Start by marking “First World Problems” as Want to Read:
First World Problems

First World Problems

This contemporary take on Flaubert's Emma and Charles Bovary quickly becomes a satire of suburban American life in the immediate pre-Trump years.

Emma Bovant has lost her job but struggles to keep up appearances even though her family can't match the pampered lifestyle of her friends from "the Estates." Her dissatisfaction with her position in society, like Emma Bovary's, i
Published September 1st 2017 by Real Nice Books

To ask other readers questions about First World Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First World Problems

Sheri
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First World Problems by Rea Keech

Emma lost her job, her husband Charles does not making as much as Emma feels he could. It is a struggle for the two of them to live up to their middle class expectations. Charles is offered a job as a "life coach", to Emma's dismay, which takes him out of town. Left with their young son, and their eccentric friend Andre for companionship.

Emma is not happy, life is not going how she planned. Then she discovers a conspiracy among some real estate developers to try
Brandi
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this selection from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a nice fresh take on a classic. I felt all the things that Emma was going through - the frustration, anger, exasperation, and finally, fulfillment. I loved and hated the characters that played a part and this is a sign of a well-written piece.
Mostafa Rahbar
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Total Change of Scene
Prepare for a big shift in time and scene from Keechʼs previous novel. This one is set in contemporary America. Yet the witty humor, vivid characters, and clever plot show it is the same author. Actually, the two main characters from A Hundred Veils make a cameo appearance in this one. They are older and living in an American suburb, and we finally get an answer to the question: what happened to Marco and Mastaneh?

First World Problems is about Emma, at first despondent abo
Linda Hanna
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book caught my eye and after the first page, my interest. Emma and Charles struggle to move ahead in their world. Do they create more problems than they solve, how much does this help their friends, family, and community? Love, loss, politics, religion, desire all fuel the good and bad experiences as everyone tries to find their way.
As Charles strives to move upward, Emma loses herself in defining what is enough as she becomes intertwined with the complicated personalities and
Tiffany
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I read book 2 in this series first and then read book one. How the characters are all connected makes a lot more sense to me now. I like the story line and the different characters in the books. I'm looking forward to Book 3 coming out.
Barby Stely
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's captivating and makes you hungry for more. Like u can't stop u just have to continue reading to find out where the book is taking u
Mike Malloy
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"First World Problems" is an entertaining exploration of modern manners and morals with a well paced plot and a humorous touch!
Jane
Oct 22, 2017
Barbara
Feb 05, 2018
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Brilliantly written, with an elegance evocative of literary classics. An updated tale for the modern age, this book explores the pressures to fit in and try to put up a better front, to act like you are of higher social strata than you actually are. When the media and those surrounding you are pushing you to put on airs, when do you realize enough is enough and come back down to bald-faced reality?
Rachaelmoo
Ireon Williams
Kathy Heare Watts
Wendy
Aug 02, 2017
NetGalley Readers: This topic has been closed to new comments. ARC of First World Problems available 1 23 Jul 03, 2017 12:36PM
I love literary fiction and humor. Lately I've been reading books set in Iran and other countries outside of the U.S. I taught English and World Literature at a community college for many years. My doctorate is in Comparative Literature.