Start by marking “Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life” as Want to Read:
Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life

Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life

You're not weird—you're an introvert.

Introversion is no longer taboo, but there are still many misconceptions out there. People think we're just shy or antisocial, that we don't want to have close relationships, that we're all cat people, or that we don't like big parties. (Okay, the last one might be true.)

INFJoe, the cartoon persona of artist and introvert Aaron Caycedo-
Published August 15th 2017 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about Text, Don't Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Text, Don't Call

Start your review of Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life
☽✰Madison✰☾
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"It’s not a weakness to overcome or something to be cured. It’s just how some of us are designed.” -INFJoe on Introversion / Introverts

I read this in one sitting and felt like I was reading a part of myself. I've never related to a book so much! The message is comforting and I really adored it. It made me feel understood and at home. I would love to do a book swap with a more extroverted person so we could switch, Their's titled Call Dont Text, mine Text Don't Call therefore at the end we cou
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
"Text, Don't Call" is a collection of great comics and an explainer of sorts for all of my fellow introverts. My introverted-ness mostly comes out in how I recharge. When I interact with others, I've had a lot of people seem very surprised that I'm introverted. I'm social but if I don't get alone time (like really, really, really all alone time with no other humans - animals are okay!), I don't function well. This book talks about introverts like me as well as many other types, including the mor ...more
Lauren
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was first offered the chance to read and review Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life, I was intrigued. As someone who's always hovered between being an introvert and an extrovert, I find it interesting to read more about the "introverted life," especially when I can fully relate to what is being said. After reading an excerpt from Text, Don't Call, I could say 100% I could not only relate to what INFJoe was saying but I also wanted to see what else INFJoe had in ...more
Hannah
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sequential-art
Fantastic. As an introvert, I highly recommend this book--for both introverts and extroverts. Full review to come.
Shanley
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Wish I could go back in time and give this to my 13 year old self.
Ghazaal B.
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
So. After feasting on some cheesy pulps, having gained enough energy to run slowly back into more serious books, and also as an introvert (and also, after having discovered that me and my partner have the same MBTI Abbrs.), I thought reading this book will be a good idea but I guess I was wrong.
SO I'm reviewing this as an sorta insulted introvert.
First of all, we are introverts. not helpless babies who desperately seek for acceptance, support or even feel the slightest need for explaining oursel
ℨαrα
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a highly entertaining, relatable and very quick read. I would highly recommend picking this up if you’re an introvert, or even if you’re an extrovert who is sometimes perplexed by the odd traits of introverts.

And the title actually resonates with my very soul.
Andrew
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Validating for introverts and possibly educational for others

I've enjoyed INFJoe's cartoons when they pop up on social media so I decided to check out his book.

Lots of comics here I haven't seen before (they may be original to the book or I might have missed them) all relatable and amusing. The text does a good job summarising introversion and I believe it will work as a validation exercise for any introvert, or as a way of explaining our perception and challenges to others.
Ashley
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A most excellent book indeed. I love how it shares things about introverts that so many people get wrong. Like how introverts like to socialize ... in small groups or for small periods of time. We can even seem extroverted! But there is nothing like a good triathlon - book, bath, nap. ;)
Kristen
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a clever book! I related to at least 95% of the writings. Perfect for any introvert or as a gift to an extrovert so they can understand us more. Loved it!
Francesca
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The last time I marked a book as Read was in June. I finished this book at the end of November. If anything, INFJoe gets all the points for helping me get out of a massive reading slump. (And providing my introverted soul with the comfort it needed at the right time.)
Cheryl
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My personality type is ISTJ (Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging). I have always known I am introverted but ok with it. Thus, the reason I tend to only have a small group of very close friends. Also, being an introvert is another reason that I have always found solace in books. They have taken me to many places and allowed me to meet tons of characters. Due to the other traits I possess; thus another reason why I could relate to conversations being awkward as I do tend to thinking and pr ...more
Diana Anderson-Tyler
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this charming book highly enough, nor can I express just how encouraging it was to read a book that had me saying, “I’m not the only one? Thank goodness!” on nearly every page.
Text, Don’t Call made me feel proud of and grateful for what I’ve often viewed as an illness, something I needed to resist and fight rather than accept and enjoy.
It made me realize that there is so much about introversion that is beautiful and lovely and needed in this noisy world.
It reminded me that
Brittany
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite was the Introvert’s Triathlon: book, bath, and nap. Yes! The story of my life every Saturday.
Aditi Gupta
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a treat to my eyes and soul, this book really was.

A must read for all the beautiful introverts out there!
Kimberly
This book validated so much of what I often struggle with. Why do I want to be included in things, but then I find I don't really want to participate, but still kind of want to? Why am I often the co-worker that others approach and want to chat with, but all I can think about is all the work I need to get done, and I still want to chat with you, but maybe later? Ugh, being an introvert is exhausting. And this book explains it all, both for the introvert and their extrovert friends. Entertaining ...more
Stella
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: introvert
Simple, clear explanations of what an introvert is -- with cartoons! Perfect for a little introvert self-care, or to give to someone who doesn't get it and won't read a deeper book like Quiet by Susan Cain.
Amanda
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read. If you haven't yet figured out if you are an introvert reading this book will quickly answer that question.
Burgandy Ice
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You may have picked up some of my enthusiasm as I attempted to share the promotional materials that came with this book I received in exchange for an honest review. Yeah, I love it.

For one, it did not take long to read. In a world where our TBR piles are mile-high, a quick illustrated guide like this simply hits the spot. There's plenty to think about as the words and illustrations cover the various aspects the author wants to portray, but it's so readable.

Next - I get it. I snorted multiple tim
Danya
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't typically review non-fiction books, so this is a bit of a change for me! However, I am unapologetically an introvert, so when I was offered the chance to review this book by the publisher, of course I said yes.

The online personality of INFJoe and his cartoons were totally new to me. I think the artwork itself is simple but gets the point across very effectively -- a minimalist sort of approach to cartooning. The humour isn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it's often enjoyable in an "oh man,
Tricia
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up a couple of graphic novels for Brian and I couldn’t resist this one. The perfect thing to entertain myself in between entertaining Evie on the train ride.
This book made me wonder if introversion strengthens because I relate more than I used to.
I’m glad #introvertproblems is a thing because it will spread the idea that introverts aren’t stuck up or shy, we’re just in our heads and like to be alone. This also affirmed making alone time a priority and I hope Brian will read this.
Charles T Thoennes
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
As an introvert, I was actually a bit offended by this book. It kept telling me that I essentially should be a recluse and to not ever attempt social interactions. The author had extreme tunnel vision towards seclusion and crowd avoidance. It would have been much better had the author highlighted the positive aspects of being an introvert and how to use such attributes to our advantage.
Erin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was pretty a pretty standard "Here are what introverts do and if you are one, make sure to set some boundaries" kind of book, but it did have cute illustrations. Most of the anecdotes and observations about introverts were mostly common sense to even the most extroverted people, but it was still nice to have solidarity with a fellow INFJ.
Hannah
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didnt really connect with the humor in many of the illustrations, and I also did not agree with all of thia author's oppinions on introversion. I hope extroverts aren't really reading this as a guide to their introvert friends. The writer makes all introverts sound like anxiety-ridden narcissists.
Rae
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The life of an introvert in cartoon form. Spot on. And pretty funny.
Jeimy
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
As for the review, the book was good inasmuch as it is relatable, but not great—it’s no Sarah’s Scribbles.
David Wilson
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My life in illustrated form.
Joyce
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS TOTALLY ME. I am an INFJ!
Melissa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I loved this little book of introvert lessons and advice along with some great doodles. Definitely a fun read of your an introvert or trying to befriend one.
Mar
I'm getting tired of introverts feeling lil special snowflakes... Guess it's my fault for reading books like this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Introvert Doodles: An Illustrated Collection of Life's Awkward Moments
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
  • Book Love
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • How to Die Alone: The Foolproof Guide to Not Helping Yourself
  • Bites of Terror: 10 Frightfully Delicious Tales by Cuddles and Rage
  • Let's Be Weird Together: A Book About Love
  • The Worrier's Guide to Life
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
Aaron Caycedo-Kimura was born and raised in Santa Rosa, California. He drummed his way to New York City where he earned a Master of Music at The Juilliard School. During postgraduate soul searching, he realized that he had always been more visually oriented and picked up computer graphics to pay the bills and a paintbrush to feed his soul. During a creative rut in 2012, he created INFJoe, his onli ...more

News & Interviews

“It’s important, however, to understand that being introverted is different from being shy or antisocial. Shyness is insecurity or fear of social embarrassment, and the word “antisocial” describes someone who has hostile or harmful feelings toward society. Introversion is a preference that has to do with where you direct your energy (inward), how you recharge (usually by being alone), and what level of outside stimulation you’re comfortable with (less is more). It’s not a weakness to overcome or something to be cured. It’s just how some of us are designed.” 3 likes
“...because contemporary culture idealizes extroverted traits, we introverts—especially those of us who fall on the far introverted end of the spectrum—may feel that there’s something wrong with us. Some may not even understand or like themselves and may deny their natural preferences. We introverts need to understand, accept, and appreciate ourselves and how we are naturally wired.” 3 likes