Start by marking “The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1)

The Red Scrolls of Magic

(The Eldest Curses #1)

From #1 New York Times bestseller Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu comes the first book in a new trilogy featuring the centuries-old High Warlock Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood after they survive the Mortal War.

Magnus Bane, a centuries old High Warlock, has taken possession of one of the great relics of the supernatural world, a powerful spell book of dark magic known as The
Published April 9th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Red Scrolls of Magic, please sign up.
Isaac Jones Most people say publication order, but that means stopping in the middle of a series to read a different one, so in my opinion, the best order is:
City…more
City of Bones (TMI #1)
City of Ashes (TMI #2)
City of Glass (TMI #3)
(If you want to read The Shadowhunter's Codex, the best place to do so would be here)
Clockwork Angel (TID #1)
Clockwork Prince (TID #2)
Clockwork Princess (TID #3)
City of Fallen Angels (TMI #4)
City of Lost Souls (TMI #5)
The Bane Chronicles
City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6)
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
(If you want to read A History of Notable Shadowhunters and Denizens of Downworld, the best place to do so would be here)
Lady Midnight (TDA #1)
Lord of Shadows (TDA #2)
Queen of Air and Darkness (TDA #3)
That would mean you'd caught up, and should probably read the next books in publication order. That would be:
The Red Scrolls of Magic (TEC #1)
Ghosts of the Shadow Market
Chain of Gold (TLH #1)(less)
Magical_Bookworm I would think so since you have to read all of the books set in the Shadowhunter world are some how connected. But I'm not 100% sure.

Melanie

ARC given to me by my amazingly kind friend - Heather at Bookables!

✨ My reading vlog for this entire book, and my entire process of annotating, taking notes, and writing this very review, is live on my BookTube channel!

The Red Scrolls of Magic is the story that Magnus and Alec always deserved. My two precious boys, both t
Emma Giordano
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Can I say that I absolutely love the COVER and the PROMISE of this book!!??

I'm such a sucker for Magnus and Alec! I adore their relationship and I just can't get enough of them!
And now there's going to be a trilogy?!

Oh boy, I'm so ready for this!
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW READY I AM! XD

Ahh Cassie... you and your books!
I'm convinced they'll be the death of me! <333
Ashley Nuckles
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO SO SO SO GOOOOD! I NEED MORE MALECCCC.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I haven't finished TMI or even started TDA, yet here I am, drooling over this
Kai
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as never-in-my-life  ·  review of another edition
Emily May
Jan 02, 2019 marked it as to-read-longlist
Why not? I'll give it a go.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
me: hated TMI, would burn it if given the chance
also me: this book is exactly what I deserve and i will five star it
Kiki
Oct 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I'm going to try this. And what of it?!

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO. YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

Side note: why is everyone raving over the cover? It's really... Whoa, guys, it's bad. The colours clash, the font is amateur, the figures are drawn horribly (what is up with Alec's elbow?) and overall it looks like something I would have doodled on the inside cover of a textbook ten years ago during my emo phase. I'm not impressed.
Helena of Sparta ✰
I received a chapter sample of this at a Queen of Air and Darkness book signing.

I'm such Cassie Clare-trash that I bought this mini-Shadowhunter novel today! Seriously! It’s tiny!

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Out today, people!!!

4.5
WHAT THE WHAT?! That ending....???!?!?!

It literally pains me that I can't add quotes to this review but hey, I get it, it's an ARC and things are subject to change. Just know that I was highlighting like crazy the last 25%.
---
I can't lie, when I first found out that Cassie was writing ANOTHER series based in the Shadowhunter world, I was a little peeved. I mean I love Magnus, I really do, but I was just like "how much longer can all this be drug out?!"...I'm sure I'm not t
Hollis
A warrior chosen by angels and a well-dressed demon's child, in love and intent on adventure through Europe. What could go wrong?

I have so many quotes I want to use in this review and there's no way this is going to be long enough to use them all. Woe.

It was very clear Alec had not been on a proper vacation before. He kept trying to plan the holiday as if they were going into battle.

Anyway, it's been a long (long) time since I read CITY OF BONES or any books from the main, or first spin-off, ser
Shirley ♡
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
[4.5⭐]

This was such a great book, I need book 2 NOW!!!
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: i received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, this is no way impacted my review

Alec had been right about the darkness waiting in Magnus, and the pain waiting with it. All that darkness, and all that pain, and Magnus was somehow still a blazing riot of life and color, a source of joy for everyone around him. He was the reason Alec looked a mirror now and saw a complete person who did not have to hide.

The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare and Wesley
Beth
Sep 25, 2018 is currently reading it
Magnus and Alex trilogy oh hellllll yeahhhhhh
———
09.04
I’m so jealous of all the reviews going up 😂 I ordered TWO copies, are either here? NOPE damn youuuuuuu 😂
———
I’m laughing so much! Guess whose copy just turned up, too impatient for my own good!
Iris
AJHGFDGGHJGFDGHJFDDSDGH SO MANY FEELINGS I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT IS PERFECTION MAGNUS AND ALEC ARE MY FAVOURITES OH MY GODDD SO GOOD AHHHHHHHHHH!! ALSO HELEN AND ALINE OMG MY HEART! JUST MY HEART IN GENERAL THIS BOOK OH MY GOD SO MANY FEELINGS MY SHIP SO MUCH PAIN SO MUCH FLAILING AHHHHGFHJKGFDHJ!!!

Coherent review to come hopefully??
Cory Marie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I tend to really like most books, I still try to be somewhat objective when reviewing them. Well, I’m just going to throw all of that nonsense out of the window right now because this book is about Malec- meaning, there is absolutely no way that I was going to rate it less than 5 stars.
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I know I don’t need to finish The Dark Artifices to read this but I like reading her series in Publication order... so... wtf am I going to do. *eye twitches*
shannon ✨
THIS IS MEANT TO COME OUT ON MY BIRTHDAY WHEN I TURN 19
SQUEE

UPDATE - 14/JUNE / uhhhhh, i think this is the first time ive felt iffy about a shadowhunter cover? 😩
Sahitya
So, let me just begin by prefacing that this is one of those books where I can’t be expected to be objective, I already loved the characters too much before I began and there’s nothing that can make me not like this book. And as I thought, this book entertained me and made me very very happy, so let me try to gush less and maybe write some coherent sentences below. Also, there might be spoilers for all the previous Shadowhunters books, so please read at your own risk.

I thought I knew all about t
Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆
I am reading "Magnus Bane and his new lover Alec Lightwood". I am reading "adult novel". I am reading "fantasy thriller". AND NOW I AM BURNING BURNING BURNINGGGGGGG!
Emma
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I must say that I enjoyed this book a lot more than I had expected. I’m not gonna lie, I wasn’t very excited about this book, just because it’s set in the recent past and so I already know that they’re going to be fine and nothing major is going to happen to them. But I was pleasantly surprised because I found it enjoyable and also because I think this book laid the ground for the next two in the series.

Alec and Magnus are very cute and I enjoyed reading about their relationship. I lo
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
I have only read the first 3 TMI books and nothing else from this world, but I wish I could read this right away cause Malec was one of the few things I actually liked so far.

But I'm reading in publication order so maybe when I'm 84 I can get to this.
Alex
Apr 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, ugh, absolutely-not
description
(Warning: I get very angry in this review. If you don't like anger and/or criticism towards CC then kindly skip, thanks)

Listen, Magnus Bane is one of my favorite characters of all time. Even though I don't like Cassandra Clare and I strongly disagree with her writing, I just really love Magnus.

I don't particularly like Malec, because I hate big age differences in relationships, especially queer ones.
It's a stereotype and it's awful and predatory. It also seems out of character for Magnus to go a
 Vanessa  B. ☽♡
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
3,5 stars.

Sooo... Magnus and Alec were the main reason I kept reading the Mortal Instruments, the only series from the Shadowhunters world that I didn't really like. As you can imagine, I was super excited about this book...I believe that Magnus is the core of this world, one of my favourite and certainly the most interesting of them all. He is funny, smart, powerful, wise (even if he would roll his eyes), a little crazy and soooo deeply good. Alec on the other hand, is strong, loyal, serious, l
leonie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a quick & fun read and i’m always happy to see my beloved malec and also a lot of old favs!!! tessa!!! aline & helen!!! raphael!!! this is not as dark & serious as cassie’s latest works which is a nice change but i like when she writes on her own more
Lance
"“It’s a classic love story. I hit on him at a party, he asked me out, then we fought an epic magical battle between good and evil side by side, and now we need a vacation.”

“He’d always assumed that storybook moments like these were meant for Jace, Isabelle, anyone but him. Yet here he was.”

4.5. Cassie Clare (and Wesley Chu), you've outdone yourself. I.... I loved this so fucking much. The Red Scrolls of Magic is one of my new favorite books within the Shadowhunter universe, and despite my l
Grüffeline
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Besides, we are on vacation. Carpe diem. Seize the day, not the demons."

By the Angel, do I love these two! While I kind of expected this book to take place after Queen of Air and Darkness, I totally agree that the vacation Malec went on during City of Fallen Angels needed telling! I mean, I totally would've been satisfied reading about a peaceful romantic vacation and I have never been angrier at demons and other creatures than when they interrupt these lovebirds' romantic times. B
Jennymort ♔ Dark Lordette
**UPDATE: 10APR2019**

i am sad that this book is only 350 pages. it's not enough malec to satisfy me at all.

BUT I'LL STILL READ IT!

**UPDATE: 09APR2019**

GUESS WHO GETS TO GO HOME AND FIND THIS ON THEIR DOOR STEP TONIGHT!??!?!

I'M SCREAMING

Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

• Fall Like Thieves
  • Untitled (Untitled Trilogy, #3)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Untitled (Threads of Power, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Kingdom of Back
  • Untitled (Slayer, #2)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Untitled (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • Untitled (The Trials of Apollo, #5)