seeing the movie in my head while I was reading and it was such a wonderful feeling. And then getting to see my favourite characters all grown up in the sequel was equally as enjoyable. I loved the new story and I thought it was hil ...more
Gigi
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall 2.5 stars
This was my most anticipated read for October and of 2018!

Part 1: 4 ☆'s

The first part did not disappoint. It was pretty much like the movie.

Part 2: 2 ☆'s

The sequel on the other hand was a disaster for me. The story read like a middle grade book and it just kept dragging..the narration was nothing like the first part.
As for the diversity..while I appreciate the effort, it felt very forced..as if this book were trying to hit every single topic in one sitting. Truly disappointing.
Amelia Sandoval
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a 90’s kid, the story of Hocus Pocus has been a favorite of mine. I completely devoured this book from beginning to end and I loved the retelling of the original film. It gave readers a more in depth detail of the original story and first person point of view. And I enjoyed the small details from the movie that were included in the retelling story.
I thought the sequel was great! With the majority of the original characters returning 25 years later with their children and friends. Poppy, M
jana [ bookishwiccan ]
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
****REVIEW HAS BEEN POSTED ON BOTH BLOGSPOT & WORDPRESS ***
Find both links here : www.linktr.ee/bookishwiccan

I can't even handle this book, and I ESPECIALLY cannot handle the ending.

It's just a bunch of hocus pocus, and I absolutely adored it.

Stay tuned into my blog for an upcoming review!
TheYALibrarian
I legit got a little woozy from the shock of finding out about this novel. I never thought there would be an actual book on my favorite movie ever and a sequel to go with it. It also comes out less than a week after my birthday so happy birthday to me but July has never felt so far away.

Brenda Ayala
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yallwest-2018
The novelization of Hocus Pocus is exactly what you’d expect, no surprise there.

The sequel is.....cute. It’s a trio of characters again, it’s the Dennison kid trying to impress their crush again, it’s an animal transformation again. Much of it was recycled into newer forms, but not necessarily better. I found Poppy a bit insufferable and Isabella’s convenient appearance annoying, even if I liked their blooming romance.

The rest gets a bit silly. The Sanderson sisters themselves basically rehash
Kaleena ★ Reader Voracious
Hocus Pocus is one of my all-time favorite movies and I was equal parts excited to revisit the beloved characters with a continuation 25 years later and terrified that it wouldn't live up to the nostalgia I feel for the film. As such I went into this with very low expectations and overall found this to be an enjoyable read.

Full disclosure: I skipped the first 196 pages as I wasn't interested in reading a novelized account of the movie. Which was a good choice for me personally, 10/10 would reco
Sara (sarabara081)
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: july-2018

Sigh. I wanted to love this so much. I've always loved the the Hocus Pocus movie and was excited to be back in that world with a new familiar faces. I didn't really pay attention to the blurb heading in so I didn't realize the first like 1/3 of the novel would basically be Hocus Pocus, in book form. It's extremely accurate to the movie and was fun to read. Could it have dived deeper into the plot and characters? Perhaps but obviously it was setting up the main sequel portion that takes
lyss
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Like pretty much everyone who read this book, I'm a big fan of Hocus Pocus, so I was really sad when I was having trouble getting through it. Even though I love the movie, I wasn't down to read the whole novelization of it. That made it a little boring for me considering I know the story already. The sequel had great representation in it, which I loved, plus all of the cool nods at the original movie, as well as the witches discovering the era of technology. Those parts made it great, but I stil ...more
Kelly-Marie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed both stories. Love the atmosphere that was created. Can’t wait to re read it next October for Halloween 🎃
Kylie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a low 3.5 stars for me.
The retelling of the movie was very accurate, but it just didn’t have the same feel as the movie. There was a little bit of extra information which was fun.
The sequel, in my opinion, felt like it was trying too hard. Too many things from today (instagram, Twitter etc) were added in and it seemed so forced. Max and Allison didn’t act like I thought they would when they were grown up. I feel like parts of it were trying to be like the movie and it just didn’t work. L
andrea caro
This was two books in one. The first was a novelization of the 1993 film Hocus Pocus. The second is a bit longer, taking place 25 years after the first film was set and following Max and Allison's 17 year old daughter, Poppy.

The novelization of the film is exactly what it says on the tin - there are minor additions in it to set up the sequel, but you're still getting the exact same plot, the exact same characters, the exact same dialogue, the exact same ending. My childhood. I loved it.

Realistic
Yaritza
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let’s Hocus Pocus again!

It was so much fun to experience Hocus Pocus again. Truly one of my favorite Halloween movies that brings back wonderful memories. Loved that the first original story started this book off. The new sequel brings back Dennison family 25 years later. The three main characters are teenagers one of them being Max Dennison’s daughter Poppy. I loved that they kept the same characters and made all the characters connected with a great story. This time the three Sanderson sisters
Dennis
This will not be a long review, because I am disappointed that this book didn't live up to my expectations. I just think retellings aren't my thing, and this is the second time I've been disappointed by one. Last year, I read Heartless and I was bored stiff. This time around, Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel was just not for me, in the slightest.

The book is broken into multiple parts, and Part I is the strongest. It is a complete retelling of the original movie that we've all come to know
Darque  Dreamer
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, part one of this bootastic book began with the novelization of the movie. It was pretty exact, except for a few added pieces to further develop the characters, and to lead up to the sequel. It was worth a read, even though I felt like it missed some of the beloved humor from the movie.

Part two began 25 years later, in 2018. This is where the real magic began to happen for this book. Allison and Max ended up together after that fearful night dealing with the Sanderson sisters, and they had a
Danika at The Lesbrary
Listening to the Hocus Pocus novelization began to drag (I was more of a Halloweetown kid myself), but it was worth it just to listen to the Disney lesbian TV movie. Super cute little romance. I really hope it gets made into a movie, because it would be amazing to see that.
Enchanted Book Club: Hocus Pocus 1 1 Oct 31, 2018 03:06PM