Start by marking “The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic” as Want to Read:
The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic

The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic

(The Rules #1)

Desperate to pay for college, Bridger Whitt is willing to overlook the peculiarities of his new job—entering via the roof, the weird stacks of old books and even older scrolls, the seemingly incorporeal voices he hears from time to time—but it’s pretty hard to ignore being pulled under Lake Michigan by… mermaids? Worse yet, this happens in front of his new crush, Leo, the ...more
Published September 7th 2017 by Duet Books, the YA imprint of Interlude Press

Carrie Pack I know the author has an *idea* for one. But I don't think anything's been announced yet.

☆ Todd
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boy-babble, jocks

I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to read this story at first. Lukens was a new-to-me author, but the cute cover and blurb pulled me in, but this time, taking a chance paid off big time.

I loved how quirky and flat out odd this journey was, as 17 y.o. awkward high school student, Bridger, embarked on a new job, which turned out to be an entirely new life. And a very happy, eventful one at that.

The prevailing dry humor, as Bridger is thrown into one bizarre supernatural situation after anothe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Fun, entertaining YA paranormal romance from a new-to-me author.

I was really impressed by The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic. I'm usually SO hesitant to try a new author because I've been burned time and time again by crappy stories from newbie writers, but this one was worth the chance! If you like your stories a little quirky, then this one is for you.

The world building-elements were super interesting. It reminded me a little of Clean Sweep, but a more rudime
Eugenia
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, ya, arc, mm
4.5 Stars. First off, let me say that what really intrigued me about this book was its glorious cover and intriguing title. I was hoping that the writing and story within would capture my attention as surely as the cover had. It did!

Here we have a paranormal/fantasy YA book in which magic, including myths and legends live hidden amongst the human world. Our trepidatious MC, Bridger, desperate to leave small town Michigan via college, answers a job ad on Craigslist for an assistant. Some high fly
C.B. Lee
RULES & REGULATIONS is a smart, fast-paced, high-stakes adventure that draws you in and takes you for a delightful ride into the world of myth and magic. Alongside worrying about AP classes and his crush, Bridger falls headfirst into the chaotic world of being an Intermediary’s assistant. With an awkward mentor and pixies as his guide, he has to learn how to be that bridge between the magical and mundane world (and escape a rampaging unicorn!).

Bridger’s sharp wit, sarcasm and resourcefulnes
Leah Rachel von Essen
While coming to terms with his bisexuality, Bridger Whitt is trying to raise enough money for college somewhere far away from Midden, Michigan. He takes an unconventional assistant job and ends up helping Pavel, the intermediary between myths and the regular world, contain unicorns, werewolves, and more, all while trying to keep his friendship with Astrid alive and learn how to ask out Leo, the hot new guy on the football team. By all rights, The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths and Mag ...more
M'rella
A hectic life of a teenager, a senior and a geek who has a crush on jock. He is ready to come out, but is petrified of the consequences. A life, packed with magical creatures running amok on top of all non-magical problems. You bet it's a fun read! :)

Chris, thanks for lending the book. EmilieSA, thank you for the rec!
I really enjoyed this one :)

Atlas
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Myths are unpredictable. Magic is troublesome.

* * * *
4 / 5

Myths & Magic is a simple, Skulduggery Pleasant-esque tale of a boy who answers a weird job offer (Craigslist, am I right?) and is dragged into a world of myths and magic. Add in a hefty dollop of teenage angst and a bisexual coming-out story and you've got a pleasant, easy read.

"Family isn't about blood, Bridger. It's about who is there for you and who makes you happy"

Bridger Whitt is an ordinary boy applying to out-of-state universi
Julian Winters
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's quite easy to see why so many people are raving over The Rules and Regulations For Mediating Myths & Magic ... from page to page, I was simply delighted with the humor, the charm, and the exciting adventures unfolding in Bridger's life. As a fan of wonderful comedy-fantasies like The Princess Bride and Stardust, F.T. Lukens captures all of the things I love about interweaving the worlds of magic, myths, and fantasy with tender, budding romance from a YA perspective. Lukens takes what ma ...more
Nicki Markus
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-lgbt
I loved The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths and Magic. Right from the first page, I found myself caught up in Bridger's life and the strange new occurrences that take place when he starts his new job. The world building was good--sufficient to answer questions but not so much that it felt like an info dump--and Bridger was a relatable and delightful character. I read it over three nights and I was always eager to turn the page and see what would happen next. If you are looking for a fa ...more
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was hilarious and heartwarming and like, solid urban fantasy.
Diverse
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2017
FT Lukens has got to be one of my all time favorite authors in paranormal LGBT YA. I've loved all the books this author has published. When this one came across my interwebs my immediate reaction was, "Wow, this reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." But this book is all the creative wonders FT Lukens conjurs from that brilliant brain.

There's some bizarre moments and strange elements in this story for sure. The MC is the awkward Bridger who is 17 years old and has a new job. This job c
Chris, the Dalek King
First off...great cover. It pretty much sold me on buying this book. Even though it is an ebook, and I won't be seeing it all that often. I'm just a real sucker for good covers, i guess.

As to the story itself...I really liked it. Even if YA isn't normally my thing. I appreciated how normal Bridger felt, and that this wasn't a Chosen One story-line. Bridger is just a normal dude who ended up in some really weird situations. And it was pretty consistently funny for the whole story.

My one gripe is
Jason
Nov 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Bridger Whitt is on a mission to get into college, away from his town, and to reinvent himself, particularly because, well, he’s bisexual. Let’s stop here.

BISEXUAL YOU SAY?! A MALE!? Yes, and it’s all to exciting to see this, especially in a young adult book. Society and American culture specifically has deemed bisexuality between females acceptable, and many straight men, well… dig it. However, the gay community and straight community share a common thread, and that is that ‘Oh, you are just c
Kristel
*ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I will check the quotes after publication as requested*

He walked out of the bathroom not at all ready to face whatever was waiting for him, but totally ready to fake it.

I’m so happy I found this book. This book, THIS BOOK, made me so happy; it filled me with lots of giggles. Never underestimate a spontaneous giggle. I laughed so much out loud I freaked out my dog a little bit: he got worried about my safeness and came by my side to se
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a well written and fun YA story.

Bridger knows that he is bisexual but he doesn't really want to tell anybody about this. He wants to wait until the end of his senior year and then start a new life in a university across the country in Florida where no one knows him and he can be himself, but in order to get to Florida he is going to need a job.

His luck turns up when he spots a job advert on Craigslist and he decides to apply but the job has some rather odd criteria and even getting to t
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This gets two stars for decent bisexual boy representation (although I was a bit puzzled by the complete lack of bi/homophobia, especially in the context of a high school football team in Michigan??), but tbh the rest is kinda bad: flat characters, mediocre writing, uninspired use of fantasy tropes, predictable and boring plot. Some teens will probably really like this, but it was a chore for me to get through.
Fari Cannon
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting because I literally didn’t want to put it down. I adored every single word, I adored the characters and the romance and the found family. I adored the lessons Bridger learned, I loved how endlessly supportive Leo and Astrid and his mom were. This book was the perfect balance of magic and growth and metaphors. I! don’t! have! enough! words! I loved this book so much I just want to gush forever. My only pick at it is that it wasn’t longer, honestly. I wanted more ad ...more
Janeylou
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0000-sh-recs
Joyfully Jay
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Bridger is… kind of adorable. He’s clumsy, earnest, too clever for his own good, and so wrapped up in himself he’s blind to much of the world around him. Self-involved and shallow, it’s easy to see why he and Astrid had their fight, and I found myself feeling more for Astrid than Bridger. It’s a testament to the author that Bridger can be such an unreliable and completely relatable narrator.

With Bridger as the narrator, we see Leo only through his eyes. Leo is sho
Alison
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This was a fun and entertaining YA paranormal. I really enjoyed it. Bridger is seventeen and smart and charmingly awkward and he's a wonderful character. He's bi and he's coming to terms with it and he's totally head over heels for Leo, who's perfect and kind and Puerto Rican and a popular jock. He's also trying to come to terms with the fact that myths are real. Despite this being a paranormal fantasy story, I found Bridger's emotional struggles to be quite realistically written. Bri ...more
Taylor Brooke
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A voicey, heartfelt, charming YA with a cast of relatable and realistic characters. For fans of Carry On and Simon VS, Rules & Regs takes readers for a romp filled with laughs, drama, family and friends. Bridger is a great MC who will resonate with any teen who struggled to come out - especially if they were wrangling rampant unicorns as well. Cute romance, smart plotting and an overall lovely read.
iam
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lgbtqia, favorites
this was so lovely, exactly what I needed to cheer me up <3 gave me lots of Simon VS meets In Other Lands feels, which I adored! the conclusion was a bit anticlimatic, but I still loved so many things about it i'll give it full 5 stars
Sheila Loosevelt
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm going to go be bisexual in my room. If that's okay with you? Great? Great.

I picked this book up on a whim when I was on the Interlude Press website purchasing How to Be Remy Cameron and Not Your Sidekick. I first saw the upcoming sequel (Monster of the Week) and was so intrigued by the premise of cryptids in a YA novel that I scoured the site for this book. I am so glad that I did, because I absolutely loved this book.

In this book we follow Bridger, a senior in high school who is just trying
Aleksandra
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
The Rules and Regulations For Mediating Myths & Magic is fun light-hearted YA novel with paranormal elements about bisexual seventeen year old Bridger who encounters a world of magical creatures and myths after starting a part-time job. This novel is humorous standalone about coming of age, about figuring your sexuality and choosing your future. It's full of great characters' dynamics and entertaining plot, also unicorn, angry pretty unicorn.

I love all the characters. Bridger is absolutely c
Lainy122
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was SO FUCKING CUTE! I loved the magic and the lore and high school drama and realistic reactions to batshit crazy situations and THE CHARACTERS! I loved every single character (but super especially Pavel because absent young professor is my jam).

From the blurb I thought I would enjoy this read, but it quite surprised me with its continuous trope subversion - every time I thought I knew which contemporary YA path it would stumble down it jumped the fence and ran across the paddock instead.

G
Micah
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE! Major fantastic beasts and where to find them vibes. IT was such a fun little journey of discovery and I’m glad I picked this up. Also I’ve been looking for diversity In my readings, characters that aren’t blonde, blue eyes, white. I ADORED that the love interest was a POC and it was embraced so warmly. Cute ass book. To the author, go you.
luci ;
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars🌟

My reading slump is gone! And God, this is what I needed. It was cute, funny and angst in the right places. Also, pixies, unicorns, trolls!! Ahh, it was so cute.

If you liked In Other Lands you will probably like this book, though I enjoyed this one a bit more ✨🔮
Lisa The Novel Approach
Honestly, how have I not heard of author F.T. Lukens before this? I grant you that The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic is only the third published novel by this writer, but it’s just brilliant. Humorous, intelligent and able to produce simply wonderful characters that make a deep impression on both your heart and mind, F.T. Lukens brings to life some of the most undeniably zany creatures you can ever imagine. From the butter and chocolate loving pixie duo of Nia and Bran to ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute, I mean it's a little ridiculous too, but utterly adorable. I thought the characters had realistic young adult, coming into themselves sort of problems that they handled well. I thought the couple was too cute for words. I liked the side characters. I thought the fantasy aspect of the book was engaging and interesting. And I thought it was funny. Granted, some of the humor was of the slapstick, silly sort. But still I enjoyed it. A rare, all around win for me.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like unicorns, bisexuality, and other things the world pretends don't exist
(3.5 stars) *I received an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

One day, Bridger’s worst problems were surviving high school and his massive crush on the new boy in school. The next, his new job turns out to be assisting a supernatural creature-wrangler. This is a book that asks the timeless question: which is scarier, facing down a charging unicorn or coming out to your mom?

The first part of this book reads like wattpad fanfiction, and not in a good way. That’s not
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Beauty's Brother
  • Distant Rumblings (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • Recipe for Magic
  • Archangel's Assassin
  • The Queen's Librarian
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • Tainted Soul (Tainted, #2)
  • Liesmith (The Wyrd, #1)
  • Priddy’s Tale
  • Champion of the Scarlet Wolf, Book Two (Champion of the Scarlet Wolf, #2)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • The Sidhe (The Heart of All Worlds, #1)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Poz (The Lives of Remy and Michael, #1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Open for Business (Brandywine Investigations #1-3)
  • The Suicidal Peanut
  • Hold Still (Natures in Harmony)
F.T. Lukens is an author of Young Adult fiction who got her start by placing second out of ten thousand entries in a fan community writing contest. A sci fi enthusiast, F.T. loves Star Wars and Star Trek and is a longtime member of her college’s science-fiction club. She holds degrees in Psychology and English Literature and has a love of cheesy television shows, superhero movies, and writing. F.T ...more

The Rules (2 books)
  • Monster of the Week (The Rules, #2)
“Bridger flipped through his book, thumbing the old parchment pages, stopping on possible classifications.

"Vampire?"

Pavel shook his head. "Despite current popular culture conventions, vampires do in fact explode in sunlight. It's quite messy and involves entrails.”
1 likes