Start by marking “The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)

The 13th Hex

(Hexworld 0.5)

Romance. Magic.
Murder.

Dominic Kopecky dreamed of becoming a member of New York’s Metropolitan Witch Police—a dream dashed when he failed the test for magical aptitude. Now he spends his days drawing the hexes the MWP relies on for their investigations.

But when a murder by patent hex brings crow familiar Rook to his desk, Dominic can’t resist the chance to experience magic.
ebook, 2nd edition, 53 pages
Published April 5th 2016 by Jordan L. Hawk (first published August 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Hex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th Hex

Ingie
Review written May 14, 2016

3 Stars - Just a short series-teaser. I'm on!

Book #0.5

BR weekend with Sofia: Ms. Hawk's new HR-para M/M series 'Hexworld'. We start with reading this short teaser novella and continue with the recently published first book #1-Hexbreaker. — YAY! Big hopes for a good new great JLH adventure series.

*********************************************

Dominic Kopecky is a ordinary pen-pusher drawing hexes (a hexman) for investigations at New York’s Metropolitan Witch Police (MWP
Barbara➰
Leave it to Jordan Hawk to get me out of a slump. This was fast but oh so sweet. I loved both characters. Now I’m invested in this world. On to Hexbreaker.
Heidi Cullinan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, I loved this story except I also HATED IT because it was so short and I wanted this book to last forever. Okay, no. I loved it full stop, I can't hate it, but I am so sad because I just loved these guys. I'm going to reread it endlessly because I love everything about Rook and want to read his life with Dominic serialized. "Dominic and Rook fetch milk." I'll read it.

Currently lobbying Ms. Hawk for a full Rook/Dominic novel. Please join me.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Even Jordan L. Hawk's short stories impress and enthrall me. Fangirls gonna fangirl, I guess.

The 13th Hex is very short, yes, but it is also very entertaining. And sweet. And a whole lot of fun. As usual, Hawk has created an intriguing world of magic and mayhem, and I can't wait to read more.

And I mean that literally because I'm starting Hexbreaker as soon as I post this review.
Em
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh dear, this is a difficult one. I'm a huge fan of Jordan L. Hawk and was itching to start on this series but I'm not totally into these guys yet. I'm not a huge fan of instant attraction and everything felt a bit rushed BUT I can see the huge potential and hopefully Hexbreaker will win me over. Fingers crossed!
Nerea
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Gaslights and candles era, magic, shifters, mystery and love story !!!! My cup of tea!
This novella is beautiful and I think is pretty useful as introduction to the hexword universe. To know a bit of how the witches police department work, the bond between witches and familiars (the shifters) and the hexs!

Dying to start Hexworld!! :”)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Short introduction to what I am sure is going to be quite the interesting world.
C.S. Poe
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The 13th Hex is a fantastic introduction to one of Hawk's newest universes, Hexworld. Everything about this series is unique and complex. A breath of fresh air to both the historical paranormal genre, as well as the shifter genre. Characters are multi-layered with the full gambit of human interactions: love, joy, hurt, embarrassment, pain, and growth. Relationships are sweet, heartbreaking, erotic, and beautiful.

In this short story, we meet one of the first of many reoccurring characters: Domini
Sofia
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it

A good start - going to continue.

Read with Ingela
Pixie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Pixie by: Wart Hill
Short 50 page intro to a series. I thought it did what something this short should do which was peak my interest. I read it based on a review & would read the next. I think JLH writes characters that for some reason I find instantly likable. I root for them even if I’m not entirely sure why.
Kaje Harper
Cute, light and short introduction to the world of a new series.
Richard Derus
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Rating: 3.5* of five

A perfectly fine story. I like Rook a lot, but am less enamored of Dominic Kopecky. I just wanted a toe-dip into the world of the series before committing myself to it. This short tale was enough to allow me to get the sense of what Author Hawk was planning...a New York City imbued with magical energy that expresses itself via pseudoscientific means...to see if this could keep my soap-opera lovin' story-slurpin' soul from parching into dust. I mean, Whyborne & Griffin is
Ami

I thought the combination of witches, familiars, and non-magical officer like hexmen was interesting set-up. I enjoyed that part most definitely. However, the 'mystery' was just okay, and it was solved quickly. It didn't have the complex and complete world-built feel like Lou Harper's story. Plus everything between Dominic and Roox also happened pretty fast in a kind of 'soulmate / soulbond' kind of manner (which not always a favorite trope of mine)

PS: Review originally written for Char
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
"This is awful." Cicero complained, wringing his sodden clothing. "I'm not your friend anymore, Rook."

"I've some fresh cream back in the barracks."

"Fine." Cicero tossed his head. "I might reconsider. After the cream."

From the second Cicero appeared on page I was in love.

Jordan L. Hawk builds worlds like a BOSS!!

This short is about Rook (a crow) and Dominic (a Hexmaker) and it is an absolutely wonderful introduction to the Hexworld. Witches and Familiars. Magic and Hexes. I'm hooked.

Jewel
3.5

I wish it had been longer, but it was a lovely intro to the series!
Suki Fleet
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Very, very neat. Nicely done short story^^
Bev

3.5 rounded up to 4 stars for this little novella, the precursor to the new Hexworld series by Jordan. This story first appeared in Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy, and I enjoyed it then. I have a very good feeling about the new series, a very good feeling indeed.
Pavellit
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd almost missed this short prequel of the great JLH adventure series. Just a little caprice of mine- everything between Dominic and Roox happened a bit faster then I'd love to. Nevertheless, this magical energy is there. Also, the world of witches, their familiars and hexmakers. An absolute joy!
Eugenia
Fast-paced short. 4 Stars.

A great prequel to the Hexworld series, or refresher before reading #2. Like always, Jordan L. Hawk creates characters that are unique and you want to get to know better.
Cadiva
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint - it's too short!

I've never read a Jordan Hawk book before but she keeps cropping up on my feed and my recommended reading lists so I figured I'd give this one a go and I'm glad I did.

While this is incredibly short, it serves as a wonderful introduction to this new setting, a sort of steampunk imagining of New York which rather had a feel of Dickensian London to its alleyways, steeps and carriages.

While there was a bit of insta love, I'm reading it with the view of a bonding ty
Lilia Ford
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I always appreciate these shorts, especially when they fill out intriguing worlds like Hawk's, but I do find it hard to know the right measures for evaluating them. Though this story is billed as a prequel, I read this after the first two books, which may be why I mostly found it disappointing. Rook is definitely one of the more colorful side characters in the novels and there are plenty of hints that his relationship with Dominic was full of fireworks, so I was really surprised at how bland Dom ...more
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
I enjoyed this story, though not as much as I was hoping. Still it was an enjoyable read and I had no complaints. It was a short story but it also felt rushed, like I would have preferred this couple got their own fully fleshed out story. C'est la vie.
Don Bradshaw
A great beginning to hopefully a great series. There's a little bit of everything in this short, magic, romance, a murder case, corruption and familiars that shift. Much like Ms Hawk's other series, there are plot twists and just plain fun in this prize.
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A tasty tidbit!

A great start to a new series.

It is very short but it feels fleshed out and gives a small taste of how the series will go.
Jules Lovestoread
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So. Freaking. Cool.

Gah - I love this new world. And, I would read more of Dominic and Rook right now!

More, please. :) <333333
Daphne
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, 2016-books
A quirky little short that introduces the world of hex makers, witches and familiars. Although short, this story packed a lot in to the length. I like it!
Daesy
Damn! I needed more of this book, it was too short and I'm so curious about what's gonna happen next, that I started already the next book. The MCs of this story were pretty similar to Whyborne and Griffin, but I still liked them, and I tried to focus on this plot and to forget about the similarities.
Santy
2.5 Stars

This was a short short short prequel to Hexbreaker in the Hexworld series.

This was short so I dint really want to overanalyze it. I'll just say that i liked it.

It was about how Rook and Dominic from Hexbreaker met and became witch and familiar.It didn't give me enough satisfaction and I would've loved at least 20 more pages to give it more flavour but alas it wasnt to be!

All in all good start to the series.
Wandering Reader
Originally read as part of the Charmed & Dangerous anthology, the initial story of a wonderful series.
Shelby
I loved this introduction to this series (I know there's another book out for it already). I was enthralled with the way the world was established and Dominic captured my heart right away with his earnest nature. I love Rook's passion to find the truth. Such a good beginning to a series I'm now super excited to dig into reading. I liked the way magic and practitioners were divided up. It's an interesting spin on the genre. Just enough intrigue to keep the short interesting and believably throw R ...more
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • Moondrop
  • Behind the Eight Ball (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, # 2)
  • Impact Ripples
  • Launch the Hunt (Grizzly Rim #1)
  • Dipping His Pen in the Office Ink
  • Belligerent Beta (Pack Partners #2)
  • Another Place in Time
  • The Festivus Miracle
  • Needing You
  • Caged
Jordan L. Hawk is a non-binary queer author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave them a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When they aren’t writing, they brew their own beer and try to keep the cats from destroying the house. Their best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, ...more

Hexworld (4 books)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)