Start by marking “Shards of a Broken Sword: The Complete Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Shards of a Broken Sword: The Complete Trilogy

Shards of a Broken Sword: The Complete Trilogy

(Shards of a Broken Sword #1-3)

In TWELVE DAYS OF FAERY, King Markon of Montalier is at the end of his tether. His son, Prince Parrin, is afflicted by a nasty curse that brutally attacks any woman with whom he so much as flirts.
Markon, accompanied by a mysterious enchantress, must enter Faery to break the curse. He’s collecting clues, but she seems to be collecting shards of an ancient, broken sword…

Raf
Published January 31st 2017 by W.R. Gingell

To ask other readers questions about Shards of a Broken Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shards of a Broken Sword

Sylvia Mercedes
So it won't surprise any of you who have been following my reviews for any length of time to find me reviewing yet ANOTHER W.R. Gingell book. Seriously, I think it's time I admit that I've become a Gingell-addict. But it's an addiction I don't plan to fight any time soon!

This book was actually three books in one volume, connected by various plot threads. So I'll do a mini review for each one, slightly different from my usual format.

TWELVE DAYS OF FAERIE

This first story in the trilogy immediat
Andree
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Super into this. I really like how W.R. Gingell writes/plots out her stories. It's not over-the-top angst or drama. It's just entertaining and fun. Also, pretty much everyone is competent! Huzzah!

Absolutely loved the first two novellas in this series, liked the third less so. I think it either needed to lose a subplot, or be longer and better developed.

12 Days in Faerie is everything I love in a fairy story. A potential curse! A kingdom in trouble! Magic! A Mysterious enchantress! A fun love sto
Denae Christine
I usually love magic systems that are well-defined with clear limits. This book doesn't have that, and yet I love the way the magic system is described (convincing the wall it wasn't a wall, ha).

I usually don't care about romance at all. Yet, in these books, I really liked the romance. It's slow, charming, and not at all focused on what the other person looks like.

I don't usually want to read about Fae. I don't usually want to read about an MC who is old enough to have children. I usually don't
Voirrey
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2017
This is more of a 4.5 star read, really. The first of the trilogy was a 4, the second a 4.5, and the third a 5. I liked the way the first two were stand alones until the third book linked them together, and the tiny ficlet at the end added to that first story, too.

The fae have been slowly taking over - sometimes by stealth, sometimes by invitation, sometimes by force, and the need to close up the links between the two worlds to prevent further incursion is the real force behind the stories, but
Ellen Sheffer
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three for one

It was great to get this as a complete set, no waiting for the next installment. I've read maybe half a dozen books by this author, all different, and none disappointed. They also are books I wouldn't hesitate to give my 13-year-old granddaughter (If only she were interested in fantasy!) and yet they don't have a "young adult" feel to them, rather they are ageless.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I only read the first novella of three in this book, and it was interesting but not enough to make me want to read the other two. I knew I was probably being optimistic, purchasing the set without having ready anything by this author, and now I just want my $7 back. :(
Margaret Rose
4.5

The author's style of writing is a little confusing, but now that I've got a better handle on it I'm enjoying her books more.

Part 1
Twelve Days of Fairy

I have never read a book with a main character who is 45+ with a grown child, and I didn't expect to relate or enjoy this story. I was in for a surprise. Maybe not the relating part, but I definitely loved the action, world building, and characters. Plus, a murder mystery! Yay!

Part 2
Fire in the Blood

Thar be dragons! *girlish squeal* Love you, R
Shannon Rohrer
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was a highly enjoyable read. Each of the three novels within (plus the two short stories at the end) tied together so beautifully. The author obviously took great time and care into weaving everything together into a tapestry filled with Fae magic, witty dialogue, intriguing characters, and (probably what I enjoyed most), the bonds between them.

In the first novel, "Twelve Days of Faery", things take an interesting twist as King Markon seeks out the aid of an enchantress (Althea) t
Deb Whittam
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author W.R Gingell has produced a delightful series in the Shards of a Broken Sword trilogy. Containing three distinct story lines with marvelous characters it is an enjoyable read which moves along at a cracking pace, ensuring that there is never a dull moment.

My favorite feature of this book was the characters; each was distinct, with their own motivations. Utilizing stream of consciousness we are able to relate to the trials they are enduring and agonize over the decisions they make. While I
Sharon Hughson
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
You could read one or all three of these stories and be satisfied. The premise was nothing new (save the human world from Faery) but it was handled in a unique way, combining the individual survival stories with an overarching series quest.
The author wrote the first story almost entirely from the male perspective. It was well-done and entertaining. I would have liked a little more character insight into the shero, but her mysteriousness played well in the story.
The second story has more dual-POV
Rose Boyer
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must say that by the mid-way point of this series I was very much enjoying myself. However, the first book was a shocker after ending a series by another author. I gave a 4 star not a five because I was not hooked during the first book as there are many words that are not necessary and I learned quickly to skip over to get on with the story. As I realized that the author is obviously English of origin, it became a bit easier to read the text though that lens. Never the less, I did very much en ...more
Ross Argabrite
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You should read this trilogy for selfish reasons

For those of us who like whole stories, I consider this a must read. A well crafted beginning full of history and promise, a fleshy middle of complex characters and involved situations, a satisfying finish complete with answered questions and unexpected treats.
This is mind candy of the best kind. You are most happy you've read it. It was a self indulgent temporal investment that lacks any regret for having been spent thusly.
Denise
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
W.R. Gingell has been added to my list of favorite authors to follow. I fell in love with her book Masque for it's writing style and humor and it carries over to this trilogy. I devoured this set of books and loved the characters and how she brought the characters together in the end. I would recommend this volume to all those that love their fantasy to have heart, humor, and an amazing cast of characters.
Victoire
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! Amazing book if you like kingdoms, mystery, fairytale like trials, and just enough romance this book is a must read! These three books are alone amazing but together are unbelievably good! Strong characters that are all different in culture, identity, and personality. Good on the edge of your seat plots and conclusions that will make you feel satisfied even though your heart just went on a rollercoaster of emotions.
Shannon Courser
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and easy read. Each part of the trilogy starts out as its own story, however they all connect in the end, which I found to be an interesting writing choice. The romance is a bit idealistic/love at first sight, but it's enjoyable as a sort of fairytale style of writing with added bits of humor and snark. Don't expect realism in this trilogy; but if you're looking for an easy upbeat read, this is it.
Sue
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of fantasy and I’m always pleasantly surprised when I discover a new series that is well written. This was one of those surprisingly good discoveries. The plots of the 3 books in the series are each very creative and avoid common tropes we see in fantasy today. I really enjoyed reading this series and look forward to following this author.
Athos
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I reread the first in the trilogy and enjoyed it again the second time around. The second story I thought was very clever and unique. The third was not my favourite. It felt like a manga cartoon - I could literally see it, with all its typecast characters, over-witty conversations and gestures.
Candice Allen
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful delight to read

This trilogy was delightful, each story different but tied together. I loved the extra tales added at the end. I loved the characters and the description of the world WR creates. Truly worth reading.
Brian Carson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Young Adult Read

This is a great read for a young adult. There is not much character development and the story moves very fast. Overall it is a good story with a good extended ending.
Kerry
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This book kept me enthralled.
I was wary after the first book ended and it seemed the the second book had nothing to do with the first, but it all makes sense and ties up in the end.
Sandra DiMaio-Leach
I loved this trilogy. The fantasies are different but interwined by the final story. Loved the appearance of dragons in book 2. The characters felt real and I cared about them. I was fascinated by the glimpses of the faery world. Just enchanting!!
Allie Ryan
Okay

It was okay. Too much time spent on minor characters with no development who i just didn't care about. Whee
Amanda Tosch
Didn't love it but enjoyed
Pamela Easley
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good fantasy

Although confusing at times, I enjoyed the twists and turns and light romance. I would probably read any sequels written
Sarah Arabi-Katbi
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A magical story of fae, adventures, magic, and swords. It seemed quite whimsical even with all the war and death and such.
Becky
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this group of stories. Each of the 3 books had characters that I liked. I'll definitely read more from this author.
Rachelle
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every page

Great characters in a story that unfolds over 3 novels. Fast paced and dramatic, this was a great Saturday afternoon read
Rita
Grades 4 through 6.
Megan Stone
More suited to teen readers

Pleasant read, but superficial character development. Seems more like an outline than a fully fleshed out book. Some fun plot twists as well
Jackie L Dowdel
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I wondered how this story could be connected but it came together beautifully in the third part. I truly enjoyed this story.
  • Namesake
  • Draven's Light (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7.5)
  • Dragon's Debt (The Dragon and the Scholar #2)
  • The Wulver's Rose
  • Cobweb Forest (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #3)
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Hunted (Frost Station Alpha, Part 1)
  • The Princess and the Pea (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • In High Places
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Cendrilla: A Fairy Tale
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
W.R. Gingell is a Tasmanian author who lives in a house with a green door. She spends her time reading, drinking an inordinate amount of tea, and slouching in front of the fire to write. Like Peter Pan, she never really grew up, and is still occasionally to be found climbing trees.

Shards of a Broken Sword (3 books)
  • Twelve Days of Faery (Shards of a Broken Sword #1)
  • Fire in the Blood (Shards of a Broken Sword #2)
  • The First Chill Of Autumn (Shards of a Broken Sword #3)