Start by marking “Something Missing” as Want to Read:
Something Missing

Something Missing

Diane, an uneducated young Australian mother meets by chance, Maggie, a sophisticated American poet. Their pen-friendship changes both their lives. Everything, from age, class and nationality seems to separate them but both are struggling to cope with personal issues. Maggie is trapped in a marriage involving infidelity and rape, as well as grieving for her eldest daughter ...more
Paperback, 1st, 260 pages
Published December 11th 2016 by Madeglobal

Start your review of Something Missing
Marie-Antoinette
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win this book in a Giveaway here on Goodreads and I must admit that I really enjoyed this book a lot. What drew my most to enter the giveaway??"Their pen-friendship will change them forever."

I absolutely love writing letters to my penfriends and I have made so many wonderful friends through the years. Sadly I know that I will not be at privileged as Diane and Maggie to ever meet any of them. the finances doesn't allow for it...but meeting them in our letters is amazing and
Andy Goss
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two people, two generations, one Australian suburban, the other American academic, connect by chance. Over the decades and across the seas the connection matures as their lives change. Their friendship brings strength and inspiration to both, is tested, and endures.
Characterisation is deft, evolving over time, and in ways that the characters do not perhaps anticipate.
This novel is composed like a painting, or perhaps like a sequence of paintings, the characters depicted and deployed
Wendy Dunn
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The poet Muriel Rukeyser once said: ‘What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open’. Something Missing is a work that confronts you with truths about the lives of women, and how the truth can indeed split open the world of one’s own life. Beautifully and powerfully told, in Something Missing, the reader embarks on a journey.

Born in a time when women were expected to leave school early to marry, Diane is a young, Australian wife, mother and hairdresser
Garvie D. Soren
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational, moving and at times heartbreaking, I was sold on the complexity of these two women from the first page and was satisfied with every page after.
I would definitely read it again if my family stopped stealing the books I talk about......
PHILLIP
Dec 31, 2018
Grace Morris
Feb 17, 2017
Julie Ausbrook
May 08, 2017
L.E. Truscott
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Glenice Whitting is the master of character studies. I’ve read both of her novels now (the latest being Something Missing, the first being Pickle to Pie) and if there’s one thing she surpasses almost all other writers in, it’s unravelling the intricacies of people living ordinary lives.

In Something Missing, the two main characters living ordinary lives are Diane and Maggie. Diane is Australian, a hairdresser, has a daughter from her first marriage, is onto her second marriage and is
Lydia Fucsko