Start by marking “Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes” as Want to Read:
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes

Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets - Islamic book for kids
"A beautiful picture book that simultaneously explores shapes, Islam, and the cultures of the Muslim people." - Kirkus Reviews

Toddler book of shapes and Islamic traditions: From a crescent moon to a square garden to an octagonal fountain, this breathtaking picture book celebrates the shapes-and traditions-of the Mu
Published April 10th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets

Danielle
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book.
La Coccinelle
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a beautiful little book that I happened to see at the library. At first, I thought it might be aimed at toddlers (considering that it's a "book of shapes"), but it would probably be a little better suited to children who are a bit older.

The illustrations are really gorgeous, incorporating a diverse cast of Muslim characters from all over the world, along with shapes and patterns and arabesques that give the book a unique flavour. If I had one complaint, it was that I didn't realize there
Joan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
This is a very nice concept book, superficially, of various shapes, but really a little introduction to Muslim culture and religious concepts. Probably more of a 3.5 than a 3 star title. However, it doesn't really show the shapes themselves, just the shape of a item being explained. For example, the Crescent is show by a crescent moon. But it doesn't really show the crescent as only a shape. It is a bit confusing if this is supposed to be a beginning book of shapes, which it really isn't. The il ...more
Kate Olson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Hena Khan's work with her picture book GOLDEN DOMES AND SILVER LANTERNS: A MUSLIM BOOK OF COLORS, and then fell in love with her middle grade title AMINA'S VOICE as well. And now I have another picture book title of hers to swoon over as well! CRESCENT MOONS AND POINTED MINARETS is just as fabulous as GOLDEN DOMES is, and tells stories of the shapes found throughout the Muslim world, while simultaneously teaching lessons of the Muslim culture.

The illustrations by Mehrd
Lynn
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Khan's idea of creating a shape book incorporating examples of Islamic architecture, culture and art! Mehrdokht Amini's illustrations are absolutely gorgeous with deep jewel tones that practically glow. The book design from the cover, end pages and vivid illustrations is simply splendid.

A glossary and an Author's Note adds helpful information.

I only have one quibble and that is more of a request. In the Author's Note, Khan says that each spread depicts a different country from around the
Peacegal
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pretty book this is. The illustrations are a joy to look at. It's a cultural education for children (and adults!) who may be unfamiliar with the Islamic world. I think it's interesting that our library seems to be getting in more cultural picture books such as this, perhaps in the hopes that our town will be less homogenous in the future.
Leila Vega
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book displays a beautiful presentation of shapes with readers. Every page describes a tradition, structure, or landmark significant to the Muslim religion. This book has been selected as A Bank Street College of Education Best Book of the Year, A Parent’s Choice Recommended seal, and an ALA Notable Children’s Book nominee.

The illustrations in this book are in ways simple, yet very engaging. It illustrates Muslim families from different parts of the world. Teachers could use this book to rev
June
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Islam and shape requests
Much needed book. Simple introduction to Islam, by a young girl.
Dianna
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just beautiful, and the kids had fun pointing out the shapes within the illustrations. It has a nice variety of shapes beyond the basic circle and square.
Stacy Natal
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming book about shapes found in Islamic art and architecture. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Elizabeth
I have really liked Hena Khan and Mehrdokht Amini's other work, Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors , and this book has much of Aminii's same beautiful, thoughtful illustrations -- but the shapes are often subtle, so I wouldn't go to this book as a way of teaching shapes necessarily, rather the teaching-shapes provides a frame for exposure to Muslim culture and practice (or, for Muslim readers, reinforcing what they already know -- and giving them the experience of being r ...more
Barbara
Mixed media illustrations complement a picture book that can serve as an excellent introduction to the shapes and traditions associated with Islam. The text relies on rhyming couplets to provide flow to the lines as readers get a peek into a world with which some may be unfamiliar. But it also can serve as a helpful mirror so that other readers may find their own experiences depicted on its pages. A glossary in the book's back matter explains some of the terms encountered here, and then an Autho ...more
Ben Truong
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes is a children's picture book written by Hena Khan and illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini, which is a shape book using examples that someone from the Islamic faith would commonly see on a daily basis.

Khan's text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and poetic. Using simple rhymes the reader is taught simple two and three dimensional shapes that literally shape a Muslim's life. There is a nifty glossary and pronunciation guide at the back
Margie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Each morning as the first pale rays of dawn light touch the sky we wake knowing today is an opportunity to be our best selves. As the sun drops below the horizon and evening descends, we can evaluate what was done or not done and what was said or not said. As an educator, a librarian, it's our sacred task to learn and grow so the patrons, children and adults, who enter the library see, use and read materials which provide the whole world. Everything we do should be in an effort to build connecti
Julie
Beautiful picture book illustrating, in mixed media, Muslim art, architecture, and cultural and religion customs and rituals. The artist and illustrator explore the concept of shapes in art and everyday life - oval tables, diamond designs printed on fabric for clothing, octagonal fountains, rectangular carved doors for mosques, and many others. The colors are vibrant and lovely, the text is interesting and educational, and there is a helpful glossary at the end explaining words that might be unf ...more
Kirin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its probably a good thing I didn't know that this book was coming out or I would have been waiting very restlessly for its release date. I love Hena Khan's Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns and buy it frequently from scholastic to give as gifts, and this book will definitely follow in its footsteps.

The pictures are beautiful and vibrant and full of diversity as familiar shapes introduce possibly unfamiliar things. Aimed at both muslim and non muslim preschoolers, this book does a great job of tel
Tasha
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A superb concept book that has a definite Muslim flair that is very welcome. The rhyming story opens with the cone-shaped tops of the minaret. Rectangle is the mosque’s door. Then readers get invited in to see octagon fountains, arches, triangles formed by stairs. The book moves on to gardens, a shared meal at an oval table. It ends with a crescent moon in the sky.

I appreciate that this concept book about shapes offers many shapes that are not the expected ones like cones and crescents. Add in t
Shannon Anicas
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: By Hena Khan @kidlitexchange #partner Review – all opinions are my own.

***

I have been looking forward to reading this picture book since I read Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns.

As a preschool teacher in a very diverse class, I am always looking for stories that look like the students in my class, because representation matters more to all children.

I love the beautiful illustrations by Mehrdokht Amini. They truly capture the beauty and vibrance of Islamic c
Aolund
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the moment you encounter this book’s richly colored and patterned end paper till the final page, this is an exquisite reading experience. Amini’s illustrations contain moments that are sometimes sacred and sometimes playful; they are all beautifully textured and dimensional. Muslim worshippers is many skin tones are depicted. Khan’s succinct, rhyming English text contains Arabic words that are well contextualized, though there is also a glossary in the back of the book. Oh, and it’s a shape ...more
Esutterlin
Art from different Islamic countries and cultures are featured throughout this book. Some are specified; I wish all gave the specific setting in the back.
Shapes are introduced along with parts of Muslim culture. I like having the diversity of this book to use when doing Shapes in storytime, but also the cultural book to use when focusing on Islamic holidays and wanting to find books that are accessible to non-Muslim readers as well
Prepare ahead with the glossary at the back of the book and the
Tracy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I received an ARC from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets is a concept book that teaches shapes through common objects and celebrations associated with the Muslim faith. It's very well done. We are beyond the concept book phase in our house, but we enjoyed the rhyme, the new vocabulary words, and the diverse illustrations.

I had not read the first book in this series, which focuses on colors, but was thrilled to learn my daughter had read it at school. As m
Laura G
A gorgeous, colorful book that serves as an introduction to shapes, but more significantly, to Muslim culture and practice. The artwork is beautiful and bright, and the potentially unfamiliar vocabulary in the short text is simply defined in the back. The back matter also mentions that each 2-page spread represents a different country from around the world--how I wish the countries would have been listed or the pages labeled!
Sandy Brehl
A book for all readers, all ages.
The multi-racial, multi-cultural characters and settings are fascinating and visually appealing throughout, with helpful and equally intriguing content in the back matter, including a glossary for translations and informative details about the long and rich history of Muslim cultures around the world.
Samantha
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An #Ownvoices book, that shows readers beautiful shapes and concepts/apparel found throughout a Muslim family's day-to-day practices and visits to Mosque (great for early literacy-shape/pattern recognition). Wonderful to feature (and normalize) year-round, especially around Ramadan and Eid. I would recommend using 3d shapes/manipulatives to further show illustrate how we notice shapes around us.
Jillian
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely GORGEOUS illustrations. And a lot of not-usually-found-in-basic-books shapes! We get cubes and octagons and arches, not just circle/square/triangle. (Though we do get some of those, too.)
A neat way to learn about important symbols and observances in Islam, along with the shapes being featured.
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This early concept book was a lovely read! It introduces Muslim faith/culture using simple shapes with Islamic terminology. It's vividly illustrated, and includes a glossary and author's note on shapes in Islamic art add a sweet touch to this stunning picture book.
Debbie Tanner
This is a lovely picture book about shapes and Muslim culture. I really appreciated the glossary in the back because there were a lot of words I was unfamiliar with. This will be a great book to help our students understand different cultures as well as math concepts.
Kate
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations. Provides a very simple introduction to some Muslim traditions and the significance of certain shapes in Islamic art. Most of the info is in the glossary and author’s note at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »