Start by marking “Fields of Mars (Marius' Mules, #10)” as Want to Read:
Fields of Mars (Marius' Mules, #10)

Fields of Mars

(Marius' Mules #10)

The war in Gaul is over, but the fight for Rome is only just beginning. Denied his consulship by the senate and nearing the end of his term as governor, Caesar waits at Ravenna with one legion, making a last attempt at reconciliation. Threatened with prosecution if he returns to Rome, just one path is becoming clear: war against the senate.

Fronto and Galronus are bound t
Published May 30th 2017 by Victrix Books

To ask other readers questions about Fields of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fields of Mars

Start your review of Fields of Mars (Marius' Mules, #10)
Simon Binning
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The test of any long running series is how eager the readers are for the next volume; whether they are still as excited by the anticipation of the next volume as they were for the second or third. It is inevitable that the occasional entry will disappoint. Perhaps because events don't follow the path the reader wants; after all, we come to know the main characters and have our own expectations of them. Perhaps the author just had a poor spell. Sometimes financial considerations - particularly fr ...more
Paul Bennett
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Rubicon River, a rather insignificant stream with a rather major significance.  Fronto is once again with Gaius Julius Caesar and follows him across that river and into open rebellion against fellow Romans.  In MM X, the author presents the events of Caesar's siege of Massilia and his campaign in Hispania against Pompey's legions.  In a nice bit of plot interweaving, we find Fronto, once again in charge of a legion, with Caesar at Ilerda while at the same time he is also mentally occupied wi ...more
Jay Ranton
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Turney did it again. He sucked me in from the first page and left me wanting more. I stopped reading when I had 89% because I just didn't want the book to end, but alas I finished it and now I have to wait until next summer? c'mon.
X is a good book about, in Turney's words, a boring part of Roman history. But Fronto keeps drinking, fighting, lip-ing off and winning.

Thank you for writing and doing a good job. I appreciate that I don't have to sift through modern cursing throughout. You are a
Jaybour
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
To compliment or to complement

The improper usage of compliment and complement again rears its ugly head in this novel, as it does in many of the previous books. Also, confidant and confidante are misapplied. These are but two examples of many. The fact that these two recur in virtually every book suggests the editors/proofreaders haven't the foggiest notion of the difference and cannot dismiss the misuse as simple typos. Truly appalling editing!
Sharon Treumann
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great Marius Mules book.

Loved this book just like the first nine. They just keep getting better as we get to know the people and how they are injected into history. True some of the history has been tweeted but not too badly and has stayed pretty true to the times as we progress to know them.
james barlow
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD

This is my second time reading the series of Fronto, brilliant in every way. Intrege action, fact brilliantly mixed with fiction. Mr Turney is a master of his trade. Can't wait for No eleven and must the series end at fifteen. Everything from Mr Turney is brilliant, thank you keep them coming.
William Mills
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent read which left me wanting to buy the next as the author has blended actual history with characters both fictional and historical. Fronto is feeling aged but still up for a good fight, and Caesar himself is clearly very ambitious.
V. William Turkus
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable!

It is clear the author enjoys writing about his subjects and has a great understanding of the days of Cesarean domination of the Gauls and the Iberian peninsula. A page turner.
Gareth Brown
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-fiction
Caesar crosses the Rubicon in one of histories biggest moments and civil war with Pompey and the senate ensues. There is a lot of coming and going between Italy and Spain, but this is a fascinating look into the narrative beyond the usual textbook. Good stuff!
Christopher Yellop
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
keeps getting better

excellent ,well wrtten.Like Carlesburg it's probably got the least number of typos or boo _ boos in any e book i have read.By way the stories so far have all been excellent,bring in the next one
David
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

Loved this book although there is not a lot of action its still great cos the characters in it make the story and its always great to look on the historical side of it .
Michael
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Looking forward to the next instalment in the series!
Gerald Zemlo
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great complete series.

If you like Roman battle stories these are for you. Can't put them down once started. Bated breath for next episode.
David Maidstone
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the stories of Fronto as he serves Caesar so well in his own way. This own brings us to the start of the Civil War which I know so little about but as usual the author brings history alive with fun, mishap and heroics.
Gail Reagon·Rutgers
Carolin Crabbe
Jul 16, 2020
Einar O Knutsen
Sep 22, 2019

• Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • Land of the sacred Fire (Legionary #3)
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • The Emperor's Games (The Centurions #3)
  • The Blood Road (Legionary, #7)
  • Dark Eagle (Legionary #8)
  • Viper of the North (Legionary, #2)
  • The Centurions (The Centurions #1)
  • The Scourge of Thracia (Legionary, #4)
  • The Fall of Britannia (Roman, #1)
  • Barbarian Princess (The Centurions #2)
  • Gods & Emperors (Legionary, #5)
  • Empire of Shades (Legionary #6)
  • Caligula (The Damned Emperors, #1)
  • The Battle for France (Struggle For a Crown Book 7)
  • The Legions of the Mist: A gripping novel of Roman adventure
  • The Return
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Marius' Mules (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • The Belgae (Marius' Mules, #2)
  • Gallia Invicta (Marius' Mules, #3)
  • Conspiracy of Eagles (Marius' Mules, #4)
  • Hades' Gate (Marius' Mules, #5)
  • Caesar's Vow (Marius' Mules, #6)
  • The Great Revolt (Marius' Mules, #7)
  • Sons of Taranis (Marius' Mules,  #8)
  • Pax Gallica (Marius' Mules #9)
  • Tides of War (Marius' Mules #11)