Start by marking “Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania, #7)” as Want to Read:
Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania, #7)

Get to Work, Hercules!

(Myth-O-Mania #7)

Heard the one about Hercules slaying a lion with his bare hands and making a cloak from its skin? That was no cloak--Hercules was wearing the lion. We're talking Siegfried and Roy here! Sure, Hercules had great big muscles. But he had an itty-bitty brain. He couldn't have done even one heroic deed if that lion hadn't been there, telling him exactly what to do. ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Volo

To ask other readers questions about Get to Work, Hercules!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get to Work, Hercules!

Start your review of Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania, #7)
Echo
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute little story about Hercules. Very much edited so there was no bloodshed, but still funny.
Ashley W
Knee Jerk Reaction: This book ruined the Hercules myth for me!

I had high hopes for this book, and it didn't disappoint, per se, but it didn't give me what I wanted either. Rather than give me a whole new story on how HERCULES completed his twelve tasks, it tells about how basically everyone else completed them for him. I mean, it isn't that outlandish considering most of the stories in this series are telling about how the heroes didn't really accomplish their feats, but rather, Hades did. (Exce
Hao huang
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth-o-mania
Get To Work, Hercules! Is the second last of the series Myth-O-Mania by Kate McMullan. This story is about how Hercules finished the 12 impossible labors tasks with some help from Hades.

When you think Hercules, you’ll relate hero to him right? But he had an itty-bitty brain, without his friends help he couldn’t even slay down the first labor. This story shows us that sometimes getting some help from your friends can be really great.
Linda
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Once again, King Hades, Ruler of the Underworld (K.H.R.O.T.U. for short) sets the story straight on Greek myths. This time, the spotlight is on Hercules, who, although he was strong, was not very bright. It seems he had a lot of help on his XII (12) Labors, not only from his Uncle Hades, but also from some of the monsters he supposedly killed.

(I should have asked this earlier: Why are ancient Greeks using Roman numerals? By their own origin story, Romans are supposedly descended from Aeneas, a T
SK Lou
Mar 17, 2022 rated it did not like it
To be honest, as an 8th grader who was forced to read this thing, it's tormented me(I'd rather read Charles Dickens or Sherlock Holmes). Not trying to be too harsh on a children's book here, but since I have read most of the Greek myths at the age of 9, I find this book not "humorous" or funny at all, rather more like slandering. I have always liked Hercules and think that this parody would go for a more brain-based hero, but nope. Hades and the friends he was supposed to slay do all the work do ...more
Eliza Lagonia
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Michelle
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I read this with my 8 year old son. He's had a little experience when Greek gods from movies. This book was still too advanced for him. I had to stop and explain things to him constantly, which isn't a bad thing but it took from the story. I had to explain what some things were (chariot, ...more
Tumata Garbutt
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this versions of the greek myths. real fun reading.
EK Braun
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2017
It was good,OK,It was great!I really like Myths.I also like the movie version.
Elizabeth McNair Demolat
It was a fun story. I could see some of my students enjoying it, and if I did a Greek mythology unit I might try to get a copy for the class.
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember reading those as kids! 4/5 for accuracy, but otherwise they're pretty fun and entertaining. ...more
Historic  Hummingbird
Lol I loved it! SO funny!
Brice Culhane
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this one a lot- Hercules is a character!
Declan Fitzsimons
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
At the beginning of the book it starts off with how hercules got born how a mortal married a immortal princess. so fast forward hercules is born and every god seems to notice that hercules is quite the strong type considering his mortality meaning he can die.

After the beginning it really just told how he was raised but lets fast forward to when hes a adult. So he was raised on a farm by two mortals who took care of livestock, so he was a work boy. The reason why the title is named Get to work.
Rad Silvestri
Jan 20, 2016 is currently reading it
Personal Response: I really liked this book because, I enjoy mythology and it added a comedic feel toward mythology. It made me laugh a bunch of times.

Plot:It started of as Hades wanted to go to a wrestling match, when baby Hercules was born. Baby Hercules was given to a nursemaid so that Hera wouldn't find him. The nursemaid lost baby Hercules, so Artemis and Hera had found him. He was given to two different gods who lived on a farm. He lived on that farm when two people came and offered him tw
Dolly
This is the seventh book in the Myth-O-Mania series by Kate McMullan. These books are fun to read and have a youthful and humorous perspective that makes it simple for people to remember the various characters and their stories.

We are balancing these fun tales off with more classic fare, like The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey by Rosemary Sutcliff, so our girls can hear the original tales, too.

This book offers a humorous take on the story of the Twelve labors of Hercules - we
Dujuan
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read a fantastic book called get to work Hercules,written by Kate McMullen. It has some of our greatest gods like Hades, Zues, Persephone, and a lot of monsters

it starts of with a fantastic hero named Hercules. He was just born. after he is born everyone thinks he has a bad temper, because he was playing with his cousin Eury, and he hits him in the head with a ball twice and Eury´s mom tells everyone in the village. after that he gets sent to Hades uncle and auntie at there farm.

After 1
Owen
This book is about greek myths but from hadies's point of view. This one is about Hercules witch means for the glory of Hera in romen. Herculies needs to complete his 12 labors, but with the help of Hadies and a talking lion to gain Hera's respect.

I can make a text to text connnection to this book. In the book Herculies always has a partner in this case its Hadies. In the book im readeing Son Of The Mob. In this book Vincint always has his friend alex with him.

I would reccomend this book to
Anthony Y
I have recently read get to work, Hercules .This book has some comedy and if you like greek myths you will really like it. I like how in the prolog( wich no one reads) he uses acronims a lot like U.H.T.T.R wich means uncle Hades to the rescue and T.B.F.B.O.G.M wich the big fat book of Greek myths. One of the funniest parts are when he calls Zuse T-BAMZ the big and mighty Zuse( he says it sarcastically). The thing with the main character ( in this cace Hercules ) is they alway are messed up some ...more
Raymond
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quarter-1
I think that the book is a really funny spin on all the greek myth that we see. These books make Hades look like a good guy and zues look like a fool. THis book is the myth o mania version of the myth of Hercules. Hercules is to complete the 12 task that is seem to be impossible. In the original myth he does it on his own, but then in this goof off version, it tells that Hercules was an idiot and Hades gave alot of help for this.
Miss Clark
Mason Hamilton
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek
I really love this book. ever since my friend suggested i had been hooked onto this series of how the gods have been born and lived up to there 12 labors. Get to work Hercules is my favorite especially with his big group of creatures, animals and monsters. I like his Lioness Cee that has been captured by the first labor that was done unkowingly.
Jack
Dec 09, 2016 is currently reading it
Get to work Hercules by kate Mcmullan
Hercules is training to be a hero and has 12 labors to work on. My favorite part is when Hercules fights Hydra. I recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about Hercules and greek gods. This book is fun to read.
Stacey Mulholland
Just didn't like the style. Kids might like all the acronyms and modern references but I didn't. The Greek gods didn't use them (especially not cell phones). ...more
John Patrick Feeney Jr
Good but,......

This book is great! But if your a kindle fire reader, don't get it. It crashes every time I read it. I don't even know the ending. Hope they fix this.
Vanessa
Pretty good, I like Kate Mcmullan's books just not a fan of all the I STINK! books ...more
Melissa
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Parts of the book don't really fit (specifically when Hades returns to the underworld) with the story. ...more
Abi
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one better than the last one. The author really cut down on the annoying made-up words. It was nice. I liked Hercules. I finished this in about an hour, maybe less.
Kathy
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just a fun, fun series to read.
Majd
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
NOT BAD BUT NOT GREAT

• Kid Youtuber 8: Trending (a hilarious adventure for children ages 9-12): From the Creator of Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Brooklyn House Magician's Manual
  • Cat Kid Comic Club: On Purpose
  • All Work and No Play: A Collection of Sundays (Big Nate)
  • Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard (Peter Nimble, #2)
  • Kid Youtuber 5: You're Welcome (a hilarious adventure for children ages 9-12): From the Creator of Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • Kid Youtuber 3: The Struggle is Real (a hilarious adventure for children ages 9-12): From the Creator of Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja
  • Kid Youtuber 4: Because Obviously (a hilarious adventure for children ages 9-12): From the Creator of Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja
  • Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)
  • Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5)
  • Echo the Copycat (Goddess Girls, #19)
  • Kid Youtuber
  • Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
  • The Son of Sobek (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover, #1)
  • Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3)
Kate McMullan is an American children's book author.
She is the author of the Dragon Slayers' Academy series. She is married to author and illustrator James McMullan.

Myth-O-Mania (10 books)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)
  • Nice Shot, Cupid! (Myth-O-Mania, #4)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Keep a Lid on It, Pandora! (Myth-O-Mania, #6)
  • Go for the Gold, Atalanta! (Myth-O-Mania, #8)
  • Hit the Road, Helen! (Myth-O-Mania, #9)
  • Get Lost, Odysseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #10)