Start by marking “Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life” as Want to Read:
Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life

Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life

Sorting through a lifetime’s worth of accumulated possessions can be a daunting and stressful process that millions of Americans confront every year. The need to downsize often arises at a momentous life change, whether you’re an empty nester or retiree selling your family home, a newlywed blending your households, or you’re cleaning out your parents’ property after they’v ...more
Published February 14th 2017 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Let It Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let It Go

Regina
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I dunno, I don't think I learned anything new from this. My husband and I are downsizing our current household, so I listened to the audiobook more as encouragement while purging useless items. My grievance with the last Peter Walsh book I read was that he just said to throw things away, whereas here he goes into a little more detail in regards to steps to take before reaching that point. But ultimately I already know that I can donate items or sell them on Craigslist. Also, I don't really appre ...more
Kate
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book offered concrete, practical advice on dealing with clutter. He tackles some of the emotional issues like guilt in dealing with excess things and his advice helped me to let go of some items. It's also inspired me to display some treasures and I'm working on shadow boxes and other ways to display treasured items in my home.
Stacia
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, north-america
Ok, so this reading actually dovetails nicely with (the new-ish trend in decluttering) Swedish Death Cleaning as this particular book focuses mainly on people who are downsizing their own possessions & house size or having to downsize for their parents (who may have moved into assisted living or similar circumstances) or who are dealing with quickly having to downsize after a parent or parents pass away.

I like Peter Walsh, I've read at least one of his other books (maybe more than one), have
Linda Hartlaub
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There comes a time when you know you need to downsize to make life simpler. Then you look at all your "stuff" and realize that the simple idea of moving it all is overwhelming.

Enter Peter Walsh with a plan. Peter Walsh always has a plan. This time he looks directly at all the baby boomers and tells us "It's time". It's time to clean out the closets, the basement, and all those boxes that you haven't looked through in years (maybe decades). It's time to do this so that you can move into that hou
Bethany
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I have been wanting to read a Peter Walsh book for awhile because I’ve heard good things from friends and am in major purge mode right now. This was available without a wait at my library, so it was sort of chosen by default from the books he has written. I’m not sure if it was exactly what I am looking for right now, but it was packed with super useful information if you are helping a loved one downsize or downsizing after a loved one passes away, something I hope not to worry about for a long ...more
Laurie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring philosophy and practical tips on freeing ourselves from emotional ties to stuff. It includes helpful information on dealing with our parents' accummulation of things. Unfortunately for me, the library CD I was listening to had a blank Disc 4, which contained the most important advice from the book on dealing with my own accummulation. I've ordered another copy.
Janet
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book, it helped me think about my stuff, and now important it might not be. It also has me think about leaving things for my children to have to get rid of when I am gone.
Donna
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a kind of “default choice” because of the fact that the audio version was available when I needed another book. It focuses mostly on downsizing, or cleaning out a loved one’s home. It was interesting with many good tips on dealing with the clutter, deciding what to keep, and how to get rid of the rest. There was also a lengthy section on working peacefully with family members involved in the process with you.

I would recommend this book if I knew someone who was struggling with the
Bookjazzer2010
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Practical review of considerations in downsizing. Useful for me as I help my father move to assisted living.
Peyton-Leigh Holmes
Let me state off the bat that I didn’t even finish the book. I was hopeful that it would be full of useful info on how to downsize a parent. I even recommended it to my mom to help her (based on the topic). She didn’t get anything out of it either. It basically deals with the weighty emotions that can come with downsizing.

We were looking for a book that walks you through what to actually do with the stuff when there has been decades of accumulation. Things like weighing the pros and cons of yar
Andrea
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
There were some really good ideas and things to think about in this book. When cleaning out the clutter, you're not just removing the items...you also have to acknowledge the memories (good and bad) that are associated with them.
Julie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I like listening to Peter Walsh but that didn’t translate into reading the book. I was hoping for checklists.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: organizing
2.5, rounded up to three. I didn't enjoy this as much as I usually enjoy books on organizing, including those by Peter Walsh. However, I did make note of the following helpful excerpt:
I'm afraid that my life has been meaningless.
It's normal [when downsizing] to feel like you haven't accomplished enough. These feelings are especially common when your career is coming to a close or you're thinking about the declining vitality or death of a parent whose accomplishments seem bigger than yours.
Refram
Annburnett
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A book about downsizing to a smaller place and getting rid of the clutter.
Erin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I have heard Peter Walsh speak before on organizing and decluttering so I know it is solid advice and I would say this is the perfect book for people moving or cleaning a home for a deceased relative or major cleaning for a new season of life. So there are gems in here, but it didn't really focus on my smaller issues of decluttering or organizing I was looking for at this time.

If you have a lot of stuff and want or need to get rid of it, then this is the book for you. It addresses all the fears
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I wish this book was written last year so that I could have finished it before our home of 40 years sold and I already had two storage units full of "treasured items and worthy items" waiting to be moved into our downsized home when its construction will be finished before the end of June. Even if I were not ready to part with personal treasures and worthy household items, perhaps I could have been more disciplined in my thinking about labeling boxes for where the items will go instead of labeli ...more
Amanda
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very useful, workbook-type of book. I liked that Walsh delved into some of the psychology of holding on to stuff, but for me, this book was too focused on downsizing. It focused on two scenarios: 1) You have to sort through and downsize your parents' stuff due to a move to longterm care or a death, and 2) You are moving to a smaller place because you're older. So it wasn't very applicable to me, as a 26yo woman. All the principles still work even if you just want to have less stuff, bu ...more
Suzanne Tanner
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've been wanting to check out some other declutter literature since hopping on the Marie Kondo bandwagon, but this wasn't particularly the book for me. This one is mostly targeting people in a transition period where they need to downsize (moving to a smaller house, cleaning out a deceased parent's house, etc.), and that's not our situation at all (five people in a two bedroom apartment, we can really only go up from here). But I did appreciate a lot of what he had to say about our emotional co ...more
Betsy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yahoo for Peter Walsh who, once again, provides wisdom for creating meaningful change by downsizing. I have already implemented his advice of using our dining room table as the space to place all our life's treasures! If it starts to overflow, time to let go! Through his gentle coaching and kind methods, I gain confidence in lovingly giving things to people and places who might appreciate them.
Kip Ferguson
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio book version and I am very impressed with the content and advice provided. I have dealt with a few downsizing events with family members and wish I would have had this before hand.
Laura Gilfillan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Good advice for when you need to downsize for a move, or when you have to clean up after a loved one has passed on. Helpful tips and techniques, delivered with surprising compassion, recognizing the difficulties, and hopefully the ultimate rewards of making such an effort.
Elizabeth
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Save your time and skip this book. There weren't really any new ideas in the book. I found the layout to be annoying, with little text boxes or tips on many pages. Made it difficult to read straight through.
Ann
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing new here. Keep your treasures so they fit on your dining room table otherwise everything loses values if you have too much. So don't need to keep all the kids artwork, just some memorable ones.
Rebekah
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I can’t help but listen to any decluttering book I find. This one didn’t offer anything too groundbreaking for someone who is a chronic dejunker, but I enjoyed the personal anecdotes and it was motivating to listen to while I deep cleaned and went through my possessions once again.
Kelly
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of good stuff here about defining your "treasures" (so you know which to keep) and identifying the underlying emotions that make getting rid of stuff so difficult. Will be worth a reread when I am actually downsizing someday!
Dora
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good advice on how to approach downsizing, whether it is for yourself or a loved one you are helping.
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was good, and I love Peter Walsh. But I'm not downsizing, so this wasn't really for the "now."
Linda
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advice, 2017
Well written marriage of a motivational piece with factual how-to info. Audio was easy to listen to and accept suggestions.
Ron Souliere
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Good functional book.
Highlights different reasons for downsizing.
With different advise, for example downsizing your parents house may have different issues then downsizing your own.

Rose Anderson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A thorough guide to downsizing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Life Less Throwaway: The Lost Art of Buying for Life
  • The Omni Diet: Two Weeks to Lose Weight, Reverse Illness, and Control Your Genes
  • Operation Happiness: The 3-Step Plan to Creating a Life of Lasting Joy, Abundant Energy, and Radical Bliss
  • Downsizing the Family Home: What to Save, What to Let Go
  • New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain  Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • Who Was Milton Bradley?
  • The Art of Baking with Natural Yeast: Breads, Pancakes, Waffles, Cinnamon Rolls and Muffins
  • Messages from Water and the Universe
  • Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets
  • Mastering the Art of Quitting: Why It Matters in Life, Love, and Work
  • Beyond Anger: A Guide for Men: How to Free Yourself from the Grip of Anger and Get More Out of Life
  • Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu
  • The 7-Day Christian: How Living Your Beliefs Every Day Can Change the World
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • The Complete Book of Clean: Tips & Techniques for Your Home
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel