Start by marking “The Proof Is the Way It Hurts” as Want to Read:
The Proof Is the Way It Hurts

The Proof Is the Way It Hurts

Two small town boys fell in love.
One got left behind.
One went off to war.
He came back a man.
A broken, lonely, desperate man searching for the one thing to ease his pain.
Can Dylan forgive George for leaving him?
Can love snuff out the pain?
The Proof Is the Way It Hurts.
*This is a standalone M/M novella. A shorter version of this story was featured as a KU Korner's Be
Published July 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Proof Is the Way It Hurts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proof Is the Way It Hurts

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Proof Is the Way It Hurts is a short, stand alone novella by E.S. Carter. This is a M/M second chance romance that will pull all of your heartstrings.

George and Dylan were childhood friends that became something more, something wonderful. But what they had, they kept a secret, until they were caught. George was forced to flee. But now it’s two years later. Two long agonizing years. George is back to reclaim what was always his. Unless he’s too late.

Dylan Davies gave up hope that George would
E.S. Carter
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
FREE M/M novella.
warhawke
Genre: M/M Romance
Type: Short Story
POV: First Person - Male
Rating:

George Milford used to run away from who he really was, but he's done hiding. Now he's back and vowed to get back Dylan Davies, the only one who could make him feel alive.

"You can't rock up now with your tattoos and your muscles and decide you want me again. It doesn't fucking work like that, George."

The story, even though short, managed to establish the emotions and the dynamic between the two characters. I like what both o
CrabbyPatty
OMG, I found this story deeply moving. The novella begins with George lying on a dusty road in Afghanistan, the victim of a roadside bombing, looking into the eyes of a dead soldier next to him. But the face morphs into the face of his beloved Dylan and knowing that he could "take my last silent breath on this dusty ground," George begs for Dylan's forgiveness for leaving him.

Two years later, George returns to their small Welsh town to find Dylan. We get glimpses of their shared childhood and yo
Coco.V
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (12/20/2018)!💝
Sanaa
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2017
3.5 stars.

This was a seriously short yet steamy read. I would like to see some groveling though. There was practically none.
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whatever pain I’m battling, he soothes it .
Him, only him.

Oh, this bittersweet short story is the perfect fast, feel good read. What it lacks in word count, it makes up tenfold in emotion, and to say I enjoyed it severely misrepresents my affection for it.

The Proof Is The Way It Hurts is quick, sexy romance at its best. It's to the point, but doesn't shy away from the sparkling tension of Dylan and George. I can't explain it, really... It reads like the rewarding epilogue of a second chance; a
My Own Bookshelves
This story will touch your heart with the perfection of second chances given a breath of life. Sometimes as young men and women, we miss the opportunities to seize real change and follow it. Part of growing up is making those mistakes and learning from it.

George is one who has made a mistake and doesn't let life get in the way of making up for it. What started as a bedtime story has bloomed into a perfect short story read about finding your happily ever after when the time is right.

Take a chan
Darlene Avery
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Proof Is The Way It Hurts by E. S. Carter is testament that even in a novella, Carter has the ability to pull every emotion out of your being.

Dylan and George will hold you completely captivated in their struggles to overcome not only past hurts, but pain that can not only be seen but felt.

Carter once again proved to me that she is willing to reach out and surprise her readers. She's not afraid to let her words be raw, and doesn't hesitate to hold back any punches.

A definite 5 Star must rea
Shannon
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

I really would have loved more to George and Dylan's story! This would have been a great full length novel- getting to see them as high school boys falling in love, the fallout from George leaving and his time in the service, and then their reunion. But this was a sweet read as it was- just enough of a look into the past to get a feel for what they went through, and then seeing them get their second chance at love.

***Borrowed through KU.
Leyna
Nov 11, 2017 marked it as i-own-you-so-wait-patiently  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Free on Amazon 11/11/2017
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
This is a really lovely second chance M/M romance. A quick, easy read that is not short on emotion, heat, or romance.

"I thought life had taken everything from me.
My family.
My friends.
My comrades.
My arm.
The man I was born to love.
But it didn't.
Life takes, but it's up to you to get it back."

Full review:

Angelika
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2017
4 ★

#contemporary #MM #single-pov #military #friends-to-lovers

My favorite quote:
-quote_mark Life takes, but it’s up to you to get it back.
❤ Dylan Davis & George Milford
➤ Abergavenny
Amneris Cesare
Too short of a novella and unfortunately, but due exactly to this shortness, a non correctly developed story and not truly designed characters. Too much is lacking. But that's a shame because this book had potential. Hope the writer will write more on this.
Dawn Higgins
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short MM love story but i freaking loved it, and the chemistry between this couple was HOT!! Off the charts sexy and smoking PHEW!!!.
Tim Trent
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, there was sex. There was a certain level of romance. No character depth. Reminds me of Brokeback Mountain, two blokes rutting. It scraped my third star. There was far more available to the author, but she disregarded it

A female view of Male/Male romance, I'm afraid
Leigh Lennon
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story but it was more of a novela and I would have loved to have the whole story of these two hot men.
Pamela Lilley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet second chance M/M novella set in a small Welsh town where everyone knows everyone's business, where prejudice runs high and two young boys fall in love. Chased out of town by his homophobic father as a teenager, George leaves Dylan and enlists in the army. Two years later he returns for what’s his, and he isn't leaving without him. I loved this novella, I loved George and Dylan, and ESCarter’s writing was spot on as usual. A wonderful surprise release.

Steph ☀️
Prologue: He is injured.

Chapter 1: We find out George survives a road side bombing with his only loss is his arm. Not once does he have any repercussions from the accident; meaning no PTSD or anything of the sort. George doesn't even seem to have any prosthetic problems. In fact we don't know how much of a prosthetic he has nor whether it is his right or left arm. However, George is back in town to get Dylan, his ex back. He spots his ex at a table with another man and goes up to him.

Chapter 2
Leslie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet but overly simple.

Yah.... no. Life just doesn't work that way. No way does someone who walked out of your life two years ago return suddenly, missing a limb, and you just take him back like nothing happened. There would be anger, grief, resentment, a little PTSD, explanations to be made, some catching up to do…
Wendy LeGrand
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Home is wherever you go, so take me there. Where you go, I go." Ahhh George and Dylan grabbed my heart and didn't let go!

I loved reading about these two wonderful men in the Bedtime Story feature on the Facebook KU Corner page. For three nights we got little snippets of George and Dylan and I was very excited to learn their story would be expanded and turned into a novella.

I hadn't read a M/M story by Eli prior to the Bedtime Story and I have to say I am very impressed with her writing. She go
Sheila'S Book Corner

"I thought life had taken everything from me.
My family.
My friends.
My comrades.
My arm.
The man I was born to love.
But it didn't.
Life takes, but it's up to you to get it back."

After his tour in the military, George returns to his hometown a changed man, unsure of his reception. There is only one person's opinion he cares about and there is only one person's forgiveness and a
Tasha Williams (Red's Midnight Readers)
::..Reviewed for Red's Midnight Readers..::

This isn't the sort of trope I would normally pick but I was looking for something to read and have heard nothing but rave reviews about The Proof Is The Way It Hurts, so I decided to give it a read.

I was NOT disappointed in the slightest. E.S Carter gave me all the feels in this second chance love story about two people reconnecting after separating in difficult circumstances two years previous. George is back to claim the man he loves.

This is a short,
Erika
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy when I saw that Eli was planning to release a new M/M romance. I hadn't read the first version so all was new to me. And I liked it. It was short so I read it fast and I think that was my only problem with the book. I wanted more, it was too fast and because of that I had the feeling some details didn't get the attention they should have get. But, it's a novella, that's why it's so short, not surprising. (I'm not a fan of novella, that's why.)

Anyway, even if I wanted something lon
Delilah Frost
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super quick read - with a teaser for another book following it up.

I really liked it. I was so heartbroken for George and what he was going through and how he didn't know to trust the love of his life because of his own actions. And Dylan was so sweet given how things were left with him.

My only complaint is needing more. More of a possible run-in with the father. More of a reaction between Dylan and Jim. More of just Dylan and George together.

A very sweet (and quick) read.
Nagisa Furukawa
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-owned
So, I can't honestly see why it's received so many 4-5 star reviews, but it's none of my business. Respect people.

But my idea:
In the summary it says "can Dylan forgive George?"
Well, chapter 1, page 1, Dylan is all over George & they're ready to leave that town & go live somewhere happily ever after. Oh, & page 2, they have awesome hot sex.
So, not satisfying for me.
Do not suggest it to anyone.
Lucrecia
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The Proof Is The Way It Hurts

Short story. Very straightforward short, second chance story at that.
Not room for romance or anything else really. Just directly to the main point: don't want to keep on living without one another.
It was lovely in its own way...

I'll keep reading 📖
Julian White
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sbn - reading on Kobo

A short story, with an extended extract of a novel.

The title story is interesting but slightly inconsistent - the reunion in the pub ends badly but all is forgiven the next morning... The abusive father is too much of a cipher. However the writing isn't bad - and it's an intriguing premise.
Cathy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sexy little novella is an extension of the Bedtime Story episodes in KU Corner, and I was exited to see more of George and Dylan.

Its a second chance M/M romance, after clashing with his bigoted father George skipped town leaving Dylan behind and is now back to see whether he can fix his mistake.

This is steaming hot and beautifully written, just wish it was a bit longer haha!
United By Romance: The Proof Is The Way It Hurts 1 2 Sep 22, 2018 05:56PM

• One Night In Reno
  • Accepting the Fall
  • Hot and Dangerous (Decorah Security #6)
  • Blessing and Light
  • A Marine and a Gentleman (Always a Marine, #9)
  • The Truth About Forever
  • Santa Wore Combat Boots
  • What We Deserve
  • The Only Guy (The Guy, #2)
  • Jumping In (ALPHAS #6)
  • Obsessed #1
  • Perfect Timing
  • Where I Am Now
  • Sweetboy
  • Omega: Found By The Alpha King
  • The Country Omega (The Downing Cycle, #1)
  • Fighting Dirty Too (Fighting Dirty, #2)
  • The Alpha's Mate (Red Moon Mates, #1)

USA Today Bestselling Author, ES Carter, lives in Cardiff, South Wales. The home of castles, dragons and folklore.
Her family joke that she was born with a book in her hand, and the urge to write stories soon followed.
At eleven, she won her school's literary prize. At ages fourteen to sixteen - her poetry phase after falling in love with Dylan Thomas and e.e. cummings - she had a few poems publish