Start by marking “Shards - A Story of The Realm” as Want to Read:
Shards - A Story of The Realm

Shards - A Story of The Realm

They say the Malar Dorah is unbreakable.

For five centuries, the Realm’s mightiest fortress has stood unconquered. Now it is the final bastion of a retreating northern army, and the culmination of the long-raging Diamond Wars. The warlord Belerod stands at the Dorah's doorstep with a southern horde at his back, set on testing the meaning of unbreakable with his war-golems.

Published July 25th 2017 by BenGalley.com

To ask other readers questions about Shards - A Story of The Realm, please sign up.
Ben Galley It was up for the week before the release, and I'm pleased to say that as of today it's available to download!

Start your review of Shards - A Story of The Realm
Kristen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog.

Oh Task. I missed you, you giant stony pile of fun!

This is a story that takes place in Task’s early life, while he is still with his creator and his brothers and sisters. They are more or less chasing an army into a fortress that is rather famous for never having been forcefully taken, but the army retreating there has a magic user to break in.

Well, the army chasing them has a bunch of golems to throw at it, so there!

This story is short enough that I read it in
Wol
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely short story prequel. I wouldn't recommend reading it first, but it's a great companion piece to Heart of Stone. Quality audiobook too.
Ike
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
True must read for fans of Task, the wind-cut, stone golem featured in Ben Galley’s 'The Heart of Stone.' In Heart, Task shares hints of his participation in wars of old, but never really explains to what extent and at what costs in his formation as a fighting machine. Shards, a short story fills in a gap in Task’s life providing readers a unique view of life with his brothers and sister as well as some great battle scenes and the storming of an impregnable fortress. The evil wizard, Casimo is ...more
FanFiAddict
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you needed an introduction to the author that is Ben Galley, look no further than this prequel to his standalone novel, The Heart of Stone.

I first came across Galley in the 'Long Wolf Anthology', put out by Undaunted Publishing earlier this year. His short story, The Iron Keys, captured me and I put him on my list of soon-to-be household names. Shards continued that sentiment and pushed THoS up quite a bit on my TBR. Obviously not having read THoS, I'm glad Galley gave me an introduction to
Lynn K : Grimmedian
This was a short story begging to be told. In The Heart of Stone, Ben Galley introduces us to Task, a Wind-cut golem. He’s been fighting in the wars of mankind for over 400 years. In Shards, the author takes us back centuries to the Diamond Wars, when Task was “young” and his brethren were many. Excellent!
Shawn
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. Ben Galley seems to have the ability to bring characters to life with very little effort, and that allows them to take over the story to where I didn't really feel like I was reading it at times but watching the scenes play out in my head of their own accord.

Task is our main character here, a golem constructed by a sorcerer to lead his army in an ongoing war. Task has many siblings, all very different (rock material, size, shape), and all clearly described and fun to
Andy
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun short story in the same world as Heart of Stone. We learn more about Task’s past and get to see him interacting with other golems as they storm a fortress and chase down a wizard. Task remains an intriguing character and one I’m anxious to read more of.
T.L. Branson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

This review is spoiler free.

Story Summary

Shards follows the main character of the Heart of Stone novel, Task. Task is a golem. That alone caught my interest. Sure, I’ve read about golems, but I’ve never read a book with a golem as the main character. I will start by saying that I have not yet read the Heart of Stone novel, so my first introduction to Task is here in the short story.

It’s a relatively common story thread. Group attacks fortress and seeks out the guy
Nikolai Tsekov
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short story from the memories of Task- it's a book that you can't possibly understand without reading The Heart of Stone first. I loved it, while we knew of the golems role in the history, it was nice to read more of times when there were more Windcuts. Instant 5 star for anyone that liked the main story of Task.
Pat
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope there are more books featuring Task - I have got quite fond of him! Shards is a short tale about Task set in the time prior to Heart of Stone. I really would like more of this....Sometimes you come across a book that hits all the right places for you and then are disappointed when further books by the same author aren't working for you. Well I'm lucky enough to have found another great author to go on my 'Must Read ' authors list. Task is a golem, something I had to look up in a ...more
Daniel Kelly
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shards

I hadn't known about this until recently after reading a heart of stone a few years ago I was pleasantly surprised to find out there was more to read in this world but now I am left with questions about the prophesy and hoping Ben adds another book to this where task goes looking for the wizards and fulfils the prophesy
Mary
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Loved this short story that gave more of Task's past. It introduces other golems as well. I'd love to read more about the culture and how golems are made.
paul shepherd
Jan 15, 2018

• The City Screams
  • The Lore of Prometheus
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Paternus: Rise of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • Paternus: Deluge, A Short Story
  • The Lion of Wales: The Complete Series Books 1-5
  • Paternus: Wrath of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #2)
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • Frostborn Omnibus One (Frostborn, #1-4)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Ghosts of Tomorrow
  • Wheel-Mouse vs All The Crazy Robots
  • A Different Time
  • Emergency Skin
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange