Start by marking “And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)” as Want to Read:
And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)

And the Rest is History

(The Chronicles of St Mary's #8)

No one knows quite how, but Max and her baby are safe at last.

No one knows quite how, but Peterson has persuaded Dr Foster to marry him.

No one knows quite how, but Markham’s marital status remains unknown.

Certainly no one knows quite how a twelve-foot-high teapot could mysteriously materialise on the South Lawn, but it does.

But they do know that Clive Ronan is back.

They do
Published July 18th 2017 by Night Shade Books (first published April 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about And the Rest is History, please sign up.
Lynette A. O'Brien Yes, absolutely. And once you read the first, you'll be hooked. It's a marvelous series.
Lotta Andersson I was so surprised. It said July 18th here on Goodreads but it's available as both Kindle and paperback from both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk as of…moreI was so surprised. It said July 18th here on Goodreads but it's available as both Kindle and paperback from both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk as of now. (less)

Bradley
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a nightmare of a book. Truly.

I mean first you're already so heavily invested in these characters and then Jodi Taylor puts you through hell: the panini press, the cheese grater, and sets the oven at a temperature way too high for the meal at hand.

For all the laughs the author pulled off, and they were really quite great, and the really awesome history bits (because these ARE time-travelling historians seeing the real stuff up close), Taylor also has a knack with DESTROYING US, THE READER
Richard Derus
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***THIS TITLE IS IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS! VOTE IT IN!***

Rating: 4.5* of five

I am knackered. While Author Taylor didn't kiss it better at the end of the book, we're getting there and now I have to wait an entire stinkin' year for the next book. I can't even push down the keys from the tired. I'll write a review one day soon.

**MANY DAYS LATER**

I don't see, after reading through the reviews here, what I have to add to the discussion of this hatefully painfully achingly fun
Robin (Bridge Four)
Gah….how do I rate this?

description

On one hand this was a completely engaging story that really wrapped all of my emotions up in a tangle and at times I couldn’t put the book down desperate to get to the next part in the story. But then at other times I didn’t want to go on because it hurt so much and I didn’t know if I could take anymore.

description

In the end I’m going to do the 4.5 Stars because while I’m not super happy about where the story went and some of the contrivances to get there I was thoroughly wrapped
Choko
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
*** 4 ***

This was... very painful! I am sure that Ms. Jodi Taylor is a very nice, very smart, and very funny lady in Real Life, but that must be because she is saving all of her Evil Sadism for her books and her readers!!! She was able to put me through the ringer and flay my soul very successfully in this volume... She had batter treat us with expensive wine, chocolates and feather touches in the next one, or .... or ELSE!!! (I do sound very scary, right?) I might eventually right a real review
Steven
Life isn't fair. Jodi Taylor knows that, and certainly makes a point of showing it in her books. But the main reason I'm saying life isn't fair? Because I have caught up to the current book and am now waiting a year for the next. I call bullshit. I need it now. NOW I SAY.

*wails uncontrollably, loudly, and unhappily*
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
It's been a long time since a book affected me but this one, the 8th in the series, left me emotionally exhausted. Bad things happen to some of my favourite characters. Rona makes one of his evil returns with devastating consequences that left me with all the feels and I'm not normally one to be impacted too much by books. It's a testament to the writing that at several points throughout I was almost in tears.

And Peterson - that man needs a happy ending. Seriously! I have the final book 10 left
Kaitlin
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved being able to go back to this world and I am so excited for the next book again now. Honestly, this one had some seriously heartbreaking and wonderful moments. We once more follow Max and the other Historians at St Mary's as they attempt to work with the Time Police to track down a notorious enemy and retrieve someone he's stolen...

The elements of history in this one were great as always, but for me the story is always made better by the characters and one of my all time favouri
Emma
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! This one puts us through the wringer. Never a dull moment. Jodi Taylor gets the balance just right. This book was just as funny and yet the sad moments are so well done too. I won’t say any more for fear of spoilers. I did love Max’s eye test though. Genius!
Maria Dimitrova
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with Choko and Robin. If it wasn't for you guys I don't think I would have survived this book.

I'm not sure how to express my feelings regarding And the Rest is History. Maybe a gifs filled review with screaming, crying, hair pulling people? Or maybe catatonic ones? I don't think there are enough gifs in the world to properly show how much this book wrecked me. I'm a sobbing mess. So thank you Ms Taylor for destroying the little peace of mind I had left. You see, this was a safe series
Jen
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favorites
Absolute emotional roller-coaster, Jodi Taylor has outdone herself
A well deserved 5*
Kelly
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was 19% of the way into the book when I hissed, "Damn you, Jodi Taylor!"

At 57%, I cried and cursed her some more.

I tried putting the book away, but I just HAD to know how everything would turn out. No, I'm not going to go into details of what caused the emotional trauma or how it was resolved. Get your own copy and find out for yourself. And don't forget the Kleenex.
Vicky Garlick
Sian Bradshaw
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I signed up for an early copy of this book and it was really worth it. These are the sort of books that I eat in a matter of hours.

You never know what is coming next and after the excellent book 7, this is my favourite. Please keep writing Jodi.

Gents - know your cheese and their role in croquet.

Ladies - remember your sugar tongs!
Mike Finn
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a point in this book when Max says, "Remember when we used to have fun?" I do. The early books in this series were a lot of fun. Bad things happened. Horrible historical events were encountered. Yet eccentric, prank-playing, anarchic fun was at the centre of St. Mary's.

This hasn't been true for a while now. I don't read a new St Mary's book with the expectation on spending most of my time grinning, (although there're always a few points at which I laugh out loud. I figure that Jodi Taylo
Shawn Deal
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-travel
I really hate to do this, as I have loved this series so much, but I was not at all okay with the child kidnapping, and the implied child abuse that happens in this novel. I was not at all happy with the main character and how she responded to it or was I happy with the villain, whose muddled motivation for doing this, did not at all ring true. This one soured me so much so I don't know if I will continue the series.
Trelawn
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what to say after the trauma of that book except that I can't possibly be expected to wait til next April for book 9. I need answers and Clive Ronan's arse on a platter (sometimes a head won't do). Better get 8.5 off the shelf.
Sydney Young
Be forewarned, this one is a bit bleaker than normal. But you can still trust Jodi Taylor and the characters (who seem So real to Me!) And the story. Just next time, hoping for a more sunny escape. Soon please.
Jgrace
And the Rest is History - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm

The series is no longer fun. There were too many tragedies in this story, not enough humor and not enough interesting interaction with the historical past. This series has been my lightweight reading, providing go-to books when I need distraction with some good laughs. I’m willing to overlook poor writing and enormous plot holes in exchange for a bit of fun. (view spoiler)
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This series just gets better and better. I don't know how Jodi Taylor figure out how to make it even more interesting, but she does. This particular installment is bloody and scary, full of heartache and sadness. But there's hope at the end. The classic wit is still there amid the tragedy. I can't wait to see how she resolves this one.
Emma Flanagan
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can’t believe I have to wait till April for the next instalment. Better ration out the short stories.
flajol
I wish I didn't love these characters as I do. Taylor seems to take a GRRMish delight in putting her readers through the wringer. I'm glad I don't have long to wait before the next book in the series, although April feels like an awful long way away now.

Big ol' baddie Ronan turns up again, and manages to become more sympathetic. For a brief time, anyway. Max gets her heart wrenched about quite a bit, and so does the reader.

Thank goodness I still have the collection of short stories to look forw
Linda
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Taylor again pulls off a story that is a unique blend of humor and gut-wrenching tragedy. Having read all the books in the series so far, I was able to anticipate some of the twists and turns the story took. Some were welcome and others...not so much. (view spoiler) ...more
Bram
I think this book nearly killed me. Reading it felt like one of those massive rollercoaster rides, where you're slowly dragged to the top, enjoying the view and the butterflies in your belly, before you're plunged headlong into a freefall that leaves you empty and drained.

Jodi Taylor (again) does not dissapoint. All our favorite dysfunctional characters are back in force, as batshit crazy as ever. Drinking tea, eating cookies and verbally abusing anyone in sight. The writing is funny as ever and
Mburrows
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audrey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I love this series and watching the adventures of Max and the crew of St. Mary's. I usually enjoy the time traveling aspect where the historians go to a certain place in history to document and observe. They've been to some really interesting places (Troy! Joan of Arc! Time of the Dinosaurs!), but in this adventure, the history didn't grab me. But, what really propelled this one, was situation with Max and her family. It was a bit heartbreaking and I'm looking forward to see how things
Alison
Things take a very dark turn at St Mary's when Clive Ronan reappears with a strange offer of a truce, but when the Time Police are their usual inefficient, interfering selves he vows a terrible revenge on Max.

The mood of this novel is very dark, even the time jumps the team undertake are to some of the bloodiest, most violent so far.

Watch with Max and the team as Harold (future short-lived King of England) is tricked into taking an oath to support William's (the Conqueror-to-be) claim to the thr
Gina Boyd
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I almost stopped reading because some of the things that happened made me so, so sad. These books are funny and lighthearted, and yes, they've made me cry more than once, but this one nearly did me in. I'm glad I kept reading, though. Of course I had to keep reading.

And now I have to go clean my glasses.
Mark Harrison
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Standard Max story really. Husband disappears again, troubles at home, off to the Battle of Hastings, some big losses as she chases the nemesis that has been the baddie through the whole series. Enjoyable but samey.
Denise
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5- a cliff hanger
Fran Severn
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
What a treat when it showed up in my Kindle. I'd forgotten that I had pre-ordered it. And, of course, that meant that all activities and useful work stopped for the next two days. It is a much darker novel than the others in the series, and Jodi really messes with the readers' emotions here. A little bit sadistically, to be honest. The cuteness of the resolution does not erase the bitterness of the set-up. Still, it is always a delight to read her "take" on historical events and always a pleasur ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: And the Rest is History [November 2018] 8 34 Nov 23, 2018 06:53AM
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Chronicles of St Mary's (9 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #4)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9)
“No one ever mentions this in stories about time travel. You identify and locate your destination, defy the laws of physics to get there, somehow manage to avoid as many as possible of the huge number of hazards History has littered around the place, manage not to lose or break your very expensive equipment, you’re poised to record the History-changing event of your choice, and then you find you can’t bloody get in. On” 0 likes