Start by marking “Twenty-One Trees” as Want to Read:

Twenty-One Trees

Sometimes, secrets are the ties that bind two people together for life—especially the painful ones. Savannah May Holladay and her best friend from childhood, James “Birdy” Johnson, harbor many, many dark secrets.

Birdy also has an undying love for Savannah that spans over two decades. Unfortunately for him, Savannah is a wealthy debutante engaged to the town’s most eligible
Published May 19th 2016 by Createspace (first published April 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Twenty-One Trees, please sign up.
Linda Cousine Gosh, Ellen, I don't know why I never saw your question on my feed. Honestly, I am hopeless when it comes to the ease of using Goodreads! I cannot say…moreGosh, Ellen, I don't know why I never saw your question on my feed. Honestly, I am hopeless when it comes to the ease of using Goodreads! I cannot say how sorry I am to not have seen your question, LAST YEAR! for goodness' sakes. Please, please accept my deepest apologies!

To answer your question, the storyline of a woman losing her memory after having 4 children is based on my paternal grandmother who suffered from postpartum depression and had a breakdown after having her last child. Unfortunately, my grandfather had her put into a mental institution (not knowing what else to do, as it was the 1940s and there was little mental health help available), and she stayed there until she died, 60 years later, never regaining the memory of her husband or her children, still locked in the mind of her adolescence.

I paired that with some personal experience of physical abuse and tied the storyline together. I also chose my hero, "Birdy," to not be the standard "hot guy" that most authors use in their stories, and I wanted all of my characters to have some minor flaws, just as real people do. As far as the two names, since I am not from the South, I had a friend from Georgia as my mentor, and she said where she came from most everyone was called by the their first and middle names, unlike in California, where I'm from.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post, and again, my sincerest apologies.

Linda(less)

Susan Barton
Savannah May Holladay wakes up confused and frightened in the hospital from a medical induced coma. It’s a lot for Savannah to take in all at once. Her parents look like they’ve aged over night, her best friend, Birdy, is now her husband and they have four children together. Savannah soon learns she has “dissociative amnesia” and the previous seven years of her life have been wiped from her memory. In her mind, she’s still the privileged, spoiled home coming queen, engaged to handsome football j ...more
Barb
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just a great book. Savannah woke up from a coma and could not remember the last 7 years. What seven years lost is a real surprise for her. You have to read this book to see what happened with the years lost.
Cynthia
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can’t imagine what it would be like to wake up from a coma and not remember you family, children, who you were married to or the last 7 years of your life. My heart went right out to Savannah from the start with all her confusion and how frighten she was when she woke up in the hospital from her coma. Savannah story is a very touching and a unique read that reach in and pull on your heartstrings. This is a story full of friendship, love, sadness, depression, abuse, and above all else love and ...more
Natasha
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up Twenty-One Trees I honestly didn't have high hopes for it. I figured it would be a good enough read that I would at least finish the book but nothing really more than that. I could not have been more wrong. The story was so much more than I was expecting and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few things I didn't really like. It had a tendency to be a bit repetitive at times and I really wanted to hit Savannah with the very book I was reading sometimes. Ove ...more
Dorothy Beer
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty one Trees

This was not exactly a happy story. Unfortunately, some parents are so wrapped in their lives that they think giving their children expensive things makes up for neglect. Birdy was so neglected and physically abused that he and Savannah were an unlikely pair. Sadly Bobby Lee had taken advantage of Savannah need to feel loved, that she let him sexually and physically abuse her. After much suffering and heartache this story had A happy ending. Gave it 5 stars
Amanda Williams
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent. Wow, what a book. I cried so hard with this one. What an incredible and inspirational story with all the emotions possible. This author is extremley talented and I cannot wait to read more of their work. An absolutely amazing book you will regret picking up.
Wilma jean Watkins
Surprising ending

I really enjoyed the experience and the anxiety that was caused by the story. Thanks for the different take on memory loss..
Shannon
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I had a hard time putting this down.. Must Read to the end. It made me upset at times how selfish Savannah is, but I still read it! I want to go meet Savannah for coffee.
Kristin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twenty-one trees is a story of a husband and wife, Birdy (James) and Savannah Johnson and the path their lives and the lives of their four children take after Savannah ends up with dissociative amnesia; her memory of the past seven years–their entire marriage–is completely gone, and the last she remembers is being a rich beauty-pageant star engaged to her high-school boyfriend. She has no recollection of marrying Birdy, of having had their four children, or that they were quite poor.

I have to be
Teresa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever truly loved a partner, you must read this love story!

I purchased this book last winter and when I found it again, in my enormous ebook library, I knew I had to read it right then! Ms. Cousine has created one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking love stories I've ever read; and I've read plenty!
It begins with a young woman waking in a hospital bed not knowing what has happened for the past seven years. She has a husband and four children; the husband had been her lifelong best
Jeanne
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This book was a total surprise. I did a deep dive into my kindle and decided to read this freebie I picked up last year.

Savannah May was a spoiled teenager and then she wakes up in the hospital and finds herself fat and leaking breast milk. Her last recollection is being crowned Miss Georgia Peach and planning a life with Bobby Lee Thomas, the heir to the mill. Instead she can't recall the last seven years and is married to her best friend, Birdy, they have four children and living in a three b
onlythejessi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Darkness

An accident claimed the memory of Savannah’s last seven years. But it also claimed more. Savannah’s injury left her with amnesia, but also a fight to regain her life. However, it seemed to have caused a bigger fight within her husband, Birdy, who Savannah never remembered marrying.

This story takes the reader through a heart wrenching rediscovery of the meaning of life, of love, of healing and overcoming abuse from years long gone by.

The book had quite a few grammatical error
Sandra
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a treasure! I was absolutely thrilled with this delightful and poignant story of the lives of Savannah May, her best friend Birdy (James Russell Johnson) and her High School boyfriend, Bobby Lee. The Name 'Twenty-One Trees' intrigued me and the beautiful cover drew me in. This story will not disappoint.

This is my first read by Linda Cousine, and I want to say Thank-You. Thank you for digging deep into this story and into the characters' lives, from the main characters, children and neighbo
Wendy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books of all time, a wonderful love story. (Amazingly, without a dog or cat, except for a walk-on part.) It is an unconventional love story with twists and turns that will keep you guessing, but nothing to belabor the ongoing saga of a family with struggles reaching back to childhood. The writing keeps you moving from one scene to the next with dialog that sounds true and never trite. I also appreciated the fact that it was a completely self-contained novel, not the f ...more
Jaime Kurp
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
By Linda Cousine

This story was a little hard to read. I don’t know what I would do if I lost 7 years of my life. To not remember my wedding or the birth of my children. This story is about Savannah May who lost her memory when she hit her head. She lost 7 years of her life. She doesn’t remember marrying her best friend Birdy or the birth of her 4 children. The last thing she remembers is winning a pageant and being with Bobby Lee, her boyfriend. Can Savannah May become the wife a
Annette
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very engrossing and really emotional story, it's just so sad. I felt sorry for the whole family. At times, I really would have liked to hear it from Birdy's point of view, Savannah is more than a handful but sometimes the things she said made me chuckle. This is also very entertaining and the author does a great job with detail so the reader can connect with/understand characters more, it was a bit overwhelming for me at times and I had to read this in small doses. :) Definitely worth ...more
Lorene
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty-One Trees

This book is about a young couple who have 4 children. It is a life/love story of two best friends as they grew up, a story of the abuse they both dealt with and amnesia that went along with postpartum depression. The story is told as present day and the background is interspersed throughout. The story brought out many different emotions in me. I may not have rated it quite as highly in the first half of the book, but as I read on, I found I really wanted to know what happened w
Rocky Henriques
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars, even though...

...An editor needed to give this book a once over. Typos and incorrect verb tenses were distracting, though they did not occur so often that they took anything away from the story. The reason for the title is not revealed until nearly the end, and it has a nice twist to it. There were a few loose ends which were not addressed, but the overall story is good. This would make a good TV movie.
May
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creatively different.

I can't begin to imagine losing a chunk of my life...whilst I didn't like Savannah as much as Birdy , I tried to imagine what it would have been like that first night home when all the children were sick...that would be a real tester. She matured along the way though and in the end her character became more likeable. You need to know a person's background to understand why they behave the way they do.
June W. Crews
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty-one Trees

Untreated trauma and abuse can lead to severe difficulties throughout life. I knew a girlat college who experienced dissassociative amnesia after learning that her boyfriend had been killed in Vietnam. The main characters were believable and were easy to empathize with.
Bella
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just the most exquisite book! I've read Linda Cousine's comedies, but this was totally different. Same fantastic writing, but a beautifully poignant, honest, heartfelt and emotionally hard-hitting piece of writing that really touched me. I don't want to give anything away: just do yourself a favour and read this book!
Isis Ray-sisco
What a wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading it. It isn't your typical amnesia story. It is an emotional roller coaster ride with a beautiful ending. I would highly recommend this book to others.
Zahra
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man this was awesome. One of the first 5-stars I’ve given in a long time. I loved the struggle of the main character, the realistic humor to offset the bleakness of the circumstances, and the page-turning journey of redemption. Seriously this book was awesome.
Kaila
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
good story.. very interesting storyline.. different type ofthing. i enjoyed the characters and what they go through is well done. i liked it
Cathy  Slaubaugh
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!!!!

What an awesome story!! Kept me on my toes. Didn't want to put it down. You really need to check this one out!
Lindsey Eick
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a wonderful tale of how love always finds its way home to the ones it loves, even after trials and tribulations that Savannah May faced to get back to her Birdy (James Russell).
Dawn
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad and Touching

True love concurs the past and heals old wounds. Two painful pasts help bring healing to each other and learn what true love is all about.
Julie LaPaglia
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a super good book. Major twist at the end good all the way to the end.
Cassondra Durham
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Wonderful book. Started reading it, hard to put it down once I started reading it. Keeps you wondering what is happening next.
Tony Parsons
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Savannah May Holladay (20, narrator, daughter, Robert E. Lee HS, cheerleader, prom queen).
Her parents are: Roy Holladay (Daddy) & Marylou Holladay (Mama).
Bobby Lee Thomas (Prom King) is her B/F & Bird Dog “Birdy” Johnson (30) is her/Bobby’s BMF.
After HS graduation she had just won the Miss Georgia Peach beauty pageant.
Savannah had been in a medically induced coma for 5 days. She awoke & met Dr. Kim (Neurologist). Roy & Marylou were there also.

Savannah (nee Holladay) also found

• On the Edge
  • The Recipe
  • Chaperones
  • The Muse
  • The Doctor's Unexpected Family (Port Provident: Hurricane Hope #2)
  • After All Is Said and Done - A Novel of Infidelity, Healing, & Forgiveness
  • The Buck Pass
  • Personal Experiences (Personal, #1)
  • Flawed Beauty
  • The Time Until
  • Completely Wrecked
  • The Marriage Pact (Viral, #2)
  • One Chance, One Moment: Book One - The Mandy Story
  • The Price of Fame (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #14)
Linda Cousine is an author whose first inspiration to write came to her in a hot flash. Literally. It also came with weight gain, night sweats, dry skin, and hide-the-knives, and the idea to share her struggles in the form of her Middle-Aged Hottie book series, a tongue-in-cheek look at one woman's struggle through the minefield that is menopause.

When she’s not arm wrestling Father Time, Linda can