Start by marking “Read This if You Want to Be a Great Writer” as Want to Read:
Read This if You Want to Be a Great Writer

Read This if You Want to Be a Great Writer

This book demystifies the writing process, empowering you to write your own novel or short story. The author explains expert technique in a clear and jargon-free way, with examples from the fifty greatest writers of our time.

For aspiring writers of all ages and abilities, Read This If You Want to Be a Great Writer will motivate and strengthen your writing talent.
Published May 1st 2018 by Laurence King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Read This if You Want to Be a Great Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read This if You Want to Be a Great Writer

Thomas Edmund
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must confess I felt a certain skepticism approaching this book, it had a certain clickbait feel to the title, not to mention that the publisher (not the author as I first worried) has a series of books on being "great" (at photography, art and Instagram)

However I was pleasantly surprised. Ross Raisin captures some pretty deep insights about writing, and presents a range of topics with a good balance between brevity, without being so shallow as to be pointless. Also the use of examples and exce
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have this grand ambition to start writing more in my limited free time and I’ve been looking for resources to help me refine my writing skills and this book has been super helpful. I love that it is full of advice and tips from authors I already admire, such as Eimear McBride and Zadie Smith. I’d highly recommend this book to anyone who aspires to write fiction or anyone who wants to be a more thoughtful reader of fiction. I’ve definitely noticed that I am picking up on things I may not have t ...more
Soy Boy James
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raisin encourages readers to see the writing process as a messy exploration of imagination, but he then gives us many practical considerations for the process, along with examples from great authors who have done it. I write for a living, and I still took a lot from this read.
Flashflood
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At last, a book on writing that's practical, helpful and persuasive. Particularly useful fore me were the sections on debunking the "special first page", dialogue, and editing. The book is peppered with examples from others' writing, many I'd not come across before, several of which will have me scurrying to add to my To Read list.

And it's a beautifully produced book, as well.
Rue Baldry
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of good advice for new or more experienced writers. It explains some of the most complicated aspects of the novel-writing business in clear, easily-understood terms.

It never falls into the simplistic easily-digested advice of some other books about writing, most of which is inaccurate, impractical and/or has too many exceptions to be really useful. There are no easy rules, all books and all writers are different from each other. Raisin is honest about that.

He analyses his examp
Jake Goretzki
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I wouldn't normally read this kind of thing, though I'd grudgingly admit that the 'Read This...' series is brilliantly awful and effective as a marketing / packaging idea (Buzzfeed-meets-self-help-meets-curation-meets-giant-flattery). Point being: they almost bait you with their Trumpian overclaim, leaving you morbidly curious as to whether they do actually have anything novel to teach you. I bet that photography one sells by the ton. Anyway, this one is written by Ross Raisin, whose 'A Natural' ...more
Taciano Perez
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an enjoyable short book on writing, full of good advice.

Two things I like about it:
1. It explores different approaches. Many books by famous authors focus on their preferred method; this book helps you making your toolbox diverse. It was particularly useful for me, as I was stuck on something, and trying something different unblocked it.
2. It provides plenty of examples from a variety of authors.

It focuses mostly on the process of getting your first draft done. There is a small section
James
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Because I have so many writing craft books, I'm leery about so-called "new" ones. One would think there would only be so many books about … writing books. And one would be wrong. This one gives new insights into the craft, citing particular books. Where other books may belabor the point, this one swoops in for the kill.
TJ Edwards
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written intro to becoming a writer, there are many small gems of information (like how to organize your character timelines or plots) to general information (like what is first person narration). Only a few things stuck out for me, but if you’re considering taking the leap of faith into writing, this would be a fantastic place to start.
Kayla Asher
Sep 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Nothing was helpful. Dry. Just examples. Reads like a research paper.
Allison
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fairly good overview of the elements of writing.
James Beighton
Dhei
Sep 20, 2018
Jo
Dec 11, 2018
Ross Raisin is a British novelist. He was born in Keighley in Yorkshire, and after attending Bradford Grammar School he studied English at King's College London, which was followed by a period as a trainee wine bar manager and a postgraduate degree in creative writing at Goldsmiths, University of London.

Raisin's debut novel God's Own Country (titled Out Backward in North America) was published in