Start by marking “Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)” as Want to Read:

VERY RARE illustrated hardcover book, sorry no dust-jacket. "Grid Systems in Graphic Design - Raster Systeme für die Visuelle Gestaltung" By Josef Müller-Brockmann. English version by D. Q. Stephenson. English and German text. This is the 5th Edition, published by Verlag Niggli AG, 2007. Full title: "Grid Systems in Graphic Design. A Visual Communication Manual for Graphic ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Ingram

Be the first to ask a question about Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung

Start your review of Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
Aaron
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Oddly, this isn't the page-turner I expected. Thus far it's functioning more as an unintentionally hilarious Objet d′art. I tried to like this. I know it's important, every designer should read it, etc. That said, I found it outdated and less than captivating. A landmark publication when it came out, I hoped it would help out my sense of composition and add clarity to everything I create. No such luck for me. I may try out The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst and leave Müller-B ...more
Jeff
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was definitely written by a German in the 60s. Very...structured. Some very useful ideas, especially for people just getting into design. Rules are good. I just wish the latest edition of the book, published in 2007, would have included some less dated examples. I'm sure I'll be able to find some current examples of the grid system on the Internet.
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read. The way it is written, as a designer reading it, touched every sensibility. Really well structured and the words were chosed really carefull, which showed how much passion was poured into it.
Adam
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-design
Grid Systems in Graphic Design is a timeless classic that belongs on every designer and designer wannabee's bookshelf.

Ripe with visual examples, the book doesn't only provide you with a practical framework for design and layout for anything you might be working on (web, print, application development...), it goes the extra mile to explain in the perfect amount of detail why things affect their audience in particular ways, or why you should do things one way or another.

This book dissolv
Daniel
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is THE classic designers book on grid systems. I have a handful of grid-related books, and this one stands out and the most thorough and theoretical. Muller-Brockmann's explanations for why to make the decisions & thoughtful structure that he recommends is rare wisdom that I didn't get in my design education.

The book is dated in a wonderful way – very Midcentury Swiss. He starts off simple and then gets more and more complicated as the book progresses. I feel like his design isn't dire
Erica
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
I would like to give this book a 3.5, actually, not quite a 4. I think it's really good, packed full of information, and actually pretty interesting to read, as long as you do it a little bit at a time. I do think though that it's a little over the top in insisting the grid is the only way to go, and a bit... insulting to those that choose not to use grids all the time. you sort of have to look past some of the very strong "grids are the best thing ever" statements and absorb the information.
Ozan Tortop
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Might be a revolutionary grid book of its era, but not a current one. We moved on from Letraset and photo-typesetting after this book has published. Still good reading though, as long as you are aware of it’s more a history book than design. (And as long as you don't hundreds of orphans and widows in a design book.)
Sara
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is the essential, original book on grid systems from the master swiss designer josef müller-brockmann. all design students should buy this book if you want to learn about how to organize content and type in a beautifully visual and modern way.
David
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic designers
Shelves: design
Read it in college and again in 2006-2007. Required reading for graphic designers.
Michael Scott
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: compsci-tech, design
TODO full review:
+ Excellent guide for graphic design practitioners, focusing on structure for the page (the 2d plane).
+++ Clear, concise, full of technical detail and with a proper investigation of the structured dedign space. How many words per legible line? A long-lasting constant, of around 10. Noted.
+++ Many excellent examples and analysis of practical use.
+ Good incursion into the design of structured 3d spaces, complete with a full-room and a full-expo example.
-/+ Many
Roy Revelt
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good:

* Many examples of grids.

Bad:

* It's not pedagogical book and written not with an aim to get students from zero-to-100% but rather to expand practitioners' knowledge
* Not of a digital age, examples don't really apply to modern web layouts
* Left half is in English, right half is in German, which means 50% of the book is waste of money, paper and resources. It could have easily been released as two separate books in two separate languages. BUT, i
Zach
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few hard and fast rules he outlines that I was able to apply to my work the next day around typography and text legibility, so I really liked that. I design for web, and I think there are some useful concepts here around heirarchy of information, obviously layout, how to use illustrations / pictures, etc.

I do think it's not 100% relevant to web design. There are a lot of things here teaching the reader about DIN sizes, and a lot of references to how to send things off to your printe
Alexey
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
I had rather mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it's an appreciated design classic and the book design itself is an art piece because of its perfect structure and unique bilingual combination. But on the other hand, its first part contains too much common and well-known typography theory, while its a second part was quite hard to read because it contains plenty of grid system examples and the author's endless comments about them. I personally didn't find these comments very informa ...more
Angel
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, very approachable, but could use an update so the writing is more inclusive (all designers are assumed to be “he” by default) and the examples when they get into examples of systems in the world feels a little racked on. Would have made more sense in the beginning. Also the exhibition and architecture examples were weak from a human factors standpoint. I was hoping it would be the Elements of Typographic style approach to the grid, and this, while still useful, fell short of that by som ...more
Miguel Soares
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
Poor translation and user-experience (Portuguese version), somewhat outdated concepts that are poorly applied in this edition.
Overly expensive and poor reading experience due to the double translation.
Thomas Zhang
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oriented towards print, but ideas applicable to design in general. Concise explanations and good illustrations. Funny enough, the print on this book is uncomfortably tiny. Overall, a useful technical read.
Omar J
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intro on scientific articulation and application of grids in any layout. With consice and pragmatic writing style, Joseph Brockmann teaches a disciplined and systematic application of grids. His perspective is heavily influenced by the Swiss design philosophy.
Cosmin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excelent book for an in-depth understanding of how a grid system can improve not only your work in graphic design, but also your thinking!
Δημήτρης Λαζάρου
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, design, editorial
My first book on grids. An excellent primer for the newbie. A fantastic resource on typography too.
Alex Khlopenko
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for a beginning publisher and print publication layout designer. I'll return to the back more than once.
Tobias Asplund
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I will probably never finish reading this over and over. It's one of the greatest resources for graphic designers out there.
Diana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-have book for graphic designers!!
Douglas Fenstermacher
This book was very objective on giving specifications for using grid systems in print design and architectural design. Although it was written long before the internet, many of the concepts explained by the author are applicable to web and desktop application design. It contained many examples and included explanations on why the example was a good (or bad) example of grid-based design, which helps the reader develop a stronger understanding of grid design in practice. I would highly recommend t ...more
Gigglepie
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whoaaaaa, this book is off the chizain.

The first half of the book lays down some very simple ground rules for grids that anyone can immediately understand and benefit from. Unlike a lot of text books, it does an excruciatingly excellent job of explaining its lessons and reasoning. It's concise and extremely informative. The second half of the book gets into more complex grid systems and ways of seeing them.

The book provides lots of great explanations, and the book itself
Daniel Gormly
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has really helped dispel the idea I may have subconsciously held that the best designers simply have a magic eye for organisation. I also feel dumb for not picking up on such a simple and utterly ubiquitous concept.

Grid Systems is an elegant examination of and eminently, an instructional guide on the use of an indispensable framework for modernist typographic composition and layout. I have already brought the grid into my work as a developer with fantastic results.
Laycee
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
A must read for all graphic designers. The systematic grids and margins explained in this book are extremely tight. It definitely lays a solid foundation of the grid system, but it's too extreme, to the point that it's over doing it. I definitely don't recommend anyone to follow the grids, this book is simply a tool to get exposed to working with the grid. To do any creative designs, please get out of these grids!
Alana
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
An in depth overview of how to use grid systems. I learned halfway through reading this that some of my favorite designers don't use grids in their work. Which was liberating but also surprising. I thought everyone used grids. I wish there was an attached workbook. I struggled to practice the lessons I learned. I do notice the margins and line length in printed materials more.
Brian
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Josef Müller-Brockmann is another "must have" design book for anyone in print, web, whatever just read it. This book will take you through the proper use of the grid and familiarize you with the terminology and examples of grids used in the past.

Highly recommend A+
Tim Lindeman
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Incredible book. Beautifully printed in hardcover with black and red ink on soft fabric-like paper. The layout of the book is as interesting as its content. The book covers many topics from typography to history. It offers many examples as it explains simple grid systems that are very versatile. After reading, I feel like I understand enough to start creating my own grid system designs.
Celena
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a good resource for graphic designers specializing in editorial design and brand identity. The book explores the application of the grid in 3D so industrial designers and architects will find this useful as well.
I think this book is written well as far as reference books go. The countless redundancies, though, made it a little hard to read.

• Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far
  • The Elements of Color
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Typographie =: Typography
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The grid system is an aid, not a guarantee. It permits a number of possible uses and each designer can look for a solution appropriate to his personal style. But one must learn how to use the grid; it is an art that requires practice.” 1 likes