Start by marking “Notes from My Captivity” as Want to Read:
Notes from My Captivity

Notes from My Captivity

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  518 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great college; becoming a revered journalist like her idol, Sydney Declay; and making her late father proud of her.

So when Adrienne is offered the chance to write an article that will get her into her dream school and debunk her foolish stepfather's belief that a legendary family of hermits is living in the Siberian
Published July 10th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

It's mixed feelings time, y'all! Some parts of this book were kind of awesome. I mean, Siberia? Sign me up! I love survival stories in general, and in that respect this book delivered for sure. But then some things really threw me off, too. So let's discuss them all, shall we?

The Things I Liked:

Adrienne really grows a lot during the book. She starts off kind of bratty, honestly. And
3.5/5 stars

Notes from My Captivity is a standalone Young Adult novel.

The book is divided into three parts. The narrator is Adrienne (1st person POV). The story starts in Colorado. Adrienne is planning to go to the Siberian wilderness with her step-father Dan.

Adrienne is 17 years old and wants to be a reporter. Dan has been studying a family (the Osinovs) who supposedly live in Siberia. But most people do not believe that they exist. Adrienne has been allowed to tag along on the adventure.

I found
may ☆彡
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars.

This was a surprisingly good book! I was actually really excited to read this because of the interesting premise until I saw a bunch of bad and not-so-great reviews from gr friends :( but I’m glad that I did read it.
Kayla
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely fantastic. It was such a confusing yet beautiful story that reminded me a tiny bit of Stolen by Lucy Christopher and you all know how much I love that book!
I can admit thought, this book is very flawed but yet it's so incredibly good.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
Adrienne thought this would be a summer to remember. She planned on writing THE article, which would be her ticket to college, but when their trip takes a tragic turn, Adrienne just hopes to get out alive.

• Pro: It was amazing to see the changes Adrienne experienced during this story. I really liked the way Park slowly peeled back her layers to let us actually see what was at the root of Adrienne's pain. I also thought she was quite funny, and her commentary during the first part of the book was
Rachael  Fryman
Read Harder 2018 Challenge #5: A book set in or about one of the BRICS countries

Advanced E-Galley provided by the publisher for review

What does it remind me of? A little bit of Stolen by Lucy Christopher

What is it about? A girl determined to write an article exposing her step-father's theory of a long lost family of Siberia to be myth, heads out with her step-father and his team to locate evidence of the Osinov family. Many twists unfold after people start dying soon into their trek.

What did
Kelly
Adrienne wants to be a reporter, and she thinks the best way to secure her entry into the college of her dreams is to pursue the story that's haunted her stepfather: that of the Osinov family, who left their home in Moscow and moved to a remote area of Siberia. Her stepfather believes they exist, and he's written fervently about it. Adrienne is skeptical -- in part because one of her favorite reporters penned a scathing takedown of her stepdad's work. She is convinced that, on this trip, she'll ...more
Christa
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Adrienne is going on a trip with her stepfather Dan to Siberia. That’s where the Osinovs, a family of urban legend, is believed to be. Dan believes it wholeheartedly, Adrienne is a sceptic. They set off with their guides through the wilderness of Siberia. The plot is spoiled in the synopsis, they are real instead of urban legend.

This book is split into parts, and each part feels different. The first is an adventure story, the second is survival horror, the third is magical realism. It was a lit
Neelam Babul
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful story of hope, love, survival, forgiveness and the force of nature. Adrienne is seventeen aspiring to be a journalist. Her stepfather is obsessed with the Osinovs, a family in Siberia that he believes survives in the wilderness away from the modern world. Although everyone including Adrienne herself dismiss his views as fiction, her step father decides to embark on an expedition to once and for all prove his theories.

Once on the trail to Siberia, Adrienne embarks on an adventure that
 Amelia
This was a really interesting and different book. Considering I've read 2 survival stories in a row, I'm gonna compare them. This one was definitely lighter (even though there were lots of tragedies and deaths), the atmosphere was still a bit less depressing than in I Am Still Alive. I especially liked the whole "surviving in Siberia" part. It was fascinating. The first part of the book is slightly boring because they are just preparing for the trip and going to the airport and stuff, but the mo ...more
Asia
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting but I quite liked it. Some mystery, drama, survival, love and a bit of magic, all in one book. The only thing I really didn't like was the main character in the beginning, but later on she grew up quite a lot (still made mistakes and acted stupid sometimes but who doesn't?). I kind of was hoping for a different ending but I think the one that we got fits the story quite well.
Amber
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a bit, and while the first 60% is a solid 3 stars, the last 40% really picked up and made me bump it up to 4 stars. My biggest gripe with this book is the constant references to instagram and tumblr. I understand that the main character is a 17 year old girl, but it really dates the book, and makes me cringe. I can't remember the exact line and don't have the book in front of me anymore but at one point Adrienne makes a statement that one of the guys would be instagram worthy ...more
Chelsea
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually love YA, but this one was so good! I actually had to stay up late to finish this one, because I had to know what happened! I only knew that the main character went on a trip and things went badly, but I didn't read the flap before I started the book -and I'm so glad! This book totally surprised me, and I loved it! And, it wasn't just the fun adventure, it was also about forgiveness, and healing, and I was so touched by the ending. It was really beautiful, despite the horrible thi ...more
Patricia Mainard
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was quite impressed by this book. Captivated my heart and mind from start to finish. Absolutely recommend.
KimberlyRose
What a fascinating, heart-rending, human condition story. It isn't a close-and-forget book (although those can be delicious, yes!); rather, it's a can't-stop-thinking-about book. I have such compassion for the YA lead. Her voice is honest, and there's an enormous, moving maturation of her character. All the secondaries are strong, no matter how small their part. I'm not satisfied with the ending--it's acceptable, believable, but I want more.

Extra: The magic realism touch was light and
Caroline
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the best books I've read in 2018! I loved Adrienne's character; her inner dialogue was so downright funny and snarky that at times I would laugh out loud. It really reminded me of myself. The mystery behind the Osinov family kept me on the edge of my seat, but I also fell for this family and was really upset to see how things ended.
Overall, this was a story about strength and forgiveness, and also a look into the things we take for granted in life. Highly recommended!
Kristy
I loved this so much more than I thought I would! It's truly a wild ride... You start out thinking it is one kind of story and then it takes two different sharp turns. In the end, I loved the experience and was very moved.

Louisa
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome! I loved reading about this aspiring journalist and being held captive by a family she didn't think was hiding out in the wilderness! Such a great book!
Kristy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read that I was not expecting. I loved it.
Maxerica4dawin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Notes From My Captivity was a truly magnificent book that left me speechless. Without a doubt a top 10 book of 2018 highly possible, that I might even say it's up there in the top 5. This book was so so good, I was not expecting it. I started this book thinking it would just be another book that I would read and then carry on telling people how much I liked it, but this is a book that I will force people to read, willingly or not, because they will love it. At the end of this I was sobbing so ha ...more
Linda Hutchinson
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This YA book is Excellent...really good. I thought I would breeze through this story since it is basically an easy read, but I found myself slowing down to savor the author’s words which create a beautiful tale about the power of love, forgiveness, sacrifice, and loss. A 17-year old girl goes on an adventure with her stepfather to locate a Russian family living off the grid in Siberia. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but this novel is a truly a harrowing tale of survival and the inher ...more
Kennedy Vega
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG. This book destroyed me! That end page? GAH! I wanted to bawl my eyes out. Normally, I HATE survival stories, movies etc. But Notes from My Captivity was SO good. I finished in less than two hours. The main character Adrienne was absolutely hilarious, her narration really balanced the doom and gloom and humanized the mysterious family. The first thing that came to mind when I read this book was Buzzed Unsolved. It has that similar mix of humor & mystery, and I definitely think that this ...more
Eileen (BookCatPin)
I have some conflicting feelings about Notes from My Captivity. On one hand it was an immersive read that made me care but on the other I felt like the story didn't give me much. It's a rather unconventional tale of facing some hard truths in life.

Notes from My Captivity was something different. There's a nice slow build up into the main storyline and once we really got into the meat of the story I was taken in. I wanted to know. Alongside the main character(s) I needed to debunk the myth. I did
Andria Sedig
I was really enjoying this book when it was a rugged, outdoor adventure book that featured a kidnapping mysterious family. And then it got weird and a magical element was added in that I just wasn't personally wanting in this story. It was overall a really enjoyable read and definitely something different from a lot of YA that is currently releasing so I would still definitely recommend checking this one out.
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)

I wanted to love this one, but the main character often sounded like what an adult thinks teens sounds like, making it a bit hard to connect with her. I also felt the development of the characters was a bit flat.

Sad that this was such a unique premise (survival story in Siberia and the hunt for a wilderness family?!) that kind of fell flat for me.
Kassie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Many thoughts but mostly....what?
Maisie  Iven
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was odd and stressful and lovely. I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down.
Lindsay
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
A powerful story filled with family, hope, love, survival, forgiveness, and the harsh elements of nature. Thank you Edelweiss for the ARC.
Laura Douglas
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It’s amazing. Love love love it.

I love the dark humor, the sass, the families, terror, and everything. It’s about survival, but not just wilderness survival. It’s about what we do, why we do it, and how we live through it.

Read this book.
Jo Ann Mulligan
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hi, I’m Kathy Parks, author of The Lifeboat Clique. (Katherine Tegen Books, March 1 2016)

It’s about Denver Reynolds, an outcast at her high school, who ends up in a lifeboat with the popular kids who hate her.

It’s Mean Girls meets Life of Pi!

I live near the beach in Carpinteria, California with my husband and two cats.

I love questions and meeting other authors.

Hope you’ll check out The Lifeboat Cl
“Everywhere in the world, magic works and doesn't work and no one's ever figured out how to make it more consistent, not with technology or potions or prayers.” 0 likes