Jump to ratings and reviews
A world in tatters. A society where rebellion is not tolerated. A girl desperate to discover the truth.

Sixteen year old Quin lives in The Beck, a saviour society. Her community has risen from the ruins of a land shattered by Mother Nature. But Beck law is tough. Quin knows that the rules must be followed in order to sustain life in a place where floodwaters constantly threaten existence. A single violation could land her in Clearance.

But some laws are harder to follow than others. And as Quin discovers the horrifying truth, she knows she cannot stay silent forever.

Flow is the first in a series of books about a group of people struggling to survive after their world has been annihilated by devastating floods.

Warning: contains violence and some upsetting scenes. Recommended for a 13+ audience.

308 pages, Kindle Edition

Published August 20, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Clare Littlemore

21 books175 followers
Clare Littlemore is a young adult dystopian and sci-fi author who thrives on fictionally destroying the world with a cup of tea by her side. The tea will often be cold, because her characters have a way of grabbing hold of her and not letting go until the final page of their story is finished. They regularly have the same effect on her readers.

As well as being a writer, Clare is an avid reader. In other people's books and her own, she enjoys imagining how the world might look in a few decades and considering how ordinary characters might deal with the extraordinary situations the future throws at them. Clare lives in the North West of England with her husband and two children.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
32 (4%)
1 star
6 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 133 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer Leigh.
Author 5 books31 followers
April 13, 2018
Flow is a slow start but quick ending book. It shows you a new dystopian society where following the rules is everything. I like reading about The Beck and the way it operates. Some of the characters were very pleasing and I enjoyed reading about them. Others were a bit whiny and not my favorite. Of course, they do balance out eventually. The book is quite repetitive which makes the pacing of the book seem a bit slow. The cliffhanger ending, though, makes me yearn for the next part of Quin’s journey. I can’t wait to read Break!
To see my full review: https://www.boundtowriting.com/review...
Profile Image for Reem.
266 reviews4 followers
January 30, 2018
A captivating, fast-paced, easy 5-star read! I was literally hooked from the second chapter, or was it the first?
It gave me Divergent vibes, and some Delirium vibes as well.

“How could we exist in a place where human life was given so little respect?”

Sixteen year old Quin lives in The Beck. A saviour society, where there’s the constant threat of floodwaters destroying everything. It’s harsh, with so many rules and regulations, there’s no place for sympathy. Everything is controlled.
The Beck is divided into several sectors, Agriculture, Sustenance, Development, Patrol, etc… Everyone gets assigned to their sectors after the Assessment, a trial that every citizen in The Beck has to undertake to prove their worthy and usefulness to the society. According to your test results, you can remain in your sector, get promoted to a higher a rank. You can get reassigned to a new sector. But if you didn’t pass, you’ll get sent to Clearance. The darkest, worst place in The Beck.

According to the officials, life in The Beck is rather simple, all you have to do is follow the rules and orders without question. Any single violation, and you’ll land in Clearance.
So what happens when Quin discovers the horrifying truths about what’s truly going on?

I absolutely loved everything about this book! The story and plot were amazing and full of surprises. The writing was captivating and not at all complicated, but still very interesting. Even though the world building continued all through the book, there wasn’t a dull moment in it. And I could barely put it down.

I liked Quin a lot. She was smart, kind and compassionate. She helped whenever she could, but knew her limits. After everything going on in The Beck and despite all the rules, she still hasn’t lost her humanity, and is willing to fight for it. I admired her friendship with Cassidy and Harper a lot, and I truly wish things will be better for them.
Honestly the characters were all great, in their own ways, and I liked them all a lot.
And Cameron “Patrol guy” though *wink wink*

Life in The Beck was restricted, they didn’t allow much human contact, so there wasn’t much romance, but the rare stolen moments were heartwarming nonetheless.

I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book and even more excited to start the second one Break!
Profile Image for Mai.
76 reviews21 followers
January 30, 2018
Welcome to The Beck, a strict-coded society with law-abiding citizens.

Ok, I literally needed to stare blankly at the final page of the book before comprehending what happened.

When reading a debut novel, you may not be expecting much. After all, writers get better and better as they keep writing. The Flow was a pleasant surprise, for even though it’s Clare Littlemore’s debut novel, it was still captivating, thrilling and alluring. This novel had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I couldn’t put it down for long.

The plot was woven in a very intriguing way; we follow Quin, a citizen of The Beck, who is about to discover a lot of secrets about her society through getting to experience a different section than the one she is initially placed in. There’s not a single dull moment, even the world-building section wasn’t boring.

The writing style was perfect for this story line; concise and to the point. Even though I prefer poetic language, it has to be rightly employed, and this novel didn’t need poetic language. So the writing style helped the smooth progression of events.

I liked the characters, and I believe we are going to understand them better in the following books, but this novel has certainly set strong basis gor the series whether they be plot or character wise.

All in all, I enjoyed The Flow and would definitely recommend it.

Profile Image for K.S. Marsden.
Author 19 books718 followers
February 15, 2020
Quin accepts her poor conditions in The Beck, but when a chance of promotion arises, she learns there is far more to her world than she knew.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Quin has been raised with a single duty, to do her part in keeping The Beck community alive.
Alongside her best friends Cass and Harper, Quin slaves in the fields, with little food and strict rules that ban talking and any physical contact with other citizens. It is a harsh way of life, but it has been drilled into them every day, that with this strict order, the fragile sanctuary that is The Beck will crumble.
To keep people in line, there is always the threat of being sent to Clearance - a sector beyond the black mountain - where the weak, or rebellious are sent, and never return.

When the bi-annual efficiency tests every citizen has to undertake come along, Quin only wants to be promoted to be a supervisor in the Agric sector she knows well. She doesn't expect to be picked to join Patrol, the citizens who protect and keep order, and live separately from the other sectors.
She thinks the worst part will be splitting up from her friends, but soon Quin learns about the darkest parts of their society.

I really enjoyed this story. It focusses at first, on the friendship between Quin, Cass and Harper; and the hard, but rewarding lives they live.
Then, as Quin moves to Patrol, it reveals how narrow her knowledge truly is. Quin learns along with the reader, about the unfairness of the system on the most basic levels. It builds up the background, and the fragile position they are all in, if they dare show any rebellious thoughts.
There is violence and some dark scenes, confirming that the threats are very real.

The romantic storyline between Quin and Cameron was really sweet, and played in the background, supporting the main story, instead of overwhelming it.
I thought it was interesting that Quin was so utterly naive, after being brought up separated from the boys, and physical contact with anyone banned. She was clueless.

I really enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to the next part of the series.
Profile Image for Mary Emma Sivils.
236 reviews13 followers
April 24, 2022
The story in this book takes place over just a few days, yet has a surprisingly slow pace. I don't mean that as a negative comment. I was simply expecting more action, and instead got a simple, personal glimpse into the life of one girl struggling to cope with the harsh conditions of her society. It was kind of a pleasant surprise, actually.
I had some trouble remembering who all the characters were since most of their names were common last names, but that's just a minor complaint and it did get easier as I went on. The only other thing that bothered me was the romance. There wasn't a lot of it, but it just developed too quickly for me. What can I say? I'm pretty picky when it comes to all that lovey-dovey stuff. 😝
It sounds like there might be higher stakes in the next book, so I'm looking forward to picking that up at some point.
Profile Image for Nada Hosny.
315 reviews84 followers
January 29, 2018
Do not Judge this book by its cover.
description

How could we exist in a place where human life was given so little respect?

The Book is told from Quinn POV. ( i love reading a first person POV)

Quinn, sixteen years old, living in The Beck. A harsh society, so many rules, and regulation and no rebellion is tolerated. It's divided into section, agriculture, sustenance, Development, Patrol, etc. No one get to choose which section they get assigned to, you just gotta work and blend in. But as Quinn, starts learning some dreadful truths about her society, staying quiet isn't that easy anymore.

The Writing was surprisingly striking, even with the first part of the novel, with the world building and all, i wasn't bored, not even one bit.

I loved Quinn right from the beginning, she's compassionate, and relatable youknow? She hadn't lost her humanity from living in that hell hole, she fights every day.
description
I welcomed her back with the tightest hug I could manage. Contact was frowned upon, forbidden most of the time, but overlooked on such occasions.

The Whole book had Delirium Vibes, Not in a copying kind of way, this story has its own Magic!  There was something So captivating about the World, i Couldn't NOT turn the page and read more.

The Plot twist....
description
The damned Plot twist, it shocked the life outta me. So well crafted, and just GRIPPING.

The romance wasn't something that is focused upon in the novel, but those small innocent, intimate scenes were just so heartwarming!

“I’d like to kiss you,” he whispered the words in my ear.
Profile Image for Deana The  Queen .
459 reviews40 followers
February 7, 2021
In a flood-ravaged society, 16-year-old Quin lives by the rules of the Beck. Today is special, however, as it’s the day she and her friends find out what jobs they are suited for as the next stage in their lives.

Quin ends up earning a job in the Patrol sector, and although it comes with more perks than her old Agricultural sector, such as enough food to sustain you, Quin is sad to leave her only two friends.

But there are more than just perks in Patrol; there is also the burden of finding out how Beck is actually run, including all of the hellish secrets it tries to keep secret from the rest of society. A kindly Patrol officer, Cameron, hints that more knowledge is not necessarily a good thing, but Quin still intends to unravel all of Beck’s secrets, especially that of Clearance, where members too sick, old, or disloyal are sent.

I was surprised by this book! I thought it was really well done, and the story was pretty original, which is hard to do in dystopian novels anymore.

Quin is a great main character, as are her friends Cass and Harper. Cameron is the cool yet hot experienced Patrol officer who ends up saving Quin and her friends a number of times.

Quin is a very real character because she reacts much the way we would if we were in her same situation. She is level headed, emotionally strong, and has excellent intuition about how to act to protect not only herself but also her friends.

I have said before that the young adult dystopian trope has been done to the point of mediocrity, but there was something about Flow that grabbed me and wouldn’t let go.

Although a pure young adult dystopian, there is some slow-burn romance brewing which I’m sure will become more evident in the follow-up novels.
22 reviews26 followers
February 12, 2018
“We have to do things we hate just to survive here. You can’t be sentimental.”

The story follows sixteen-year-old Quin lives in The Beck. The Beck has risen from the ruins of a land destroyed by floodwaters. It is a saviour society set up by a group of people who want to re-establish order. Floodwaters constantly threaten existence in the Beck, so citizens must follow the rules to sustain life in the extremely dangerous conditions. However, the rules are very strict and if they don’t follow them, they will be sent to Clearance. Anyone who seems useless for the community, or even just sick, they will be moved there, too.

“There was only one thing I knew for certain about Clearance. No one ever came back.”

There are many sectors in The Beck, Quin works in the Agriculture sector along with her two best friends, Harper and Cassidy. But every six months, citizens of the Beck must do a series of tests, physical, mental and a written exam, it's called Assesment Day, to check that all citizens fit well in their sectors. If they don't, they will be moved to another sector, or maybe to Clearance. There is no place for vulnerability in the Beck.

The story actually begins after the Assessment day, when everything will change forever for Quin and her two friends. They will face new challenges and a new way of life. They will know more about their society, the secrets that were always kept from them.

“In a community where testing was constant and rejection a permanent threat, trust and honesty were hard to come by”

A well-paced, page-turner, intriguing and beautiful read. What I most loved about this book is the characters. Each one of them has a uniquely beautiful personality. I loved every and each one of them. I smiled with them, feared for them and cried with them as well. It is so easy to get attached to them, I wouldn't mind read them all day. They have become so close to my heart.
There are many themes in the book, but the strongest one I felt is friendship. It is so admirable and strong.
The writing style is light, hooking and full of beautiful quotes. The world building was written in a perfect way to keep you interesting. It is a well-written book with a remarkable world. You will instantly dive into it as soon as you start reading! I enjoyed every page of it.
Special thanks to the author Clare Littlemore, who sent me a copy of Flow to read and review.
Profile Image for (Love, Stars and Books).
248 reviews25 followers
January 7, 2018
I received a free review copy in exchange for an honest review from the author.

Book review: Flow (Flow #1) by Clare Littlemore (3 stars)

Title: Flow (Flow #1)
Author: Clare Littlemore
Format: Kindle (Review copy)
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Romance, Mystery
Rating: 3/5 stars
[Synopsis] (Taken from goodreads)

(Review)

(DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my opinion only and may contain coarse language)

The world has been shattered by Mother Nature and the protagonist Quin lives in the Beck. Quin has been working in the Agri Pod since forever and it is home to her and her friends. When things are changing, Quin is forced to make choices she never knew she had a say in. Any form of disobedience and the person will be sent to the Clearance, a sector no one has ever came back from.

The world was built throughout the course of the entire book. There are a lot of secrets that are not revealed and that keeps the audience guessing.

Themes of injustice and friendship were really strong and it was nice to see that although they knew the consequences, they were still willing to risk it just to see their friends.

I really liked Cam, he really goes out of his way to help others although it might get him into trouble.

Overall, it was a quick read and I felt quite okay about the story, unfortunately I wasn’t able to emotionally connect with the story.
Profile Image for K L .
667 reviews11 followers
February 17, 2018
I sped through this novel, written from the point of view of a sixteen-year-old girl growing up in a community called The Beck. Her world is constantly threatened by floods and she has never known anything else but the Lower Beck, the area she works in. Until she gets reassigned.

This is a very well written gripping story. I got into it very quickly and was with Quin every part of the way as she learned more about The Beck. The author's writing style is perfect for this tale; clear and to the point. Yet, this book gave me so many feels. I felt sad, angry, frustrated and heartbroken by the end, but man, was it worth it.

If you have enjoyed dystopian YA novels like The Hunger Games and Divergent, you are sure to love this one. It is well written, has an excellent plot and engaging characters. I kept thinking it would make a great movie as well.

The author provided me with an e-copy of this book, but this does not in any way influence my review. As it is, I thoroughly recommend checking this book out. It is awesome and I am looking forward to reading the sequel Break.
Profile Image for Gabrielle.
149 reviews13 followers
February 2, 2018
This book does not seem as good as it was at first, but after reading it I can find its own charm.

The reason why I gave three stars just because this book is not the type I like. Too much detail and although Quinn is a pretty good character in narration, I can't 'go' into it. I was more concerned with the secrets that The Beck had hidden than her feelings.

But, again--as I said before--this book has its own charm. Especially the mixture of vibration from divergent and delirium, the word building that makes anyone who reads it can understand the situation experienced by Quinn and her friends and of course the friendship between them. I like the feelings of loyal friends and protect each other.

This book is perfect for someone who likes friendship as well as the beginning of the adventure of a country's secrets.
Profile Image for Kristen.
72 reviews
February 16, 2021
Interesting read

I read a lot of dystopian fiction. This particular book had a lot of similar qualities and plot lines to ones I’ve read in the past. Nevertheless, it held my interest and I look forward to reading the next one. One thing I loved about this book was that it was clean. I hope I will be able to say that about subsequent books in the series. I’m off to read the next one! This was definitely interesting enough to keep reading and held my attention, so if you’re looking for your next entertaining dystopian read, here it is!
Profile Image for Michele.
Author 2 books
March 8, 2021
Deep in the dystopian world, Flow is well written, building a world steeped in oppression and control. Quin's character is well-fleshed out, as we delve into her experiences in Agric...and beyond. The book concludes with a compelling cliffhanger, leaving us to wonder what else she will find out as she moves deeper into the world of Patrol.
Profile Image for E R K.
32 reviews4 followers
October 12, 2018
You know the drill, for more reviews and bookish discussions, click here

We have to do things we hate just to survive here. You can’t be sentimental.

You know that feeling when you read a really good book and all you can do is just squeal in delight? That’s what’s happening with me right now! Even as I write this review, all I can think about is the next book in the series ‘Break’ and how badly I want to read it. I had to write this review before I started reading ‘Break’ and trust me the struggle was real, it is taking me all my will power to not start reading that book right away!

This review might end up as ‘The One Where ERK squeals’. You have been warned!

OK, OK, now let’s try to form coherent sentences for the review.

Straight off the bat, I loved this book! I have found that I really enjoy reading dystopian fiction and if you too are like me, you will adore this one!

Clare Littlemore’s debut is a master-piece and it stands out in a fabulous way! This one is a gripping, absolute page-turner and you will be sucked into the story right from the start.

Everything in this book was perfect; the character building, the world building and especially the writing. The writing was straight to the point, simple yet wonderfully managed to translate the scenes and surroundings in the reader’s mind. This book is told from the protagonist, Quin’s POV. The first person POV really helped to develop a relationship with Quin and to feel ‘for’ as well as ‘with’ her. When you are able to feel happy for the character, cry with her/him or even when you see yourself reflected in the character, that’s when you know you have found the perfect read and this was one such book.

Littlemore made sure that the reader had an accurate description of life in The Beck, the dystopian society Quin is a part of. She provides us with a glimpse into the day-to-day life of the characters and in doing so, perfectly lays the foundation of a fabulous world-building. We get to see Quin and her friends work in the ‘Agric/Agriculture’ sector and communicate in their secret, wordless language. Wordless, because some of the many ‘sectors’ of The Beck do not allow any kind of communication. There are various sectors in The Beck which function for different reasons to ensure the continuity of the society, some of them are ‘Livestock’, ‘Sustenance’, ‘Patrol’ etc. While some may say that the book starts out slow, I feel that the book starts out just right, letting us know how The Beck functions. World building is quite important for me especially in dystopian and Fantasy genres.

Quin is a character who will resonate with many people. She loves her friends dearly and does everything in her capacity to help them but she also knows when to step back. She makes sure that her own survival isn’t at stake when she chooses her battles and honestly there is nothing wrong with that. You start to appreciate this fact more when you find out about the place failed citizens go to: The Clearance. A mysterious and ominous place from where no one returns. A place where people are

Abandoned, as if for disposal.

Quin is a normal girl struggling to make sure that she doesn’t end up in Clearance until she can no longer ignore the blatant atrocities, until she finds out.

Now, I know too much. The burden of knowledge lay heavy on my mind.

Quin along with all the other characters in this book was exceptionally developed. I loved Quin’s friends Harper and Cassidy. I loved how all of them were so different from each other yet inseparable. Quin is an ‘average’ citizen until she finds out, Cass is an adventurous, short-tempered soul ready to take risks, Harper is the one with a sensible head, the voice of reason. Both Cass and Quin worked really hard to make sure that they could provide the protection Harper needed. When they were eventually separated, I was torn, it was traumatizing. The characters which came later and even those who appeared for shorter periods of time left their marks. I loved Tyler and I am rooting for Cameron, the patrol guy ❤ 😉

The interaction between characters was one belittled with apprehension and doubt.

In a community where testing was constant and rejection a permanent threat, trust and honesty were hard to come by.

Hence, it wasn’t sudden, the right atmosphere was first built for the interaction to happen. Not only was communication barred but genders were kept segregated in the Lower Beck sectors. I loved how Quin’s curiousity was depicted when she first mingled with the opposite sex.

Romance isn’t at the core of this book but a few sweet moments stolen here and there made me go ‘aww’! I am literally rooting for Quin and Cam ❤️ They were simply adorable.

The story moved forward at a fairly rapid pace. I could find no moment in the book where the plot slacked even a bit. Littlemore knows how to keep you interested and the way she managed to make the right person appear at the right moment made me love her more! I managed to read this in what can be called a sitting.

I am picking up the second book as soon as I finish writing this! If you loved ‘Hunger Games’, this one is for you!

This was a very promising debut and I have added Clare Littlemore to my list 😊
Profile Image for Elizabeth Jane.
330 reviews18 followers
July 19, 2019
It was...ok...

I honestly only continued reading to see the big secret about Clearance. It wasn't as shocking as I expected. Maybe I've read too many other dystopian novels with tougher spines? I don't know. The writing as a whole was a bit amateur as well. The author talked "at you" rather than clearly explaining concepts in descriptive and cohesive blurbs. For example, "Quin felt this because" rather than describing a scene and then relating Quin's obvious emotion afterward. "Davis" was spelled "Davies" a few times too. I don't know if that's a notorious British spelling or not though 😉😆😁
Profile Image for A. Hall.
Author 2 books4 followers
September 8, 2019
This is very well-written, I will say that. I did at least enjoy the prose and strength of the narrative and in the beginning, Quin was easy to follow along with. And it's a very bleak, depressing read, which is typical of dystopia, I suppose. Where it lost me is the details of the world-building and Quin's irrational point of view. Obviously, we're getting everything from her perspective, so, the potential for her to be unreliable is increased in that way. But right around the third quarter of the book, as things are starting to ramp up, her internal reasoning and her realizations blow up the logic of having submitted so entirely to this system in the first place. You really don't want to instill the sense in your reader that the point in which we enter the story is the day your protagonist grew a brain, if the events/life prior to the story's start, their willing oppression in your dystopia is the only way that system has made sense.

Just like every other YA dystopia, it just all falls apart if you think about it beyond what the character's current internal dialogue is and the limited assumptions the author has allowed them to make.
Profile Image for Kristen G.
8 reviews
July 18, 2020
If Divergent took place in Nazi Germany, you'd get Flow.

A very repetetive book with reckless characters who are continuously hiding in foliage. The first time, it was suspenseful as they hid; the fifth time, it was annoying. Three stars bc it was nevertheless an afternoon distraction during the days of covid and bc maybe 14 year olds might like it?
Profile Image for Brianna Remus.
Author 4 books65 followers
April 17, 2018
Review: To start off, I'd like to mention that I am not one who typically enjoys a slow start. I much prefer for books to take off rather quickly because I tend to lose interest if I am not whisked away on the journey from the very beginning. Therefore, my rating of this novel very much reflects my distaste for slow burners, but that is not to say that Flow was not expertly written with a keen eye for intrigue with a world-shattering ending...because it was. For a good one-third of the novel, we follow Quin and her two friends through the rigor of living in The Beck society. Clare paints quite a detailed picture of the post-natural disaster world and the difficulties each character is faced with on a daily basis. I could picture exactly what each scene looked like in my mind as I was reading this novel, which speaks to the expertise Clare has of creating a world from words. The settings remind me of dreary days with little hope in sight of sunshine. The overall tone of the scenes kept me engaged because I just wanted Quin and her friends to find justice for the cruel and inhuman ways of their society. You will likely get a chill from reading this novel as it touches on what life would be like with limited physical or personal connections to others. Those who live in The Beck society are expected to follow the daily routine without questioning its purpose or the consequences it has on the human psyche. Quin's character is quite captivating as she is strong willed, compassionate, and curious. She puts in great effort to protect those she loves despite the harsh rulings of her superiors and the overarching and mysterious governing body. As she is faced with the upsetting reality that her close friend is being removed from society and forced to endure Clearance, Quin's motivation to learn more about the secretive aspects of The Beck lead her to discovering realities she was not quite prepared for. Although Flow begins with a slow start, the second half of the book is fast-paced and inspiring. Overall, if you enjoy or do not mind a slower introduction then Flow will serve you well as a dystopian adventure where friendships are strong and motivating forces that push the characters to challenge everything they know.

www.briannaremusbooks.com
Profile Image for the bookish lover.
46 reviews13 followers
February 2, 2018
Flow by Clare Littlemore
-------5/5 stars-------

My skin is tingling and my head is dizzy with delight. This book was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, in every sense of the word; I devoured its pages in two days (human needs got in the way). It was so captivating and engaging, even though the first couple of chapters were a bit confusing, since I needed some time to adjust to the world, aside from that, I could not put it down.

Flow is the first book in the series, the sequel; Break, came out a couple of days ago, and I can only imagine how great it would be.

The story is set in a world that was shattered by Mother Nature, an environment where floods had destroyed huge parts of the country, so a community was built. The Beck. It was divided into the Upper Beck and the Lower Beck. Each had many pods; an Agricultural pod, LS pods, Dev pods, Patrol pods…The Agri pod, where Quin lived and worked since the age of 14, was the sector that took charge of growing the produce which fed the entire Beck.
Quin and her friends knew that the easiest and only way to survive was to exist unnoticed, and follow the rules. Forgiveness was not an option in The Beck. Every 6 months, all citizens went through an assessment day to test them. And the results were either to get promoted within the pod, reassigned to another sector, or in case of failure, Clearance. The hellhole that no one ever returned from.
After Quin moved to another sector, the patrol, she discovered many hidden secrets and dreadful truths about her community. She realized that they had been deceived and fed bullshit their entire life. Having witnessed many unfairness, injustice and discrimination, staying by the rules and keeping quite was no longer an option for Quin.

This is a fantasy book with a YA touch, the romance was not something the author focused on, but those occasional, sweet loving moments, the looks, the whispers, the first kiss, ah !! they were the death of me. I loved Cam and Quin so much, and i wished it went on forever.

Divergent fans, this book is for you, you will love it as much as I did. I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
630 reviews38 followers
July 24, 2019
I received a digital arc in exchange for an honest review. This is simply my opinion on the book and is not influenced by any external factor.

What an amazing story! I couldn’t put it down!

Welcome to The Beck, where your Assessment performance determines how you live your life. If you do well, you can work in the Upper Beck where you are fed well and are allowed some recreation. If you work in the Lower Beck, expect smaller rations, no time to make friends, and very demanding work. Each sector has Supers, or supervisors or seniors, to oversee the work being done and to manage the workers. If you fail at what you do, you end up in Clearance, the lowest level with no way back up.

This story focuses on a Beck citizen named Quin who after her assessment is promoted from Lower Beck Agric to Upper Beck Patrol. During her induction to Patrol, she starts to understand the differences between how each of the sectors are treated, and how The Beck ‘manages’ underperformance.

In a way, this reminded me of some real world societies and employers. At the end of the day, it’s all a hierarchy to determine who gets the most and who gets the least, and sometimes, the reasons they have for choosing people to have the least are unfair.

The introduction was a bit slow compared to the remainder of the story, but still was captivating as we see Quin and her friends during the assessment and are curious as to the outcome. The story itself flowed smoothly, the excitement kept building as each chapter progressed. The characters themselves were all unique and well developed.

And even though there were some romantic moments, it clearly was a minor side plot and did not take away from the main story.

Definitely reminded me of Divergent and the Maze Runner, and would recommend this to fans of that genre. It is a clean read but the story itself was very dark and involves witnessing a mass murder. Probably not great for younger sensitive readers, however, this may be a way to introduce them to the fact that the world itself isn’t fair.

Overall rating: 4/5, an excellent start to the series, here’s to the sequel!
Profile Image for Andy N.
408 reviews23 followers
February 22, 2018
A great, fresh novel with a gripping storyline that is on the level of Hunger Games.

Welcome to The Beck, a society divided into several sectors: Agriculture, Sustenance, Development, amongst others. In the Assessment, everyone gets assigned to their factors or, if they fail, sent to the Clearance, the darkest place in The Beck. Life there is very simple: follow the rules, always obey your orders. One infraction and you’re sent to the Clearance. Governed by tight laws and regulations, everything is controlled to the maximum, including human touch and interactions. Quinn has only known the Agri Pod, where she and her friends work in the fields. However, she thirsts for something different, something that can make her feel alive. When Quinn makes a decision, it will change her life forever. When Quinn discovers the terrible truth about the system, she realises that her choice comes with a high price.

A great storyline with brilliant characters! The story has a steady pace to it and the reader is slowly introduced to the world of The Beck and its dangers though Quinn’s eyes. It’s a brutal reality and Clare Littlemore gives the reader glimpses of hope through the interactions and the emotions of and between the characters. There is friendship, truth, violence, oppression and the difficult choices one has to make to change their lives. Every piece of information that the author gives it important and is part of a bigger picture. There is also a bit of romance in the story, it builds up nicely but it’s not in the centre of the novel, which is perfect for me. A few surprises and twists kept me connected to the story from beginning to end.

The style of writing is captivating and engaging. The language is simple, easy to follow and to understand. Littlemore gives enough descriptions and details for the reader to imagine this world but leaves the details open to interpretation and design.

The characters are very nicely constructed and developed in depth. They are all very likeable and it’s easy to feel the connection they have with each other. Quin is a great main leading female character: she is compassionate, determined but kind and very down to earth. She knows her limits and he’s not afraid of going for a change that feels like a jump into the unknown. Nonetheless, she takes the leap and even when things don’t go as planned, she keeps going while motivating the others. Cameron, the main male character is still a bit of a mystery but his relationship with Quin was a very addition to the story and I’m curious to see what happens next with them. Quinn’s relationship with the other characters, Cassidy and Harper was a treat to follow. They share a very strong connection and the reader can both see and feel it throughout the novel. I hope the author will reveal more about these characters in the next novel.

This novel is a breath of fresh air for the fans of dystopian novels. I highly recommend it!

I want to thank Clare Littlemore for reaching out and sending me a free digital copy of her novel in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sara Taylor.
71 reviews2 followers
April 11, 2018
Flow by Clare Littlemore

This novel is about a girl named Quin who lives in a dystopian society called The Beck. The story focuses on her struggling to survive in the strict society and discovering more about the ways it works, finally discovering its darkest secret.

The story begins with her working in Agric, a group that is responsible for cultivating the food for the entire society, with her two best friends, Harper and Cass. We are shown the strict requirements for maintaining a role as a productive member of The Beck society in their daily life and in their twice-yearly fitness and mental testing. Soon after this test, the three friends are separated – Quin to be transferred to Patrol (a police like groups within the society), and Harper to Clearance, where those no longer deemed fit enough for Beck society are sent, never to return.

This is where the story gets even more intense, as Quin moves to her new training with Patrol and gains more access to information about how The Beck society works. Quin and her new patrol friends attempt to investigate the Clearance section of the society, and soon discover the dark secret they would wish never to have learned.

The novel is well-written with good flow that keeps the story moving naturally. We become attached to the characters easily, and all the twists and turns are well revealed. The novel kept my interest easily, and I was always eager to sneak in a few more pages whenever I had the chance. I love dystopian novels, and this society was just as intriguing as the big hitters in this genre like Divergent and The Hunger Games, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

My only complaint is that the end of the book felt more like the climax one would expect in the middle of the book, with very little resolution – so I’ll have to read the sequel immediately. It’s definitely a cliff-hanger ending, where we only get a taste of the direction Quin and her new Patrol friends must turn to try to improve the horrific society they have found themselves in.

Overall rating: 5/5

Review by Breakeven Books
Profile Image for PsycoKai.
20 reviews3 followers
August 6, 2018
Flow was an interesting read. Quin was a rather enjoyable POV to read from, and it's only her POV through the entire book. She's intelligent, strong in many ways, curious (dangerously so), but also kept intentionally ignorant of most anything that she doesn't absolutely have to know to work. Males and females are kept seperate as much as possible. When one is 14 they are assigned to their "pod" which is the group you work and live with, along with an overseer (a.k.a. Super). The Governence of The Beck does it's best to isolate the people not just from the outside world, but also from each other. "In a community where testing was a constant and rejection a permanent threat, trust and honesty were hard to come by." Survival of the fittest seems to be the rule and to an extreme. What does one consider to be "the fittest" though? Is it simply to not get an infection from a cut or to never break a bone? I always felt that "fittest" included intelligence, cunning, mental fitness, and many other things, not just physical fitness and strength. Quin manages to have a couple friends and be a good and loyal friend despite the isolating rules of The Beck, which could get her into a lot of trouble if she was caught. The saying "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it," came to mind when I was reading this, I even noted it in my notes on my Kindle. Quin wanted to know more about The Beck, but once she gets the chance.... The Beck is there to keep humans alive at the expense of the individual's humanity, and no society can last long when one has to trade being human for being alive. It just doesn't work.
As one who feels most romance is gratuitious and unnecessary in the books I read it was nice to see the romance I've learned will almost always be there was low key, sweet, and innocent. It's nice to be able to not get annoyed with romance when I'm trying to enjoy a good dystopian story.
I really enjoyed reading Flow. Time went by so fast that I ended up reading it all in one sitting.
Profile Image for Steven.
Author 1 book23 followers
June 23, 2020
Flow is a dystopian novel set in a world affected seemingly by the climate. The Beck is a settlement with strict rules governing society. Rules are necessary to ensure the safety and security of the citizens. Everything is governed - live stock, food production, even the birth of future citizens. A vast wall surrounds The Beck protecting it from the flood waters that frequently threaten the community.

Following Quinn, we learn about the difficulties of life in The Beck. Though it might be a sanctuary, life is difficult. Every member of the community must show they are contributing to society or be sent to Clearance. Everybody must follow the rules or risk being sent to Clearance. Everyone that serves no purpose is sent to Clearance and is never heard from again. Once a year citizens take part in a test, psychological evaluation and physical test that could see them promoted or moved to different sectors within the community. Quin finds herself leaving the Agricultural Sector to start a new chapter as part of Patrol - the division of citizens tasked with policing The Beck. But during the few short days she spends training with patrol it becomes clear that not everything in The Beck is quite as it seems.

Overall I enjoyed the dystopian world of The Beck with its draconian rules and dark mysteries. That said I did struggle with the core of the story only really coming to light right at the end of the book. I felt the story was progressing to a big reveal that came very late. That frustration, in large part, was of my own making, not entirely realising the book was the first in a series. With that in mind, I would really like to see now where things go for Quin and her compatriots as I did for the most part enjoy the story. All in all, Flow ticked the boxes for a dystopian novel - bleak world, little hope, rebellious elements - to make an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Teresa.
Author 4 books63 followers
March 23, 2019
Page-turner of a book! Welcome to the world of the flooded future, where the competition is fierce for livable land. I loved the main character. Quin is at once, determined, outspoken, and frighteningly naive. She lives in the Beck, a walled-in world where everything is controlled and everyone has their job to do to ensure the survival of the Beck. All aspects of life are controlled, including birth, child-rearing, and the duty one performs for the Beck.

The story opens on a special day, when each resident of the Beck is reviewed to check that they are ably performing their job--and not becoming a burden to society. Those who don't pass are reassigned to "Clearance". I won't elaborate--and share spoilers, just suffice to say that it's a place no one wants to go-without knowing what it is. All they are sure of is that no one is ever seen again after they go there.

Quin is a teenager, and her job is to plant food crops, tend the crops, pick the crops, and store crops for food distribution. She had no choice in the job she was assigned when she came of age, and she doesn't seem to realize that what she and her peers do is slave labor. She is starting suspect, though, that something isn't right about how it's all run.

The characters are well-written, the world building is solid, the pacing is fast. There seemed to be such a feeling of urgency through this tale.

I would set this book beside Divergent on my bookshelf. I admit, I enjoyed this one a bit more than Roth's story.
173 reviews4 followers
November 4, 2022
I always love a young adult dystopian romance novel. I was even more excited to learn this was a series of 3 books. The world they live in on the Beck is harsh, cruel, and intriguing. They are surrounded by water and basically put into sanctions called lower and upper Beck. Lower Beck gets less rations for food and works long days. They are not allowed to speak to one another openly or have relationships with others. Their sole purpose is to work and provide for the good of the Beck. They are also separated by gender in the Lower Beck. The world the author developed was interesting. As a reader, it leaves you with a lot of questions about what lies beyond the Beck. Quinn is the main heroine. I didn't love her but I didn't dislike her either. Also, it says there is a love story. I didn't see the love story come to life as much as I would have liked. Cam could have been a strong character, but something was missing. Maybe having dual points of view from Quinn and Cam would have brought more of a connection between the two characters. Cam is an important character in this story as a whole series, but we lose track of him at points in the series. The first book was quite sad and depressing because of the hardships Quinn and her friends endure, but worth the read into Book 2 to see if they can improve their life and circumstances. Believe me when I say you have to read this book to get to the good stuff.

Love the covers of these books too!
41 reviews2 followers
February 14, 2019
This was a wonderful debut novel by Littlemore! I truly was impressed with the character development, and reveals throughout the story. I loved to see the tight friendship of youth and the growth of Quin to see that everything that she has been told isn't the truth and how to reconcile that within herself. Quin works in the agriculture sector of the Beck and at the semi-annual testing she is transferred to patrol. In patrol she learns that the food that she has worked tirelessly to cultivate isn't evenly allocated, that the lower sectors are kept in the dark about many things, and that there are true horrors in her protected community. BUT she also learns that she has additional privileges in patrol, such as speaking freely and working with the opposite sex.

I think the only part that hung me up is that the setting of the book was confusing to me. Obviously, this is a dystopian society. They discussed floodwaters, but streams aren't flooded forever (even after a natural disaster). At one point someone referred to it as the sea and then I thought maybe we were near the ocean, but if they are near the ocean 1) why aren't they accounting for high tide in their protection plans and 2)why are there mountains adjacent to the beach. Despite that hiccup in the setting, I thoroughly enjoyed the read!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 133 reviews