Start by marking “The Library of Fates” as Want to Read:
The Library of Fates

The Library of Fates

No one is entirely certain what brings the Emperor Sikander to Shalingar. Until now, the idyllic kingdom has been immune to his many violent conquests. To keep the visit friendly, Princess Amrita has offered herself as his bride, sacrificing everything—family, her childhood love, and her freedom—to save her people. But her offer isn't enough.

The unthinkable happens, and Am
Published July 18th 2017 by Razorbill

Start your review of The Library of Fates
High Lady of The Night Court
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
The world needs more things like this, simple, beautiful, and amazing.

“The world is alive with mysteries, and that in order to understand them, one must first learn to be still, to listen, and the world will unveil itself to you, as though it was waiting to do so all along.”

“I don’t believe that anyone is more powerful than anyone else. I believe that anyone can change. I believe there are mysteries built over even more powerful mysteries, and it takes lifetimes to unearth them.”

Think th
Samantha
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This had so many good ideas but all of them were so surface level when I wanted to know so much more!
Romie
I’m so emotional right now. I didn’t expect to love this book the way I did. I expected to like it, sure, but not to fall head over heels in love with it.

In this story, we follow Amrita, princess of Shalingar, betrothed to Sikandar, the despotic ruler of Macedon . . . the same guy who ends up killing his former best friend, Amrita’s father.
In her journey to find a way to change the past, Amrita meets Thala, a seer, and this is where the story truly begins.

Can you tell already I’m having a hard t
Stacee
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
As soon as I saw the comparison to The Star Touched Queen and The Wrath and the Dawn, I was intrigued and had high expectations...sadly I was sort of disappointed.

Amrita and Thala are decent enough MCs. For a Princess on the run and a previously enslaved Seer, I figured there would be some fire, yet they're both sort of bland on the page. Varun is easily the best part of the story for various reasons, but I won't spoil anything.

Plot wise, I loved the idea of this and the idea of it is probably
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I read an excerpt on NetGalley and it captivated me immediately, so I decided to read the book. I am a puddle of disappointment, to say the least. I was unbelievably bored and the opposite of invested in the characters' fates and the world. With the tale of the trees being chopped down at the start, Khorana also clearly advocates for climate change and nature awareness, which sounds amazing, doesn't it? Unfortunately, this book was a balloon of hot air – there is no other way to describe it.

The
Keertana
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I ordered my first book box because The Library of Fates was included in it. Quarterly's YA box featured Aditi Khorana's latest, along with two other books of her choosing, a letter, notes in the novel, and even bookish goodies. I was so, so desperate to love this book--and I genuinely thought I would love it, otherwise I would never have bought it!--so it really hurts me to admit that The Library of Fates did not impress.

I love the concept behind this novel and the mythology and lore in the sto
chloe ♡
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own

I just finished reading this book and now I have no idea what to type because this book stunned me so much.

Update: *takes a deep breath* Oh hey, I'm back. Don't worry, I'm going to write a review. Continue reading.

What I liked:
The Author's Note really touched me. Aditi Khorana talked about equality for all. Being Asian and female myself, I could really relate to what she wrote. Her writing is beautiful and I was captivated from the very beginning.

And we will. Because we're not brok
alice (arctic books)
That was, well, unexpected. It was full of twists and turns, fate and love. RTC.
Acqua
The Library of Fates is a standalone fantasy book inspired by Indian and Macedonian history. It's set in the fantasy kingdom of Shalingar, whose princess Amrita is going to marry Emperor Sikander for political reasons - but even that may be too little to stop him from conquering her kingdom.

What drew me to this book - apart from the beautiful cover - was the writing: the author's note at the beginning was wonderful, and the chapter right after, which is a fairytale/prologue, almost made me tear
Aila
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review can be found on Happy Indulgence.

Thank you Penguin for the review copy!

With a lush, opulent world, breathtaking plot, and endearing heroine, The Library of Fates was a wonderful read. I think the mention of The Star-Touched Queen in the blurb is very apt for this one - I can see aspects reminiscent of the former, and not just because of the foundation of Indian folklore for both worlds. No doubt, fantasy readers will adore The Library of Fates and the journey that Amrita embarks on.
Bitchin' Reads
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that plants a seed of trailing, growing thoughts into your mind. It made me question how I view conflict in my life and how to better identify the moments in which something went wrong and how to correct the wrong. It's also a beautiful story with interconnected story lines you would not expect. True to the author's heritage, I believe she captured that amazing and rich culture well with this story.

Aditi Khorana, thank you for writing this morsel of a story. And thank
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“I didn’t know then what I know now: that everything - my father, this moment, every experience that molds and shapes us - is ephemeral, evaporating into the air before we have a chance to grasp onto it, before we can truly even understand what it means.”

The Library of Fates is an emotionally gripping and magically captivating read. Filled with a rich culture and endearing characters, Aditi Khorana’s world is vividly brought to life. We follow Princess Amrita as she goes on a journey to fin
Heidi Heilig
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A troubled kingdom--an inescapable fate--ancient mythology--that's basically everything I ever wanted in a book.

Open LIBRARY OF FATES and be transported to the mythical, magical country of Shalingar, where mystical vetalas, troubled oracles, irreverent goddesses, and megalomaniacal kings battle for control of love, fate, and an addictive substance called chamack. Amrita must unravel the mysteries of her past to save her kingdom, but in doing so, she herself might come unraveled. The twists and t
Jenny Baker
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2018

Update: I decided to round this up rather than down, because two days later, I'm still thinking about this story and characters. The last third of the book was at least four stars.
Taryn
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Amrita is being forced into marriage with a much older monarch from a backward-thinking kingdom. She and her childhood love hatch a plot to run away together before the wedding, but Amrita’s destiny turns out to be a whole lot bigger than escaping into obscurity with a boy.

Pro tip: the Author’s Note alone is worth the price of admission. It’s at the beginning of the book, don’t skip it!

More book recommendations by me at www.readingwithhippos.com
TJ
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
"It takes...a recognition that you'll never be the hero of the story"
"So you choose to be the monster"

Do you know the big D that I keep on having but I didn't like? It's the big DISAPPOINTMENT. This book has such a lovely cover that I cannot not read it. It already pulled me in with just looking at the cover, and the title is so enticing, it's saying: COME HERE AND READ ME.

So, I did.

And oh, what a big freaking disappointment. The writing is good but everything else was just upsettin
Danielle
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
4.5/5
review to follow
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Rating:★★★★ 4 Stars

FULL REVIEW CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON LAIR OF BOOKS: https://lairofbooksblog.wordpress.com...

*HUGE thanks to Penguin/Razorbill & Aditi Khorana for the eGalley copy of The Library of Fates in exchange for an honest opinion

PLOT

he Library of Fates took me on a journey full of growing pains, sacrifice, friendship, and fated love against the backdrop of a vibrant colorful land full of hope. The introduction to this story starts with the very special bond between father and daughter. Pri
kav (xreadingsolacex)
THE LIBRARY OF FATES is the book I've wanted my whole life. A novel that Western society is excited about that is based on Indian mythology, with an Indian setting, and Indian characters - A.K.A. perfection.

At first, I was thinking - this'll be a four star read, but as I went further into the novel, I discovered the amazing plot the author developed that just blew me away. I don't want to get too much into it as to avoid spoilers, but trust me, the story she carves is one that you don't want to
ri.
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5

The cover is absolutely lovely - I love the pink-to-purple ombre! Inside, The Library of Fates tells the story of a girl shaken from her everyday life; the entrance of a tyrant; reincarnation and a race to rescue her family and her kingdom. The incorporation of Indian mythology is rich and immersive, and though the story isn't anything new, the writing is quiet and beautiful and draws its own course. And as for the plot? The Library of Fates read as a gorgeous fairytale of sorts, an adventur
christina
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Star-Touched Queen +The Wrath and the Dawn
This was pretty entertaining, but the ending was really weird and I don't know how I feel about it? The world building was good in this book, and if you liked A Star-Touched Queen you will probably enjoy this book.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Emperor Sikander has turned his sights on Shalingar, the country of his friend and decided he will wed the man's daughter. She is not certain she can accept that outcome but it does give her the opportunity to learn about her mother who disappeared when she was born. Setting events into motion Amrita is on the run with the oracle Thala, a slave to Sikander and the drug chamak to find the Library of All Things where one can change their fate. Alo
ellie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: desi-af, 2017-release
"You were so concerned about causing others pain that you squelched your own needs. Don't ever do that again. Take the risk, and don't look back. You have a good heart and your instincts are good. You'll always think about others; it's your nature. But you can't help others if you don't help yourself first."

The reason I love this so much is how much of Indian culture was in it. I can't tell you how much I was smiling at reading stupid things like "the pallu of my sari" because it's just clothing
Susana
Two stars in my "dictionary" means that it was readable, not that I liked it.
Because I didn't...
FRC
(...)

The thing with book comparisons is that sometimes you are left wondering if they didn't get the wrong book... like when someone decided to say that the Star Touched Queen was the perfect read for people who loved Calaena, "I am going to kill you all... not"
PLEASE. -_-

Look, I am a avid The Star-Touched Queen fan. I loved the writing, the story, the whole Indian mythology; that means that I had
Taylor Knight
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
The plot and concept of this book slayed my life. I loved the plot (and cover) of this book so much! The Library of Fates has such a stunning concept and I fell so in love with it. I also really loved the Indian culture that was incorporated into this book. It was really beautiful and I thought it added so much to the story.

I liked the main character, Amrita, well enough. I adored her friendship with Thala. It was so great to see an awesome fictional friendship between two girls.

I really liked t
Rae
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after contemplating how I felt after reading this book, I think I have come to grasp what I feel about it. The writing was beautiful. I loved the Parable of the Land of Trees. I really really want to read a story just about that parable!!!

The first half of the book was extremely descriptive and had a lot of backstory. I loved the descriptions of the land of Shalingar, it seemed so beautiful and vibrant. The relationship between Amrita and her father was touching. You can feel that they care
Krysti
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has so much intellectual depth, which is exactly what I was expecting from Aditi after reading MIRROR IN THE SKY. Aditi begins writing her books by focusing in on the themes she wants to include in the story, and in THE LIBRARY OF FATES, we really get to explore the ideas of fate, destiny, and the path not taken. There is also some commentary on refugeeism and the utter devastation and challenges that come along with truly losing absolutely everything.

I loved the tone and imaginative
Ana Yarí
2020 update:

I'm reading 20 of my favorite books this year (because hindsight is 20/20) and even though I only read The Library of Fates three years ago (funny enough it was around this same time) I still wanted to revisit it. Three years ago I finished this book at a coffee shop and loved the ending so much I hugged it right then and there. It really touched me in a way few books do. I'll always remember it fondly. So it was nice to revisit it and know that it still evokes that sentiment in me
pi
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.5/5

This is a beautiful and original fantasy book based on Indian folklore, and it's so refreshing to read a story that reflects Eastern traditions. It's also very interesting to read a YA novel that explores colonialism and intersectional feminism. So please, don't sleep on this book! Give it a chance and you won't regret it!!

My favourite thing about this book is that Aditi Khorana presents a strong female main character who wants to choose her own future (and she does!), but she
Sarah K
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 200 pages in.

I wanted to love this. The cover is amazing and it's Indian fantasy! I keep reading Indian fantasies but many of them have let me down.

This book is about Amrita who is the daughter of the ruler of her land. There's a bad guy Sikander that basically wants to rule everything and is by force taking nations. His plan is to take Amrita as his bride. He has been friends with Amrita's dad many years in the past.

Things really fall apart and she escapes with an oracle, Thala.

The wri

• Death and Night (The Star-Touched Queen, #0.5)
  • The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)
  • A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2)
  • Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
  • Star Daughter
  • Eden Conquered (Dividing Eden, #2)
  • Burning Kingdoms (The Internment Chronicles, #2)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha #2)
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • The Book of Hidden Wonders
  • The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)
  • The Magic Fish
  • Conjured
  • Verbrannte Erde (Izara #4)
  • Casa Largo Mystery
  • Kind of a Big Deal
  • Love at First Fight (Dimple and Rishi, #2.5)

News & Interviews

“I thought about how many elements it took to create the simplest of things - a pink sky an unusually perfect day, a happy family, a deep friendship, a moment of pure delight. I wondered, too, what it took to undo these things. It seemed to me that undoing something was far easier than creating it.” 8 likes
“It was a second. A blink. The flap of a bird's wing, the moment it takes to say hello, or goodbye. So quickly that it made me think of all the insignificant seconds that we throw away. And all the seconds that we don't too. The seconds that we hold on to, that we return to... I considered the fact that all it takes is a second for life to completely change.” 5 likes