Jump to ratings and reviews

The TCL Programming Language: A Comprehensive Guide

The Tcl Programming Language is a comprehensive guide to the current version (8.6) of this immensely flexible and versatile language. Starting with the basic features, it expands its scope to include the more advanced concepts, facilities and programming idioms from which the language derives its power.

Begin with the basics of Tcl syntax and commands for operating on data.
Get acquainted with the flexible and uniform execution model that enables metaprogramming, custom control structures etc.
Learn to modularize your code with namespaces, object-oriented design and packages.
See how intrinsic support for Unicode and encodings makes it a breeze to localize your applications.
Become conversant with the integrated event loop and how it facilitates efficient asynchronous I/O models and the reactive style of programming.
Delve into Tcl's sophisticated I/O framework and write your own reflected channels, transforms and virtual file systems.
Understand the built-in facilities for inter-process communication using pipes or the network.
See how concurrent programming facilities like coroutines and threads can simplify your code and make it more performant.
Learn how to secure your application through the use of safe interpreters for sandboxing.
Interact with databases through the Tcl Database Connectivity interface.
Discover how software distribution and installation headaches are eliminated with starkits and single file deployment.
The breadth of coverage and numerous examples will familiarize newcomers to every aspect of Tcl programming. At the same time, the depth and level of detail, and an exhaustive index, make The Tcl Programming Language a valuable reference in every Tcl programmer's library.

670 pages, Paperback

Published July 18, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (75%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 (25%)
1 star
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Peter Aronson.
354 reviews11 followers
January 5, 2020
Four and three-quarters stars rounded up to five (and it would probably be five if I was more likely to actually use Tcl in my job). This is a big, thick, square book. I started reading it in preparation for a SQLite class that recommended "some knowledge of Tcl". For that purpose it was massive overkill. Like dropping a nuke on a single bunny level of overkill.

I had read maybe a fourth of this book by the time the class came around. I have now read all of it, from cover-to-cover. Why did I do that? Not because I expect to use Tcl professionally -- because I don't (although, life is uncertain). No, I kept reading because I found myself enjoying reading about Tcl's features and the way this book laid them out. Once you got past the basic syntax, it was almost like a an applied computer science refresher course, with Tcl as the source of examples. Concepts including: call stacks, lists, exceptions, namespaces, file systems, metaprogramming, coroutines, multithreading, code packaging, object systems, tracing, event-driven programming, asynchronous I/O, unit testing and more. It was all rather surprisingly enjoyable. And if I ever do find a need to be programming in Tcl, you can be sure this book will be on my desk the first month, and in the nearby bookcase thereafter.

1 review88 followers
February 10, 2021
the most recent book that deals with TCL as a scripting language not a GUI build also with very good price
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.