Start by marking “One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter” as Want to Read:
One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter

One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  10,472 ratings  ·  1,344 reviews
A collection of essays about growing up the daughter of Indian immigrants in Canada, "a land of ice and casual racism," by the cultural observer, Scaachi Koul.

In One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter, Scaachi deploys her razor-sharp humour to share her fears, outrages and mortifying experiences as an outsider growing up in Canada. Her subjects range from s
Published March 7th 2017 by Doubleday Canada

Lia As a brown girl living in Calgary, no. She does not grow or accept herself, she views life like she still thinks it's high school. I don't understand …moreAs a brown girl living in Calgary, no. She does not grow or accept herself, she views life like she still thinks it's high school. I don't understand how she can remain so childish considering she seems to be well-read and has traveled and experienced so much in life for a young person.(less)
Lystra She's the Canadian daughter of Indian immigrant parents, finding her way in a society where she is different . Her several essays delve not just into …moreShe's the Canadian daughter of Indian immigrant parents, finding her way in a society where she is different . Her several essays delve not just into her life but issues many women face , with wit and humour.(less)

·  10,472 ratings  ·  1,344 reviews

Start your review of One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter
Cindy Pham
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This book covered a lot of relevant topics, but didn’t add anything new to existing discourse that I’ve already read, and therefore doesn't stand out to me. I think this book would be better enjoyed by someone who is new to racial & feminist discourse. ...more
Nat
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any writer promised to bear similarities to either Mindy Kaling or Roxane Gay will have my immediate interest in the palm of their hand. And Scaachi Koul did not disappoint with her wry humor and telling insights on a plethora of subjects. Dealing with fear, anxiety, grief, parenting, insecurities, racial discrimination, racial advantage, shadism, white privilege, sexism, feminism, online harassment, sexual harassment, diversity in media, and so much more. Koul won my heart over almost instantly ...more
Maxwell
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was delightfully funny and surprisingly heartfelt. The first essay really got to me, which I wasn't expecting. She's a talented writer and storyteller, and she tackles some pretty serious themes—sexual assault, race, gender dynamics, and cultural difference. But I did feel like they lacked a bit of substance and could've done with a bit more reflection rather than simple narrative. That's not to say that there aren't really strong points and important lessons in this collection; I can see t ...more
Cristina Monica
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, feminism
I am rooting for this author. I really am. Her personality and mine couldn’t be more different and her experience being a college student was nothing like mine—I can’t even stand the smell of alcohol, let alone drink it. And yet, I still am rooting for her.

She asks the right questions. She pushes at the right times (usually). She seeks to understand. She seeks to expose. The wheel in her brain is forever turning. Her claws come out once in a while, but she’s not destructive.

It’s then not surpri
Esil
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars. One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter is an engaging collection of personal essays. The author is a young Canadian woman who's family is originally from India. She grew up in Calgary and lives in Toronto. Her personal essays deal with, amongst other topics, family, relationships, race, body image, hair, drinking, family weddings and her parents' reaction to her older white boyfriend. Her essays feel young, irreverent, angry and honest -- at times bordering on a bit to ...more
emma
I mostly just found this profoundly...eh. So I'm not going to review it, probably.
Melki
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-essays
There's nothing earth-shattering here, just some fun, and (mostly) funny essays by a young Canadian writer who describes herself as a woman who somehow manages to get both of her hands stuck in two different salsa jars at the same time.

Koul covers a range of topics from romance to hair removal. She really won my heart with her essay about clothing, and the hopes we women pin on finding just the right shirt, skirt, or jeans.

It's happening, I thought. The item, the big item that changes the way I
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for fans of Lindy West, Roxane Gay, and Jenny Lawson. With the added commentary on skin color in India vs. Canada, I felt like I was gaining one more perspective on what it means to have brown skin and how that changes based on where you are (and her surprising excursions into privilege.) The parenting emails made me laugh, her compassion towards her parents was impressive in that she could see the humor while also being annoyed. I will definitely be recommending this to other readers wh ...more
Julie Ehlers
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially going to give this two stars, but now that I have some distance from it, I like it even less. I'm just going to one-star it and not waste any more time thinking about it.
Mariah Roze
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
One of my favorite genres that I read a ton of is autobiographies. So of course when I saw the really unique title of this autobiography I had to read it. Well, this one was nothing special. It wasn't funny. It did dig deep. This was just an "okay" book. One that since I started it I might as well finish.

This book collection of essays about Scaachi Koul growing up with Indian immigrants in Canada. Then moving halfway across the world for college.

Like I said, nothing special. No need to read thi
Rachel León
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017, 2017, essays
(4-4.5 stars, rounded up because Scaachi Koul is smart and funny as hell)

I interviewed the author this morning, which is why I think I'm qualified to say, yes, she really is smart and funny. This collection of essays tackles issues like racism, sexism, body image, and rape culture, while also infusing each one with personal stories and a generous dollop of humor. My favorite essays were "Fair and Lovely" and "Mister Beast Man to You, Randor," but there wasn't an essay I didn't enjoy. Scaachi Kou
Meg
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. I really wanted to like this, and I hate writing negative reviews, but I really struggled. I just couldn't figure out why I was reading the personal essays of a young 20-something who hasn't done anything. The most interesting parts happened to other people, like the Indian wedding, or her friend in college who struggled with alcoholism. But nothing happened! We don't even have a resolution to the alcoholic's story- she never explained what happened to him, only about how she was mad ...more
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I was notified recently that my library just added a ton of books that I recommended, including several memoirs written by people of color and YA about LGBT+ characters. One of those books was ONE DAY WE'LL ALL BE DEAD AND NONE OF THIS WILL MATTER by Scaachi Koul, a culture writer for BuzzFeed Canada.

I'd been looking forward to this book for a while. I love BuzzFeed and I had heard that this book was going to address many topics like fe
Leonicka
Scaachi's voice is wholly unique. She is cringingly funny (in a good way, I swear) but I found myself tearing up quite often. This isn't a treatise on millennial Indian women or a manifesto on the first-gen immigrant story or some bullshit like that.She makes no attempts to tell a universal story and I so appreciate that. She just offers her own story and it is more than enough.
Book of the Month
Personal Essays That Are Equal Parts LOL and WTF
By Judge Kevin Nguyen

An essay collection hinges entirely on the voice of its author, so let me characterize Scaachi Koul's: rude, angry, sometimes crass, always fiercely intelligent and hilarious. In her debut, Koul tackles regular essay collection stuff—meditations on relationships, family, identity – but the best part of it is that she’s funny as sh*t.

I laughed out loud on a dozen occasions throughout this book, from her descriptions of a torturo
Carol (Bookaria)
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
Wonderful memoir from Buzzfeed senior writer Scaachi Koul. She is a first-generation daughter of Indian immigrants and in the book she discusses her experiences growing up in Canada, racism she faced, body image issues, day-dreaming fantasies, hair issues, and her relationships. Specially interesting is the relationship with her parents, I found hilarious some of the interactions she had with them. I could relate to some of her experiences and enjoyed reading her essays.

I listened to the audio b
Lata
I found myself laughing out loud as I read. I enjoyed Scaachi Koul's take on her family, misogyny, the conflict between being a good daughter and finding her own way in life. There were some points at which I found myself saying, "Yup, I know EXACTLY what you mean!" when she described the often ridiculous and sometimes crushing expectations foisted on Indian daughters.
Alaina
One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter: Essays definitely attracted me with the title. I mean, who wouldn't want to read this book - it just got me hooked.

I've also been on like a non-fiction kind of binge lately and when I saw that this was available at my library I just had to have it! Scaachi is a blessing in disguise. I loved everything about this book. She talks about a whole range of things within this thing, like: dealing with fear, grief, parenting, insecurities, discrimi
Caroline
THERE were one or two essays in here that I really enjoyed. I would say that 'Fair and Lovely' was my favourite because it was interesting and funny and just great overall. The book as a whole left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I did really enjoy it but not nearly as much as I'd expected to. The essays were quite funny which I enjoyed but they were too casual a lot of the time and didn't always hit the message home. There were some great anecdotes and I'm glad I read this book. I just think ...more
Laima
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I never heard of this book or author, Scaachi Koul, until a free copy landed in my lucky lap.
It’s not the sort of book that would have been on my radar to search for at the local library. I do love surprises though, especially books that catch me off guard.
And this was one of those lovely surprises!

Where do I begin…
Well, this book was very funny. Scaachi Koul doesn’t hold back - she describes her life experiences with candor and honesty (don’t hold back tell us what you really really think typ
Samantha Mitchell
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
About halfway through this book I became obsessed with Scaachi Koul. I delved deep into her twitter, going one - two - years back, laughing at and with her and her unique take on life. Scaachi is Indian, lives in Toronto, and is a Buzzfeed writer. This book touches on race, gender roles, privilege - all thoughtful and not always tasteful (but hilarious and charming nonetheless). My favourite parts, though, were the very real and honest accounts of her family life, how it shapes us, how we become ...more
Taylor Knight
I'm so glad I picked this book up.
I don't read a lot of non-fiction but this is one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. I loved it from the very first page and I never wanted to put it down. I thought it was incredibly funny and a few of the stories Scaachi told had me laughing out loud.
There was also a good deal of serious stories about Scaachi's experiences as an Indian women with immigrant parents. I really appreciate the opportunity to read about Scaachi's perspective and for her
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
4.75
This book was great. It was hilarious and insightful and I was able to relate to so much more of it than I would have ever thought. I laughed out loud many times, Koul was able to put into perfect words so many thoughts I've had in my life. I didn't always feel as if the essays flowed well from one to the other to make the most cohesive collection but maybe they weren't supposed to. Loved this, definitely recommend it.
Katie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. Everyone I know is going to get it for their birthday for the next five years. My dad will probably be a little confused at first but whatever.
Victoria
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honest review of ARC (Goodreads Giveaway):

I hoped to like this book, but didn't anticipate just how much I would love it. I knew a bit about Scaachi Koul from some of her Buzzfeed essays, but didn't quite know what I was in for with this book. Yet, from the very first essay, I was emotionally hooked. Koul weaves a kind of intimacy through these essays that is sometimes absent in other memoir essay collections (sorry, Mindy Kaling and Ellen DeGeneres).

Despite having had very different upbringin
Alice Lippart
A funny, interesting and heartfelt collection. Loved the parts about the author and her father. I do think it lacks a bit of depth and reflection, but it's worth the read.
Brittany
This was hands down probably the worst book I have read all year.. and that's saying something. Suffice to say that the title has practially nothing to do with the book and the whining and complaining is what made it through edit to be mass produced. They are so many better books that deserved the chance that this got. Needless to say this was not worth the time it took to read, and thank goodness it wasn't longer, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the end.
Krista
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
While Canada purports to be multicultural, Toronto in particular, a place where everyone is holding hands and cops are handing out ice cream cones instead of, say, shooting black men, our inability to talk about race and its complexities actually means our racism is arguably more insidious. We rarely acknowledge it, and when we do, we're punished, as if we're speaking badly of an elderly relative who can't help but make fun of the Irish.

With One Day We'll All Be Dead And None Of This Will Ma
Susan Feng
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's nearly 1 AM, but it felt important to get this down in the moment. It's been a while since I've finished a book in the middle of the night, and when I closed this book after reading the last few pages of acknowledgements, I cried. Heavy, hot, mysterious tears, my sinuses stinging.

I can't pin point why I'm weeping. Maybe it's because I too grew up as the child of first-generation immigrant parents who worked hard, harder than they should've ever had to. Parents who loved me the best way they
Lorilin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, arc
This is a collection of essays from 26-year old Scaachi Koul, a Canadian-born daughter of Indian immigrants who currently writes for Buzzfeed Canada. The essays cover a wide range of topics including family relationships, dating, internet trolls, alcoholism, rape, anxiety, race, and culture. I think my favorite sections of the book are about Koul's family. Oh, how I wish her dad had a Twitter account...

The book is entertaining and youthful, but also surprisingly thoughtful. I appreciated Koul's
Around South/East...: A book by an Indian author 1 4 Jul 05, 2020 07:59PM
Goodreads Choice ...: One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This will Matter - August 2018 2 53 Aug 11, 2018 12:40AM
SCPL Online NonFi...: The final word 1 6 May 31, 2018 01:48PM
SCPL Online NonFi...: Family Traditions 10 8 May 30, 2018 01:08PM
SCPL Online NonFi...: Surveillance Culture 1 4 May 29, 2018 01:01PM

• We Are Never Meeting in Real Life.
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • The Wondrous Woo
  • So You Want to Talk About Race
  • I'm Afraid of Men
  • Little Weirds
  • I Can't Date Jesus: Love, Sex, Family, Race, and Other Reasons I've Put My Faith in Beyoncé
  • Scarborough
  • Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning
Scaachi Koul is a culture writer at BuzzFeed Canada. She is the author of a book of essays One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter. Koul attended the journalism school at Ryerson University.

Before BuzzFeed, Scaachi worked at Penguin Random House Canada, the acquiring publisher of 'One Day'. Before that she was an intern at Maclean's Magazine and The Huffington Post. Her journalism h