Start by marking “The Hostile (The Hostile, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hostile (The Hostile, #1)

The Hostile

(The Hostile #1)

Alternate cover edition for 9781532717093

In a rundown area of Manchester, inside a decrepit bathroom in a small terraced house overflowing with children and dysfunctional parents, an unfathomable, powerful entity befriends young Serena with disastrous effects. This enigmatic force not only dramatically affects introverted Serena’s life but threatens the well-being of every
Paperback, 2, 196 pages
Published July 7th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Hostile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostile

Mark Tilbury
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that as I started this book I wondered if it would be for me or not. It took a little while to get into the story, but once I did, I enjoyed it.

Serena is aware of the wrongs of the world. Aware of problems in her family, bullies causing heartache and misery at school, but powerless to do anything about it. That is until she begins talking to Tile X. As their relationship develops she sees Tile X may have the power she doesn't.

Parts of the story are dark, but these are balanced out
Terry  (TBC)
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of The Hostile. It is bizarre & weird & so original. Such a good twisted tale. A young girl is so confused, school isn't fun, family isn't fun, so she spends lots of time in her bathroom. She listens to a voice & it seems to do her wishes.
This tale involves her family and their extended lives, her school mates & how her life takes turns.
I really enjoyed this tale, it's an original tale. Not the usual horror story.
Nessa
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
New author for me and not of my usual genre, however the blurb intrigued me enough, which is why I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and give this book a go.

It was certainly a strange and weird read, like nothing I've read before but it kept me entertained right from the get go.

A young girl talking to a tile and said tile talking back to her. Definately not something I've come across in a book to date.

I very much enjoyed this story, never quite knew what was going to happen next, so tho
Thomas G. Anderson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Be Careful What You Ask For
…especially if you’re a twelve year old girl in Manchester. “The Hostile” snuck up on me. Not my usual genre so I wasn’t quite sure if I would enjoy this work of reality meets a bit of science fiction but I was completely wrong. Enjoy it I did!

This is a carefully crafted work that delves into the everyday life of Serena, the aforementioned twelve year old, and the people around her. Her one “special” friend seems to be her own personal genie granting her wishes of the
Brenda
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some definite surprises to this book! First off, a main character isn't even animal or vegetable... and the author pulls it off beautifully. Good detail is describing the characters to us. The author takes us "inside the head" of these people. There are some rather spicy scenes, but they're well done and without being excessively explicit. Events happen fairly quickly once you get through the first few pages, so be prepared to spend some time... you won't want to put it down.
Kathleen Kelly
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I ordered all four books in the Hostile series and found each book held its own lure. I especially enjoyed Holiday for the Hostile. The series is well written with plenty of surprises along the way. A mixture of black humour, mystery, and captivating charm in a most macabre way.
John Thys
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I quiet like this book a bit weird at times but still very enjoyable this author must have a wicked imagination to be able to write a book like this it ended as though there could be a sequel so we will have to see
Trisha Kelly
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale of the unexpected

Author Mutter has a way of drawing you right in to her dark books. This is a well-written very unusual horror. What is it with the disturbed Serena and the hidden powers lurking in the family bathroom? You will be glued to the bitter end.
P.S. Winn
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually read book two before this first book in the series. The books can be read as stand alone, but I think it would be great to have all to read in order. Serena Drummond is a young girl, twelve going on thirteen, and has some family problems and also some problems at school. When she pours out her woes while in the bathroom, it is an evil entity trapped in the floor tile that hears her cries and decides to change Serena's life by getting rid of what bothers her. This is a different type o ...more
Tony Parsons
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Manchester, England. Serena Drummond (12, daughter/sister) suffered from constipation.
She was expected to watch over Lizzie Drummond (10, daughter/sister), Tristan Drummond (younger son/brother).
Emily Drummond (daughter/sister) took care of herself.
That didn’t happen.
Keith Drummond (husband/father), & Beatrice Drummond (2nd. wife/mother), enjoyed their MJ.
Keith & Carole (1st. ex-wife) divorced. They had twin boys, & a daughter, all in their 20’s.
Keith & Beatrice had quite the
G. Gaynor
Thank You, Joy Mutter! You've handed one of your little ones over to the world and that's no small feat. Well done to you there!

Overall, I will say 'Well Done' about the book. I enjoyed reading it and I am eager to move to the next in the series.

I will say that the beginning took too long and the ending went too quickly. There was such a long list of all the pains in Serena's life at the beginning that came at me through exposition instead of through story... and it got to be little heavy.

Then
Louise
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book, which I won in a Good Reads giveaway.

This a great little book, under 200 pages and really easy to read, so you can whizz through it in no time! I enjoyed reading about Serena's life with her dysfunctional parents and madcap house full of diverse siblings. The relationship that starts for Serena in the bathroom is offbeat but I love a bit of fantasy and the quirky element of this book appealed to me.

I would certainly look o
Ginny Clyde
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book started out quite humorously with the main character being a child who talks to a bathroom tile while being on the toilet. This, however, get stranger and scarier as the Tile's power grow in response to Serena's awareness of the things that are happening around her at school and at home. Apart from the main plot, the writer gives us an insight to the lives of people surrounding Serena. Reading parts about her cheating father felt like I was looking onto something perverse and yet, I had ...more
A D
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review via Audiobook Boom.

I really, really, really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed being part of lonely little Serenas thoughts. The story was a little out there, but not unfeasible. I enjoyed the drama that played out in between thoughts, it kept me wanting to more and I couldn't stop listening. The narration was good, and the ending was interesting...even though I was left with some que
Rebecca
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
A goodreads win

Serena is a strange lonely middle child from Manchester makes friends with a evil bathroom tile.
This is a very imaginative story & deals with a troubled lonely girl trying to get through life & home and school.
At first I found it a difficult story to get into, but found once I had read about a third I was hooked & enjoyed reading it. It is refreshingly original & wanted to read more.
John
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - 3.5 stars

Disclaimer - This audiobook was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review.

I found this story to be strange but interesting. The idea behind it reminded me of something Clive Barker might come up with. The story held my interest throughout.

My only problem was that the audio sounded like the microphone was in a coffee can, at times, but it was still perfectly understandable.
Marcela
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.
Was my first book of the author ! Joy has done a great job in narration too .. It took me a long time to get into story but once i was able to do that this was a very good one !
Kelvin Reed
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
"The Hostile" (2016) by Joy Mutter is an odd paranormal novel. Thirteen-year-old, socially inept Serena, a relatively poor girl living in Manchester, England, develops an unusual relationship with a bathroom tile; Tile X, as she calls him. Tile X speaks to her and can bring severe retribution to anyone who wrongs her, whether she wants it or not. Too much time is spent on the adults in Serena’s life, and the constantly shifting character points-of-view mid-scene became annoying. Mildly recommend ...more
Jacky Dahlhaus
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading The Hostile. It's not your average paranormal story, yet a nice, entertaining read with a top score for being different. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think this is horror. Whatever you want to call it, I’m looking forward to read the sequel ‘Holiday for the Hostile’ to find out what this evil tile is up to now.
Cheryl
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously I had been given another book by this author to read as a review copy. This time I noticed on the author's facebook page that the book was available for free and so I decided to acquire it.

I confess that this kind of genre isn't something I've read in a while. A mixture between nitty gritty life and family, with a sprinkle of action and a couple of tablespoons of paranormal. The story itself is novel. I read a fair bit of horror in my younger days and the premise of this is not someth
Leslie Fisher
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audio
I really liked this book. Its really creepy to think what it would be like for a child to have so much power - especially when I think of the things I said in haste when I was the same age as the character. Yikes! I'm just glad this book is fiction! :-) I thought the story was well-written and the characters were really interesting and entertaining. I listened to the Audible audio version of this book narrated by the author. She did a really good job! I'm always impressed when authors can narrat ...more
Christian
Joy Mutter is a new author for me, and I have to admit I'm not quite sure how to review this book as it is a bit outside of my usual genres.

Let's start with "I liked it". It is a strange and quirky story with an unusual opening scene, an "unhealthy" dose of paranormal, and some Lovecratian elements to it. I found it to be a bizarrely captivating read, and for some reason it made me think of Kafka's Metamorphosis (although it has been many years since I read that particular story).

The writing its
Carrie
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
EDIT - Whole review did not originally post. My apologies to the author and narrator!

This may be one of the strangest stories I've ever come across. It was nice to have a storyline that was different from what most paranormal books and stories tend to be. I think that the beginning could have been shorter and the end longer if that makes any sense.

I love when authors narrate their own books because you know that you are hearing the material exactly as it was intended.

The sound of the audio had
Deedra
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young girl with digestive issues spends enormous amounts of time in the bathroom talking to the tiles on the floor.One in particular answers her and bad things happen when she complains about something.Joy Mutter wrote and narrates this.The sound was bad.It sounded like it was recorded in a can.Ms Mutter may want to spring for a narrator for her next book.I was provided this book free for review
James Dyar
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like the monkeys paw of old, be careful what you wish for...
When a young girl with a bad case of Pareidolia summons a demonic power that will grant her any dark wish she wishes, she'll find that it's a power that is hard to put down.
I found this book to be an enjoyable read, but also found myself wishing for a more climactic ending.
Elsa B
  • The Greek Dialogues
  • The Charioteer of Rome
  • Sisters on Bread Street
  • A Dog's View of Love, Life, and Death
  • The Emperor's Silver (Agent of Rome #5)
  • Show Me, Sir
  • ChangeSeekers: Finding Your Path to Impact
  • Illustration that Works: Professional Techniques for Artistic and Commercial Success
  • Heath, Cliffs & Wandering Hearts
  • Bathing with the Dead (First Kiss Mystery #1)
  • The Retirement Diaries
  • Collateral Damage: A World War II Orphan: Lost and Found
  • Echoes From Afar
  • Dr. Tenace
  • Orthorexia: When Healthy Eating Goes Bad
  • Fire Heart (Broken Bottle, #2)
  • From the Blue
Author of Random Bullets, 4 books in The Hostile series, Her demonic Angel, Living with Postcards, Potholes and Magic Carpets, The Mug Trilogy, and The Trouble With Liam.

Joy Mutter started writing books in 2007 but waited until 2015 to publish six of them on Amazon. Three more books followed in 2016. All thirteen of her books are available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle editions. Eight books al

The Hostile (5 books)
  • Holiday for the Hostile
  • The Hostile Game (The Hostile, #3)
  • Confronting The Hostile (The Hostile, #4)
  • The Hostile Series Box Set