Start by marking “Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff” as Want to Read:
Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff

Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff

You don't have to live overwhelmed by stuff--you can get rid of clutter for good!

While the world seems to be in love with the idea of tiny houses and minimalism, many of us simply can't purge it all and start from nothing. Yet a home with too much stuff is a home that is difficult to maintain, so where do we begin? Add in paralyzing emotional attachments and constant life
Published February 27th 2018 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Decluttering at the Speed of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decluttering at the Speed of Life

Alexia Purdy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking to declutter, get rid of stuff, people wanting better organizational skills
This book was a lot more than I thought it would be and simply amazing. It did not only give you tricks and hacks on how to declutter your space, it helps you change your mindset on how you think about clutter and stuff. The psychology behind it makes sense and was a lot more helpful than just giving out tricks of the decluttering. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend this book for anyone struggling to come up for air from beneath their mountains of stuff.
Wanda
This was exactly what I needed this week--an inspirational book to spur me to get a few things done around the house. I took a week off to do things like tackle my laundry mountain, tame the paper piles, do some pre-emptive cooking, and generally clean & reorganize some of the corners of my home that have been driving me crazy.

Generally speaking, I find White’s advice to be very practical. Start with the easy stuff--take out the garbage, do the recycling, move as many of the things as you ca
Kathleen
DECLUTTERING AT THE SPEED OF LIFE: WINNING YOUR NEVER-ENDING BATTLE WITH STUFF by Dana K. White is an inspiring humorous book for anyone wanting to get rid of clutter. Dana distinguishes between cleaning and decluttering and has clearly identified the simple steps needed to succeed at decluttering, whether it is a closet, room, garage or a whole house filled from floor to ceiling.

The "5-minute tidy up" rule is one that I learned from my mother and practise daily.

This book is very timely with "s
Margie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This paperback caught my eye at Costco a few weeks ago because I thought the title was "Decluttering at the Speed of Light." Who wouldn't want to do that! I enthusiastically purchased it and went home with high hopes. I was a little less enthusiastic when I realized that the title was a more realistic one, "Decluttering at the Speed of Life." But that works too!

This book hooked me with its opening sentences:

"Hello. My name is Dana, and I am a Decluttering Expert. That sentence makes me laugh. An
Jami Balmet
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another terrific book by Dana!! If you need to delcutter (which you probably do), this is an excellent start guide! I listened to the audiobook which is read by Dana herself and it was perfect!
Joanna Loves Reading
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, non-hr, reviewed
It took me a long time to get through this book, but it wasn’t due to the quality or lack of interest in the subject. The truth is I needed this book, but I wasn’t quite ready for it. I requested and received an ARC from NetGalley for this, and when I knew I couldn’t finish in a normal amount of time, I decided to just read in a way that was useful to me.

I enjoyed reading the author’s stories on her own struggles with clutter. It was cathartic. The approach was a non-emotional method of coming
Irene
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right now we have five large boxes in the car to be donated to our local thrift store. Last week we took three boxes. This is after reading Dana White's book, DECLUTTERING AT THE SPEED OF LIFE. With wry humor and down to earth common sense, the book was the kick in the "you know what" that finally got the ball rolling in our house.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Stacia
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, north-america
I read decluttering books as brain candy.

I think White is a good motivator for the truly clutter-bound. She was once there herself & it took her years of trial & error & living in extreme clutter to finally figure out how to declutter. She's both realistic & funny. Her opinions & manner of delivery are, for the most part, ones that would appeal to those approaching hoarding levels, reducing defensiveness on the part of her intended audience.

While she advocates decluttering
Amy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the best book on decluttering that I have ever read. Not to mention, she's funny so it makes the subject matter that much more entertaining.

This author gets it. She's a mom. She has family and a busy life and other obligations. She doesn't have 2 weeks to dedicate to doing nothing but decluttering the entire house. You do what you can with the time you have, and as long as you are getting stuff out of your house, you are making progress.

I love her concept of determining your clutt
Sophia
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the last few years, I've been on a mission that I call 'Simplify'. This generic term covers all aspects of my life, but one of the primary ways has been a decluttering of my living space. I came across this title in my Prime Free reading options this month and I thought I'd see if there was more I could be doing or do it more efficiently in my ongoing pursuit of simplication through decluttering.

I really enjoyed the author's approach to the subject matter. She approaches this as a mental sta
Dianna
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is about decluttering. Not cleaning (like scrubbing the bathroom), but getting rid of stuff. Author Dana White dug out of her house of clutter, and she teaches us to do the same. Her systems and questions can help anyone, whether you just have one embarrassing room or whether your house is floor to ceiling with excess stuff.

The book gets a little repetitive as the same basic instructions are repeated for each room of the house, but there are some really valuable chapters on helping oth
Laura Reading
Who hasn't read a book on decluttering? And organizing, feng shui, how to clean everything, etc. From the Sidetracked Home Executives to Peter Walsh's psychological approach to the Queen of Clean, everywhere you turn someone has advice for you. I have read them all, and had some short term success. The difference with Dana is she gets it! She knows how I think. She understands how a person can see future potential in any object.
"Future potential" That is the key and she address the mindset as
Critterbee❇
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A solid effort, addressing the mindset behind hoarding, pack-ratting, over storing (however you prefer to refer to it).

This is not so much about finding and keeping things that 'spark joy' and more about fixing the behavior patterns behind accumulating and keeping.

Written humorously and well, and helpful for people wanting to get control of their space.

Recommended.

*eARC Netgalley*
Lani
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not an Organization book. This is a no BS book. Dana White is really honest and adds no sugar coating to her advice. She makes it look easy by not being perfect. If you can only declutter for 5 minutes, great. It will be a small improvement that will make a difference. Any progress is still progress. But if you want a big improvement, you have to do the work. It really is easier than you might think.

I gave this a 4 because I ended up actually cleaning my closet of all the 90's clothes/s
Alicia Bayer
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I read an ARC of this book through Net Galley, and while I did like it a lot, there are two reasons I didn't give it higher marks.

1. The price seems very high. I checked it out on Amazon and the print version is listed at $16.99, though it is currently at $13.76 (probably because other sellers are currently offering it cheaper, so Amazon is lowering the price until they sell or change their price). The Kindle version is $9.99 though, and that strikes me as an outrageous price for a black and whi
Chinook
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
So, this book made me cry. More than once. More than twice even.

Now, a lot of that is about being stressed and feeling a time crunch but it also really hit at some very clear issues that the author mentions that I share and I related to so much of what she talks about as the whys.

And I think for me, her method makes a lot of sense. Fill the container. Start with the easy and visible stuff. Every object doesn’t need to be defended to stay, it just has to fit the container without taking away fr
Dre
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will admit that books on home organization don't always appeal to me. I am not easily urged to sort through things based on emotion, or whatever new way folks are telling us we should clear space in our homes. But after reading more about author Dana K. White and her blog, I felt compelled to read this book. Her writing style and voice reads like an honest conversation I would have with friends, so I was curious to learn more about her methods.

Reading Decluttering At The Speed of Life was ref
Stephanie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this pretty hard. It’s nice getting advice from a recovering slob, since I am a slob myself. Her “formula” for decluttering acknowledges that you don’t always have a lot of time, interruptions happen, and it can be really discouraging when things initially look worse as you try to declutter. So her method focuses on making sure things start looking better immediately. (No dumping all your clothes in the middle of the floor. Sorry, Marie Kondo.)

Her order for tackling a space is to start i
Jeri
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
Don't just declutter your house, put it through a deslobification process! With spring coming on and knowing that spring cleaning will top most everyone's list it is always handy (and hopeful) to pick up a decluttering book to motivate, inspire and hopefully get you moving toward your goal of finally having a house that is neat, clean and orderly. Though this book will not come and do that for you, it will show you how to change your mindset and only ask 2 simple questions, then once those are a ...more
LibraryLaur
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was highly readable and it might just change my life. If I put into practice the simple (but not obvious) principles and practical steps that White provides, my home will be a much less cluttered and ultimately a much better place. I've already requested the author's first book (about housekeeping) from my library. I recommend this to anyone who's overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they've accumulated and who is ready to do something about it.

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for
Rosemary
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-library
Love this book.

I have also read "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning", which convinced me that I should sort out my stuff now instead of leaving it for someone else to do after I die. After reading that book, I had a look through my filing cabinet and threw out some old bills. That was about it.

Contrast that with this book. Halfway through and I'm already having conversations with my husband about getting rid of a dutch oven I received as a gift and never used, which is stored at the bottom
Nancy H
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I don't know how the author got into my house and my mind, but I feel like she wrote this just for me. Her thoughts speak to me and my personality, and I have already put into practice her steps to having a de-cluttered house. Mine looks better already. I like her invention of words like deslobification and others, because they so well describe the situation and the process. I am so glad I came across this book. I have already ordered copies for friends who think like I do, and ...more
Girl
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I received a free e-book copy of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Reading books about organizing is always so hopeful. Anytime I start one, I am just a few easy steps away from becoming a new, better, more organized person. And this is why I picked Decluttering at the Speed of Life out at NetGalley - it's New Year! Time to become a better me!

And then Dana K. White writes that hers is a book about decluttering, not organizing.

*record scratch*

And do you know what? It actu
Cassandra
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a product reviewer, I know all too well about clutter build up, but I am not a hoarder and this book is kind of a balance to helping in between that. Unfortunately I have had to move several times and have dealt first hand with house flooding or roof caving in so I do have the ability to give up stuff. I am also an active donator and will give the majority of what we can not use away. While my clutter is secondhand when I donate, I think it still helps people.

The book helps to find even mo
Sandra
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently in my near-Spring phase of decluttering and organization. Dana's book was a win-win on many fronts. She is humorous, gives solid, practical how-to's (step by step instructions), and encourages you with the end result of a more satisfying feeling of letting go of stuff.

Probably the best concept I got from Dana's book is the idea of looking at my house as a container as well as individual rooms, closets, and drawers as containers. Everything should fit nicely into the container. If
Gaby F.
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me move my clutter out of the house.
I really enjoyed reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana K. White. She has a wonderful sense of humor writing about the many decluttering dilemmas that she has faced in her own life and how she deals with them. Her container concept makes a lot of sense. After all, we only have a certain amount of space to keep our belongings. Like Dana I long for more open space in my house. When my husband and I moved into our house it was spacious
Donna
I actually decluttered my whole kitchen today while I listened to this book! *grin*

At first, the phrase repetition annoyed me but as the day and work progressed, I found myself repeating them along with her... hmmm...

Some of her points I had read or heard a variation of from other sources, but as I was looking to declutter, NOT clean (I get the whole "clean" thing) I found getting away from the "emotional" aspects of making my choices SO much easier than considering whether I loved something or
Dee/ bookworm
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-2018
#DeclutteringAtTheSpeedOfLife #NetGalley

You know, when I requested this book through NetGalley I thought it would be a fun read, I didn't expect it to impact my life. But this very personable, well written book made me want to get rid of so much stuff. After the first few chapters I had to put I down and start sorting through things to get rid of some. I think before the first 25% of the book was completely read, I had gotten rid of several bags of stuff and at least two large trash bags. I didn
Theresa
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, on-my-own
I don't know if it's that White and I have a lot in common or that she is just that good, but this book spoke to all of my messes and the reason for them. She cuts through the reasons/emotions/paralysis of getting rid of things and gives me confidence that I can get rid of my excess. My house isn't a disaster, but there is way too much stuff.

It also makes me think about the 'stuff' I buy my kids, the swag I pick up and other 'bargains'. It's easier now that the kids are older (not so many toys)
Erin
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful for me in beginning the process of living with less STUFF. I typically try to organize items instead of getting rid of them, but this book encouraged me to ask some really straightforward questions to myself about every item, and that has helped me to be able to let go of things that are useful but not used.

It is pretty repetitive, as the chapters are broken down mostly by room/area, and the same questions are asked in every chapter about where to put/whether to keep

• Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain  Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • The Get Yourself Organized Project: 21 Steps to Less Mess and Stress
  • New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • Design Mom: A Room-by-Room Guide to Living Well with Kids
  • Year of No Clutter
  • The Brain over Binge Recovery Guide: A Simple and Personalized Plan for Ending Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder
  • Breaking the Fear Cycle: How to Find Peace for Your Anxious Heart
  • Table Manners: How to Behave in the Modern World and Why Bother
  • Minimalism for Families: Practical Minimalist Living Strategies to Simplify Your Home and Life
  • Little House Living: The Make-Your-Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life
  • Listful Thinking: Using Lists to Be More Productive, Successful and Less Stressed
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
“Accept the limitations of the space you have, and declutter enough that your stuff fits comfortably in that space.” 5 likes
“Keep Boxes don’t work. They let me put off making a final decision. I can temporarily place a particularly difficult item inside, confident that the future version of me will know what to do with it. Future Me doesn’t deserve that much credit, and honestly, she doesn’t appreciate the pressure.” 1 likes