Start by marking “Teaching with the Brain in Mind” as Want to Read:
Teaching with the Brain in Mind

Teaching with the Brain in Mind

This completely revised and updated ASCD best-seller is loaded with ideas for how to improve student achievement and create a more effective classroom by applying brain research to your teaching. Renowned author and educator Eric Jensen translates the latest scientific findings into effective instructional strategies, including: Why to start every class with opening activi ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 186 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with the Brain in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with the Brain in Mind

Janet Ott
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any educator or school administrator and parents
Recommended to Janet by: I found his work by looking up brain research in education on the internet
Eric Jensen's books are mostly terrific, though I would love some more detail in the implementation aspect. As a neurophysiologist, I know the brain stuff, what I'm looking for is how to put the whole thing in action. I would like to see a style that more parallels the book Classroom Instruction that Works, where that team uses clear and detailed examples from a class in a variety of fields and levels so you can see how to put their stuff into action. Jensen has a lot of theory, but not a lot of ...more
Ross
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I find appreciation in the brain research on classroom and instruction. The chapters leading up to the application were focused on brain research and brain function. I was able to apply the concepts to my classroom or students especially on rewards and motivation, that was helpful. Jensen's research was thorough, more than I needed, but helpful to lay the foundation for understanding. I wish there would have been more application of the research versus depth of research.

Educators read this book
Karen Letourneau
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in 2006, just before completing my masters in literacy. It was around this time I became much more interested in neuroscience, an interest that continues today. While reading it, I remember frequently wondering why we hadn't learned the concepts presented in this book in our undergraduate teaching programs. Thirteen years later, I still highly recommend this book.
Duong Tan
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tôi rất thích những thứ thứ thuộc về Jean Piaget giai đoạn cuối khi ông phát triển một thứ tri thức luận dựa trên sự hiểu biết đầy đủ về hoạt động sinh lí của con người (tri thức học sinh-triển - genetic epistemology ). Trong vòng một hai hai thập kỉ gần đây, cac nhà nghiên cứu về não bộ ngày càng hiểu rõ thêm về não bộ của con người, dần dần cho thấy những ý tưởng của Piaget là thiết thực . Và đương nhiên, các nhà giáo không thể làm ngơ trước những tiến bộ khoa học này. Việc vận dụng những hiểu ...more
Megan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has good information, but I agree with many of the other reviews in that it does not give very many practical examples of how to apply this research in the classroom. I think How the Brain Learns was much more interesting to read, had more information, and gave more examples on how to apply the information. If you are interested in just methods on applying these studies, Green Light Classrooms is the book for you. I teach at the high school level and both of these books changed my teac ...more
Katie
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and easy read and helped me sound smart at parent teacher conferences. A great book for teachers!
Michael Loveless
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain, education
I should begin my comments by saying that I read the original version of Teaching with the Brain in Mind, which has been now updated. I found it at Half Price Books and was pretty far into it before I realized there was a newer version. The book offered a lot of information about the physiology of learning (more than I really needed or wanted), quite a few concepts about learning that were interesting, and many specific suggestions about teaching techniques. Of these three elements, the specific ...more
Aadel Bussinger
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although it could be organized a little better, this is one of the best books I've read on learning. Each chapter gives practical suggestions on creating an environment that works with the brain, not against it. Many of the routines and traditions found in schools are in direct opposition to the current knowledge about how the brain works.
Megan
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read for educators! It was a required reading assignment in my graduate program, and it really changed my understand of how students process information. Helped me grow tremendously as an educator.
Tahni
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I know this isn't the latest edition but the information, theories, ideas, and suggestions this contains are nonetheless wonderful. Definitely a good place to start even if you don't have access to later editions.
Joe Petty
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and to the point, left me with more questions than answers, but that is what good books do.
Stacy  Natal
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Definitely one of the better books related to teaching that I've read in a long time. It's full of practical information relating to how we can help our students' brains to grow.

New learnings:

Left/right brained personality is out of date. Left/sequential/part to whole doesn't always translate to logic and right/whole to part doesn't always translate to artistic inclination etc...

Once students habituate to a signal, it's time to change to something new.

It takes up to six hours to complete forma
Marika Gillis
Teaching with the Brain in Mind is a terrific resource for teachers who are trying to maximize the use of their time with students... to get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak. This book explores ideas about how the brain works; how movement, emotional states, physical environments, etc. can affect student learning. There is a lot of background knowledge about the structure and function of the different parts of the brain that I found interesting, but might be a bit heavy for some readers. ...more
Liz
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
Teacher book about using brain research to inform teaching. Found out that a lot of what I already do is, in-fact, compatible with brain-research. But I also learned some new things like the link between movement and brain activity, the importance of emotions on the brain, and how boy brains and girl brains operate differently based on both nature and nurture. What I particularly liked about this book is that every chapter had a list of "practical suggestions" for educators. Because of this, I w ...more
Liz
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very helpful. It explains neuroscience research on learning in a way that is easy to understand and provides some type of application for just about every theory or piece of research presented. While the applications could benefit from more detailed explanations, they are a good jumping off point for implementing ideas in the classroom. It was nice to read this and get reinforcement for a lot of things I already do, along with ideas for additional improvements in my own practice. It ...more
Bethany Robinson
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The research in this books was very interesting. I tried implementing the longer increments of brain down time(recess) to thirty minutes which worked wonderfully for my students. I also agreed with many of their strategies on how to improve student learning. It specified the importance of making sure children DO NOT become frustrated while learning. This was an exceptional read suggested by a dear friend of mine.
Stacey
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great resource, relevant in the classroom and full of practical suggestions. In some ways it feels like operating instructions for students. One of the ideas I appreciated the most was the need to give students settling time. This is time where students are not learning anything new, they are resting, but their brains are still working to process the information.
Terry Michaels
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with children, teachers, life-long learners
This book is easy to understand and has practical suggestions on how to apply teaching to the science of brain development and learning. It is written so traditional classroom teachers who need their students to use memorization techniques, etc. can apply brain research to their teaching methods. He touches on some good points that suggest reform.
Alex T.
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Rather than focus on cognitive psychology and theory, Dr. Eric Jensen provides a text that is both in-depth and accessible as he describes the biology of the brain and how it impacts learning. Knowing this, teachers are challenged to adapt their pedagogy to meet the needs of students based on what their brains are capable of doing.
Cynthia
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Keep them moving. This book teaches about the latest brain research as it relates to teaching. I would suggest it to any teacher at any level. Actually, I'd suggest it to parents as well. We're learning more and more about how our brains work. This book gives background and techniques for improving student achievement. Definitely worth reading.
Amy
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Okay, this was assigned reading for work. Dont get me wrong I liked the information and agreed with the authors premise, however I wish there something more to it. It through out tons on data and what you could do but it felt like it was missing that one thing to make using it realistic. So many ofmthe suggestions were things outside of my control.
Leigh Aultman
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a future in education
Shelves: education
It is amazing what neuroscience has taught in the past 5 years about how we learn. This resource presents complex concepts in a highly accessible manner. Basic brain anatomy, how the brain changes over time, how positive and negative emtions affect the brain..and much more are included in this easy to read book.
Beth Lind
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Great information but nothing earth shattering within these pages. I guess I knew more about brain based learning than I knew. I did like the research and I'll probably share some of that with the faculty at school.
Matthew
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Solid book on the brain science behind many aspects of teaching. Scary how much our brains and our ability to learn are affected by the first five years of our lives.

Excellent continuation of my understanding of the brain and learning. I look forward to reading Jensen's next book.
D.Lee Sebree
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A lot of information on the brain and how we learn. I learned a lot, but wish there had been a guide to help teachers focus on a few really strategic things they could do in class, NOW. Students return in 15 days!
Sirpa Grierson
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Every teacher (and parent) should read this book. Absolutely fascinating, with so many practical suggestions and facts about how the brain learns. Jensen has done a marvelous job of distilling information from the latest brain research. Much better than the first edition that I read in 1999!
Christine
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book will validate what many teachers already do in the classroom. It has practical, useable suggestions and Mr. Jensen should be the Secretary of Education.
Lacey
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers and moms
Recommended to Lacey by: My ESL Teacher
It talks about currently brain research and how it relates to learning. I thought it was pretty interesting to read about how the brain works. I still have a couple chapters left.
Alex
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent textbook; definitely recommend to anyone who teaches.
Ana Laura Zanfranceschi
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting book. To get you thinking and reconsidering most of your teaching practices. Worth reading.
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!