Start by marking “Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes” as Want to Read:
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes

Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes

Toddler book of shapes and Islamic traditions: From a crescent moon to a square garden to an octagonal fountain, this breathtaking picture book celebrates the shapes-and traditions-of the Muslim world.

Toddler book by author Hena Khan: Sure to inspire questions and observations about world religions and cultures, Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets is equally at home in a classroom reading circ/>Toddler
Published April 10th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets

Danielle
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful book.
La Coccinelle
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a beautiful little book that I happened to see at the library. At first, I thought it might be aimed at toddlers (considering that it's a "book of shapes"), but it would probably be a little better suited to children who are a bit older.

The illustrations are really gorgeous, incorporating a diverse cast of Muslim characters from all over the world, along with shapes and patterns and arabesques that give the book a unique flavour. If I had one complaint, it was that I didn't r
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, diversity
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets is a beautiful book that explores both shapes and Muslim culture. The illustrations are striking.
Joan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
This is a very nice concept book, superficially, of various shapes, but really a little introduction to Muslim culture and religious concepts. Probably more of a 3.5 than a 3 star title. However, it doesn't really show the shapes themselves, just the shape of a item being explained. For example, the Crescent is show by a crescent moon. But it doesn't really show the crescent as only a shape. It is a bit confusing if this is supposed to be a beginning book of shapes, which it really isn't. The il ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Hena Khan's work with her picture book GOLDEN DOMES AND SILVER LANTERNS: A MUSLIM BOOK OF COLORS, and then fell in love with her middle grade title AMINA'S VOICE as well. And now I have another picture book title of hers to swoon over as well! CRESCENT MOONS AND POINTED MINARETS is just as fabulous as GOLDEN DOMES is, and tells stories of the shapes found throughout the Muslim world, while simultaneously teaching lessons of the Muslim culture.

The illustrations by Mehrd
Leila Vega
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book displays a beautiful presentation of shapes with readers. Every page describes a tradition, structure, or landmark significant to the Muslim religion. This book has been selected as A Bank Street College of Education Best Book of the Year, A Parent’s Choice Recommended seal, and an ALA Notable Children’s Book nominee.

The illustrations in this book are in ways simple, yet very engaging. It illustrates Muslim families from different parts of the world. Teachers could use this
Lynn
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Khan's idea of creating a shape book incorporating examples of Islamic architecture, culture and art! Mehrdokht Amini's illustrations are absolutely gorgeous with deep jewel tones that practically glow. The book design from the cover, end pages and vivid illustrations is simply splendid.

A glossary and an Author's Note adds helpful information.

I only have one quibble and that is more of a request. In the Author's Note, Khan says that each spread depicts a different country fro
Peacegal
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pretty book this is. The illustrations are a joy to look at. It's a cultural education for children (and adults!) who may be unfamiliar with the Islamic world. I think it's interesting that our library seems to be getting in more cultural picture books such as this, perhaps in the hopes that our town will be less homogenous in the future.
KC
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated with an educational and poetic text that emphasizes on Middle Eastern words and shapes found in their structures.
Stacy  Natal
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming book about shapes found in Islamic art and architecture. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Dianna
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just beautiful, and the kids had fun pointing out the shapes within the illustrations. It has a nice variety of shapes beyond the basic circle and square.
June
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Islam and shape requests
Much needed book. Simple introduction to Islam, by a young girl.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler+
Concept: Shapes

Intricate illustrations highlight different shapes throughout the Islamic world. In addition to the shape identification, Islamic vocabulary is sprinkled throughout. Best for those that identify as Muslim but still great for exposure to the Islamic faith.
Misbah
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A great book to introduce children to the basics of Islam. I feel like there aren't enough books out there for Muslim children that are just for general knowledge, no angles or agendas.

Will definitely be recommending this one.
Bethe
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fresh new look at shapes, through the eyes of a Muslim child. Glossary at the back. Also author note explains more about the artwork in the book, along with the statement that each spread depicts a different country - wish the countries were identified.
Kim
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book that highlights beautiful examples of Islamic art, architecture, and culture.
Elizabeth
I have really liked Hena Khan and Mehrdokht Amini's other work, Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors , and this book has much of Aminii's same beautiful, thoughtful illustrations -- but the shapes are often subtle, so I wouldn't go to this book as a way of teaching shapes necessarily, rather the teaching-shapes provides a frame for exposure to Muslim culture and practice (or, for Muslim readers, reinforcing what they already know -- and giving them the experience of being represe ...more
Elizabeth
The sequel to Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors, Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes absolutely lives up to how excellent the previous book was. This book serves as a brilliant introduction to the Islamic faith as well as Islamic art. The art is absolutely fabulous.

This is a great read for anyone looking to learn, or just to enjoy a lovely book about shapes and art and the ways that can tie into faith.
Barbara
Mixed media illustrations complement a picture book that can serve as an excellent introduction to the shapes and traditions associated with Islam. The text relies on rhyming couplets to provide flow to the lines as readers get a peek into a world with which some may be unfamiliar. But it also can serve as a helpful mirror so that other readers may find their own experiences depicted on its pages. A glossary in the book's back matter explains some of the terms encountered here, and then an Autho ...more
Ben Truong
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes is a children's picture book written by Hena Khan and illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini, which is a shape book using examples that someone from the Islamic faith would commonly see on a daily basis.

Khan's text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and poetic. Using simple rhymes the reader is taught simple two and three dimensional shapes that literally shape a Muslim's life. There is a nifty glossary and pronunciation guide at the
Margie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Each morning as the first pale rays of dawn light touch the sky we wake knowing today is an opportunity to be our best selves. As the sun drops below the horizon and evening descends, we can evaluate what was done or not done and what was said or not said. As an educator, a librarian, it's our sacred task to learn and grow so the patrons, children and adults, who enter the library see, use and read materials which provide the whole world. Everything we do should be in an effort to build connecti
Kirin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its probably a good thing I didn't know that this book was coming out or I would have been waiting very restlessly for its release date. I love Hena Khan's Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns and buy it frequently from scholastic to give as gifts, and this book will definitely follow in its footsteps.

The pictures are beautiful and vibrant and full of diversity as familiar shapes introduce possibly unfamiliar things. Aimed at both muslim and non muslim preschoolers, this book does a grea
Julie
Beautiful picture book illustrating, in mixed media, Muslim art, architecture, and cultural and religion customs and rituals. The artist and illustrator explore the concept of shapes in art and everyday life - oval tables, diamond designs printed on fabric for clothing, octagonal fountains, rectangular carved doors for mosques, and many others. The colors are vibrant and lovely, the text is interesting and educational, and there is a helpful glossary at the end explaining words that might be unf ...more
Tasha
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A superb concept book that has a definite Muslim flair that is very welcome. The rhyming story opens with the cone-shaped tops of the minaret. Rectangle is the mosque’s door. Then readers get invited in to see octagon fountains, arches, triangles formed by stairs. The book moves on to gardens, a shared meal at an oval table. It ends with a crescent moon in the sky.

I appreciate that this concept book about shapes offers many shapes that are not the expected ones like cones and crescen
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Annotation originally published Jan. 2019 at Falling Letters.

A celebration of Islamic faith and artistry, Hena Khan and Mehrdokt Amini’s Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets depicts Muslim religious practices around the world by way of vibrant designs and shapes seen in various spaces. The first-person narrator describes how the beauty she sees strengthens her faith. A glossary and author’s note that addresses the significance of geometry in Islamic art enhance the book for use as a teaching tool. Age 5+.
Shannon Anicas
Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: By Hena Khan @kidlitexchange #partner Review – all opinions are my own.

***

I have been looking forward to reading this picture book since I read Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns.

As a preschool teacher in a very diverse class, I am always looking for stories that look like the students in my class, because representation matters more to all children.

I love the beautiful illustrations by Mehrdokht Amini. They truly capture the beauty and vibrance
Aolund
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the moment you encounter this book’s richly colored and patterned end paper till the final page, this is an exquisite reading experience. Amini’s illustrations contain moments that are sometimes sacred and sometimes playful; they are all beautifully textured and dimensional. Muslim worshippers is many skin tones are depicted. Khan’s succinct, rhyming English text contains Arabic words that are well contextualized, though there is also a glossary in the back of the book. Oh, and it’s a shape ...more
Esutterlin
Art from different Islamic countries and cultures are featured throughout this book. Some are specified; I wish all gave the specific setting in the back.
Shapes are introduced along with parts of Muslim culture. I like having the diversity of this book to use when doing Shapes in storytime, but also the cultural book to use when focusing on Islamic holidays and wanting to find books that are accessible to non-Muslim readers as well
Prepare ahead with the glossary at the back of the book and the
Tracy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I received an ARC from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets is a concept book that teaches shapes through common objects and celebrations associated with the Muslim faith. It's very well done. We are beyond the concept book phase in our house, but we enjoyed the rhyme, the new vocabulary words, and the diverse illustrations.

I had not read the first book in this series, which focuses on colors, but was thrilled to learn my daughter had
Shonna
Dec 17, 2018 added it
Beautiful. If felt like the frequency of unfamiliar words took my little reader out of the story, and I would have preferred to follow one character who could provide an anchor or a sense of connection. (Each spread is a different location with different people.) Since they went with the approach of showing many cultures, and end notes say each spread shows a different country, a label indicating which country would have added enjoyment.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Saffron Ice Cream
  • Martin Rising: Requiem For a King
  • All Are Welcome
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
Hena Khan is the award-winning author of the middle grade novels AMINA’S VOICE, MORE TO THE STORY, and the ZAYD SALEEM: CHASING THE DREAM series, and picture books GOLDEN DOMES AND SILVER LANTERNS, CRESCENT MOONS AND POINTED MINARETS, NIGHT OF THE MOON, and UNDER MY HIJAB. She wrote IT'S RAMADAN, CURIOUS GEORGE and the WORST CASE SCENARIO ULTIMATE ADVENTURE MARS and AMAZON books.