Start by marking “Fragile Chaos (Forgotten Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fragile Chaos (Forgotten Gods, #1)

Fragile Chaos (Forgotten Gods, #1)

A god of war seeking restoration.
An unwilling sacrificial bride.
Betrayal that could destroy them both.

Theodric, the young God of War, has a talent for inciting conflict and bloodshed. After being stripped of his powers by his older brother, King of Gods, he sets out to instigate a mortal war to prove himself worthy of being restored.

Sixteen-year-old Cassia, like many in th
Published November 9th 2017 by RadiantTeen (first published July 11th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Fragile Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fragile Chaos

Start your review of Fragile Chaos (Forgotten Gods, #1)
Candace Robinson
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, I wanted to read this because of the whole mythological aspect. It had me at War God! I also absolutely loved the prequel short story!

Theo and Cassia, what can I say? I loved them! Theo was a complex character that slowly built his way into my heart while Cassia ripped it out from the beginning with her incredible strength. Their chemistry was great!

I could feel each and every emotion with Cassia when she became a sacrifice. From there I followed an intriguing story that I wasn't able to
Ri v
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I RECEIVED A FREE ARC FOR THE BLOG TOUR*

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be participating in the blog tour!!! First of all can we all take a minute to appreciate this gorgeous cover!? It was what first drew my attention and i'm so glad i got the chance to read this book.

War is everywhere and Theo, the god of War is on a mission to prove his self worth to his siblings. Cassia, orphan and sister to a traitor, is left to wander the streets of Kisk but she never believed th
Cal (Cal's Reading Corner)
YOOO I JUST WON A FREE EBOOK COPY! WOOOOOOOO! I never win anything!!
Bethany
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Cassia is unwillingly sacrificed to the War God, she's shocked when it's someone she's already met. Theo doesn't want a sacrificial bride because he doesn't want to be forced to choose sides in this war. As the War God, he needs to remain neutral. But when he catches a glimpse of Cassia's face, he can't deliver the final blow to send her to the Netherworld.

There's something between the two that keeps pulling Cassia and Theo together no matter how much friction there is. Not to mention Cassi
Helen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun. A family of gods squabbling; two countries at war; god of war distracted by a sacrifice.

I kept reverting to ancient Greece for my setting and clothes, very inaccurate of me!
K.S. Marsden
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readers-favorite
Reviewed by K S Marsden for Readers' Favorite

Theo is the god of war and, despite some sibling rivalry, he is in his element as three nations are pushed towards destruction. War is all he has ever known, until a chance encounter with a young girl changes centuries of ambition. The narration of this story is split equally between Theo, a god who looks about 17 years old, and has been influencing wars and conflicts for centuries, and Cassia, a 16-year-old girl whose family were victims of the curre
Jordan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn’t realize how much I’ve been missing YA takes on mythology until I picked up this book and could not put it down. Filled with folklore, violence, epic battles, and tons of drama, Fragile Chaos is a gripping thrill ride.

The mythology. This is a different take on traditional god and goddesses, but still fueled by rivalries, lies, intrigue, and all the competition that comes between siblings. I loved that so much depended on tributes to the gods, sacrifices, and political games. The atmosph
Christina Bauer
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great romance and KICK ASS WORLD BUILDING!!! This author came up with her own pantheon of gods and goddesses (somewhat greco-roman but who cares) and put them in modern times. Plus, there's a whole 'girl who's a sacrifice to a god who then fall in love with said god and vice-versa' thing that I enjoyed greatly. AWESOMESAUCE!!! READ THIS!!!
Paige Green
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Rating: 3/5

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 15+ (some mature scenes, death, war, the usual lol).

I received a free copy of this book from KidLitExchange in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. If you’re interested in joining, please check out our new website!

A GOD OF WAR SEEKING RESTORATION. AN UNWILLING SACRIFICIAL BRIDE. BETRAYAL THAT COULD DESTROY THEM BOTH. “Every fiber of my being is woven from the rage of mortals.” Theodric, the young God of War, has a talent for incitin
Olivia Chanel's Stories in Space
Thank you so much, Amber R. Duell, for my eARC of Fragile Chaos and the chance to read and review your book early. I really appreciate the opportunity.

Fragile Chaos is a book I’m in love with and I’m so happy I had the opportunity to read this one early. It took me a while to get into the story but once I was in, there was no going back for me. The entire concept of Fragile Chaos intrigued me and while I was scared it wouldn’t deliver I can definitely say it did and then some. The story follows
Elizabeth "Liza"
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-jul
I love mythology and when I read the blurb for Fragile Chaos, I couldn’t help but added to my TBR list. It did not disappoint.

You get the gist of the story from reading the blurb, so I will not repeat it all again. I will add that the story takes place in a made up world that felt very modern at heart. All the gods are siblings and they have powers similar to Greek mythology (King, War, Nature, Sea, Love, Netherworld). Each of the gods live in a realm with the “in between” in the middle (sort of
Bryn Coape-Arnold
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a world torn apart by war, one young woman learns that the gods are as real as she is...and they hold all the power.

16 year old Cassia's world has been torn apart - her brother was hanged for treason and her parents were killed in a bomb attack, both part of a war that has destroyed her home country of Kisk. When she unwittingly becomes a sacrifice to gods she doesn't believe in, she learns far more about this war than she ever dreamed of.

Theodric, the God of War, is intent on proving himself
Kimberly
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you @kidlitexchange for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own.

I was anxious to read this new young adult book once I read the description and saw that it contained a bit of mythology. I think that's definitely a subject that is lacking in this genre/age range and open to so much interpretation! Like Greek mythology, this book contains characters that are all siblings who control six various realms: King of Gods, War, Love, Death, Life and Water.
Nannah
Ahh, I wish I liked this better! I feel as if I almost know this author (a friend of a friend, nearly). It came highly recommended, so I was really excited!

I loved the worldbuilding for sure, but it was the main relationship that left me feeling lukewarm. Since that was such a large part of the novel, it played a huge part of my overall opinion of the book.

Book content warnings
genocide (discussed)
unhealthy relationships

Cassia is a girl unwillingly sacrificed to Theo, the God of War. Theo is tryi
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Mythology, gods, goddesses, war, peace, conflict, betrayal, sacrifice, . . . more?

Theo was young and determined to prove himself and his place among the gods. Cassia was not so much a believer in the gods but a sacrifice to them. The war of her country has precipitated much unrest both on Earth and in the heavens.

I found much to pull my interest with each moment spent listening to the audio. The story was not over the top drowned down by the heaviness that could have consumed it. There were lig
Hazel
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. this book made me so frustrated and anxious and i dont even know why. i think a big reason is the dual perspectives which give the reader insight so we know when misunderstandings happen which is a trope i DESPISE. its why i hate shakespeare so much. any time plot advancements happen that could have been avoided if the characters just talked to each other i die a little inside and that happened a Lot here. loved theo tho. hes done nothing wrong ever and i love him. ok bye.
Louisa
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! I enjoyed the world and the characters! And it came together so well! Really enjoyable!
Kester Nucum
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks so much to the author for sending me a free electronic review copy in exchange for an honest review. This will not affect my review in any way.

I had really high expectations for Fragile Chaos the first time I encountered both the book and the author. The premise intrigued me very much, and I was really interested by the infusion of mythology along with romance and action. While this fantasy certainly had many strong points—such as its world-building—it felt a bit short of my expectations.
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
In a land riddled with war sixteen-year-old, Cassia is just trying to survive and discover where or if her brother is still alive when a mysterious being enters her life. Theo is the god of war and from the beginning seems intrigued by Cassia but then the unthinkable happens and Cassia is soon offered up as a sacrifice to the god of war it changes everything.

The story line is this, Theodric [Theo] is stripped of his powers by his elder brother and King of the gods, Ebris. He must prove himself t
Jenny Yergin
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received this as an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Fragile Chaos is Percy Jackson for high school students or young adults! I love reading about mythology so the retelling of Cupid and Psyche fit this perfectly. In this story you see the gods in a slightly futuristic setting and almost everyone thinks the gods are a myth. The main characters are the god of war and a female human sacrifice, Cassia. A story full of romance, betrayal, and chaos is sure to attract those teens that enjoyed
Kati
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This mash up of modern times and mythology combines elements of Beauty & the Beast and Hades & Persephone to create a totally original retelling. I loved this book, the imagery, the worlds, the characters, it all worked so well.

Cassia is a sixteen-year-old girl who is unwillingly sacrificed to the God of War and forced to live in The Realm of the Gods and Goddesses. She is a strong female character dumped in an unfamiliar world and slowly navigates this world and learns more about the people aro
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
You can see my full review here!

I bought this on a whim, not expecting much yet I enjoyed myself. Usually, mythology type books are over saturated with romance (like... it's too much), but while there was a main plot of romance, other things happened that kept me interested.

Told in dual POV, it starts off with the ground running, introducing us to our character and their quirks real quick. Speaking of the characters, Cassie and Theo separately were amazing. Cassie wasn't a damsel in distress, d
Susan
This story started off strong, pulling me in right away. Cassia, a 16 year old orphan, is stuck in a war torn land. The gods are not listening to all the prayers calling for an end to the fighting. Cassia must make do with her own wits and abilities, scrounging clothing, food, and warmth as best she can. While the tale is set in a fictional world, it has a modern-day feel to it. There’s sneakers and highways and tank tops and such. Toss in deities walking the land, and I was hooked.

Cassia then b
Liv the Jellyfish Queen
Gods don't exist. They're fairy tales created thousands of years ago by people desperate for something to believe in.

Yeah, well, Cassia, you've got thrown for a loop!

Fragile Chaos.

I feel like I start every other review of mine with "I don't know something". But to my credit, there's a whole lot going on in Fragile Chaos.
There's war (but sidelined, because love story), your local douchebag-but-he's-hot-so-it's-cool love interest, an outsider protagonist, five hundred people hanging around at
Carla
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This was an AMAZING audiobook from the start, I was hooked and could not stop listening. It was full of power, strength, romance and myth - everything I love and more.

The setting takes place in a mythical world with people praying and sacrificing to the Gods but so many of them have actually forgotten the Gods themselves or have dreamed up a different version of the Gods in their own minds. Cassia is a young woman who is betrayed by her country who view her as an enemy. Her parents are gone and
Lilly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
You're the only war I can't win. The only war I don't want to.

I came across Fragile Chaos when I was looking for books with a POC as the lead character. The blurb promised a story that involved gods and goddesses. Being a mythology fan, that intrigued me, so I purchased the book. And boy, I’m glad I did.

The story starts right in the middle of a war, with Theo (as the God of War himself) trying to take things in control. He meets Cassia later on and finds himself drawn to her. They part ways
Lilly Charysma
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, I love mythology and all that comes with this subject. To combine mythology with present times is risky if not more. One has to be very skilled with writing, so that the story does not flow into ridiculous. But, with this book I felt the joy of reading about gods and their wars and passions for humans. The author did a great job describing the plot and intertwining mythological aspects with our mortal lives.
The story plunges directly into action. We don’t get a moment to spare and I
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received an Audible coupon for this title from AudioBookWorm Book Tours. This does not affect my review*

This book...THIS BOOK. I really really want another book in this world! I love the mythology created, and how everything is original, but the characters feel like old friends! Ok, so it wasn't my favorite mythology of the year or even favorite read, but I love the world building and characters, and would gladly be pulled back into this universe!

I *did* have a problem with the romance being
Kathie Nguyen
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The plot of it drew me in right away. I had really high expectations of it, and in some areas it excelled but others, it fell short.

The authors descriptive writing is phenomenal in painting the scene and allowing you to feel what the characters feel. That’s probably what impressed me most about the book.

The plot, I felt didn’t fully develop as well as I wish it would’ve. There wasn’t much background information on how Theodric lost his powers, or how these gods came to be. I wish there was more
Kalyn Josephson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fragile Chaos takes place in a wonderfully re-imagined world of myths and gods. It begins in the war-torn fictional country of Kisk, where 16 yo Cassia is scarified by her countrymen to the God of War. Which sounds like the end of a novel, but in actuality serves for the beginning of an original take on the "afterlife" and the gods that rule it.

Things take off pretty quickly at the beginning of the novel, and although the action slows down a bit after that, the characters and their interactions
Goodreads Librari...: Help changing default cover 2 14 Aug 05, 2020 11:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Delete Cover Help 8 19 Aug 04, 2020 11:00PM

• Thickerella (Faded Fairytales #1)
  • A Song Below Water
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Genesis (Memory of Fire, #1)
  • Faces and Masks (Memory of Fire, #2)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • The Books of Magic
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Academically Diverse Classrooms
  • Tongue-Tied: The Lives of Multilingual Children in Public Education
  • Educational Psychology
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)
  • The Crescent Stone (The Sunlit Lands #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
Amber R. Duell is a native of Central New York but currently lives in Mississippi with her husband and two sons. She survives on caffeine and baked goods. When not reading or writing, she enjoys snowboarding, embroidering, staying up way too late to research genealogy, and discovering real-life adventures.