Start by marking “Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means) (Skill Builders Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means) (Skill Builders Series, #2)

Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means)

(Skill Builders Series #2)

Do you struggle with creating conflict in your novel? You don't have to. Janice Hardy, award-winning author and founder of the popular writing site, Fiction University, takes you deep inside one of the most important aspects of storytelling--conflict. She'll help you understand what conflict really is, discuss the various aspects of conflict, and reveal why common advice ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Janice Hardy

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means)

Start your review of Understanding Conflict (And What It Really Means) (Skill Builders Series, #2)
Jonathan H. LATER
This review was inspired by my annotations. To view all my detailed annotations you are welcome to join my Patreon page (John Lawchamp). For $0.99 you can read my favorite lines and excerpts from the book with additional personal thoughts. The annotations are released once the review of that book has been posted on Goodreads. Why spend $15.00 on a book you are not invested in when you can explore the main topics for a fraction of the price? Visit Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Lawchamp

John Law
Bonnie Randall
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
As a writer you have doubtlessly had at least one crit partner tell you that your story "lacks conflict" - and then been baffled as to how your manuscript is underperforming. Understanding Conflict peels away the layers of misconception about this beast called 'conflict' and helps define the direction a manuscript needs to go in order to maximize the conflict in a story (hint: conflict is not tension. And obstacles are not conflict either).

An excellent manual for veterans and /or newbies. Janic
Adrian
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. It really helped clarify a lot of confusion I was having with the concept of conflict and what it means and also how to create it and use it appropriately. This will be getting a lot of use as a reference book!
Mary Catelli
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-write
A how-to-write book.

What is conflict, how it relates to tension, how it differs from character arc (which you may not need), the importance of goal and motives for everyone, obstacles and whether they move the story forward -- and more.
Federico Platzman
This book is fantastic.
It provided me a myriad of options to introduce more conflict in my stories. It was clear, concise, detail-oriented.

After a thorough read I'm confident I can incorporate not only more conflict, but also make it more diverse and make it spring up from different sources in my material.

Peggy Miller
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

This has been very beneficial for someone like me as a newbie fiction writing. I appreciate your detailed, but easy to gasps the information you provided. New writer need the mechanical of writing broken down.
Thank you, this is a must read for writers.
Piero Mattirolo
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a 5 star rating not because I consider it an outstanding book in absolute terms, but rather because it does fulfil its promise of helping understand conflict in writing.
The author provides useful advice on introducing or enhancing conflict in fiction writing.
Chessela Helm
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book about writing conflict. Lots of great analysis and new ways of looking at things.
Mario Russo
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Good stuff.. I'm kinda enjoying these books that are focused on one topic only and goes as deep as it goes. Hope it becomes a trend. Recommended. ...more
Bethany  T
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, on-writing
Well developed, straight to the point and practical.
Nikki Kincaid
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Really helped me understand conflict and how to add it to my writing.
G. Edward  Smith
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Perfectly written and amazing advice. The easily readable book is chocked full of great advice and has helped me so much in planning my second novel.
Ann Thomas
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most helpful books on writing I have ever read. Highly recommended.
Pamela Harstad
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many ideas

Janice presents several opportunities to add conflicts to your novel. Good for planning or fixing your story. A resource to keep.
Amanda Warner
Jan 22, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 2)
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development
  • Show, Don't Tell: How to write vivid descriptions, handle backstory, and describe your characters’ emotions (Writers’ Guide Series Book 3)
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • The Plot Dot: An eight-step visual guide to plotting unforgettable fiction and writing a book readers love.
  • The Cleaners (Faraway, #4)
  • Mateship with Birds
  • 5 Secrets of Story Structure: How to Write a Novel That Stands Out
  • Solid Story Compass: How to Become Your Own Developmental Editor or Script Consultant, Stop Second-Guessing Your Storytelling Decisions, and Prevent Inconsistencies ... Reader Wrath (Iterative Outlining Book 2)
  • Sparkling Story Drafts: How to Outline Your Way Toward Cleaner Rough Drafts, Reduce Your Revision Time, and Get a First-Rate Screenplay or Novel onto the ... (Iterative Outlining Book 3)
  • Sizzling Story Outlines: How to Outline Your Screenplay or Novel, Always Know “What Happens Next,” and Finish Your Rough Draft Without Freaking Out (Iterative Outlining Book 1)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Verbalize: bring stories to life & life to stories (live wire writer guides)
  • Crafting the Character ARC
  • Titanborn (Children of Titan, #1)
Janice Hardy is the award-winning author of the teen fantasy trilogy The Healing Wars, including The Shifter, Blue Fire, and Darkfall from Balzer+Bray/Harper Collins.

She also writes the Grace Harper series for adults under the name, J.T. Hardy.

When she's not writing fiction, she runs the popular writing site Fiction University, and has written multiple books on writing, including Understanding Sh

Skill Builders Series (2 books)
  • Understanding Show, Don't Tell (And Really Getting It) (Skill Builders Series, #1)

News & Interviews