Start by marking “Judge by the Cover (Half Sans Halo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Judge by the Cover (Half Sans Halo, #1)

Judge by the Cover (Hafu Sans Halo #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Campbelton looks like a city at peace;
Yet, just below the surface
Lie certain dangers—
Crime, corruption, and a community divided.

Haruna Mitsukai is an overachiever with dreams of attending the University of British Columbia.

Ryu Debiru is a bad boy whose only desire is to escape this ridiculous prison called "life."

Both attend Shady Glenn Academy and despite their simila
Paperback
Published January 2nd 2017 by Abielle-à-Miel Press

To ask other readers questions about Judge by the Cover, please sign up.
Melissa Abigail I'm not officially doing book signings for this round of giveaways but I can make some exceptions locally (U.S. & Canada) if requested. Otherwise,…moreI'm not officially doing book signings for this round of giveaways but I can make some exceptions locally (U.S. & Canada) if requested. Otherwise, I might be able to send a signed bookmark? :-)(less)
Melissa Abigail This novel should be no problem for a 15-year-old. The main protagonists are high school students and the narrative brings attention to some problems…moreThis novel should be no problem for a 15-year-old. The main protagonists are high school students and the narrative brings attention to some problems teenagers might face. There is little to no sexual content, but it deals with issues such as gang violence. There is some profanity, a few fight scenes (non-graphic) and some references to drug use and addiction.(less)

N.N. Light
I thought I knew what I was getting into with this book but it turned out to be very different. I'm a big fan of young adult books and this book's premise drew me in. The writing is superb however I found the bullying and racism themes to be heavy-handed. It took a long time for me to get into the book. The characters were well-drawn and well-developed. If drama is your thing, you'll love this book.

My Rating: 3.5 stars
Tim Gray
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got this book free in a Goodreads giveaway. This is not my normal genre, and it started of slow, but what gets it the high rating is that it totally drew me in. The author uses more than one viewpoint, and jumps back and forth in the timeline of the story - both devices that can go badly wrong, but here it is done skillfully and adds to the reading experience rather than detracting from it.
The characters are nicely formed - the setting is interesting - and the plot is gently developed rather tha
K.T. Munson
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Characters

Haruna is a very annoying character. I felt like the author tried too hard to make her unlikable. She doesn't really improve with the book either until right near the end. Ryu is a different story. He is very complex and well thought out. He had all the character depth that Haruna lacked. He was a shining star in this otherwise bland cast of characters.

Plot

This book tried way too hard to be mysterious. The problem is the first half of the book is so boring. I was actually not enjoying
Ankita Singh
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-books
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC copy!

Short Blurb:

Both attend Shady Glenn Academy and despite their similar "hafu" identity, they couldn't despise each other more.

Years of avoidance come to an end when a major assignment on Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice pairs them together.

Just as everything reaches a breakin
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This book took me a bit to get into, but it wasn’t as bad as others I’ve read that started out the same way. The first thing that struck me was exactly how superficial the main girl could be. It’s hard to get into a book when the character coms off as unlikable to begin with, but the good news for Haruna is that she grows and develops as the book progresses.

We also get a bit of Ryu’s perspective in the book. I will say, while the split perspective might work, it’s almost as if Ryu is the more wo
Sanna Hines
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-of-age
Who would think a shared high school English assignment could lead to a fascinating portrait of two students, superficially alike only in their half-Japanese ancestry? Dutiful, diligent Haruna pursues her studies with zeal, seeing achievement as the key to the bright future she envisions. When paired with academically apathetic Ryu, whose insolence, she thinks, is fueled by indulgent parents, she’s furious, convinced he’ll be nothing but a burden. For his part, Ryu believes Haruna is little more ...more
Sherry
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting and fun to Read! One thing I love about this book is Haruna's strong personality. I don't think I've come across a lot of books that have her character development, which is very refreshing. Melissa Abigail created Haruna in way that I had never thought possible. She is a normal girl, but with the high expectation from her Grandma, and herself, she seems to be judge by everyone, but most importantly, Ryu. He thought he knew her, but little by little he comes to find new things about ...more
Melissa Abigail
Oct 29, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Not going to leave a review, even a generic one, as others have left some of their own. But I will clarify some things about the newest edition of Judge by the Cover.

[What's New in the Second Edition]

- Some minor name changes, i.e. Devil Hafu changed to Devil Half (for simplicity & flow really); Ryan Jo Szeto is just Jo Szeto.
- Some rewriting on some scenes (because, let's be honest. I couldn't help myself)
- The library+car+living room scene in Chapter 9 is expanded. There is a bit more nuan
RachieChen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Judge by the Cover follows two teenagers leading very different lives. Yet across this duality lies undercurrents of unity; the realities of growing up and encountering major changes, as well as confronting your own internal and subtle prejudice, are realised. The author uses switching perspectives to engage the reader in a multifaceted story, allowing the reader to become immersed in the complexities of life.
Erwin Thomas
Feb 18, 2017
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I’m not entirely sure of the angle of the story here. Whether it’s a case of high school romance, a kind of rebel-and-the-swot scenario, or whether it’s a story of gang violence, and the way that gangs can swallow vulnerable kids whole.

It could, of course, be both. But the main reason that I’ve pulled these two elements apart is that there’s a very noticeable shift mid-way through the novel from one to the other. I’d have liked to have seen the chapters at the orphanage spread out much more, so
Carro Herdegen
Betty
Yesenia
Suki
Nov 26, 2016

Melissa Abigail was born in the southern U.S.A. to South American parents, lived in the borough of Brooklyn, N.Y., and was raised in the suburbs of southern Ontario. A citizen of the world, she’s managed to fit in nowhere in particular but everywhere at the same time. A lifelong writer, creator and artist, she embraces thought-provoking ideas and diversity in film, fiction & life.
More about Melissa Abigail

Hafu Sans Halo (2 books)
  • Two Halves Whole (Hafu Sans Halo, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“You'll never understand someone if you can't stop assuming you already know everything about them.” 1 likes
“We are the Lost Boys and this is our Neverland; our escape from everyone else's reality.
A place where good is bad and bad is necessary.
A place where the only identity that counts, is the one we give ourselves.”
1 likes