Start by marking “First World Problems” as Want to Read:
First World Problems

First World Problems

This contemporary take on Flaubert's Emma and Charles Bovary quickly becomes a satire of suburban American life in the immediate pre-Trump years.

Emma Bovant has lost her job but struggles to keep up appearances even though her family can't match the pampered lifestyle of her friends from "the Estates." Her dissatisfaction with her position in society, like Emma Bovary's, i
Published September 1st 2017 by Real Nice Books

To ask other readers questions about First World Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First World Problems

Start your review of First World Problems
Sheri
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First World Problems by Rea Keech

Emma lost her job, her husband Charles does not making as much as Emma feels he could. It is a struggle for the two of them to live up to their middle class expectations. Charles is offered a job as a "life coach", to Emma's dismay, which takes him out of town. Left with their young son, and their eccentric friend Andre for companionship.

Emma is not happy, life is not going how she planned. Then she discovers a conspiracy among some real estate developers to try
Brandi
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this selection from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a nice fresh take on a classic. I felt all the things that Emma was going through - the frustration, anger, exasperation, and finally, fulfillment. I loved and hated the characters that played a part and this is a sign of a well-written piece.
Mostafa Rahbar
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Total Change of Scene
Prepare for a big shift in time and scene from Keechʼs previous novel. This one is set in contemporary America. Yet the witty humor, vivid characters, and clever plot show it is the same author. Actually, the two main characters from A Hundred Veils make a cameo appearance in this one. They are older and living in an American suburb, and we finally get an answer to the question: what happened to Marco and Mastaneh?

First World Problems is about Emma, at first despondent abo
Ann
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Linda Hanna
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book caught my eye and after the first page, my interest. Emma and Charles struggle to move ahead in their world. Do they create more problems than they solve, how much does this help their friends, family, and community? Love, loss, politics, religion, desire all fuel the good and bad experiences as everyone tries to find their way.
As Charles strives to move upward, Emma loses herself in defining what is enough as she becomes intertwined with the complicated personalities and
Susan
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma, the hero of this tale, discovers a plot by real estate developers to purchase through fraudulent means the properties of several people in order to advance their interests. Her husband Charles and friend Andre are too naive to be of much assistance. This book also examines issues of immigration and what it means to be gay in this country. I enjoyed this book because of the timeliness of the issues dealt with.
Tiffany
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I read book 2 in this series first and then read book one. How the characters are all connected makes a lot more sense to me now. I like the story line and the different characters in the books. I'm looking forward to Book 3 coming out.
Barby Stely
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's captivating and makes you hungry for more. Like u can't stop u just have to continue reading to find out where the book is taking u
Mike
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"First World Problems" is an entertaining exploration of modern manners and morals with a well paced plot and a humorous touch!
Barbara Munjal
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Enjoyed the characters especially Emma.
Emily
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“First World Problems” revolves around Bovants – Charles, Emma and their son Todd..
Charles and Emma define themselves as a middle-class family. However, with Emma losing her job from Envirotech and Charles isn’t earning enough working as a social worker, a Psycho-Social Interventionalist, Emma has to work diligently on the family budget, as well as getting a job soon.

During her course of job searching, Emma happens to be acquainted with Shady Park’s wealthy realtor Bea and Pastor Mitchell Rainey
Cynthia
Feb 05, 2018
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Brilliantly written, with an elegance evocative of literary classics. An updated tale for the modern age, this book explores the pressures to fit in and try to put up a better front, to act like you are of higher social strata than you actually are. When the media and those surrounding you are pushing you to put on airs, when do you realize enough is enough and come back down to bald-faced reality?
Rachaelmoo
Debee Sue
Sarah Taylor-Cruz
Brittany
Aug 01, 2017
NetGalley Readers: This topic has been closed to new comments. ARC of First World Problems available 1 25 Jul 03, 2017 12:36PM

• The Other Mrs.
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • The Holdout
  • The Drop (Harry Bosch, #15; Harry Bosch Universe, #23)
  • Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump
  • Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1)
  • Hour Game (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #2)
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • #SAD!: Doonesbury in the Time of Trump
  • The Woods
  • Tuesdays with Ted
  • Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
I love literary fiction and humor. Lately I've been reading books set in Iran and other countries outside of the U.S. I taught English and World Literature at a community college for many years. My doctorate is in Comparative Literature.