Start by marking “The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)” as Want to Read:
The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)

The Red Scrolls of Magic

(The Eldest Curses #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  35,463 ratings  ·  4,991 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestseller Cassandra Clare and award-winner Wesley Chu comes the first book in a new series that follows High Warlock Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood as they tour the world after the Mortal War. The Red Scrolls of Magic is a Shadowhunters novel.

All Magnus Bane wanted was a vacation—a lavish trip across Europe with Alec Lightwood, the Shadowhunter who
Published April 9th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about The Red Scrolls of Magic, please sign up.
Isaac Most people say publication order, but that means stopping in the middle of a series to read a different one, so in my opinion, the best order is:
City…more
City of Bones (TMI #1)
City of Ashes (TMI #2)
City of Glass (TMI #3)
(If you want to read The Shadowhunter's Codex, the best place to do so would be here)
Clockwork Angel (TID #1)
Clockwork Prince (TID #2)
Clockwork Princess (TID #3)
City of Fallen Angels (TMI #4)
City of Lost Souls (TMI #5)
The Bane Chronicles
City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6)
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
(If you want to read A History of Notable Shadowhunters and Denizens of Downworld, the best place to do so would be here)
Lady Midnight (TDA #1)
Lord of Shadows (TDA #2)
Queen of Air and Darkness (TDA #3)
That would mean you'd caught up, and should probably read the next books in publication order. That would be:
The Red Scrolls of Magic (TEC #1)
Ghosts of the Shadow Market
Chain of Gold (TLH #1)(less)
Emily A fan asked Cassandra Clare this on tumblr:

A fan asked Cassandra Clare this on tumblr:

"I was wondering if this like whole series going to expand into something more with the eldest curses? Or is it just going to be the main focus of TEC and not intermingle with a lot of the other book? Will it impact TWP?"

Her response:

"It’s not likely that TEC is going to contain any plot lines you absolutely have to be familiar with to read TWP or any other books. Like the short story collections, this is considered 'supplemental material' by my publisher — a story for existing fans that they don’t expect to sell on the same level as the mainline books like TDA or TLH . . . I do believe reading TEC will enrich the experience of reading TWP, but it’s not imperative to understanding the story."

Hope this helped :)(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,457 books — 3,989 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
873 books — 3,128 voters

More lists with this book...

·  35,463 ratings  ·  4,991 reviews

Start your review of The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I'm still figuring out exactly how I feel about this book as I just finished it, but for now I'm feeling slightly underwhelmed. That doesn't mean this book wasn't enjoyable, because at the end of the day it was a fun and adventurous story, but... that's about it. The plot of the book didn't really wow me and parts of it felt really random. I mostly just felt like the joke cult was such a weird plot point in the first place? Regardless, Magnus brought in all the sass that I live for and it was ni ...more
Melanie

ARC given to me by my amazingly kind friend - Heather at Bookables!

✨ My reading vlog for this entire book, and my entire process of annotating, taking notes, and writing this very review, is live on my BookTube channel!

“It’s a classic love story. I hit on him at a party, he asked me out, then we fought an epic magical battle between good and evil side by side, and now we need a vacation.”

The Red Scrolls of Magic is the story that Magnus and Alec always deserved. My two precious boys
Emma Giordano
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Can I say that I absolutely love the COVER and the PROMISE of this book!!??

I'm such a sucker for Magnus and Alec! I adore their relationship and I just can't get enough of them!
And now there's going to be a trilogy?!

Oh boy, I'm so ready for this!
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW READY I AM! XD

Ahh Cassie... you and your books!
I'm convinced they'll be the death of me! <333
Ashley Nuckles
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO SO SO SO GOOOOD! I NEED MORE MALECCCC.
Elle (ellexamines)
This was a really cute and fun introduction to a murder-mystery-ish fantasy series about four gays teaming up to save the world and personally, I really love that for me

Aline and Helen are useless lesbian culture and Alec and Magnus and Aline and Helen are mlm/wlw solidarity and I think that’s wonderful.

I think I’m appreciating the dynamic between these two characters more and more over time. I love that Magnus is outwardly so confident and done-it-all-before and inwardly really just wants to m
C.G. Drews
[read 2 | Feb 2021] I fit in a little reread before diving into the sequel and am pleased to report this book is still an absolutely delight!! Also will confess the plot twist at the end surprised me! Again. Who has a memory these days 😌not me.

The humour is so, so gold though. I wish more books had this stellar level of hilarity. (Magnus is forever a favourite.) I also really enjoyed the audiobook!

[read 1 | June 2019]
the fact that we have been given a whole book of Malec is a GIFT and I am in ap
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I haven't finished TMI or even started TDA, yet here I am, drooling over this ...more
Emily May

sapphia
Apr 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: absolutely-not, lgbtq, ugh
description
(Warning: I get very angry in this review. If you don't like anger and/or criticism towards CC then kindly skip, thanks)

Listen, Magnus Bane is one of my favorite characters of all time. Even though I don't like Cassandra Clare and I strongly disagree with her writing, I just really love Magnus.

I don't particularly like Malec, because I hate big age differences in relationships, especially queer ones.
It's a stereotype and it's awful and predatory. It also seems out of character for Magnus to go a
April (Aprilius Maximus)

*.) Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy [TBA]
*.) Ghosts of the Shadow Market ★★★★

------------------
Helena Paris
I received a chapter sample of this at a Queen of Air and Darkness book signing.

I'm such Cassie Clare-trash that I bought this mini-Shadowhunter novel today! Seriously! It’s tiny!

Lia Carstairs
Actual Rating: ⭐⭐⭐.5
  “Sometimes, love worked, past any hope of change, when no other force in this world could.
Without love, the miracle never came.”

What a vacation this was.🤣
And that ending!!!😰

🛑WARNING: SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST 3 TMI BOOKS!!!🛑

This romantic getaway across Eurpe takes place after The Mortal War in City of Glass and occurs during City of Fallen Angels featuring our favourite warlock ~ Ultra Magnus Bane and his boyfriend, Alec Lightwood. (Why do I sound like I'm a
Kevin (Irish Reader)
3.5 Stars

Ok first of all that last sentence of the book and cliffhanger has me in so much shock! I need the sequel now!

I really loved getting a book just about Malec, as I love them so much! However, I found the plot of this book to be quite weak in comparison to other Cassandra Clare books. I also figured out the main twist very early in the book and felt that it wasn’t surprising. Despite all of this, the ending was really great and I will definitely continue with the series.

Overall slightly
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
My actual rating is more 4.75 but I love Malec so we're bumping it up to 5 stars.

This was the best thing to happen to Malec shippers ever. It was adorable and so queer and so fun and I loooooved it. Magnus and Alec are pure and should be protected at all costs. Also, we got Aline and Helen's origins and that's truly all we could want.

description

The only criticism I'd give is that the plot wasn't as strong as other Shadowhunter books, but I kind of liked that the romance was at the forefront.
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Out today, people!!!

4.5
WHAT THE WHAT?! That ending....???!?!?!

It literally pains me that I can't add quotes to this review but hey, I get it, it's an ARC and things are subject to change. Just know that I was highlighting like crazy the last 25%.
---
I can't lie, when I first found out that Cassie was writing ANOTHER series based in the Shadowhunter world, I was a little peeved. I mean I love Magnus, I really do, but I was just like "how much longer can all this be drug out?!"...I'm sure I'm not t
Beth
3.5 Stars!

Just to start off, I adored, hands down ADORED seeing Magnus and Alec at the beginning of their relationship, they're one of my favourite couples out of all of the Shadowhunter series! So for that alone I'd of given it 5 stars, however I just can't.

Full Rtc

---------
Magnus and Alex trilogy oh hellllll yeahhhhhh
———
09.04
I’m so jealous of all the reviews going up 😂 I ordered TWO copies, are either here? NOPE damn youuuuuuu 😂
———
I’m laughing so much! Guess whose copy just turned up, too impa
Beenish
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was definitely an amazing experience! I loved seeing Alec and Magnus's relationship grow. It's beautiful 😍

Rtc. (Can't believe I still haven't written it) XD
shirley ♡
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
[4.5⭐️]

This was such a great book, I need book 2 NOW!!!
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: i received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, this is no way impacted my review

Alec had been right about the darkness waiting in Magnus, and the pain waiting with it. All that darkness, and all that pain, and Magnus was somehow still a blazing riot of life and color, a source of joy for everyone around him. He was the reason Alec looked a mirror now and saw a complete person who did not have to hide.

The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
h o l l i s
A warrior chosen by angels and a well-dressed demon's child, in love and intent on adventure through Europe. What could go wrong?

I have so many quotes I want to use in this review and there's no way this is going to be long enough to use them all. Woe.

It was very clear Alec had not been on a proper vacation before. He kept trying to plan the holiday as if they were going into battle.

Anyway, it's been a long (long) time since I read CITY OF BONES or any books from the main, or first spin-off, ser
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
“If only the world were a fairy tale, Nephilim.”

description

I have finally got around to my most anticipated release of 2019 and it really didn’t disappoint! After the disaster that is Queen of Air and Darkness, I was really scared to read this but this reminded me of the Cassie Clare that I’ve loved all along.

Spoiler Free Overview
This book takes place I believe during City of Fallen Angels, but definitely after the war in City of Glass. It’s been so long since I’ve read The Mortal Instruments I’m not exac
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
3.5 Golden stars

Alec my favourite (21st century) shadowhunter owned a special series centered around him & Magnus! not a side character, but the main hero with Magnus! yes!
but I didn't have high expectations, so I enjoyed it!
such a beautiful ending!

It was cute & beautiful. While ago, I was looking for a romance book occurring in Paris (& all I found was WWII related, so I abandoned the hope) but this book happened in the city of light! City of love! (at least that little part of the book)

It’s Ma
Iris
AJHGFDGGHJGFDGHJFDDSDGH SO MANY FEELINGS I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT IS PERFECTION MAGNUS AND ALEC ARE MY FAVOURITES OH MY GODDD SO GOOD AHHHHHHHHHH!! ALSO HELEN AND ALINE OMG MY HEART! JUST MY HEART IN GENERAL THIS BOOK OH MY GOD SO MANY FEELINGS MY SHIP SO MUCH PAIN SO MUCH FLAILING AHHHHGFHJKGFDHJ!!!

Coherent review to come hopefully??
Emma
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

Full review here

I must say that I enjoyed this book a lot more than I had expected. I’m not gonna lie, I wasn’t very excited about this book, just because it’s set in the recent past and so I already know that they’re going to be fine and nothing major is going to happen to them. But I was pleasantly surprised because I found it enjoyable and also because I think this book laid the ground for the next two in the series.

Alec and Magnus are very cute and I enjoyed reading about their re
Cory Marie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though I tend to really like most books, I still try to be somewhat objective when reviewing them. Well, I’m just going to throw all of that nonsense out of the window right now because this book is about Malec- meaning, there is absolutely no way that I was going to rate it less than 5 stars.
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I know I don’t need to finish The Dark Artifices to read this but I like reading her series in Publication order... so... wtf am I going to do. *eye twitches*
Athena ღ
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will never get enough of Malec ❤❤❤
Written response 2 Carlos 1 7 Mar 27, 2020 03:02PM
The Red Scrolls of Magic 2 15 Dec 14, 2019 05:59AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The red scrolls of magic (The Eldest Curses #1) by Cassandra Clare - Restarting September 16th 2019 37 61 Sep 19, 2019 01:56AM
The End! (Spoiler Alert) 1 23 May 24, 2019 02:39PM

• Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
See top shelves…
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

The Eldest Curses (3 books)
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • The Black Volume of the Dead (The Eldest Curses, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Don’t you just hate that feeling of falling head over heels for a new series...and then having to wait anxiously (sometimes for years!) for...
“I’m not gay,” said Raphael. “I’m not straight. I’m not interested.” “Your sexuality is ‘not interested’?” Alec asked curiously. Raphael said, “That’s right.” 84 likes
“Magnus had always had a wanderer’s heart. Over the centuries, he had adventured in so many different places, always looking for something that would fulfill his restless hunger. He never realized how all the pieces could fall together, how home could be somewhere and someone. He belonged with Alec. His wandering heart could rest.” 61 likes