Start by marking “In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again: A Dark Humor Short Story” as Want to Read:
In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again: A Dark Humor Short Story

In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again: A Dark Humor Short Story

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Pathos! Characters! Metafiction!

Poor Carl just has no luck! And neither does Edwina or little Oscar, but that's okay, because the Tuesday Book Club ladies just love it when bad things happen to hapless Carl, because it makes them feel better about their own lives.

Will Carl get his life together? Will Edwina find purpose in life? Will little Oscar get the special shoes he
Published June 13th 2016

Be the first to ask a question about In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again

Jennifer M
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
A creative story with a clever concept: following the stream of consciousness as a writer creates a character. The tale is prefaced as "dark humor" and rightly so. The tone certainly takes a negative and sarcastic bent. However, I found in it an interesting reflection on our current culture. While some may dismiss what the "Ladies at the book club" enjoy as over-generalizations, one can find in them an insight into what society now finds entertaining and sensational, and an invitation to take a ...more
Israel Drazin
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this hilarious book. As Esmerelda Q. Jones writes, this is "A Dark Humor Short Story," it is humorous. However, I would add: "A great, readable, fun, short story." Really funny and clever too.
We read that the author is trying to develop her character for her story and its plot. The ideas she comes up with are zany - good zany. As a result, we get many stories within a story. For example, should Carl be a pedophile or a good grandfather type?
Another example, one time she thinks to write
Jana
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to write a review, but I thought, "a glowing review would just feed the vanity of the author, and we couldn't have that." But no, on the other hand, a good review might make more people read the book and they could see how Carl evolves at the whim of his creator (poor fool!) Oh, does that refer to Carl or the author? (Damn you grammar, anyway!) And how would I describe the crazy-ass writing and perspective of this stream-of-consciousness-short-story-meta-fiction? At any rate, at least t ...more
Julie Failla Earhart
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This short story has an unnamed narrator who is a writer. Based off a running joke with her (since they share a room) sister, the narrator names her protagonist Carl. The she spends the rest of the story coming up with the plot and plot twists for poor ol’ Carl.

I didn’t think it was funny, and it rubbed me the wrong way. Basically because it goes against the basic rule of fiction writing: Nothing is more boring than a character sitting around thinking and not acting. Granted this is a writer thi
Ronald Keeler
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A request to review this very short story, In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again by Esmerelda Q. Jones, popped up in my inbox. Since I am presently at a writer/reader conference in UBUD, Indonesia and I am not following my schedule of posting once per day, I thought I would accept this unicorn’s request for a quick review. The writer self-identifies as a unicorn, claims peanut butter to be a favorite color and identifies an author home to be in “all the usual places.” I have a feeli ...more
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, novella
This was a very strange short story. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, and I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into. It seemed interesting and imaginative enough - is is described as 'dark humor', I can get behind some of that. Sadly this one was not for me.

The book is written as a writer thinking about the story they will tell about Carl - so you don't really get a character but the idea of a character that the 'author' is going to write about an
Art Kavanagh
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Carl works three jobs, the least unpleasant of which is at Walmart. The work leaves him broke, smelly, irritable and exhausted. His girlfriend, Edwina, dreams of escaping from their poverty by doing an accountancy course. Her son, Oscar, looks set to perpetuate the cycle of misery. Their lives are appalling.

The author of this short story, Esmeralda Q Jones, doesn't want to engage the reader's sympathy for her characters. She distrusts the kind of author who easily manipulate the reader's emotion
Angela Oliver
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
a quick and fun read, this is satirical meta fiction that most writers should readily identify with. who is Carl? while the author sets out to create the character inserting a level of social satire and commentary. Whilst entertaining, it does rely little heavily on clichés and generalisations. A fun enough read - but not one i would have paid for.

received from author to review. will correct capitalisation in review when back on proper keyboard.
Jenina Jill Sy
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Received this book as an advance reader copy. The author brings the reader through her writing thought process and tries to write what she thinks every audiece wants to read.

I was a bit creeped out by the genralizations made by the author on what she thinks keep readers engaged. However, the fact that I finished the book in one sitting may be saying a lot.

Quick read on the author's writing process.
Adam Oster
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Short stories are an odd format to write in. Due to the short length and often experimental nature of the format, readers generally fall, quite easily, into one of two categories for a given story. They either get it, or they don't.

Of course, while saying that, I realize that for this particular short story, I got it...but I wasn't exactly sure if I cared.

Simply put, In the Springtime Everything is New All Over Again reads like an A.D.D. nightmare. Jones gives us a glimpse into the mind of an au
Bob Milne
Martina
rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2017
Esmerelda Q.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote