Start by marking “Carson Clare's Trail Guide to Avoiding Death (And Other Unpleasant Consequences)” as Want to Read:

Parents call it adolescence. You know it as the Freak Show. Loserville. The Years of Whiny Posers. Growing up is hard enough already. Now, with the help of Carson Clare's Trail Guide to Avoiding Death (And Other Unpleasant Consequences), you'll learn about some of the additional idiocies, mortal dangers, and personal potholes that are waiting to trip you up as you navigate ...more
Published August 4th 2017 by Ninth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Carson Clare's Trail Guide to Avoiding Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carson Clare's Trail Guide to Avoiding Death

Start your review of Carson Clare's Trail Guide to Avoiding Death (And Other Unpleasant Consequences)
Brittany ☾
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just won this book from a Goodreads giveaway! :) I'll update the review and rating when I finish reading.
KarnagesMistress
Aug 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I always enjoy seeing what else Bruce McCandless's mind has spawned. I enjoy passing the books along even more. You can't just keep something like this all to yourself! I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Finley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, favorites
I received a free digital copy of this book through a giveaway hosted on GoodReads.

Carson Clare’s Field Guide to Avoiding Death was a very silly and very enjoyable little book of themed poems. Although each poem warns of the dangers of the world, it did not fail to bring a smile to my face. And, although it was obviously meant to be fun, it also carried with it not one but many very good messages: don’t do things to harm or torment others, but do not allow those who were mean to you in the past
Diane Hernandez
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Poems about middle school threats with excellent illustrations. Carson Clare’s Trail Guide to Avoiding Death has poems about everyday fears like bullies and sharks along with less common ones like Australia, old people and cars.

Fears abound in the Trail Guide. Many are imaginatively described. Revenge is a zoo of paranormal beasts begging to be set free. The school cafeteria includes crawling rice pilaf and chili that smells like your foot. Old people hit a little too close to home. Each fear is
CatherineReads
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very fun and relatable book! I thought it was funny and cute while covering important topics. The images are beautiful also. Each poem has a danger rating and survival tips which are all hilarious. My favorite poems were The Patriarchy, The Cafeteria, Grammar, Selfies, Social Media, Nazis, Geography, and Body Shamers, but they were all really good. I highly recommend especially if the reader is in middle school or recently out. Looking forward to volume two!
Kerry Pickens
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
It's a cute little book for teenagers with some poetry and graphic art. The drawings are better than than poetry. It would make a nice gift.
Holly L'Heureux
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. This book was a good conglomeration of poems, but it did not seem to flow with me. They were not bad but not really my style is all. I am glad that I won this book though. It was fun to read.
Denise
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
The poems seem to have the right mix that teens would enjoy and adults wouldn't worry about gifting it to them (especially with the useful advice). The artwork is wonderful!
Natasha
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute little book. The graphic are very nice.
Jeana
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a fun book that is a made of poems that relate to the intricacies of the adolescent world. As I have been out of that world for quite a while now I find something like this book to be a great way for fellow adolescence (i.e. freak show) to find humor in what can be a very confusing and often embarrassing world. It takes a good while to figure out that this part of life is a tiny fraction of the whole picture and this book is a great way for others to relate to the humor in it. The ...more
Maggie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This is a fun book of poems about the dangers of adolescence (and sharks). The poems are cute and give danger ratings and tips for surviving each one. It's an easy and unintimidating book with nice illustrations that would make a good gift gift for the right age.
Sheralee
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I remember adolescence! This is a fun read! It's just outright funny. Even the bios about the authors and illustrator are a laugh. I really enjoyed the danger ratings and survival tips. If you want to know what those are, read the book. This book is a keeper to reread often.
Nikki
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this. I think this is a great middle grade collection of fun and enjoyable poetry. It was all very amusing and easy to follow. The artwork was brilliant. I had great fun reading this. Wish is was longer.
Gwen
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gave this to my middle school grandson. He loves it.

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads.
Janet
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this book. Great graphics. Thank you Goodreads giveaway.
Jessica Walters
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
Whimsical and at least partly true.
Michelle
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute book thank you so much.
Sarah Patterson
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. The poems were great and the illustrations were awesome.
Tara Messier
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the poems were really messed up, others were kinda funny.
gypsydreams
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining somewhat twisted and whimsical work of poetic license that reminds me of the dark side of Shel Silverstein.Was a fun read made me laugh some and made me think some and I enjoy that .I was given a copy of this book free for an honest review namaste :)
Katya
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Robot overlords, a CrossFit Santa, alien dangers, indecision, and—most frightening of all—steamed vegetables. I had epic amounts of fun reading these tales of caution!
Paula
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, ya-titles
Just odd and uninteresting mix of bad poetry.
Raquel Elder

• A Guide to the Reading Workshop
  • Will
  • Loxy Quum and the Merge Experiment
  • Something to Talk About
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Deep Conviction: True Stories of Ordinary Americans Fighting for the Freedom to Live Their Beliefs
  • That's Not What Happened
  • Blood Brothers: The Story of the Strange Friendship between Sitting Bull and Buffalo Bill
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • The Lions Are Leaping!
  • Richard III
Bruce McCandless lives in Austin, the City of the Violet Crown, where he practices law and operates both the large hadron collider and the primitive linotype machinery of Ninth Planet Press (Motto: IMAGINATION IS NOT A CRIME). A native of Seabrook, near the Houston Ship Channel, Bruce studied History and Anthropology at the University of Texas and graduated with a degree from UT's Plan II honors ...more