Start by marking “Better Web Typography for a Better Web” as Want to Read:
Better Web Typography for a Better Web

Better Web Typography for a Better Web

Better Web Typography for a Better Web is a book is based on a top-rated online course explaining typography to people who build web sites—web designers and web developers. The author, Matej Latin, takes complex concepts such as vertical rhythm, modular scale and page composition, and explains them in a simple way. The content of the book is accompanied by live code exampl ...more
230 pages
Published June 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Better Web Typography for a Better Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Web Typography for a Better Web

Start your review of Better Web Typography for a Better Web
Stacey
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best coverage on the topic of web typography that I have had the pleasure to read and adapt. Matej goes through enough history of typography to make the topic consumable to developers and designers, but not at the cost of forcing the reader to put hours of research into the topic just to understand the core concepts. This is not to say that the book lacks instruction or technical expertise. I find it impressive how seemingly easy the author presents scenarios and expert instru ...more
Kyle
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must-read for web designers looking to improve their Typography!
Ihor
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Дуже хороша книга орієнтована суто на веб типографіку. Врешті розібрався як коректно вираховувати інтерліньяж та співвідношення блоків. В книзі є корисні додатки, які є короткою витяжкою основних питань, а також є блоки css коду для організації тих чи інших елементів тексту.
Sa5ha
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I haven't fully got through this book, but from what I have read, I've got to say it's simply brilliant.

Matej has done a fantastic job in getting across the basics of typography on the web and what to look for. This book has helped me enormously and given me the typography bug!

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone interested in any form of design, be it web, graphic or other.
René Roth
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on web typography - beautifully captures all nuances and details, without becoming hard to read or boring. The techniques presented can be directly applied to your designs and layouts and will immediately improve them.
In my opinion a new must-read for web designers.
Semih Memiş
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Attention This book is a one way ticket!
If you read it, you can not never read a web page is a basic web page again. Because you know all about web typography after the read of this book. And bad typography very easy seen to your eyes.
Todd Padwick
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you read any book on web design or development. Make it this one. A must read, bridging the gap between designers and developers for better web typography.
Ivy DeWitt
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux-design
Better Web Typography isn't just a book about typography. In my perspective, it's a book about reframing the way we use type on the web. While this book covers the basics of typography, including its history and the standard need-to-know aspects of type anatomy, it goes above and beyond by providing accessible content for designs and developers.

The book takes a firm stance on saying that both design and development teams need to be involved in typography, and it shows throughout the book. For e
Lee
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: web designers and developers
Excellent book -- can't wait to start implementing what I've learned on my projects. He makes it easy to understand what to do and provides code examples and results. I like that he explained the history and the whys for the way things are done.

This book should be required reading for any course on web design or web development.

My only quibble is it's a pain to read it on a Kindle because you have to zoom the illustrations and because the website code examples are not linked -- copying and past
Vanesa Román
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far this is a book that we needed for that grey area between the web design and typography. I really like the book I love the easy and clear way that this book is written, as a non-native English speaker I do I appreciate it. I’m a typography lover since I discover it, as a classic graphic designer living in this digital era I really needed to set up all my knowledge in orden and understand how to apply it in web design. I also love the respect and love that the author shows for typography.
Valeria Vozzheva
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with hands on recommendation for web developers. In fact, it took me quite long to read because I had to go through some parts several times in order to apply the concepts in my own projects! Already recommended it to my colleagues.
A complement on the narrative style: Matej does not insist on his opinion to be the ultimate truth. He gives readers alternative ways or ideas to implement certain things. Thank you for your remarkable work!
Steve
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Highly recommended for anyone interested in learning how typography works on the web
Steve Anthony
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book was absolutely wonderful. Every theory and practical was really useful
Néstor Menta
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started the course wich this book compiles but I didn't be able to end it due to bad time management. So when the book was compiled I had it in my reading queue and it totally worth it.

It covers many concepts I've already known because I've studied typography, but the focus in web typography was the thing I was searching for. And Matej covers it with ease and enough deepness.

So I would recommend this book to anyone who starts in web design, or even those who were working for some time in this
Jevgenij
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice introduction to typography for web developers and designers. It's nice that for every advice some backstory and reasoning is given. All presented points are simple and well categorized. ...more
Bernie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive trip through essential typography as it applies to current web practices. Clearly written and well organized. A must for anyone who puts type online in any form.
Nigar
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good and helpful book on typography. It is not only for designers but developers as well (probably more front-end developers), it has really cool insight on typography and it’s use and it also covers topics to which most of us don’t give a lot of thought: like quotation marks, small caps, dashes, spaces etc. It also has some lines of code for developers to show how to implement some things and so on. I found it very useful as a designer and I think it can also be good for developers, co ...more
David Udvardy
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: product-design
A quick to read practical guide on how to deal with pleasing page layouts and the finger details of micro typography. Good guidelines, and avoids taking himself to seriously. Admits the role of subjective judgment, he is not trying to show totally as a science.
Chris
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
After subscribing and enjoying the email series thought I would give the book a shot. Content is very similar to Flexible Typesetting by Tim Brown but the extra code examples help reinforce the ideas presented. The equaliteral triangle is also a very userful metaphor.
Delonn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very handy guide to efficient use of Typography on the web! Loads of important topic covered like the co-relation between font-size, line-height & line width. Author also talks about micro Typography which opens up our eyes—mind and take a fresh perspective on how to tackle those details.

Definitely recommend any web designer & web developer to grab a copy if they want to bring their Web Typography game up!
Junkomi Eno
When I bought this book I was hoping to learn more about typography that I could not only apply to the web but also e-Books that I format. Having paid $30 from Amazon I was a bit disappointed when I saw the table of contents and even more so when I read through the book. I have been studying typography for two years, self-taught, and was hoping to learn more then simple basic stuff that could be searched on the internet in a matter of a few seconds.

Now don't get me wrong this book is great for n
sarah semark
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A great primer on how traditional typographic rules can be applied to the web. If you're a designer, it might not cover a lot of new ground per se, but it's always good to have a wee bit of a refresher. Feels poorly-edited toward the end—there's a chapter that summarises the main points of the book as though it's gearing up for a conclusion, but then some more chapters are tacked on the end—maybe later additions? ...more
Alex
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Everyone in the tech/digital world should read it. Really useful for designers and developers, but CEOs and marketers as well. Loved it!
Valentina
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best typography book ever.
Jon
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subject-design, owned
This should have been a blog series, not a 200-page book. The author mentions several times that it started out as a short email course, and that he only turned the material into a book because his readers wanted more depth.

Unfortunately, his book doesn’t contain nearly as much depth as it does fluff. The writing is sloppy and the editing is non-existent (if English isn’t your native language you owe it to your readers to *at least* have someone correct your grammar).

The book is mostly a beginne
Przemyslaw
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that changed my view on web typography. Thank you Matej. Great customer support!
Merlin Zuni
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Nilufar Süleymanzade
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for web designers and who wants to improve their typography.
Tien Dat