Start by marking “Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design” as Want to Read:
Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design

Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design

Designing a good interface isn't easy. Users demand software that is well-behaved, good-looking, and easy to use. Your clients or managers demand originality and a short time to market. Your UI technology -- web applications, desktop software, even mobile devices -- may give you the tools you need, but little guidance on how to use them well.

UI designers over the years hav
Published November 28th 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Interfaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Interfaces

The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugUniversal Principles of Design by William LidwellThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James GarrettAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
UX books
67 books — 114 voters
Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
44 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Mikal
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Designing Interfaces is one of the few books every designer should have and read, note: get the print version, this book will not translate well to ebook.

It does a great job laying out the common patterns of software design and establishing a common nomenclature for referring to each one. Given its scope, Tidwell only superficially tackles each topic-- however she provides the foundational elements of each one (going over Gestalt principles for example) to ensure even those unfamiliar to interac
Patrick
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Another gorgeous design book. But not quite what I was expected.

The book is basically an encyclopedia of UI design patterns, or maybe "mini patterns". Broken into categories like form design, editor design, etc. Covering areas like individual, concrete patterns like tabbed containers, referred to as "card stack" to general, abstract notions like "diagonal balance". Each pattern is cross-linked with related patterns. I assume an online version of this book would work quite well, particularly if t
Abhinav
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
The domain of the book is very well defined by its title. Its primary focus is to educating the readers about Interaction Patterns, its use and context of usage. The book encompasses certain aspects of Interfaces but leaves the readers craving for more patterns. So after reading this book you might want to look into Yahoo! pattern library.
All in all, a nice read for someone who has a decent knowledge of Interface designing and interface usability. Will not recommend this book to someone looking
Alper Çuğun
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice book with explanations and examples of most of the common user interface elements and idioms. An excellent reference with thoughtful and in most cases very recent examples illustrating the patterns.

As with any design book this is not complete but covers most of the bases extensively and a lot in it has been motivated thoroughly but remains discutable. Let neither of those put you off.

Graham Herrli
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-related
I can only assume that one of the reasons some people don't believe in the value of UX design is the existence of books like this.

In over 500 pages it says absolutely nothing.
Rafaila
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Although the book was written back in 2005, it mostly discusses basic principles of UI design that are timeless, avoiding to get in details that are related with the seasonal trends. This approach makes the book modern even after 12 years.

The writer managed to present and analyse most aspects that someone needs to consider in order to create a user-friendly UI, while most of the analysed principles can be also applied for web-design or even poster-design. It is easy-to-read and written in a sim
Nika
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was super useful when I was working on my project. When I did not have much ideas how to start with creating a certain element I could always find ideas. What I really like about this book is also how much material you can find. Today we have websites such as Material Design and many others who share the component specifications with the rest of the world. So even though I think it's a good book, it's not as practical as a direct website and some of it's cases are pretty old - but it c ...more
Jessica
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, uxd
I was given this as a supplemental resource for a new job, particularly for Chapter 7, and think it’s an excellent guide. It doesn’t go very in depth, but she lists pros and cons of different design decisions that helps, IMO, when making UI decisions. I think this is a great reference for anyone in a HCD field, especially those who are new to UI design. I don’t think it’s the best resource for people who have been working in the field for a while though, and much better for novices like myself. ...more
Ietrio
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Designing interfaces can be very difficult. The proof is the majority of applications that are hard or unpleasant to work with. Yet the author has no idea what designing interfaces takes. Tidwell only wings it by making up reasons why the Apple interface is great. Well the Apple interface is great and sales would prove it. And? Reading this book you would be able to do a Mac application interface. Something you would be able to do by simply using a Mac and paying attention to the details, instea ...more
Summa Smiff
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A good overview of common UI elements and their best use cases. If you have been an interaction designer for long, most of it is likely to be familiar if not obvious, but the clear explanations still make this a valuable read. If you are new to interaction design, Designing Interfaces will get you to start thinking about the relationship of form to function and put you on the right path for further development.
Stefan
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice overview of UI patterns (typical ways interface is out together, controls you would use etc) with some coverage of usability and interactions. Definitely worth giving an user / client so they know what's possible / feasible whilst working on a new app / website. Since 2nd edition Google Material design and iOS 'Human Interface Guidelines' moved the domain a bit. Time for a reviewed 3rd edition?
Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book contains many mini UI patterns, from UX point of view. Each with its own what, why, when, how and examples from well-known Desktop Application, Website, Mobile...

This serves as a good reference book, not as a thorough guide for Designing Interfaces
Ieva
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Goog, though should be updated. Some examples are outdated.
Francesco
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of great stuff in here on Information Architecture but the examples are very old.

The book needs an update to be really worth the read at this point.

F //
Phoenix
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, design
Intelligent and Invaluable

Jenifer Tidwell's pattern based approach is amazingly good! She carefully organizes and enumerates a wide variety of effective user interface options for both small screen (ie: Blackberry, cell phones) and larger screen forms. I am not an expert in UI design by any means (I have read Donald Norman, Tagnazzini, Shneiderman and Mayhew but I have no background in graphic design), but I do project reviews and this book has given me some insight into problems and potential
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 added it
Has helpful tips. A few technical quibbles. Sometimes examples were given of an interactive process with only one screenshot, making it a bit of work to try to figure out what the rest of the interaction looked like. I occassionly had a hard time flipping through looking for a particular pattern. [return][return]Really though a good book as far as interface design goes. Certainly one of the better O'Reilly books I've read in a while. [return][return](Lots of good examples for folks to build off ...more
Alexandr
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: schoolers
Shelves: computers
Не дочитал. Немного скучноватая книжка. Но! Она выполнена в стиле энциклопедии. Т.е. она не обучает как создавать творческое и что то новое. Она просто описывает существующие шаблоны, как они были использованы, и если вы хотите использовать этот элемент, то делайте так же, или в том же ключе. Вообщем, если бы я это в 9 классе прочитал, было бы классно. А если вы уже являетесь разработчиком, это пока пустая книжка.

т.е. 2% реально полезной информации размазано по всей книге, остальные 98% уже изве
Emily H.
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prof-dev, dr-min-liu
Although it was odd that there was a duck on the cover, everything inside this book was worth reading. I really liked Tidwell's writing and think she's organized, succinct, reflective, and anyone who reads her book will become a better interface designer. This would be a great textbook for any media-design course.
Ardavan Mir
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book to have it as a reference, although it could have been visually more interesting and appealing. I could never understand why there is 'How' sections for each pattern, I skipped the most.
Every chapter begins with a very good theoretical ideas on general design principles which help you defend your design decisions and in general increases your knowledge.
Robert
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
One of the best books on designing interfaces...I find myself returning to it periodically for refresher sessions. It leads one down a path on not only 'what' the user is wanting to accomplish but also 'why' and 'how'. Every software developer would be better off reading and thinking about this book.
Mo
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for any User Interface Design student/pro/enthusiast.

Really well-organized, with easy-to-understand explanations and tons of examples.

I had to read this book for my Interface Design class -- normally I sell off my textbooks after the course is done. This one isn't leaving me.
Blake Winton
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
As many other people have mentioned, this book is a great list of Design Patterns. Unfortunately that makes it harder to read than something with a narrative. Now that I'm done reading it, I can easily see myself referring back to this book when I have a problem, or want some inspiration or new ideas.
Chris
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tidwell has crafted an excellent pattern library for user interface designers and compiled into this source. She is thorough and offers a balanced view of when and where to use various patterns to bring out their strengths.
Paz
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux
El mundo del UX esta lleno de conceptos que ya están definidos. Este libro es como la enciclopedia de esos conceptos. Súper útil. Sobre todo si estas arrancando en el mundo del diseño de experiencias de usuarios.
Mike Hall
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Overall not too bad, but not great. It tried to be a UI patterns book, but the patterns were all a little too basic and I found the naming of the patterns to be strange and inconsistent with standard industry names.
Nina
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
+Praktische Anwendertipps für den Alltag als Interaction designer!
+Super als Nachschlagwerk
+Lustig, weil man sieht das heute die Designs schicker sind aber die Fehler teilweise immer noch dieselben sind ;)

-Leicht Veralteter Stand
Ethan
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Decent book. More of a reference book of about 100 UI patterns, not something to read cover to cover.

If you are a designer who already voraciously consumes mobile apps and websites, you may already know a lot of this, although it does present the info very well.
Jamie
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, school, technical
As another reviewer mentioned, it's mostly a reference book for design patterns. As such, I mostly just skimmed it, but it has definitely been useful in making the process of UI development more rigorous.
MJ
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis
Used this as a text book in a Usability & Interface Design class. Liked the pattern structure of the book, and the author did a great job in explaining some common design difficulties and possible solutions.
Rachel Peters
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009_reads, ux, design
This book is a little dated but still relevant. It's a great resource for your bookshelf if you work in product design. Read my full review at http://rachelhpeters.com/2009/09/15/b....
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 4 Oct 28, 2009 09:23AM
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »